Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Just meaning that if you have the faculties to realize a driver is acting odd, then you gotta react to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

Just meaning that if you have the faculties to realize a driver is acting odd, then you gotta react to it

That's cool, I wasn't mocking your post. I was saying he is totally ruining the biker aesthetic by not dragging the man from his truck and bludgeoning him with an armored fist.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

nsaP posted:

Yeah, I probably could've handled it better but it was just...really unexpected, I guess? I'm not really sure what I was meant to do. It was down hill and by the time I realised that he was doing it on purpose, I was essentially trapped between the truck and the first car. I really, really didn't expect him to try to deliberately flatten me; it's unusual even by retarded auckland driver standards, let alone for a truck driver who are normally really good. I still can't figure out what I did to gently caress him off, he can't possibly think I was somehow 'taking his spot' the way car drivers seem to think.

Oh, and I was on the red bike :tinfoil:

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
^^ Don't feel bad, I once had a trucker (he didn't have a trailer) try to run me down for passing him while he was doing about 5-10 under on the highway. It's not like there was traffic or any real reason for him to be going that slow, but he still felt the need to put his grill as close to my back tire as he could. Also try to follow me a bit.

Chichevache posted:

That's cool, I wasn't mocking your post. I was saying he is totally ruining the biker aesthetic by not dragging the man from his truck and bludgeoning him with an armored fist.

Would beating the poo poo out of someone with armored gauntlets constitute assault with a deadly weapon?

e: I need to know for the next time a dumbass railroad worker drops a railroad crossing arm in my face with no advanced warning.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Oct 29, 2014

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Marxalot posted:

^^ Don't feel bad, I once had a trucker (he didn't have a trailer) try to run me down for passing him while he was doing about 5-10 under on the highway. It's not like there was traffic or any real reason for him to be going that slow, but he still felt the need to put his grill as close to my back tire as he could. Also try to follow me a bit.

Would beating the poo poo out of someone with armored gauntlets constitute assault with a deadly weapon?

e: I need to know for the next time a dumbass railroad worker drops a railroad crossing arm in my face with no advanced warning.

Does it matter? You ride a motorcycle. You'll never be caught.

O'riginal
Jul 6, 2004
no images allowed
Fun Shoe
My son's a truck driver.

He's had folks report him for various infractions. I can tell you one thing: the company he works for does not take the complaints seriously at all. That's the feeling he gets when they relay the complaints to him.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Cause the company knows that for every 1 instance of bad driving by one of their employees, there were 1000 instances of dumb people doing dumb poo poo around their driver. Likely right before the dumb person called in a complaint.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
The truck driver, theoretically, has a higher driving skill than your average driver. What with their "training" and all. He's also driving something much larger, heavier and more dangerous.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free
:911::911::911:

Marxalot posted:

Not sure, but I do believe that interfering with a Marmite delivery is a mandatory 90 day jail sentence in NZ.

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch

Pope Mobile posted:

The truck driver, theoretically, has a higher driving skill than your average driver. What with their "training" and all. He's also driving something much larger, heavier and more dangerous.

The operative word here is "theoretically". Most truck drivers are decent, but I see alot of them at work that I wouldn't trust with my $700 Ford Explorer.

e: To clarify a bit. Alot of the guys I work with are really good at their jobs. You can expect a few drivers to suck with the sheer quantity I work with, but the amount of lovely drivers that I see -with hazmat licenses- is kind of scary in a way.

Marxalot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Oct 30, 2014

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

O'riginal posted:

My son's a truck driver.

He's had folks report him for various infractions. I can tell you one thing: the company he works for does not take the complaints seriously at all. That's the feeling he gets when they relay the complaints to him.

nsaP posted:

Cause the company knows that for every 1 instance of bad driving by one of their employees, there were 1000 instances of dumb people doing dumb poo poo around their driver. Likely right before the dumb person called in a complaint.

Complaints about drivers get taken really seriously here; getting an HT license is very difficult and expensive so most truck drivers are pretty good.

Marv Hushman posted:

Not sure, but I do believe that interfering with a Marmite delivery is a mandatory 90 day jail sentence in NZ.

After the christchurch earthquake they were unable to continue making the stuff and people were throwing up petitions and it was national front page news every other day, I poo poo you not.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

Marxalot posted:

The operative word here is "theoretically". Most truck drivers are decent, but I see alot of them at work that I wouldn't trust with my $700 Ford Explorer.

e: To clarify a bit. Alot of the guys I work with are really good at their jobs. You can expect a few drivers to suck with the sheer quantity I work with, but the amount of lovely drivers that I see -with hazmat licenses- is kind of scary in a way.

My now retired dad drove trucks for over 40 years, and he did mention a general drop in driver quality before he retired. Most are still just as good, but more bad drivers seem to be getting licensed and hired.

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
I find truck drivers are generally more aware than car drivers. I'm frequently surprised by trucks moving over when I'm filtering.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Slavvy when you going to get a helmet cam so we can see this bullshit too?

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
A camera might show more artistic license than anything.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Coredump posted:

Slavvy when you going to get a helmet cam so we can see this bullshit too?

When they stop costing several hundred dollars. There's someone who has started importing 1080p gopro knockoffs recently that I'm hoping to get a hold of after my missus starts her new job and I get to not eat two minute noodles for dinner.

nsaP posted:

A camera might show more artistic license than anything.

I'm not interested, doesn't matter how much you pull my hair and throw dirt at me. You aren't my kind of girl honey :tipshat:

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Don't get upset. You have, by yourself, seemed to equaled the number of incidents with cars(or people) that the rest of us have had over our whole riding careers. Artistic license is the nice way to say it. "Bullshit" is a better description.

Speaking of bullshit, I got a bullshit parking ticket last night on a side street at a halloween party, in my car, not my bike. "Parking facing the wrong direction" on a 1.5 lane, unstriped street. You know, where you have one sided parking and a wide enough road that 2 cars could squeeze by each other but usually one of the pulls to the side and waits? Looking up the laws I did break the letter, but what a pointless law here... I'd assume it was meant to stop people from diving across double yellows to park on the opposite side of the street, but it applies to me anyway with how it was written. I park the same way on the same kind of street where I live and never had a problem, though if I looked it up I'm sure I could have been ticketed every day. All of the cars on google maps seem to show that the cops have been a pain about that before.

Despite that I break all laws constantly while riding, it still pisses me off to suck it up and pay for such a trivial infraction.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've also crashed thrice, one of which was someone opening a door and another a tremendous fuel spill (the third was me being a dumbass). I also get the impression that most people on here ride very slowly and cautiously most of the time, not to mention that lane splitting isn't legal for most of you.

When I get a camera I'll be happy to put together an Auckland drivers vid for you.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

CL ad: new tires, runs and rides, shifts well, clean, fairings scratched

Reality: new tires, barely starts, stalls w/throttle, chain + rotors + pads + fork seals REKT, fairings cracked

at least the dude was only 10 mins away from my place this time!

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Which ad was this?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

This guy. Would make a good project, but only if the guy sold it for like 700 (which I bet he won't). Also sketch-rear end poo poo - actual owner has been gone a month, bike's getting sent to mexico if it doesn't sell here, etc

Hey hot sauce, if you're looking for a specific bike, lemme know - I check CL a few times daily, I can send you stuff that looks good.*

*I absolve myself of all responsibility if the "good deal" turns out like today's :v:

M42 fucked around with this message at 00:20 on Nov 3, 2014

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

My dad just called to tell me someone gave him a free Blast, spare motor, and random XB engine parts. He's trying to figure out how to make a silly ice race bike :shepface:

Lynza
Jun 1, 2000

"Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea."
- Robert A. Heinlein
WTB Deeters' dad.

That sounds fun!

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I want him to put knobbies on it and make some sort of hilarious and impractical trail bike. I know he had a V&H full exhaust laying around back when I had my Blast, I wonder if he still does.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

nsaP posted:

Don't get upset. You have, by yourself, seemed to equaled the number of incidents with cars(or people) that the rest of us have had over our whole riding careers. Artistic license is the nice way to say it. "Bullshit" is a better description.

Speaking of bullshit, I got a bullshit parking ticket last night on a side street at a halloween party, in my car, not my bike. "Parking facing the wrong direction" on a 1.5 lane, unstriped street. You know, where you have one sided parking and a wide enough road that 2 cars could squeeze by each other but usually one of the pulls to the side and waits? Looking up the laws I did break the letter, but what a pointless law here... I'd assume it was meant to stop people from diving across double yellows to park on the opposite side of the street, but it applies to me anyway with how it was written. I park the same way on the same kind of street where I live and never had a problem, though if I looked it up I'm sure I could have been ticketed every day. All of the cars on google maps seem to show that the cops have been a pain about that before.

Despite that I break all laws constantly while riding, it still pisses me off to suck it up and pay for such a trivial infraction.

I got one of those bullshit tickets aaaaages ago. It was added to a "parked more than 12" from the curb", when I was like 13" away. Technically correct.
Anyway, so I've been living in the UK where people would laugh if you told them it was against the law to park facing the other way, and I move back to Canada and the lovely street where I was living at had parking on one side. So first thing I do is come up the road, see a parking spot, pull in with an ace parallel parking job (facing the other way), and think my job is done. My friend is watching from her porch and tells me I can't park like that. I'm like what??
Yeah, turns out it's illegal here to.
Tl;dr
Arbitrary bullshit parking laws

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
God drat it, finding scooters on Craigslist is so much harder than it needs to be because the site is flooded with dealers spamming their lovely Chinese Ruckus clones like 20 times a day. I just want to see a listing of the reasonably priced Japanese scooters with actual brands that people have heard of.

Also, everyone in this town seriously thinks their Ruckus with a Chinese motor swap is worth 4 grand. What the gently caress.

monsterzero
May 12, 2002
-=TOPGUN=-
Boys who love airplanes :respek: Boys who love boys
Lipstick Apathy

Nate Falls posted:

God drat it, finding scooters on Craigslist is so much harder than it needs to be because the site is flooded with dealers spamming their lovely Chinese Ruckus clones like 20 times a day. I just want to see a listing of the reasonably priced Japanese scooters with actual brands that people have heard of.

Also, everyone in this town seriously thinks their Ruckus with a Chinese motor swap is worth 4 grand. What the gently caress.

...And then half the sellers don't have titles or the scooter's registration is hilariously out of date.

Chopsy
Dec 27, 2005

GUNS GUNS GUNS
BIKES BIKES
YOUR MOM
And the scooter *technically* belongs to the seller's brother's friend, who is in prison, but it's totally cool, man, the DMV will totally give you a pink slip for that.

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Nate Falls posted:

Also people who think the Motorcycles/Scooters section is where to post their dead grandpa's rascal.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Nate Falls posted:

I agree. And you have the best av on the planet.

Armacham posted:

Also people who think the Motorcycles/Scooters section is where to post their dead grandpa's rascal.

There is actually someone so fed up with the geezer medical equipment in our local CL that they periodically rally the troops to flag this poo poo. Generally I ignore these whiners (waaahhhhh, everything's overpriced, boy am i clever for pointing this out, etc.) In this case it's justified. We were saturated over the summer with mobility scooters and one-off parts for gently caress all in the motorcycle section, so I joined in.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Holy poo poo who reads the forum section of craigslist? That must be pure torture

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Holy poo poo who reads the CA section of AI? That must be pure torture

:smugdog:

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter

Nate Falls posted:

Yeah, it loving sucks. Now imagine you're shopping for a moped and have to weed through all those same lovely Chinese scooters that are mis-labeled as mopeds. Needle in a haystack, man.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I see what you did there....but it doesn't make much sense

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

nsaP posted:

They legitimately don't ticket for that in Seattle. It's some sort of "culture" thing.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
There's a forum section on craigslist?

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

Missed Connection: you were riding a Ninja 250 in the bay area. I assume you are the most attractive person ever because you were ATGATT and I couldn't see any details.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I see what you did there....but it doesn't make much sense

Yeah, I know.

Marv Hushman
Jun 2, 2010

Freedom Ain't Free

Gay Nudist Dad posted:

Yeah, it loving sucks. Now imagine you're shopping for a moped and have to weed through all those same lovely Chinese scooters that are mis-labeled as mopeds. Needle in a haystack, man.

Over here, right off the bat, lessee, razor, mud bug, yerf dog, mobility scooter, a Jazzy power chair that belonged to someone who JUST loving DIED THE OTHER DAY, and an engine cover for an Artic Cat (sic) at $80 that's been relisted so many times it has to be a goon conspiracy to get on my nerves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the damn Ruskis are back
Jan 25, 2006

And blew, Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came!
I don't understand what is going through the head of the guy who posts the same bike every four days for 3 months as if we all haven't seen it 100 times. Then he lowers the price from 4600 to 4550 and posts it for another 3 months. I need to tell him that maybe the problem is his photo shows the bike on its side in a swamp. Hmmmmm