Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The second you start somehow force closing restaurants around the school you'd have people torching tootsuki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, how do the main characters not call out how dumb Central is?

because shonen is dumb. also they kinda have!!!

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Unless his plan is also to make food free...

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Massive food Hitler sponsored cafeteria estates, providing only the highest class of nutrition to all people at no cost, singlehandedly restructuring the economy of Japan and strengthening it simultaneously, supported by food Hitler extorting money out of the wealthy and tasteless, under threat of being blacklisted.

THF13
Sep 26, 2007

Keep an adversary in the dark about what you're capable of, and he has to assume the worst.
I think their plan is to basically mass produce perfect 5 star cuisine by having restaurants follow an exact recipe which normal restaurants won't be able to compete with rather than outlawing them.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
No it doesn't make that much sense, but welcome to "battle" shonen

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
The problem is that what Azami's plan would actually do is ruin Totsuki's reputation and cause all of the faculty to quit and open a new school where you couldn't take over by getting a majority vote of some teenagers.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Xelkelvos posted:

No it doesn't make that much sense, but welcome to "battle" shonen

Vague generalization doesnt make a defense of flaws.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

They should have just had Souma start uncontrollably laughing after Tsukasa finished his explanation about Central and abolishing the vast majority of existing restaurants. Just Souma laughing for like 5 pages before Tsukasa throws his cooking knife on the ground in frustration and walks away from the match.

That idea is just so hilariously dumb. The existence of not-top class restaurants does not in any way limit the number of top class ones. They should also ban people from cooking at home while they're at it, in order to prevent anyone from ever eating food that isn't top class.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Battle shonen can be fun and interesting, it can be smart and rely on constant creativity. This food Hitler arc is just dumb.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The only thing its done so far that I think I like is its introduced some cool new characters and finally pushed erina on her character arc, but I don't really like how she got pushed on that arc and she probably should have started it sooner at some point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

11 posts in this page and 6 of them are you popping off, with two double-posts

At no point has Shokugeki no Souma presented itself as the revolution of shounen battle manga that you're acting like it was before this arc. Generally this kind of stupid is why a lot of people read these.

Take a breath and stop gettin' mad at video games comics.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

No food war but class food war.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The stuff that I like about this comic are the fun characters and their interactions, the weird shift from stopping cooking school bullies to stopping food hitler from destroying the world of japanese cuisine is a lame shift in stakes to me, especially when its getting in the way of the fun characters having fun interactions.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

The arcs I liked the most were the food stall arc and the stagiare arc, for reference. Neither of those I would call stupid, they were pretty creative and put the cast in new situations.

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
I don't like Food Hitler Arc if I were to be completely honest, but I can't say it's ruining the series for me. More like I'll return to catch up all at once, when it actually starts wrapping up because this is dragging out too much for my taste.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I wasn't really enjoying this arc either, but mostly because it's had a severe lack of cooking and metaphor reactions, which are what I read this series for.

If they keep talking about destroying all inferior cuisine but start actually having more cooking duels, it'd be fine. Hopefully wet get to see more of the purge after this match.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

The problem is that what Azami's plan would actually do is ruin Totsuki's reputation and cause all of the faculty to quit and open a new school where you couldn't take over by getting a majority vote of some teenagers.

Yeah, in real life maybe.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

The arcs I liked the most were the food stall arc and the stagiare arc, for reference. Neither of those I would call stupid, they were pretty creative and put the cast in new situations.

While I liked Stagiare week, I can't call it one of my favourites if only because after the first few chapters with Arato it was pretty much Soma by himself working with Shinomiya. Which was fine and had some good stuff, but I missed the extended cast. Food stall arc loving ruled though.

Anyway, i'm fine with Azami's plan being super dumb and not making sense because a lot of SnS just doesn't work in reality even though Food Hitler kinda far eclipses everything before him. I was kinda worried about this arc as well but after the Eizan match I became pretty cool with it because it showed me it could still be silly and have dumb food metaphors and great reaction faces. Which i'm glad it hasn't lost.

My biggest gripe with the arc though is that it's been super Soma focused thus far. Alice and Kurokiba have gotten cool stuff to do and Erina has become less bad, and it's even set up other characters doing cool stuff down the line but I love pretty much every character this manga has and I want to see more of them.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Anyway, i'm fine with Azami's plan being super dumb and not making sense because a lot of SnS just doesn't work in reality even though Food Hitler kinda far eclipses everything before him. I was kinda worried about this arc as well but after the Eizan match I became pretty cool with it because it showed me it could still be silly and have dumb food metaphors and great reaction faces. Which i'm glad it hasn't lost.

Yeah, that's basically how I deal with poo poo in mangas and games. Sure, this poo poo probably wouldn't fly in the real world, but you kinda have to remember this isn't a documentary and since it's all made up a lot of stupid poo poo is going to happen in the story. So no, all the teachers are not going to quit and mobilize a strike over this change in how the school is run in this story and no one is going to laugh at Azami's plan instead of engage in hot-blooded shounen cooking fights.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

I really liked shino's crew in the Stagiare arc so I think of them as part of the cast that makes that part good.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsieurChoc posted:

Hahaha, wow, how do the main characters not call out how dumb Central is?

Because nine times out of ten calling the idiot with the gun an idiot is a good way to get shot.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Sharkopath posted:

I really liked shino's crew in the Stagiare arc so I think of them as part of the cast that makes that part good.

She was cute. I can accept this.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

Davincie posted:

im glad they're taking a class warfare angle, its the best way to make azami seem like even more of an rear end in a top hat

it's not super surprising they went there, there's been an undercurrent of struggling against classist thinking throughout the story so far.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Futaba Anzu posted:

a lot of the stuff some of the regulars in goons with spoons already come up with are honestly a ton more impressive than most everything that's been served in sns to be honest

But that's not TRUE GOURMET

Whatever the gently caress Azami means by that since Azami's nonsensical goal is even less sensual when you consider its compete out arbitrary what he considers good food.

Angry Grimace fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 16, 2016

Compendium
Jun 18, 2013

M-E-J-E-D
someone give that man a chickencheese

Although if you think about it, the chicken skin gyoza kind of counts already

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Soma is going to give Azami some peanut butter squid and it will completely cure him of his belief in true gourmet and all that nonsense.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

THF13 posted:

I think their plan is to basically mass produce perfect 5 star cuisine by having restaurants follow an exact recipe which normal restaurants won't be able to compete with rather than outlawing them.

There wouldn't even be any competition because Azami's brand of restaurants would be way too expensive for regular people.

In fact this would only drive people towards cheaper restaurants and fast food chains.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Let Azami try to shut down KFC. Colonel Sanders will bury him and Central faster than you can say Nashville Hot Chicken.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

SgtSteel91 posted:

Let Azami try and shut down KFC. Colonel Sanders will bury him and Central faster than you can say Nashville Hot Chicken.

I would love to see this actually.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

There wouldn't even be any competition because Azami's brand of restaurants would be way too expensive for regular people.

In fact this would only drive people towards cheaper restaurants and fast food chains.

It's actually the opposite.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

SgtSteel91 posted:

Let Azami try to shut down KFC. Colonel Sanders will bury him and Central faster than you can say Nashville Hot Chicken.

It's a national tradition, you can't fight tradition.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
If Azami somehow managed to make his moronic vision a reality he would destroy japan's economy. If only fresh, high quality ingredients were available then food costs would rise astronomically and the majority of the population wouldn't be able to eat regularly.

poo poo's dumb.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

SyntheticPolygon posted:

New Chapter.

Soma is about to get crushed.

i'm pretty sure this is the stupidest evil scheme i've ever encountered in a work of fiction

the unabonger
Jun 21, 2009

Serious Frolicking posted:

If Azami somehow managed to make his moronic vision a reality he would destroy japan's economy. If only fresh, high quality ingredients were available then food costs would rise astronomically and the majority of the population wouldn't be able to eat regularly.

poo poo's dumb.

I honestly think Azami would prefer that the majority of the population doesn't eat regularly

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

i flunked out posted:

I honestly think Azami would prefer that the majority of the population doesn't eat regularly

If the economy collapsed there wouldn't be enough rich people to support all those 5 star restaurants with completely identical menus. Plus, his master plan would require destroying most of the food companies who are currently tootsuki's financial backers.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I feel there's more to this plan than what is told so far.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah, I feel like "get rid of all non-Central approved restaurants" is like step 4 instead of step 1. I think Azami wants to regulate the restaurant industry on every level, forcing out any restaurants that can't meet up to standards. Like the FDA, but way more invasive and not just concerned about food safety. Regardless "gently caress the poor" still seems like a goal here.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mraagvpeine posted:

Yeah probably. But i'm pretty sure that this part of the plan is basically exactly as is. I don't think there'll be a twist that explains how his plan to destroy all restaurants will really make sense.

But y'know Azami is a stupid crazy man with a stupid crazy plan. And while we're probably not supposed to think he's stupid exactly, i'm pretty sure this plan is purposefully being portrayed as loving insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
Azami isn't supposed to be stupid, no. Just comically evil. But then, Azami is kind of limited in how whatever sinister plan he has must involve a trade school curriculum and be defeatable by a chef in training.

Though, I would have preferred if the manga had stuck to food jerks and relatively low stakes rather than food hitler and the destruction of japan(ese cuisine). At this rate it is only a matter of time until a man made of bread shows up.