Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I think my bird has more fun just cracking them open more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
Maaan, I gotta get Captain's hormones under control. She is a horny birdy, just about every time I have her on my shoulder or finger as a perch she starts her sexy head bob dance. And while it is quite appealing, I'm a married man! My wife is getting jealous.

Also, I think she's starting to try to figure out how to regurgitate.

Is it just me or is it really weird for a bird this young to already be doing that sort of stuff?

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

The cutest little fascist

SquadronROE posted:

Maaan, I gotta get Captain's hormones under control. She is a horny birdy, just about every time I have her on my shoulder or finger as a perch she starts her sexy head bob dance. And while it is quite appealing, I'm a married man! My wife is getting jealous.

Also, I think she's starting to try to figure out how to regurgitate.

Is it just me or is it really weird for a bird this young to already be doing that sort of stuff?

Ozzy used to do the head bobbing thing a lot when he was a baby too. Not sure if he grew out of it or if we trained him out of it. Just set the bird down on a perch or something when she start doing the bobbing and pick her back up when she stops if you want to discourage it. That is what we used to do.

I don't remember how old Captain is, but if she is only a couple months old, I would interpret the head bobbing more as baby "feed/pay attention to me!" behavior than trying to woo you.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

What Pip said. Zeke and Zoe are decrepit and ancient, but they still head bob/tap with their beaks when they want something like kisses or to be picked up and carried. I know they're thinking about sexy times when they try to masturbate on me.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Wait, headbobbing is sexual? My GCC does it all the time..all. the. drat. time.

Also, I wish Cody wasnt such the biggest jerkface. Once I ask him to stepup out of his cage, hes great, but in it, hes just a monster wanting to tear flesh apart. I think. I tend to stick leafy greens or fruit or whatever between the bars so birds can go at it, but he'll race for my hands and try to bite fingers. If I offer greens to him directly, he'll rip em up and toss em in his conurerage. Hes all fluffed up and doing his head bob thing which to me says FK YOU.

i hate birds

>: O
cooking him and serving him to the cockatiels

I dont actually get bit since its manageable but even trying to open the cage door, theres a lot of stand right at door and try to get those fingers. If Im really bothering though, he knows that I wont open it until he goes stand by a perch I specify. Lazy though so I just beakdodge.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

Bobbing the head can be a begging motion (head tilted up, wings trembling, what baby birds do to indicate to mama that they're hungry and need noms/GIVE ME WHAT I WAAANT), a display of aggression (puffed up feathers, open mouth, pinning eyes), or an indication of sexual interest if they start to regurgitate food up for you. I think BirdChannel had some picture/video guides? Or that may have been from one of its magazines.

Malalol
Apr 4, 2007

I spent $1,000 on my computer but I'm too "poor" to take my dog or any of my animals to the vet for vet care. My neglect caused 1 of my birds to die prematurely! My dog pisses everywhere! I don't care! I'm a piece of shit! Don't believe me? Check my post history in Pet Island!
Heres a vid from last year, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bd-SiCxd_k
Mostly headbobs everywhere..he doesnt wing shake but he wingflicks a lot. I know I get pretty handsy when I pet him but how can you resist :ohdear: Ill try to look for that vid or guide

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis did this for almost 15 minutes. Note that he already was in the shower with me this morning. Yes, water got everywhere. I stopped giggling at him long enough to take this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laxpV62bPXU

Listen for the little gurgling sound when he sticks his head under the water.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Kenshin posted:

Alexis did this for almost 15 minutes. Note that he already was in the shower with me this morning. Yes, water got everywhere. I stopped giggling at him long enough to take this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=laxpV62bPXU

Listen for the little gurgling sound when he sticks his head under the water.

Ozzy does that every morning after I change his water :kimchi:

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
Jacques has arrived! I just got him situated and covered for the night. After a 11 hour car ride he's needless to say a little freaked out!

He appears to have plucked a few feathers, but nothing damaging. No primaries, secondaries or tail feathers.
He looks, to me, very thin for a seed fed bird, tomorrow I'm going to try some supplement dusted carrots and maybe piece of fruit or two. His wings look very atrophied, from what my brothers girlfriend says the previous owners had a scare where he nearly got loose. After that they were too afraid to take him out of the cage... :smith:

But hey, if I can fledge kestrel chicks, I sure as hell can get a cockatiel flying again! Jacques, you're in for a Rocky level montage of training.

... Picture time! In the coming days... expect more. :3:

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

He looks quite stressed, haha. Poor guy.

You're also right that he looks really thin. Most people here feed their birds with a base diet of nutritional pellets. Then we'll add in fresh fruit and veggies and, if the bird is adventurous enough, some of whatever we are also eating. Keep this link handy (https://www.avianweb.com/toxicfoods.html) and check before you feed because birds will definitely gladly gorge themselves on some of these items. He may need some seeds and pellets mixed together while transitioning, they sometimes straight up starve themselves dead if you go cold turkey onto pellets.

And one more thing: give that bird a shower! Misting with a bottle is probably your best bet right now, but he really needs a wash.

He isn't a bad looking 'tiel at all, though. Here's to a good, long life for Jacques with you!

Lenswork
Mar 27, 2010
He's so cute! I love reading about someone so excited and ready to love a bird and care for them right. Zippy was seed fed for 9 years before I started caring for her, and she came to me underweight with very atrophied muscles. She's put on 20 grams since she started flying and has had a proper diet, and it's been a joy to see her fledge and grow as she becomes more personable every day.

If you've done kestrels I think Jacques is going to be just fine. I would love a photo update as time goes on; not only will he look better, but you're going to have a wonderful time building a long term bond with your little buddy.

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
His wings are very atrophied I'm afraid. Once he trusts me enough to step up and come out of his cage I'm certainly going to have my work cut out for me. I'm really looking forward to it. I'm going to try and get him onto pellets and vegies ASAP. It sounds weird, but its going to be strange for me to not have to cut apart starling chicks to fatten up a bird.

He's covered in the corner with a leopard print snuggie(tm), I hope he's comfortable. I may or may not be trying to type softly so I don't wake him.

Oh, here's a question I am only just realizing. How are teils with noise late at night? I generally fall asleep watching youtube videos, will this bother him? Or can they sleep as long as it's dark?

Yeah, he desperately needs a bath and a good preening. Luckily I've got no shortage of misting bottles handy for my snakes! I swear misting bottles are the easiest things to lose on the planet.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

My birds spent a year sharing a bedroom with a night owl deaf in one ear (uh, me). I turned my volume down and they were fine. v :) v

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
The morning light has shed some rather sad news, I got to see Jacques stretch his wings for the first time and one of them is very plucked on its underside. Again, I don't think any of it is lasting damage, but it was very sad to see.
He's whistling to me from the corner, and was taking millet from my hand, but really doesn't like it when I open the cage door.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

My cockatiel was also thin when I got him (about 60ish grams, if I remember rightly) despite an all seed diet. The seed he had was a budgie mix though, and he was flighted and allowed out a lot, so I guess he was burning off the little energy that he was getting. Now he eats good quality seed mix designed for cockatiels/Australian parrots (the pellets available here aren't suitable for him, and Harrisons is insanely expensive to buy/ship, especially for a bird that might not eat them), and a variety of vegetables and assorted foods. He loves rice, corn, and red pepper especially, as well as Cheerios.

It's great that he was taking millet from you so quickly, even if the cage being open is still scary right now.

Hobo Camp
Aug 8, 2006

No problo, Rob Lowe.
Aw, Jacques. But he's gorgeous and I'm glad he has someone who will properly care for him now.

Vet visit yesterday went great. The vet assured me Arya is a Quaker even though she looks like a green pigeon. She is older than Nico, but apparently she's gonna be on the small side. Both weigh 88 grams, both are well fed and hydrated. Nico has to stay on formula a little while longer because apparently he's so young that his beak is still soft :ohdear:. We're going back for the Chlamydia test.

I'm SO relieved! Never, EVER give someone surprise parrots for their birthday.

Meanwhile, Nico thinks his formula is the best thing ever:

http://youtu.be/VmeqOtD1vu8

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape
I just picked up some of the Zupreem fruit mix, we'll see how he likes it! So far he's just looked at it puzzled. My worry is that each piece is quite a bit larger than the millet and sunflower he's been fed up till now. I had to pick up the medium-large verity, as that's all they had.
I mixed it 60-40 with a fortified molting mix to try and promote feather growth. If the ML pellets are too large, I'll just crush them with a mortar and pestle until I can order the proper size off amazon.

What's the general consensus on liquid vitamins in their water?

Is it just me or does the fruit mix smell delicious?

Edit: He's eating it!! With a little difficulty, it could defiantly benefit from being smaller. But with the way he's going at it, he likes it!

Edit2: He ventured out of his cage with the lure of treats! After he ate his fill he climbed straight to the top of the cage and hung out for a while before it became apparent he had no idea how to get back down to the door. I had to drape a tee shirt over him and return him to the safety of the cage.
cage covered for now, nap time for Jacques.

Diabeesting fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Jul 6, 2013

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

The harrisons we get for scout is a little too big and she ends up dropping them through the cage bars all the time so we crush them up into smaller but manageable chunks in our mortar and pestle. The next size down is too small.

Shark Sandwich
Sep 6, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Munnin The Crab posted:

I just picked up some of the Zupreem fruit mix, we'll see how he likes it! So far he's just looked at it puzzled. My worry is that each piece is quite a bit larger than the millet and sunflower he's been fed up till now. I had to pick up the medium-large verity, as that's all they had.
I mixed it 60-40 with a fortified molting mix to try and promote feather growth. If the ML pellets are too large, I'll just crush them with a mortar and pestle until I can order the proper size off amazon.

What's the general consensus on liquid vitamins in their water?

Is it just me or does the fruit mix smell delicious?

Edit: He's eating it!! With a little difficulty, it could defiantly benefit from being smaller. But with the way he's going at it, he likes it!

If you can find the parakeet-sized one get that. It's the same ingredients. The cockatiel sized zupreem is hard for tiels to eat. Mine used to crack them over the hood of the dish and lick up the crumbs. Of course this meant pellets everywhere.

Official Bizness
Dec 4, 2007

wark wark wark

http://youtu.be/X6qO8hR9rrY

First video of Zeke (and Zoe, sort of). It's too hot to do anything but cuddle/annoy birds. Mamacita and Dio are whining about something in the background.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Bath time for Hannah!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vgCxt2ESqNo

Jose Oquendo fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jul 6, 2013

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Oh God, Pookie does exactly this - dip beak in bowl, flick tiny amount of water, flap wings in a hopeless attempt to get imaginary water into feathers.

Repeat until bored.

She's actually not too appalling about baths anymore; I finally got her used to the concept of misting and after spending too much time with sore hands from the manual psh psh psh - type of mister, I got one of the big garden ones that you pump to build up pressure so that you get several minutes of strong misting and then if she's in the right mood she'll fluff up and wash properly in the spray.

On a different note, we're in the middle of a (rare) mini heatwave and Pookie spent about eight hours outside in the sun (shaded) today and ate 2 walnuts in their shells and a big wedge of melon. Miss Lady the Budgie sheltered under my pith helmet and chattered at the sparrows. It was a good day.

:3:

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

Everyone had the same idea today I guess, take videos of birds :kimchi:

Here are my birds doing bird stuff, it's not super interesting but they are cute. Nugget likes to run around on the floor and eat the pellets that Ozzy throws out of his cage: http://youtu.be/A8Kv6_aoSGo

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Pookah posted:

Oh God, Pookie does exactly this - dip beak in bowl, flick tiny amount of water, flap wings in a hopeless attempt to get imaginary water into feathers.

Repeat until bored.

She's actually not too appalling about baths anymore; I finally got her used to the concept of misting and after spending too much time with sore hands from the manual psh psh psh - type of mister, I got one of the big garden ones that you pump to build up pressure so that you get several minutes of strong misting and then if she's in the right mood she'll fluff up and wash properly in the spray.

On a different note, we're in the middle of a (rare) mini heatwave and Pookie spent about eight hours outside in the sun (shaded) today and ate 2 walnuts in their shells and a big wedge of melon. Miss Lady the Budgie sheltered under my pith helmet and chattered at the sparrows. It was a good day.

:3:

Do you not take Pookie in the shower? It's like ultimate birdy paradise, as far as Teeka 'too is concerned. After a good blow dry the dude like to sit either outside in our goddamn desert heat or by a heat and lamp and just fluff for four or five hours.

Actually I think we're showering him tomorrow or Monday, so hopefully I can get some video of him assuming the F-15E(C) STRIKE COCKATOO position during Operation Enduring Hairdryer.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

Eejit posted:

Do you not take Pookie in the shower? It's like ultimate birdy paradise, as far as Teeka 'too is concerned. After a good blow dry the dude like to sit either outside in our goddamn desert heat or by a heat and lamp and just fluff for four or five hours.

Actually I think we're showering him tomorrow or Monday, so hopefully I can get some video of him assuming the F-15E(C) STRIKE COCKATOO position during Operation Enduring Hairdryer.

She is not a fan of the shower, we tried it a few times but she just freaked out and ran off.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Hannah just sits in the corner and growls. I will try to get some video of it.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Speaking of baths/showers, Ohtori had a bath in the sink this morning-I should try and get new video of it, because now he slides into the sink and water by himself over and over instead of being placed there in the first place/when he flaps out in excitement. He also always does it backwards.

Later Steve decided a vigorous misting would be awesome, and now he's drying off-but in the middle, 'Tori decided he wanted to be sprayed too, so he also had an excited spray bath, before he'd even fully dried from his sink bath. :3: I got video/photos of both, but don't know if they're any good or interesting enough to share.

Gonna repost this Ohtori video though because it's so drat cute: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flPzpfZY22c

Pip pip pip posted:

Everyone had the same idea today I guess, take videos of birds :kimchi:

Here are my birds doing bird stuff, it's not super interesting but they are cute. Nugget likes to run around on the floor and eat the pellets that Ozzy throws out of his cage: http://youtu.be/A8Kv6_aoSGo

Cockatiels look hilarious when they're running at full speed across the floor. Tap-tap-tap-tap-tap

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
Alexis just spent an amazingly quiet 30 minutes on my shoulder stuffing himself with dried blackcurrants. It looks like there's dried blood on this shirt now. :v:

He also seems to actually like the Zupreem Fruit Blend, so the transition off seeds might accelerate!

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum

Munnin The Crab posted:

Is it the kind of thing I should gradually do, or is it like sticking a hawk in a tube ("Oh hey, I can't see anything, I must either be dead or safe. I'll stop jamming my talons into this fleshy hand now").

I'm pleased to learn this is actually a thing. I started out putting a carboard tube over my sun conure's head as a game (he loves it for some inexplicable reason) and finding out that it's also a good way to calm him down was a happy accident. Now I don't feel mean about doing it to him.

He just discovered he can pick up the paper towel on the bottom of his cage and has decided hiding under it is fun. So is hauling it up to the top of the cage and shredding it while hanging upside down, apparently.

Lolie fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Jul 8, 2013

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
Hello, the OP link about blood feathers is dead and I have a question about a four year old Canary I recently adopted.

It looks like one of his blood feathers somehow got twisted, and today it broke off. It's on his wing, and doesn't appear to be actively bleeding. It is broken off quite close to the skin, and only protrudes a few millimeters.

I am quite nervous to try to remove it from his tiny fragile wing, is it possible for the bird to be okay with the nub left in, assuming it isn't bleeding, or do I absolutely need to remove the damaged blood feather?

Prompt replies would be greatly appreciated -he's worrying me - though he still seems active, chirpy, and happy.

Thanks.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
If it's not actively bleeding I don't think you need to remove it. It should fall out on its own (and/or your bird will preen it out) soon. If it's not actively hurting him then waiting is fine--the longer you wait, the less blood is flowing through the (remainder of the) feather.

You may also call a local avian vet and ask their opinion, but in all likelihood your canary is fine.

EDIT: Wikipedia notes that:

quote:

To stop bleeding from a pin feather, it is necessary to pluck the feather from its base.
Since it isn't bleeding, I think you are safe with not plucking it.

Pip pip pip
Oct 24, 2010

EMCF posted:

Hello, the OP link about blood feathers is dead and I have a question about a four year old Canary I recently adopted.

It looks like one of his blood feathers somehow got twisted, and today it broke off. It's on his wing, and doesn't appear to be actively bleeding. It is broken off quite close to the skin, and only protrudes a few millimeters.

I am quite nervous to try to remove it from his tiny fragile wing, is it possible for the bird to be okay with the nub left in, assuming it isn't bleeding, or do I absolutely need to remove the damaged blood feather?

Prompt replies would be greatly appreciated -he's worrying me - though he still seems active, chirpy, and happy.

Thanks.

I would call your vet if I were you. The advise about removing blood feathers is really assuming that you are doing it to a bird that is hand-tamed and a little bigger than a canary. It is really hard for us to say over the internet whether or not your bird will be okay as is.

EMCF
Feb 21, 2007
Here is an image of the broken feather, it wasn't really bleeding, but I applied a small amount of flour as a precaution. I likely will give the vet a call, but if anyone has any advice to give me from this image I'm all ears.

EMCF fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jul 8, 2013

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

If he let you get in there to apply flour, you could probably pluck it. The vet would probably still be a wise idea though.

Also, image won't load. OP updated with working link.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Jul 8, 2013

Diabeesting
Apr 29, 2006

turn right to escape

He can fly! Very short distances, but he still remembers how! Getting him in full flying condition is going to be easier than I thought.

He's taking to the Zupreem quite well after I crushed it up, but still goes a little crazy for millet.

Once he's actually out of his cage he immediately remembers commands like "Step Up" and is actually quite pleasant to hang out with, if you don't mind his rigid determination to try and pull off your thumbnail.
He is extremely defensive of his cage, even when he is obviously trying to get you to come pick him up. He won't fly away from his cage, and gets extremely displeased when you pick him up. But once he's away from it he has the time of his life! Anyone have tips on discouraging this defensiveness?

Marshmallow Blue
Apr 25, 2010

Munnin The Crab posted:

He's taking to the Zupreem quite well after I crushed it up, but still goes a little crazy for millet.

Millet = Bird Crack. I think I said this earlier; but Maru just might battle a hungry stray cat for a "stick of the stuff" (that's what birds call bird drugs). We use ours to lure her near new toys, and during car rides so the 18 wheelers don't freak her out.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

Munnin The Crab posted:

He is extremely defensive of his cage, even when he is obviously trying to get you to come pick him up. He won't fly away from his cage, and gets extremely displeased when you pick him up. But once he's away from it he has the time of his life! Anyone have tips on discouraging this defensiveness?
Just keep having positive interactions with him outside the cage until he really fully understands that you are safe and that hands aren't scary. :)

You're making great progress!

Chili
Jan 23, 2004

college kids ain't shit

Fun Shoe

Kenshin posted:

Just keep having positive interactions with him outside the cage until he really fully understands that you are safe and that hands aren't scary. :)

You're making great progress!

Yeah, this is an issue of time. Keep at it, and it's ok to persuade him with millet for now during the transition from cage to away from cage. Get that positive association going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Plus he responds well to food treats (DAT MILLET) so you can very easily clicker train him. At which point it should be very easy to train him to step up without drama/not be defensive/not fear hands.

If he has been cage-bound for a really long time they sort of develop Stockholm syndrome about it and fear being away from it even if they like being on you. Like everyone else said, it's a time thing but honestly bird-on-head photos are a pretty good sign.