Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

puppy party posted:

Whoops! Didn't realize it wasn't on there anymore. I don't see it on PCPartPicker so I think it must have rolled off inventory and off the list. It's this guy.

Should I think about popping another 8gb of RAM while I'm at it?

That's a good PSU so should be able to handle a 1060/1070 just fine.

More RAM never hurts, just be sure to buy another two sticks of what you already have to cut down on "Mixing RAM Can Sometimes Cause Issues" issues :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

puppy party
Sep 21, 2008

Dead Goon posted:

That's a good PSU so should be able to handle a 1060/1070 just fine.

More RAM never hurts, just be sure to buy another two sticks of what you already have to cut down on "Mixing RAM Can Sometimes Cause Issues" issues :)

Most excellent, thanks for the heads up on the RAM!!

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How much of a performance jump am I going to get from an Intel i7 930 (2010) to a i5 6600? I'd pull the trigger on a newer processor to match my newish GTX 970, but then that means having to buy another motherboard and then a copy of Windows 10 again, which makes the purchase harder to justify.

I'm between that and a SSD upgrade. Loading times are a little long in BF4, Planetside 2, ARK, and GTAV.

e: also am I still cool with 6gb ram lol

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin
A buddy of mine wants to upgrade his prebuilt and I talked him out of buying another prebuilt by offering to assemble it for him. I was hoping I could get you guys to sanity-check the build I recommended for him.

He uses it entirely for 1080p@60Hz gaming. He's not interested in overclocking. His budget was around $1300. I suggested both a 1060 and 1070-based build and he opted for the 1070 after doing some reading.

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Motherboard: ASRock B150M Pro4S
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2133
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 8GB
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5"
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA GS 550W
Case: Cooler Master N200

Also, he lives in LA and I live in Minneapolis, so I'm going to need to ship it to him when it's done. Do any of you have any experience/advice with shipping an assembled computer? Currently, I'm thinking I could double-box the completed machine with box from the case and have him purchase insurance. (I tried to explain how easy it was but he wasn't having it.)

Personally, I'm really only feeling concerned about the Hyper 212 EVO somehow shaking loose and wreaking havoc inside like this poor fucker. Should I perhaps go with a different, lower profile cooler?

pocket pool fucked around with this message at 00:00 on Aug 20, 2016

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

You can get expandy bag things that inflate inside the case then harden. I can't remember the brand names but there's a few reputable internal packing things for securing coolers and graphics cards.

Or AIO liquid cooling to remove the block-of-metal problem.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Khablam posted:

Or AIO liquid cooling to remove the block-of-metal problem.

My liquid CPU cooler was broken during my recent move (on a moving truck, not shipped), they aren't super robust.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm looking at a new gaming pc from the ground and giving my 3-4 year old one to a friend who cant afford a pc of any kind.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/72sGqk

That is sorta the rough list of parts I picked out. Feel free to laugh at getting an i7 and sound card.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

So that's like, pretty high end, right? Guess that puts me at near the bottom of the barrel. I'm looking to stream video and maybe do a little light gaming (Using a 19" widescreen TV from 2008 at 1280x760 or thereabouts). The gaming is a way-lower priority than the streaming, but it'd be fun to play the titles from the past 6 years that my current PC couldn't handle at release. I don't really care if things look playable so long as I'm getting at least 30fps. My current pc can't manage that for Mount&Blade.

Video streaming setup: USB 2-channel audio in via a cheap I/O unit and one (eventually two and expanding to as many as the pc can handle) USB cameras. Planning to eventually switch some for better cams running into a video mixer but that's at least a year out.

How will this do as a starting point?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sYrkXH

Ignore the lack of case; I'm planning to stick it in an old 90's beige ATX case I have lying around

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Grand Prize Winner posted:

So that's like, pretty high end, right? Guess that puts me at near the bottom of the barrel. I'm looking to stream video and maybe do a little light gaming (Using a 19" widescreen TV from 2008 at 1280x760 or thereabouts). The gaming is a way-lower priority than the streaming, but it'd be fun to play the titles from the past 6 years that my current PC couldn't handle at release. I don't really care if things look playable so long as I'm getting at least 30fps. My current pc can't manage that for Mount&Blade.

Video streaming setup: USB 2-channel audio in via a cheap I/O unit and one (eventually two and expanding to as many as the pc can handle) USB cameras. Planning to eventually switch some for better cams running into a video mixer but that's at least a year out.

How will this do as a starting point?

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/sYrkXH

Ignore the lack of case; I'm planning to stick it in an old 90's beige ATX case I have lying around

The machine you've planned will smash 1080p games on ultra. Your expectations are wildly too low. Your absolute limiting factor is a low res TV as an output. Cut down on the machine (or save) for a basic 1080 panel with lowish response times and it'll be night and day.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Khablam posted:

The machine you've planned will smash 1080p games on ultra. Your expectations are wildly too low. Your absolute limiting factor is a low res TV as an output. Cut down on the machine (or save) for a basic 1080 panel with lowish response times and it'll be night and day.

What? Awesome. That thing is well within my budget but my main concern is streaming from multiple video sources and not gaming. Would a lesser system do that all right?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I'm getting ready to put my new build together and I'm pretty stoked, but I am a little hazy on the details since I put my last pc together around 5 or 6 years ago. I know that I only connect the hard drive I want the OS on first, and then I can connect the 2nd once Windows is fully installed. Do I need to do any prep for the hard drives before installing Windows? Or do I just plug everything in and stick my Windows installation usb in and go?

e: I did do a quick google search but I was getting results from 2009 to 2012 and wasn't sure if that was going to be very accurate anymore.

comper
Jun 22, 2006
My mom says I'm cool.

DrNutt posted:

I'm getting ready to put my new build together and I'm pretty stoked, but I am a little hazy on the details since I put my last pc together around 5 or 6 years ago. I know that I only connect the hard drive I want the OS on first, and then I can connect the 2nd once Windows is fully installed. Do I need to do any prep for the hard drives before installing Windows? Or do I just plug everything in and stick my Windows installation usb in and go?

e: I did do a quick google search but I was getting results from 2009 to 2012 and wasn't sure if that was going to be very accurate anymore.

Plug everything in and go, you'll choose the hard drive you want to install windows onto.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

What? Awesome. That thing is well within my budget but my main concern is streaming from multiple video sources and not gaming. Would a lesser system do that all right?

Any mid-range PC made in the last 10 years will stream (receive) content at 720p. Any Intel chip starting i- would be quick enough to transcode that content (plex media server or such).

Did you read a silly article somewhere that said you need to spend $10k to play pc games or something? Your budget is good for 1080p/60fps on 2016 games.

Your TV however is a severe weak link to having anything look better than a xbox 360 game.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

comper posted:

Plug everything in and go, you'll choose the hard drive you want to install windows onto.

Definitely only plug in the hard drive you want Windows on, though. Even though you choose which one to use, it'll still use both, as I learned a couple weeks ago.

You don't need to prepare the drives before starting the installation process, you'll do that during. The Windows installation tool will let you delete everything on them. You want the drive to be 100% unallocated space.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Khablam posted:

Any mid-range PC made in the last 10 years will stream (receive)] content at 720p. Any Intel chip starting i- would be quick enough to transcode that content (plex media server or such).

Ah, that might be the point of contention. I'm not looking to view someone else's stream, I'm looking to run my own, at the highest possible resolution I can on a $1k-1500 budget. I've got a webcam that'll send 1080p and am looking to add as many more as I can afford over the next year, topping out at a maximum of 8.

The gaming will just be gravy, and if I have to sacrifice that for a better out-quality then I'll do it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Bass Bottles posted:

Definitely only plug in the hard drive you want Windows on, though. Even though you choose which one to use, it'll still use both, as I learned a couple weeks ago.

You don't need to prepare the drives before starting the installation process, you'll do that during. The Windows installation tool will let you delete everything on them. You want the drive to be 100% unallocated space.

They're brand new, I just wasn't sure if I needed to format them or create partitions or something.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

DrNutt posted:

They're brand new, I just wasn't sure if I needed to format them or create partitions or something.

Yeah, don't worry about it. Everything you need is built into the installer. Probably you won't even need to delete anything, then.

Skunkrocker
Jan 14, 2012

Your favorite furry wrestler.

xthetenth posted:

Surface Pro 4 is likely a better bet for art, it's got more levels of pressure sensitivity, a better screen that lowers parallax (ie your tip is closer to where you see it against the screen) and has higher resolution, and does much better with regards to an annoying issue with drawing diagonal lines slowly getting jittery. Its stylus also has changeable tips to give different feel (tips sold separately).

There's some other similar tablets on the market that may be a cheaper answer, they tend to be less powerful, and some laptops like the HP Spectre x360 have active stylus support, but I can't speak to how any of them do for pressure sensitivity &c.

Yeah that seems perfect, I'm looking at a 900 dollar price tag as a baseline disregarding sales and used products so I gotta save up but it's nice to have that info now. Thanks again for the help, really appreciate it!

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor ($198.99 @ SuperBiiz)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock B150 Gaming K4 ATX LGA1151 Motherboard ($79.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Crucial 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR4-2133 Memory ($34.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($88.48 @ Amazon)
Storage: *Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($66.22 @ Amazon)
Video Card: *Gigabyte Radeon RX 480 8GB Video Card ($239.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Power Supply: *Cooler Master 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Total: $789.62
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
*Lowest price parts chosen from parametric criteria
Generated by PCPartPicker 2016-08-20 03:46 EDT-0400

- Replaced your no-name SSD with something from Samsung, they're the leading brand right now
- You don't want only one stick of RAM if you can help it, they're designed to work in pairs and will be faster that way.
- That Z170 board you picked out isn't as cheap as it looks on PCPartPicker right now so I picked one that is. You miss out on overclocking and fast RAM by not using a Z170 board but your build didn't have either to begin with so I assume you won't miss them.
- On that note, I left in the cooler in case you were just getting it for peace of mind / silence but it's not strictly necessary for a non-overclocking CPU. You can remove it if you want to get back to the total cost your initial build had, the stock cooler should suffice.

Agreed with above posters that you should pick up a monitor. Even the absolute cheapest 1080p TN panel you can find would still be an improvement. You can drop down to a weaker graphics card like a 4GB RX 470 if you need a little help fitting it into the budget. Given your low expectations even a GTX 950 (which is about half the price) will wildly exceed them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming
After 5 years it may be time to update something on my machine. The main thing will be to get an SSD. Next the HDD and Power Supply? The OP says those are suspect after 5 years so it is about time. I also need to get a bigger case, right now I have an Antec 300 case but its a little too small with a 290x in there. RAM is DD3 1600, would an upgrade be meaningful with my mobo/cpu? Thermal paste hasn't been applied between cooler & cpu since first putting it together.

Does this look like the right order of importance for those upgrades?
1. SSD
2. HDD
3. Power Supply
4. RAM
5. Mobo/CPU

Power Source: Antec EA-650 Bronze http://goo.gl/fxAFBT

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Just out of curiosity, what in the world is going on with the GPU? I've had 3 video cards die from overheating before. Not sure if modern cards have better heat resistance, but id be a little concerned about that messing up your upgrade order if it goes belly up.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Quoting myself from a few days ago, but would it make sense to upgrade this system with a Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB and a RX 480 (thinking in particular about the MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G), each at about €300?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Ah, that might be the point of contention. I'm not looking to view someone else's stream, I'm looking to run my own, at the highest possible resolution I can on a $1k-1500 budget. I've got a webcam that'll send 1080p and am looking to add as many more as I can afford over the next year, topping out at a maximum of 8.

The gaming will just be gravy, and if I have to sacrifice that for a better out-quality then I'll do it.

You can downgrade the GPU and exceed your expectations on gaming, for a better CPU (i7).
You've not been clear what you're trying to achieve or how so I can't guess on what the requirements for these 'streams' are.

Work out the minimum cpu required for doing 1x what you want to do. Look up a pass mark score. Multiply by 8. Buy a cpu which exceeds that with some margin.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Rad Gravity posted:

Quoting myself from a few days ago, but would it make sense to upgrade this system with a Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB and a RX 480 (thinking in particular about the MSI Radeon RX 480 Gaming X 8G), each at about €300?

Your cpu won't bottleneck any GPU out there at the moment.
1tb is a whole lot of SSD. If you want to store everything on there it's certainly not a bad buy, but you won't notice HDD vs SSD performance gains for storing music libraries, video, photos etc. Pairing 500gb of ssd to HDDs that complete your storage requirements is more usual.

If you have the money for it and want or need it though then why not.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

I'm looking at a new gaming pc from the ground and giving my 3-4 year old one to a friend who cant afford a pc of any kind.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/72sGqk

That is sorta the rough list of parts I picked out. Feel free to laugh at getting an i7 and sound card.

What's your monitor resolution and max refresh rate?

You don't need 32GB of RAM unless you're going to be doing specific things like running virtual machines, video editing or other tasks that are RAM-intensive. Which is of course possible, but you only mentioned it was supposed to be a gaming PC. For gaming the currently recommended sweet spot is 16GB, and even that will be overkill in the vast majority of cases.

750W is also overkill for your PSU, Pascal graphics cards are very power-efficient. It's true that you have a sound card and an extra HDD, but those components typically don't consume a lot of power (especially the HDD). I would recommend 650W in your case:

http://pcpartpicker.com/product/9q4NnQ

Should allow you to shave an additional $10-15 off the price.

7TB of storage seems like a lot of me, but if it all fits in the case and you really need that much, it's up to you.

I have no issue with the i7-6700k (I have one myself), but yes, it's also a possibility to get an i5-6600k and overclock it to almost the same level of performance, saving some money that way.

Rad Gravity
Mar 14, 2012

Khablam posted:

Your cpu won't bottleneck any GPU out there at the moment.
1tb is a whole lot of SSD. If you want to store everything on there it's certainly not a bad buy, but you won't notice HDD vs SSD performance gains for storing music libraries, video, photos etc. Pairing 500gb of ssd to HDDs that complete your storage requirements is more usual.

If you have the money for it and want or need it though then why not.

I figured I'd use the SSD for games. I know it won't improve performance, but faster load times would be nice, plus it would free up space on the HDD for regular storage. My Steam library is taking up some 250 GB at the moment, and games seem to be getting bigger all the time (>65 GB for GTA V, Jesus Christ). I'm just afraid that if I go for the (admittedly more sensible) 500 GB SSD, it's going to feel cramped again in a year's time.

Of course, I could also just add a 2 TB regular HDD and make an extra Steam library for the games I don't play all that often anyway. Decisions, decisions...

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

My opinion is based on having unlimited 200mbit fibre, so loading a game from stream is like 'go make coffee, come back and it's done' meaning rotating within 500gb is really easy.
But sure if you want to just load 50 games at a time go for it.
Some games benefit hugely from SSD (any game that streams stuff from disk after load especially) so you won't regret it.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Corsair RMx is the same as RM (as recommended by the OP) right? Just picking up a 650w for new 1080 purchase.

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

El Grillo posted:

Corsair RMx is the same as RM (as recommended by the OP) right? Just picking up a 650w for new 1080 purchase.

The RMx series is higher quality and has better warranty than the RM series, bought a 550W one myself recently. The big PSU list in the OP is from the old thread and is missing some commonly recommended stuff like the RMx/RMi series and the lower wattage Supernova G2s.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Ah cool thanks. Yeah 7 year warranty did seem pretty huge. Amazon's not doing regular RM's in the UK though so 650x it is! First new PSU in a decade. Yes I may be an idiot

HMS Boromir
Jul 16, 2011

by Lowtax

El Grillo posted:

Ah cool thanks. Yeah 7 year warranty did seem pretty huge. Amazon's not doing regular RM's in the UK though so 650x it is! First new PSU in a decade. Yes I may be an idiot

Ten, actually! It's not really advertised anywhere but a few lines of Corsair PSUs including the RMx series got their warranties extended earlier this year, no need to register or anything. Now you can put off your next PSU purchase for another decade.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
Hah, that's not on the sales page. Awesome!
Btw anyone seen a decent (& preferably brief) brand comparison for different 1080s?
e: or can just recommend a bog standard/not extra-plus-priced brand 1080 with decent/quiet cooling? It's surprisingly difficult to find basic info on this poo poo

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Aug 20, 2016

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Khablam posted:

You've not been clear what you're trying to achieve or how so I can't guess on what the requirements for these 'streams' are.

Sorry if I was unclear. I'm looking to send out a live feed to twitch, youtube, or what-have-you live from this computer. I'll be using two USB cameras (and possibly adding up to six more as time goes on) and a stereo feed from a small soundboard with a USB I/O and running everything through OBS. Sorry for the lack of clarity. Will the build I posted (or the one HMS Boromir suggested) be able to handle that?

Grand Prize Winner fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Aug 20, 2016

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

just keep swimming

Avocados posted:

Just out of curiosity, what in the world is going on with the GPU? I've had 3 video cards die from overheating before. Not sure if modern cards have better heat resistance, but id be a little concerned about that messing up your upgrade order if it goes belly up.

It's an R9 290x . They are known to run that high and can do 94 safely.

trash person
Apr 5, 2006

Baby Executive is pleased with your performance!
I don't have any PC enthusiast friends (all my real life friends are Xbox gamers) but I just had to express how excited I am to almost have my PC built.

Last time I had a gaming PC was in the Core 2 Duo era. I'm just waiting on my i5-6600 and mobo to come in the mail and my new one is done. Only using a 1060 but I'm hooking it up to my 1080p tv so whatever.

But gently caress I am hyped.

plape tickler
Oct 21, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Are there any reputable sites that post regularly updated build suggestions? I need a starting point.

Tatsujin
Apr 26, 2004

:golgo:
EVERYONE EXCEPT THE HOT WOMEN
:golgo:
I'm thinking about building a Mini-ITX gaming PC as compactly as possible. My use case is that I already have my work PC in my home office, and I don't have a lot of desk real estate. From what I understand, I can do the following:

Use a Mini-ITX case that doesn't have extra drive slots and only takes a Mini-ITX power supply
Mini-ITX power supply should have better cable management (even modular, if possible)
Get a slim video card (Gigabyte makes a shorter 1070 meant for Mini-ITX builds, but its availability seems lovely)
Use a M.2 SSD instead of SATAIII 2.5"
If needed, use a slim CPU cooler

The problem is that PCPartPicker doesn't seem to have a good ability of determining which Mini-ITX case to use, as it seems rather standard they accept ATX power supplies.

Here is what I have so far for everything else:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDFvf8

One thing I can think of is the cooler for the PC. I am wondering if the i5-6500 stock cooler would fit in a super compact case, or if I would have to get something slimmer. I feel like if I have to get a non-stock cooler, I might as well get an i5-6600K since it doesn't come with a stock cooler.

beepsandboops
Jan 28, 2014

Tatsujin posted:

I'm thinking about building a Mini-ITX gaming PC as compactly as possible. My use case is that I already have my work PC in my home office, and I don't have a lot of desk real estate. From what I understand, I can do the following:

Use a Mini-ITX case that doesn't have extra drive slots and only takes a Mini-ITX power supply
Mini-ITX power supply should have better cable management (even modular, if possible)
Get a slim video card (Gigabyte makes a shorter 1070 meant for Mini-ITX builds, but its availability seems lovely)
Use a M.2 SSD instead of SATAIII 2.5"
If needed, use a slim CPU cooler

The problem is that PCPartPicker doesn't seem to have a good ability of determining which Mini-ITX case to use, as it seems rather standard they accept ATX power supplies.

Here is what I have so far for everything else:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KDFvf8

One thing I can think of is the cooler for the PC. I am wondering if the i5-6500 stock cooler would fit in a super compact case, or if I would have to get something slimmer. I feel like if I have to get a non-stock cooler, I might as well get an i5-6600K since it doesn't come with a stock cooler.
What parts you need really depend on what case you end up getting. A lot (most?) mini-ITX cases will allow for 2.5" drives, full-sized graphics cards, some will even allow for full-sized ATX power supplies.

I'd say figure out what case best fits your space needs then go from there.

You might wanna check out the SFF thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3776587

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

plape tickler posted:

Are there any reputable sites that post regularly updated build suggestions? I need a starting point.

If only this thread had like 83 pages of such, eh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

Pick a case, find it on PC Part Picker, click the "view completed builds with this part" option, enjoy