Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Ah interesting. Do designers try to go for something that would produce historical results or just something that works for the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zombie #246 posted:

Ah interesting. Do designers try to go for something that would produce historical results or just something that works for the game?

AH games tend to go for whatever works- combat factors aren't really a measurement of anything so it's really difficult to discern a historical 'result' from anything in particular.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

A picture of the board state near the end of my ADP game, such a good game, Coalition won in the end due to some fuckups by me/other players allowing them to surge out before a prop card:

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Tekopo posted:

A picture of the board state near the end of my ADP game, such a good game, Coalition won in the end due to some fuckups by me/other players allowing them to surge out before a prop card:

Herat should be under COIN control and I can now not unsee that :argh:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
So what's the verdict on Churchill now that people have played it some? It looks like it would be a fun solo experience, plus something I could potentially introduce to my Euro gamer friends.

blackmongoose
Mar 31, 2011

DARK INFERNO ROOK!

COOL CORN posted:

So what's the verdict on Churchill now that people have played it some? It looks like it would be a fun solo experience, plus something I could potentially introduce to my Euro gamer friends.

Die rolls for front advances are a dumb mechanic, the scoring system can be really obtuse and it's hard for first-time players to formulate goals, the UK-Soviet global issue locking out nearly all the potential alignment placements can really mess with early game flow, and giving an incentive to actively work against winning the war is weird.

Other than those issues it's a pretty solid game - the core cardplay mechanic works well, the decks are well-designed, the faction flavor is solid, and the bots work acceptably to substitute for one or two players. I think the tournament scenario works well as a medium-weight game that doesn't overstay its welcome, but I'm not sure there's a lot of depth there in the long term

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Mr.Misfit posted:

Not Star Wars

After reading the LP for a bit, I have to say that the board seems way less busy than what I expected.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

COOL CORN posted:

I played two solo turns, and I think it's amazing. I agree with the Mongoose that rolling dice sucks, but it's a wargame, so whatever.

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Fat Samurai posted:

After reading the LP for a bit, I have to say that the board seems way less busy than what I expected.

It is very much less busy than you´d expect. The imperial players turn consists mostly of trying to repair the damage you have done as the rebel and build more units to which there is an upper fixed limit meaning he won´t ever have the biggest army ever around, while the rebel player mostly tries to collect RP to build and prepare his Great Invasion while also pushing planets into rebellion and concordance because rebels don´t care about lives lost ;)...but frankly the turns consist of much nothing because of the way the mission take up a humongous amount of time. And the amount of units might seem big but really, it is controllable. Though I can´t speak to how that might change once the Great Invasion starts, seeing as my play experience only stretches up until turn 6 currently.

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Alright, I bought Navajo Wars. I hope you enablers can live with yourselves.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

CaptainApathyUK posted:

Alright, I bought Navajo Wars. I hope you enablers can live with yourselves.

It's a great game.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Going back to mechanics chat: was Wir Sind Das Volk the first CDG to use the common cards both players can use?

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

I'm thinking about buying a used copy of The Hunters since it seems to be sold out everywhere. But does anyone know what the difference between the first and second printing is, if there a difference?

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I splurged and sold some music gear to buy Churchill, Space Empires 4x, and the Close Encounters expansion for SE4x.

I have no self control :( And I'm trying to offload Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! since I don't have a space big enough to play it. Message me if you want to trade me something solo-friendly or if you want to buy it.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

What kind of gear? :smith:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

silvergoose posted:

What kind of gear? :smith:

A Korg drum machine.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

COOL CORN posted:

I splurged and sold some music gear to buy Churchill, Space Empires 4x, and the Close Encounters expansion for SE4x.

I have no self control :( And I'm trying to offload Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! since I don't have a space big enough to play it. Message me if you want to trade me something solo-friendly or if you want to buy it.

Enjoy clipping counters. I managed to fit all the stuff in two gmt counter trays (cut in half so each player has a tray) and some colored canvas drawstring bags for the system markers.

Aside, I have a custom dice problem. I had these made for my copy of Reds!, so if anyone wants a pair or can recommend other good Russian Revolution games, let me know.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I go to Youtube this morning and see that Calandale has a new video - "Oh cool, I wonder what he's playing," I think to myself.

Video title: "Sartorial Love and Jailbait Rant"

:stare:

Shine on, Enrico, you crazy poo poo.

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

I'm so hard right now you have no idea.

(Sadly, Reds! is probably the best/most playable game on the topic. It's neither very popular nor a topic that lends itself well to gaming. I think Rossyïa 1917 should be fine, but I haven't had the chance to actually play it.)

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Lichtenstein posted:

I'm so hard right now you have no idea.

(Sadly, Reds! is probably the best/most playable game on the topic. It's neither very popular nor a topic that lends itself well to gaming. I think Rossyïa 1917 should be fine, but I haven't had the chance to actually play it.)

Reds! is an incredible game, and can be had incredibly cheap. The only downside is that the reds have an 80% chance or so of winning, it's incredible tough for the whites.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

I've had fun with Reds!, but I couldn't imagine playing anyone else. It is very one-sided. It seems like commanding your Cossacks to mess with supply is really the best way to deal with red armies. The white factions can also stack much easier than reds, so when it does come to attacking, they get a nice multiplier.

I'm looking at For Bloody Honor of only because the map is so drat pretty. The counters are slick looking too.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Anyone actually bought NR 4: Italian Front? It sorta looks nice but I'm kind of burned out on the series (except Russian Front, which is still good). Who wanted NR3 btw? I remember giving out a shipping quote for it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Tekopo posted:

Anyone actually bought NR 4: Italian Front? It sorta looks nice but I'm kind of burned out on the series (except Russian Front, which is still good). Who wanted NR3 btw? I remember giving out a shipping quote for it.

That was me, I just wasted my money on other stuff :)

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

[edit] This is Reds! talk

It's far above most of it's middling-to-horrible competitors on the topic, but I'm not sure I'd call it incredible.

- It's got a lot of that annoying Raicer chrome/exceptions
- I'm not stafisfied with the historicity of the game
- OOB is a horrible loving mess. Like, I'm not sperging about appropriate strength values and so, but Whites tend to get several counters for separate units that in reality were the same armies that changed name along the way due to general reorganization. This isn't even a handwave'y way to feed reinforcements to the player, you get everything in one batch
- Event table is terribad. Nothing really happens when it's supposed to, or at all, there's a lot of wasted rolls that do nothing and generally the political/weird poo poo context is massively underexplored
- The combat system will probably trigger a lot of goons*
- Is the gameplay really all that compelling to the Whites past their very brief window of opportunity? You suffer your first major defeat and an entire front crumbles. Then the Reds easily focus on your remaining fronts one-by-one until you're left playing reverse whack-a-mole with lone counters unable to offer any resistance hoping that you'll bullshit out a partisan unit out of a random event table so they can hold some random-rear end Ural village hoping you can leapfrog through random Ural villages before Reds manage to draw a chit before you and effortlessly stomp you down. Now, this is pretty much history, but isit good gaming?
- Pet peeve: like 70% of the whole chit-pull white-infighting deal is the failed assault on the Petrograd. There's a theory - without going into heated historychat it's good-enough-to-make-for-a-compelling-aspect-of-a-wargame - that if Yudenich managed to coordinate with Miller, so that latter blocks the railroad to Moscow and bolsheviks are unable to just pump reinforcements, he could take the town. That's why both forces work off different chits - and there's not that other situations (transcaspian?) where having different activations really hurt you (other than the general issue of initiative vs reds). The problem? It is impossible to block reinforcements with Miller. I guess, unless the city and it's neighbourhood was left entirely empty and the opponent didn't notice you crawled within the movement allowance last turn (there are no real movement tricks to take into account).
- Pet Peeve #2: is there really any reason for the ASFR to evacuate to crimea, rather than ship to Georgia and bunker up there?
- Bunch of stuff in similar vein

* The gist is, it's quite random and it gets both more random and decisive the bigger forces involved are. I'm not too much down on it myself, as that's pretty much how poo poo went down, but there's probably better ways to go around it in TYOOL 2015. I've mentioned before I've been thinking about highly uncertain combat in games and my current position is that such things are best handled by card-based systems (Sekigahara, Friedrich, etc. Stuff like Guns of Gettysburg would count for the thing I'm thinking of), which can offer a nice balance between offering gameplay decisions and possibility of unexpected crushing defeats, that IMO feel less cheap than dice-losses.

Lichtenstein fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Sep 24, 2015

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

I don't think that the Russian Revolution is really all that possible to either model accurately or in a way that makes it fun to play in. But then again EotS does manage to still make it engaging to fight a war that you have no possible way to win (ie the japanese in the late war). What are the victory conditions for the whites? Are they anything beyond 'survive, do slightly better than OTL)?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Speaking of event table, I was thinking about just adding a d12 roll rather than a d6. Nobody needs that many armored trains. Either reroll a 1 or pick your favorite result. The random events didn't seem to make much difference in the games I've played.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Tekopo posted:

I don't think that the Russian Revolution is really all that possible to either model accurately or in a way that makes it fun to play in. But then again EotS does manage to still make it engaging to fight a war that you have no possible way to win (ie the japanese in the late war). What are the victory conditions for the whites? Are they anything beyond 'survive, do slightly better than OTL)?

Control Moscow and two other resource cities, or keep the reds from hitting their goals by end of game (their goals are either: control every city outside Poland/Baltics, or control Poland/every resource city). It sounds easier than it is, because you only need to harass one or two cities to keep the reds from winning

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It's definitely the WWII Eastern Front kind of dynamic of not-communists aggresively pursuing a short window of opportunity to punch above their way and stop just tantalizingly short of their impossible goals* and then turn to increasingly desperate defense to juuust outodo history. Just turbocharged.

One saving grace is Poland entering the war, giving Whites some nice legit troops just as all their other meaningful forces crumbled, giving more Fun Stuff for the player to do.

Now, while gaming this conflict is definitely about beating the historical result, rather than winning the conflict itself, I'd posit the proper way to present is above the purely operational scale. The politics and colorful personalities are not only unique and flavorful in and of themselves, but also kinda what the whole thing was about. I mean, what "historical goals" could you establish for the whites? Would taking Moscow and Petrograd, while a massive blow to Red movement, be enough to stabilize the country that was falling apart all the way to Vladivostok? A map of actual historical gains, making a city's worth arbitrary?

I think the proper way is to go about it Unhappy King Charles-style, by what I mean present the conflict as primarily political affair where conventional warfare just happens to be your primary tool of influencing the political aspect that is actually the win condition. This would have the added value of there always being something to do, even if the dominant operational aspect is no longer interesting. And it's really hard to have the conventional warfare aspect stand on its own when you have to deal both with having ~10k strong White armies of significant regional importance (that is, really cannot be skipped/abstracted) on the map and the Red Army swelling to over 6 million men by the time of Polish-Bolshevik war. This extreme disproportion is a really tough nut to crack in satisfyingly gamifying the conflict.

Probably the most sane way is to present the war as a Churchillesque semi-coop from a perspective of bickering bolshevik factions, but that's a bit of a copout.

* One could argue both Moscow and Petrograd were pretty close to being taken. Not that it'd really amount to much.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Or do a 2P COIN :v:

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They did it for Algeria, it could work. I think you'd want a ghosted third party in the form of Mahkno, the poles, the allies, that are uncontrolled by either faction but influenced by the play on the board.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

Tekopo posted:

I didn't, but someone just told me that it has this in the back of the rulebook:

Which is very nice :3:

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

It is, but that's an unfortunate place for a typo ("out").

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
True that.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Fixing to get myself another COIN in this bigass BGG math trade.

Someone put up A World at War :stare:

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

T-Bone posted:

Fixing to get myself another COIN in this bigass BGG math trade.

Someone put up A World at War :stare:

What is this trade system you speak of??

The Mantis
Jul 19, 2004

what is yall sayin?
Should I do this math trade thing? Is there a way to see what's around? How much is shipping, generally?

I got Terra Mystica, punched it and played it bc it's a gift, and will likely never play the again. I'd love to get some GMT goodness.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Good grief this math trade system has 3 geeklists, a discussion thread, and apparently an external website associated with it?

I'm so overwhelmed :negative:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

COOL CORN posted:

Good grief this math trade system has 3 geeklists, a discussion thread, and apparently an external website associated with it?

I'm so overwhelmed :negative:

Just use that external websitethingamob and go through the suggested steps. You can narrow down the whole geeklist to your wants (magnifying glass) and upload stuff to the list through it (just hover over the icons at the top to see what the 1995 icons do).

The Mantis posted:

Should I do this math trade thing? Is there a way to see what's around? How much is shipping, generally?

I got Terra Mystica, punched it and played it bc it's a gift, and will likely never play the again. I'd love to get some GMT goodness.

If you use that magnifying glass on the external you can filter by your wish list. There are a massive amount of items on the list. I'm not sure what shipping would run on TM, it's a fairly big box.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 25, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If anyone hasn't used the gilt Jet deal yet you could walk away with one of these GMT games for $25-$30 (with free shipping) after the discount:

https://jet.com/search?term=GMT%20games

Has anyone played any of them?