Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I went to an In-N-Out in Tustin tonight, not as good as my local In-N-Out. I had 4 of those yellow peppers though, looking forward to tomorrow morning.

Being from the east coast, Chinese food sucks in California. Like I don't want food from China. I want some General Tso's Chicken. It just doesn't exist here. Insanity.

In other California food news, Trader Joe's is having a butter shortage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

FogHelmut posted:

I had 4 of those yellow peppers though, looking forward to tomorrow morning.

lmao look at this babby

FogHelmut posted:

Being from the east coast,

oh ok i get it

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Chinatown posted:

lmao look at this babby

That comment was with full irl bated anticipation, and legit not at all sarcastic.

quote:

oh ok i get it

You don't even know what it is. Crack cocaine in chicken form.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

General Tso's is pretty scarce, I don't know why, I'd like to try it. I go with Pad Thai when I want some azn junk food.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
Panda Express is where we send all the new transplants for real Chinese food.

......and french fries do not belong in burritos.......sure you may like - it but it's wrong. :colbert:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

Keyser S0ze posted:

......and french fries do not belong in burritos.......sure you may like - it but it's wrong. :colbert:

lol a norcal person talking about burritos

the golden gate bridge awaits you

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Keyser S0ze posted:

Panda Express is where we send all the new transplants for real Chinese food.

You are wrong. Fries soak up all the burritoness to be amazing.

FogHelmut posted:

Being from the east coast, Chinese food sucks in California. Like I don't want food from China. I want some General Tso's Chicken. It just doesn't exist here. Insanity.
The best gringo Chinese is at Paul's Kitchen. Admittedly, I don't know if they have General Tso's, but if you want kinda spicy sweet stuff it is pretty decent. (I legitimately like it.)

nm fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 25, 2016

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

nm posted:

You are wrong. Fries soak up all the burritoness to be amazing.

They do the job of the rice and the beans, but not as well.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

withak posted:

They do the job of the rice and the beans, but not as well.

They do it way better because they are french fries not rice and beans.
Also, we really shouldn't be having an authenticness battle between California Burritos and Mission Burritos because they're both fake as poo poo and loving delicious.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Chinatown posted:

OH WOW YOU PUT FRIES......INSIDE!!!...WELL GOSH ISNT THAT SOMETHIN'

RIP that cool man.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PEOca0Dcpvk

god bless you

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

celeron 300a posted:

california pizza kitchen,

Why do people like that place? Bland food you could get at a Sbarro in the Torrance mall but for sit-down restaurant prices.

Also sbarro sucks too now, they don't do lasagne anymore. It wasn't good lasagne but at least it was lasagne.

Lasagne.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Why do people like that place? Bland food you could get at a Sbarro in the Torrance mall but for sit-down restaurant prices.

Also sbarro sucks too now, they don't do lasagne anymore. It wasn't good lasagne but at least it was lasagne.

Lasagne.

a huge segment of earth likes bland. God Bless. Give me weird peppers and msg for life.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

In other California food news, Trader Joe's is having a butter shortage.

There's plenty of "Chinese" food in CA. Panda express is everywhere, as are non-chain restaurants that are run by Chinese people but that cater to whiteys/tourists.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and white people Chinese food, go to trader joe's and buy the general tso's chicken and/or orange chicken. It's basically panda express in a bag in your freezer, so you don't even need to wash yourself or put on a clean wolf shirt or interact with people when you get that general tso's urge

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Chinatown posted:

lol like California burritos are any more authentically Mexican than mission burritos are, you loving weenie

nm posted:

Also, we really shouldn't be having an authenticness battle between California Burritos and Mission Burritos because they're both fake as poo poo and loving delicious.

:same:

But beans are required in a burrito. French fries or rice are optional, but fries are better, and gently caress people who demand rice in their burrito or ask for extra rice, and complain when there is no rice, what the gently caress you should just go and marry some loving rice you rear end in a top hat rice fucker, thank you for reading my burrito rules

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Have some Poke nachos

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rah! posted:

There's plenty of "Chinese" food in CA. Panda express is everywhere, as are non-chain restaurants that are run by Chinese people but that cater to whiteys/tourists.

Speaking of Trader Joe's and white people Chinese food, go to trader joe's and buy the general tso's chicken and/or orange chicken. It's basically panda express in a bag in your freezer, so you don't even need to wash yourself or put on a clean wolf shirt or interact with people when you get that general tso's urge

I had a hard time believing that anyone would actually suggest that pei wei or pick-up-stix was good chinese food but apparently they are all the rage outside of california

Still, how can franchises exist inside california? I choose to believe that they are kept afloat entirely using out-of-state businessmen and tourists

panda express is a guilty pleasure for me, tho, if I need chinese food and literally all other options are closed

celeron 300a
Jan 23, 2005

by exmarx
Yam Slacker

Rah! posted:

But beans are required in a burrito. French fries or rice are optional, but fries are better, and gently caress people who demand rice in their burrito or ask for extra rice, and complain when there is no rice, what the gently caress you should just go and marry some loving rice you rear end in a top hat rice fucker, thank you for reading my burrito rules

beans are nice but not all restaurants have them in their burritos

it is actually quite rare, maybe 1 out of 4 or 1 out of 5

so for your sanity, stay up north or just stick to tacos

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I don't get why Chipotle is a thing here. It's ok I guess? But i know a half dozen taquerias in a mile radius that have better food than chipotle.

I suppose if I were traveling in Ames Iowa or something I could go to a chipotle. But anywhere here in Gods favored state? Or really any part of the country that used to be Mexico?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Chinatown posted:

I was born in SoCal '68 and so was my Pa '45. :ca:

Ma had the misfortune of being from New York (the bad part) so she recalls her first trip to get something exotically called "tacos" in the 60's in Fullerton.

I've had burritos in every part of the state though and will continue to avoid any with french fries in them. I prefer the regular just meat/more meat....beans (even black)/rice/cheese and not those fancy boy burritos with sour cream, tomatoes, lettuce, truffles and other unmentionables in it.

I remember as a kid in the late 70's coming back from a vacation in Spain (where a Spanish omelette has potatoes in it) and then ordering a "Spanish Omelette" in SoCal and getting an omelette with salsa dumped on top of it. Meh. :corsair:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 25, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Rah! posted:

Where I'm from, your corner Chinese restaurant makes that lovely white people food but cooked to the highest degree. It's not salty sugar slop kept in a hotel pan all day. It's been really difficult to find that place locally with the questionable health codes and faded dirty pictures of the food on the menu above the counter. Cash only please.

But then I live in Orange County which is a cultural wasteland.

quote:

I find that Costco's version is actually better than TJ's.

General Tso's isn't orange chicken though.

KoB
May 1, 2009
Anyone arguing about what goes in a burrito is not a true burrito fan. YOu can put anything in a burrito as long as it is good.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

KoB posted:

Anyone arguing about what goes in a burrito is not a true burrito fan. YOu can put anything in a burrito as long as it is good.

Best Quality Seafood down in the Redondo docks used to have a squid burrito. It was godly. They took it off the menu now, but their fried squid is still good.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

KoB posted:

loving this. It's absurd. "I like X therefore Y is wrong" is stupid. A bad burrito is a burrito that has like rotten ingredients or something gross in it, or which has unbalanced/wrong flavors. As in, it's bad food. There is no such thing as an authentic burrito, because burritos were invented for Americans.

You wanna put fries in your burrito? Go for it. How about peas? Sure, why the gently caress not. Hell, the difference between a "burrito" and a "wrap" is just semantics anyway. You can call a buffalo chicken wrap a burrito if you want, it's got a dang tortilla around it doesn't it?

Like sure, OK, beans. Beans are good. I can't eat them without severe consequences but I like them. But a burrito stuffed full of spanish rice, carnitas, pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, and jalapenos? Come on, no way anyone can claim that's "not a burrito" because there's no beans, gently caress off. It's a burrito.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
PYF Huell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXe5D7V89uo

Casual Yogurt
Jul 1, 2005

Cool tricks kid, I like your style.

Vigilante Huell

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqA1Qj2MAu0&t=2075s

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That's aMAZing!

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

Phone numbers, god he's such a goober

Someone in the crowd has to yell out "license plate numbers"

drat that's a whole 2 hour vid, I might watch it

See More Butts fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Oct 29, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Ron Jeremy posted:

I don't get why Chipotle is a thing here. It's ok I guess? But i know a half dozen taquerias in a mile radius that have better food than chipotle.

I suppose if I were traveling in Ames Iowa or something I could go to a chipotle. But anywhere here in Gods favored state? Or really any part of the country that used to be Mexico?

Because a lot of people honest to god believe that their 12" taco bowl of solid meat and cheese from Chipotle is healthy because they market use of "naturally grown" (:rolleyes:) meat/veggies. At least among the people I know who go there, it seems to have very much engendered a sort of Subway vibe where ating there is considered healthy, regardless of what you're actually stuffing your face with.

It may also just be a familiarity thing, I also have friends who constantly want to get La Victoria's even though there are roughly a billion taquerias around us with better, cheaper food.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Was Huell single or married or in another form of partnership?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I love mexican food and eat a lot of different kinds and am lucky to have lots of very authentic options near my home.

Sometimes I eat chipoltle, too. Their food has a different flavor profile. I don't consider it "bad mexican food" so much as "different food with a vaguely mexican influence" and I'm fine with that.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

RandomPauI posted:

Nothing I can see about spouse or partner. He seems to be a very private guy outside of his tv personality.

I did discover his name is a combination of his parents names, Harold and Jewell :3:

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

Open relationship with the world, obviously :allears:

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!

A "General" who drops an F-bomb on PBS, the mystery of a Burt Lancaster portrait, and an incredibly long, awkward handshake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice

coronaball posted:

A "General" who drops an F-bomb on PBS, the mystery of a Burt Lancaster portrait, and an incredibly long, awkward handshake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImpGsMenmSs

Well, now I have a new favorite youtube video! :3:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
That one-sided phone conversation is the best.

"Oh you just bought it; he's never actually been here."

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe
Wow! My new favorite Huell video.

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Someone at work recently told me that if you ask for a burrito "California style" at Del Taco, they'll put fries in the burrito. I never tried it out, though. Seems to me like if any DT location would do that, it'd definitely be the original DT in Barstow.

BCRock
Dec 13, 2005
I'm huge in Japan
Del Taco actually has a burrito on their menu that has fries in it already.

I only know this because I read the burrito chat in this thread and was thinking to myself "where the hell do you even get a burrito with fries in it?" My search led me to a DT for the first time in probably 10 years.

Report: The steak/bacon/fries burrito there is surprisingly good. I got it without their mystery chipotle sauce or whatever it is that they usually put in it and loaded it up with their hot sauce. Highly recommend. I might go get another one tomorrow for my post-voting lunch.

See More Butts
Dec 29, 2004

I wonder if tons of people are going to go get weed recs even though we may have legalized it. How long until storefronts pop up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

coupbrick posted:

I wonder if tons of people are going to go get weed recs even though we may have legalized it. How long until storefronts pop up?

Jan. 2018, from what I read.

• Locked thread