Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Did you Japan?
Hai sempai
No
Unknown
Goku
View Results

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004

LimburgLimbo posted:

Looks like it’s here, in Yokohama:
フィルムカメラ東京
〒221-0802 神奈川県横浜市神奈川区六角橋2丁目1−20
0120-966-262
https://goo.gl/maps/PcyWjdSrfKD2

Doesn’t give hours but he’s off every wed, sun, and some other days.

Thank you! Doesn't seem like his store is there on Street View but I'll figure it out. Thank you for the help!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Yes it is, it's just on the other side of the ramen place.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Doin' another trip to Hokkaido next year in June. 4th time. Plan is to drop by Shakotan, Niseko, Sapporo, Hakodate, and some other stuff in between for sure.

Q: Is Wakkanai, Rishiri, or Rebun worth it? If so, why? Basically the only major area I haven't been to before in Hokkaido.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Have fun and rent a car! It’s kind of expensive getting around the island. And if you can, stop by yoichi Nikki distillery.

I’m sure niseko would be nice in the summer and even better than other places because all the aussies will be gone by then. Whereas furano will be super busy with people trying to get to the lavender fields in Bihei

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

caberham posted:

Have fun and rent a car! It’s kind of expensive getting around the island. And if you can, stop by yoichi Nikki distillery.

I’m sure niseko would be nice in the summer and even better than other places because all the aussies will be gone by then. Whereas furano will be super busy with people trying to get to the lavender fields in Bihei

Done the distillery, have rented a car before, and have done furano before (I'm trying to get my friend to drive so that I can loving drink this time). I'm serious about having been to most of JP in general.

June shouldn't be *too* bad for Chinese tourists, but i want to stop by Biei again because there's a really nice minshuku I'd like to go to again. Also melon.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Is there a certain time of year flight sales come up? Some friends are living in Kyoto for a few years so now will be an ideal time to visit so we don’t have to figure everything out on our own. However the round trip flights for two adults and one child are on average about 4000 CAD. I know it’s the other side of the world and that can’t come cheap but I’ve got to think there’s sales sometimes. Flying out of Ottawa or Toronto, whichever is cheaper.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Wait until after New Years.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Dec 27, and perhaps after Jan 1st.

But no offense, tickets from Toronto or Ottawa aren't going to be cheap. Going price is probably going to be $1000, and any deal you have will drop you to probably $700.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think there's a route from Toronto to Vancouver to Osaka on Air Canada.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost
Just watch this for Toronto - you'll find deals under $400 CAD to Tokyo at times: http://www.yyzdeals.com/

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

Aredna posted:

Just watch this for Toronto - you'll find deals under $400 CAD to Tokyo at times: http://www.yyzdeals.com/

Yeah, I've found deals to Japan for 4-500 USD to go in the springtime and they usually go through YYZ.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
The catch is that they aren't direct, have varied availability in timeframe, and often require departures on weekdays. Sometimes, they require a connection to another city in Asia, which can be a cool thing or not cool thing. Often times, the deals are available for only 6 hours.

I play this game too, with LAX/SFO. Except right now there are actually deals from LAX for $450 RT.

Through The Decade
Mar 3, 2010

BANANA?!?!?

Thanks for the tips everybody. I wouldn’t mind just ponying up the money for the flight if it were just me. But when you multiply it by 3 and add the fact we have a youngster who I’m not sure could withstand 24+ hours times two of travelling finding a rad deal without adding too much time will make all the difference.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

With kids it is usually worth it to pay more and fly direct.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
The deals I've seen are usually direct YYZ -> NRT, but obviously they don't last long. It really only works if you've got a flexible schedule and are checking every day.

Navaash
Aug 15, 2001

FEED ME

Yeah don't ever fly in or out during the New Year's, Golden Week, or Obon periods. You will pay through the nose if you try. You can arrive/leave just before or after without getting smacked upside the head with massive premiums, though.

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

Navaash posted:

Yeah don't ever fly in or out during the New Year's, Golden Week, or Obon periods. You will pay through the nose if you try. You can arrive/leave just before or after without getting smacked upside the head with massive premiums, though.

Flying into major cities during those times can work out fine. Everyone is leaving Tokyo to visit family. I've seen Golden week with super low prices before as long as you're coming to Tokyo for it and leaving at the end of it.

totalnewbie posted:

The deals I've seen are usually direct YYZ -> NRT, but obviously they don't last long. It really only works if you've got a flexible schedule and are checking every day.

Deals normally require flexible schedules, but you don't need to check every day. Lots of places have pricing alerts you can set up.

Solus
May 31, 2011

Drongos.

Navaash posted:

Weirdly the cheapest flight of the week was the 31st of December for me. But I’m coming from New Zealand which is weird and sheep blighted

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New Year's vacation in Japan is typically 12/28-1/3 (schools 12/26-1/8). If you're flying on 12/31 you're already too late!
I've found that flying opposite Japanese travel patterns can be affordable... but domestic hotels fill up quickly with the scrub majority who isn't doing a 5-day tour of California.

peanut fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Dec 26, 2017

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

peanut posted:

New Year's vacation in Japan is typically 12/28-1/3 (schools 12/26-1/8). If you're flying on 12/31 you're already too late!
I've found that flying opposite Japanese travel patterns can be affordable... but domestic hotels fill up quickly with the scrub majority who isn't doing a 5-day tour of California.

poo poo I'm trying to fly in next week but haven't bought a ticket yet

RIP me.

I guess I'll have to come in on the 3rd or 4th

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
I’m flying in to Japan from Singapore Jan 10th; just after the holiday and nobody’s going anywhere that soon after the new year, so tickets to Japan in Asia tend to be dirt cheap. As people have been saying, a significant number of people going to and from Japan are Japanese, and they tend to have very specific busy periods. I’ve also flown in the middle of Golden Week to the US for good prices, as everyone wants to maximize their vacation days so they fly from the start.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

The Great Autismo! posted:

poo poo I'm trying to fly in next week but haven't bought a ticket yet

RIP me.

I guess I'll have to come in on the 3rd or 4th

tickets from tianjin and Shenyang are both pretty cheap (255 USD one way) up until January 3rd, then they get up to like 300-400 dollars. seems weird. I gotta buy one here soon

they get cheap on the 7th again but I have a 21 hour layover in Seoul wtf

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

peanut posted:

The Tokyo/LAX and reverse route is always incredibly cheap during non-peak season. pretty much 450-500 RT right now from Jan to April, and I usually see the same between Oct and Dec (excluding holidays). I'm sort of envious because the SFO route to Tokyo is always incredibly expensive. I often end up booking separate tickets to LA.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

they get cheap on the 7th again but I have a 21 hour layover in Seoul wtf

That's a good layover amount though, Seoul is a good city for cheaply getting fat/drunk.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Grand Fromage posted:

That's a good layover amount though, Seoul is a good city for cheaply getting fat/drunk.

I got my ticket for the 31st. the countdown is on.

my wife wasn't thrilled about picking me up at the airport on New Years eve but she's pregnant, wtf else is she going to do, lol

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

New Year's Eve is for watching tv!!!!!!

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Yeah, if I was her I'd just leave you there and pick you up on the 2nd or whatever.

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Stringent posted:

Yeah, if I was her I'd just leave you there and pick you up on the 2nd or whatever.

if you was she you'd leave me there to rot and die and listen to my racist TED talks on my iPad probably

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
Ah quit whingeing you can get yourself there.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
“Guys you don’t need internet I backpacked across Europe without a phooooone”

“I’m incapable of getting anywhere in the safest country in the world and have to get a pregnant woman on holiday to guide me”

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I actually take take a train to about 15 minutes walk from our place but I'm never allowed to, lol. maybe I'll try this New Years eve

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
thing is the train goes well out of the way and I have to change in Orio and it's kind of a pain in the rear end, so usually me missus just picks me up at the airport. I'd be down to take the train but I don't think she'd let me tbh

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
I guess it's not that far out of the way, but it's definitely the hypotenuse and the base of the triangle, which doesn't really make all that much sense. tho Orio is dope and I love going there, so idk. either way, I'll start my shitposting on jan 1st, later dudes

Ned
May 23, 2002

by Hand Knit

I guess it's not that far out of the way, but it's definitely the hypotenuse and the base of the triangle, which doesn't really make all that much sense. tho Orio is dope and I love going there, so idk. either way, I'll start my shitposting on jan 1st, later dudes

Wtf is there to do in Orio?

The Great Autismo!
Mar 3, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Ned posted:

Wtf is there to do in Orio?

there's an izakaya there right along a little canal that is quaint

don't forget I usually come to Japan from mainland china

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
so much for that forest being the next Mt Everest

Busy Bee
Jul 13, 2004
Has anyone gone out in Yokosuka before? Is it as bad as I think it would be?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I'm sure it's not that bad now since all servicemen can't leave the base. :v:

prompt
Oct 28, 2007

eh?
Ban has been lifted for almost a month now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

What's a good place to stay in/near Tokyo that isn't right in the middle of the city and a trillion bucks per night? If it was me I'd just go wherever and deal with it since it's just a place to sleep but I cant do hostel or capsule hotels because my wife wants a private bathroom since she is a spoiled bitch fancy lady.

We're looking at a hotel in Edogawa which puts us about a 30 minute train ride outside the city centre from the looks of it, this is fine as we found the trains in Kansai to be EZMode so have no train fear but if we can get closer just to save time on that it would be super.

Also what good stuff is worth tripping out from Tokyo to see? Previous trip thread suggestions of Nara/Kyoto/Himeji were big big winners with her last time so anything similar would be sweet. Looking at travelling for 2 weeks in November (why is October more expensive?).

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Jan 12, 2018