Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
flick my Mr. Bean
Nov 18, 2014

Zzulu posted:

no one answered me last time so i guess i'll just have to find out for myself what happens if I murder all the factions

I've wiped out the railroad, institute, and BoS including all the named characters that can be killed which is a surprising amount and nobody seems to give a poo poo. Maxson ate a nuke. Unfortunately it seems that nobody gives a poo poo. I think I got a single line of altered dialogue. "Oh, I'm glad you've already killed _______" when the quest to kill them would have started anyway.

It lacks that "gently caress everything up" feel that New Vegas had.

Pvt.Scott posted:

So, do you think Bethesda is going to retire their janky, ancient engine, build a new one and then reboot Fallout to number one because most of their growing fan base for the brand at this point hasn't played the first two because they were toddlers or not born yet when the isometric games were new? I've met five random younger nerds who had never heard of Fallout before 4 and its ad campaign, or knew about 3 and were never interested.

I was young enough when F3 came out that I had heard of Fallout but knew nothing about it. I bought a trilogy pack that had F1, F2, and Tactics but couldn't get into them. I wonder if in ten years, gamers will try to play F4 or similar games but be unable to get into it because of the limitations. Similar to how I love Morrowind but everyone I know who has bought it in the past few years are bewildered that anyone actually enjoyed it (console version so no mods).

flick my Mr. Bean fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

dog buttz posted:

I was young enough when F3 came out that I had heard of Fallout but knew nothing about it. I bought a trilogy pack that had F1, F2, and Tactics but couldn't get into them. I wonder if in ten years, gamers will try to play F4 or similar games but be unable to get into it because of the limitations. Similar to how I love Morrowind but everyone I know who has bought it in the past few years are bewildered that anyone actually enjoyed it (console version so no mods).
Playing a lot of older games involves changing your expectations a lot and being prepared for rock bottom user experience. It's probably easier for someone like me who grew up playing PC games in the Fallout/Doom/Baldur's Gate years, but believe me, it takes a little while to get used to the lack of creature comforts when going back.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

Man Whore posted:

It took 2 years for skyrim to drop below 60 and it was on the best sellers list the whole time, so see you in 4 years when this game goes on sale for 30 bucks on a steam christmas sale.

aside from the fact that you can get f4 for 40some bux at some site, skyrim definitely saw discounts within 2 years and nowadays (4 years after release) it seems to regularly go on sale for 6 bucks for the whole collection

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

I really like the slower healing and higher enemy damage from Survival mode, but absolutely hate the 50% player damage malus in game that already has damage sponges built in at higher levels. Thank G*d for mods. I'm guessing normal damage would be fine, but honestly an extra 50% player damage would make a lot of firefights less of a slog. I'm talking about clearing bases and stuff, not clearing a few trash raiders that randomly take a potshot at you.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Pvt.Scott posted:

I really like the slower healing and higher enemy damage from Survival mode, but absolutely hate the 50% player damage malus in game that already has damage sponges built in at higher levels. Thank G*d for mods. I'm guessing normal damage would be fine, but honestly an extra 50% player damage would make a lot of firefights less of a slog. I'm talking about clearing bases and stuff, not clearing a few trash raiders that randomly take a potshot at you.

Yeah harder hitting enemies and stuff like slower heals are the way to go for a hard mode, but adding enemy hp is never fun for anyone. So stupid. I want the game to be tougher not more tedious.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

NESguerilla posted:

Yeah harder hitting enemies and stuff like slower heals are the way to go for a hard mode, but adding enemy hp is never fun for anyone. So stupid. I want the game to be tougher not more tedious.

It's a double hit too. The enemies gain levels and get better equipment, meaning more damage reduction and bigger health pools. That's why you'll see people telling you to just go with big slow rifles, because most of that damage gets past the higher dr. Even so, you still have to keep up in weapons, armor and perks just to kill things within a magazine or two for most weapons, it seems. Halving player damage on top of that just seems like a poor design decision.

criscodisco
Feb 18, 2004

do it
So if I get to the black and white scene where he talks about life before the war does that mean I've beat the game? How disappointing. I guess that would explain all the synth checkpoints along the road. All I have left are the piddly crap missions I never completed because they suck. If that's really all, I'm sort of disappointed with the game, which sucks because I really enjoyed it up until now.

Also, I just was wandering around and stumbled upon Vault 95. It's that while thing supposed to be an anti-drug PSA? That's certainly what it felt like.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

criscodisco posted:

So if I get to the black and white scene where he talks about life before the war does that mean I've beat the game? How disappointing. I guess that would explain all the synth checkpoints along the road. All I have left are the piddly crap missions I never completed because they suck. If that's really all, I'm sort of disappointed with the game, which sucks because I really enjoyed it up until now.

Also, I just was wandering around and stumbled upon Vault 95. It's that while thing supposed to be an anti-drug PSA? That's certainly what it felt like.

Naw. I think the point of the vault was to show off that Bethesda don't always quite know how the vaults were supposed to function. Since studies on people taking drugs and relapsing have probably been done before the War.

Oppressor
Nov 6, 2011

What we were after now was the old surprise visit. That was a real kick and good for laughs and lashings of the old ultraviolent.

Gobblecoque posted:

aside from the fact that you can get f4 for 40some bux at some site, skyrim definitely saw discounts within 2 years and nowadays (4 years after release) it seems to regularly go on sale for 6 bucks for the whole collection
I got it for 32 bucks last week on a site.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Pvt.Scott posted:

I really miss games like Deus Ex having a “realistic” difficulty where both the player and enemies take greatly increased damage. What happened to that

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

criscodisco posted:

Vault 95 is related to a companion quest, is home to the Big Guns bobblehead and is one of the better sources of free aluminum in the game (lots and lots of cans and surgical trays). It also breaks pretty hard with canon thanks to Jet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

I really miss games like Deus Ex having a “realistic” difficulty where both the player and enemies take greatly increased damage. What happened to that

Thankfully, with the mod I mentioned, you can tailor player and npc damage to your taste. I am kinda tempted to try 200% for both sides.

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/222/

• Locked thread