Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

AlphaDog posted:

Wizzard controlled feudalism (arcanism? beardocracy?), undead laborers, and blacksmiths not existing because a single wizard can do one man-year of blacksmithing in a 10 minutes are silly things, you guys. I know the mechanics of the game seem to imply that they'd exist, but that's only because you lack the imagination to understand that a believable fantasy world would be just like medieval europe but with elves and wizards.

What im trying to say is Eberron is pretty good.

hth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Effectronica posted:

The final stage is the undead taking over because they don't need to breath, eat, sleep, or drink and they can exist for basically forever with enough embalming, and then you have High Cromlech from Bas-Lag The elemental plane of skeletons.

Which has been mentioned here before in a different context.

kingcom posted:

What im trying to say is Eberron is pretty good.

:thejoke:

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
People always talk about wizards, but clerics are just as bad, and in this situation, clerical magic would be older and likely more entrenched, so wizards would probably be the first in a rebellion against theocracy, if they were even allowed off the ground in the first place. Clerics get all the spells. Wizards have to earn theirs (sorta).

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

jigokuman posted:

People always talk about wizards, but clerics are just as bad, and in this situation, clerical magic would be older and likely more entrenched, so wizards would probably be the first in a rebellion against theocracy, if they were even allowed off the ground in the first place. Clerics get all the spells. Wizards have to earn theirs (sorta).

...but the only way to get better at being a cleric or a wizard is by killing a lot of your opponents, so it's likely that a perpetual state of war exists between them.

Fighters die in their thousands on both sides, serving only to fuel the skeleton armies.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

jigokuman posted:

It's funny how we have four basic archetypes for mystical power that are all related to the justifications for aristocracy in real life- clerics get it from divine right, wizards through knowledge and wisdom, sorcerers through being born with the right heritage, and warlocks via cheating. Then you have druids, who are just kinda there. Maybe they get their power through being voted in by all the little woodland critters and trees.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jigokuman posted:

Thats why you have a division of church (clerics) and state (wizards) to make sure that theres an equal split between both sides of the caster supremacy in order to make sure both have enough martial meat shields and and equal distribution of bones.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

Effectronica posted:

It's funny how we have four basic archetypes for mystical power that are all related to the justifications for aristocracy in real life- clerics get it from divine right, wizards through knowledge and wisdom, sorcerers through being born with the right heritage, and warlocks via cheating. Then you have druids, who are just kinda there. Maybe they get their power through being voted in by all the little woodland critters and trees.

Maybe druids represent the warlords who establish rule by force and then turn it into something legitimate later on?

Or maybe that's just stretching something past the breaking point.

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

AlphaDog posted:

Wizzard controlled feudalism (arcanism? beardocracy?), undead laborers, and blacksmiths not existing because a single wizard can do one man-year of blacksmithing in a 10 minutes are silly things, you guys. I know the mechanics of the game seem to imply that they'd exist, but that's only because you lack the imagination to understand that a believable fantasy world would be just like medieval europe but with elves and wizards.

In reality DnD is much closer to late antique or the wild west sans guns with elves and wizards. Thing in DnD notably absent from the middle ages: general stores, roadside inns, widespread availability of of liquid currency, the ability for non nobles to openly carry weapons, ect.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Donald John Trump (born June 14, 1946) is the 45th and current President of the United States. Before entering politics, he was a businessman and television personality.
Druids represent natural life, which exists and is often a force to overcome for those at the bottom, but is overshadowed by a society of sentient (magically or technologically adept) beings.

Daetrin
Mar 21, 2013

jigokuman posted:

Druids represent natural life, which exists and is often a force to overcome for those at the bottom, but is overshadowed by a society of sentient (magically or technologically adept) beings.

D&D: an allegory for the state of mankind.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

jigokuman posted:

They are actually just keeping everything alive, therby taking the tools of production (bones) away from the ruling class. This means the trickle down rewards of product are prevented from getting to the common folk. Druids are the middle eastern oil barons is what im getting at here.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

jigokuman posted:

I love the idea of animated dead being honored family servants, or societies condemning criminals to eternal servitude in death. Or both. You could mark skulls or have the skeletons wear items that would indicate their status. It's a very "realistic" idea, has lots of flavor and feels like an alien world of fantasy.

This is basically Warhammer 40K where if you're a good Imperial servant a dude with a bunch of tubes coming out of his face takes your skull and turns it into a little floating robot pet and if you gently caress up they turn you into a lobotomized zombie cyborg.

The Emperor is the swaggest skeleton of all.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
So has anyone tweeted about skelly hordes at Mearls and let him tell you it's up to the DM to fix their lovely rules yet?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

dwarf74 posted:

So has anyone tweeted about skelly hordes at Mearls and let him tell you it's up to the DM to fix their lovely rules yet?

This is the best part of the game, dont let mearls take this away from me.

Also its up to your DM to decide to tweet to mearls or not.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

kingcom posted:

This is the best part of the game, dont let mearls take this away from me.

Also its up to your DM to decide to tweet to mearls or not.
I don't know from twitter or I'd do it myself, being the DM.

jigokuman
Aug 28, 2002

Traditional Games will now get a subforum for skeleton chat as a counterpart to the Damage on a Miss subforum. Balance in all things.

Seriously, though, I think we just proved why D&D can't (and shouldn't) be used as an engine to simulate a D&D world, and also created the roots for a ton of fun adventures.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

kingcom posted:

D&D world where every town has a necromancer patron who shows up and takes corpses in return for protection, wizard services and occasional advice and support seems like a much better setting than default dnd worlds.

Necromancers are easily the most powerful men in the entire world, for they are privy to the ultimate truth - that all of us are just skeletons waiting to happen - and are able to control it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
What if a necromancer was controlling your skeleton right now and you never even knew it? You ever wonder why fighters agree to tag along with wizards whenever they go on adventures? It isn't voluntarily.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Regarding all the pointless animals in the MM, that was one of the more popular anti-4e memes in ENWorld (there are no stats for MULES!, followed by unfunny "4e" names for mules), and 5e is basically ENWorld Edition.

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

jigokuman posted:

Druids represent professional wrestling, adjourned every full moon.

WHO WILL WIN THE HIEROPHANTS BELT?

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Kai Tave posted:

What if a necromancer was controlling your skeleton right now and you never even knew it? You ever wonder why fighters agree to tag along with wizards whenever they go on adventures? It isn't voluntarily.

Hang on making my recruitment thread.

Mormon Star Wars posted:

WHO WILL WIN THE HIEROPHANTS BELT?

I shapechange into a Macho Man.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Kai Tave posted:

What if a necromancer was controlling your skeleton right now and you never even knew it?

I'm sorry, Martha - Fate needs me to follow that weirdo around. I can't say why, I know he's important to my destiny. It's just a feeling I got... A feeling in my bones.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ProfessorCirno posted:

Regarding all the pointless animals in the MM, that was one of the more popular anti-4e memes in ENWorld (there are no stats for MULES!, followed by unfunny "4e" names for mules), and 5e is basically ENWorld Edition.

I, for one, literally cannot imagine any animal unless I know its Armour Class and Charisma stats.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Aug 13, 2014

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
"Hey GM, can my character have a pet turtle?"

"ONLY IF THERE'S FORMAL PROOF OF ITS EXISTENCE!"

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

The funny thing about the Wizard vs Fighter debate is that it's not a natural problem for any system. A lot of systems try to balance characters on narrative power. A powerful Wizard in GURPS is going to have Fighter counterparts that resemble Batman or Conan, or at higher levels are going to be literal unkillable teleporting murder machines. FATE tends to work pretty similarly. 4E did a lot to help mitigate this but 5e seems to be moving back to the "Wizards are gods, fighters poke things with sticks" model which is disappointing.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moths posted:

I'm sorry, Martha - Fate needs me to follow that weirdo around. I can't say why, I know he's important to my destiny. It's just a feeling I got... A feeling in my bones.

What if there was a little skeleton inside your skeleton? Like inside your braincase there's this little skeleton man controlling your every movement with a complex set of levers.

Kai Tave posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU513suJZzY

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

NovemberMike posted:

The funny thing about the Wizard vs Fighter debate is that it's not a natural problem for any system. A lot of systems try to balance characters on narrative power. A powerful Wizard in GURPS is going to have Fighter counterparts that resemble Batman or Conan, or at higher levels are going to be literal unkillable teleporting murder machines. FATE tends to work pretty similarly. 4E did a lot to help mitigate this but 5e seems to be moving back to the "Wizards are gods, fighters poke things with sticks" model which is disappointing.

Actually it's more like Fighters Fight, Wizards do magic. Fighters however are really good at fighting.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Oh poo poo, over on enworld people are looking at the skeletal horde, after Jack's mathematical breakdown of the game-breaking implications, and saying, "eh, sounds about right."

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

Actually it's more like Fighters Fight, Wizards do magic. Fighters however are really good at fighting.

I think you'll find that Wizards also fight, they just do it by using magic.

So Fighters Fight and Wizards Fight and Do Everything Else.

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

NovemberMike posted:

I think you'll find that Wizards also fight, they just do it by using magic.

So Fighters Fight and Wizards Fight and Do Everything Else.

This is where someone mentions that Rogue and Fighter should be re-merged and the cycle is complete.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Nope, wizards are better at fighting. They get a spell that lets them see what it's like to be a fighter and "really good at fighting" (Tenser's Transformation, anyone?) so they can get a good laugh at how terrible fighters are at fighting by comparison.

After writing that sentence, it just dawned on me - Wizards get a spell to temporarily become another goddamn class. Said class gets absolutely no reciprocal ability to do so.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fighters are really good at fighting and Wizards are really good at magic. What's magic, exactly? "Eh, basically everything." Man, we're just pulling out all the classics from 2008, Next really is the callback edition.

NovemberMike
Dec 28, 2008

LuiCypher posted:

Nope, wizards are better at fighting. They get a spell that lets them see what it's like to be a fighter and "really good at fighting" (Tenser's Transformation, anyone?) so they can get a good laugh at how terrible fighters are at fighting by comparison.

After writing that sentence, it just dawned on me - Wizards get a spell to temporarily become another goddamn class. Said class gets absolutely no reciprocal ability to do so.

Hell, for most wizards temporarily turning into a fighter is a downgrade. Why do that when you can just summon a fighter (read: bear, demon, elemental, whatever) to tank poo poo and hit things.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

NovemberMike posted:

Hell, for most wizards temporarily turning into a fighter is a downgrade. Why do that when you can just summon a fighter (read: bear, demon, elemental, whatever) to tank poo poo and hit things.

OR maybe....a skeleton?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
Also if some goons in the Game Room have taught us anything, its that a wizard with the right stats and race can do most of what a fighter does, in addition to being able to cast spells (just with a shittier spell DC.. maybe).

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

P.d0t posted:

Also if some goons in the Game Room have taught us anything, its that a wizard with the right stats and race can do most of what a fighter does, in addition to being able to cast spells (just with a shittier spell DC.. maybe).

I think the best part about this thread is that there a people who are actively playing it in good faith and when they make comments they tend to get ignored with either a nuh uh or wait for the modules/fixes. I guess thats why i gave up and decided to just shitpost since people only want comments from speculative fantasy land.

EDIT: The Jack math effort posts are really good though. Don't stop.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Aug 13, 2014

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

MonsterEnvy posted:

Fighters are the only ones who just fight. Every other class fights and something.

Clearly this means that the best choice if you just want to win combats is fighter, right?

Oh, it's not? That's OK, I'm sure they'll fix it.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
The best thing about the way D&D handles the division of capability among the martial/caster line is that in any other game if you show up with a guy whose sole, nigh-autistic focus is "swing sword at man" you would be laughed or eye-rolled at, maybe used as a cautionary tale about overspecialization, but in D&D it's considered perfectly acceptable by a large chunk of the fanbase to have a class whose sole purpose is to swing a sword all day alongside a class that has a library list of rule- and narrative-warping abilities to slot into his head each day. This is considered perfectly balanced and desirable and not at all insipid.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

LuiCypher posted:

They are not. Also I don't recall Tenser's transformation being in the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Swinging a sword at thin air like you're a robot? Yeah, that's fighting. Tossing fireballs and summoning slightly oversized ocelots and shooting lightning from your fingers? Not fighting.