Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

One of the quest mods I downloaded was small but cute. You go through a short Dwemer dungeon and then meet the Nerevarine and help him fight a giant robot. There's not much to it but I enjoyed it anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TresTristesTigres
Feb 14, 2013

Posts from UnDeR9R0Und
Yes, everyone please play The Forgotten City. Can't say enough good stuff about it. Gameplay and story-wise it's top notch. I also liked that there weren't any quest markers, so it was kind of a nice throwback feeling and it rewarded the player for thinking things through.

I agree with Kiggles, it would be best on a throwaway character. I played it on Xbox One a few months ago and it permanently glitched my character's music playlist so that it would only ever play Forgotten City music from then on. The music is really good but the glitch is still pretty annoying, fair warning.

Drunk Driver Dad
Feb 18, 2005
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G5RucTQkHY

I saw someone mention this a few posts up. You guys think it will be any good?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
It's been in development since forever with a fairly large team. I check in on them every few months or so and their landscape and asset development has always been really good. They're sticklers for lore but they also have to fill in a lot of gaps since the mod takes place contemporaneously with Skyrim. If anything will be hit or miss, I think it will end up being the writing, quests, and voice acting, but I wasn't involved in the beta so I can't say one way or the other. Probably going to be a mixed bag, given the nature of mods this size.

There's a poster here who works on BS: Cyrodiil who could say more (can't remember who, sorry! Props on your work, though.)

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Drunk Driver Dad posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G5RucTQkHY

I saw someone mention this a few posts up. You guys think it will be any good?

I'm actually pretty interested. Content looks pretty good, so if nothing else it'll be neat to explore, and gather up the new loot. The bits of gear shown off look really nice, and if we know anything about anything, the most important feature of any game is how stylin' you can get. Kinda iffy on the voices if the dude in the trailer is anything to go on, but what can ya do.

Otherwise, I think Rigmor of Bruma is going to have an additional quest arc that takes advantage of Beyond Skyrim, and while that mod has it's fair share of problems, its basically the only companion quest mod that isn't exactly :nexus: . I mean, it's still :nexus: , but you know what I mean.

Cheap Shot
Aug 15, 2006

Help BIP learn gun?

TresTristesTigres posted:

Yes, everyone please play The Forgotten City. Can't say enough good stuff about it. Gameplay and story-wise it's top notch. I also liked that there weren't any quest markers, so it was kind of a nice throwback feeling and it rewarded the player for thinking things through.

I agree with Kiggles, it would be best on a throwaway character. I played it on Xbox One a few months ago and it permanently glitched my character's music playlist so that it would only ever play Forgotten City music from then on. The music is really good but the glitch is still pretty annoying, fair warning.

I really really enjoyed the forgotten city as well. Fits right into the game perfectly, with multiple endings even. Was worth go back to Skyrim to play it.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

i think beyond skyrim cyrodiil is really cool

BUT

beyond skyrim high rock and morrowind would be infinitely more interesting

if they even attempt to simulate tamriel rebuilt's baan malur.....holy gently caress

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
They actually merged their High Rock and Hammerfell projects into BS: Illiac Bay, but the landscape work in it (especially High Rock) is awesome. Of course it took this long to just get Bruma out, WITH the help of Oblivion, so...

The downside to High Rock is that the total area is so small, the geography so constricted, and they have to fit several major cities into it. I'm pretty sure Daggerfall and Camlorn have a hill between them.

Love Stole the Day
Nov 4, 2012
Please give me free quality professional advice so I can be a baby about it and insult you

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

Okay, help a dipshit out. Skyrim Special Edition. I'm getting a crash whenever I try to trade with Lucan Valerius in Riverwood. He talks fine, gives the Bleak Falls Barrow golden claw quest fine, and when I say "Let's trade" he says his bollocks and then it's a CTD instead of the trade screen. I can loot things fine, I can take stuff from Alvor's gift trade fine, and I was able to trade with a couple random merchants fine. If it's just Lucan I can live with it of course but I'd rather pin down a potentially more severe problem before I get 15 hours in and find no more trading can be done or something.

Load order here: https://pastebin.com/crfXyzRP

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Bethesda announced they're doing paid mods as a pretty big part of their E3 presentation. This poo poo is gonna end great :yeah:

Can't wait until they start sending C/Ds to Nexus etc for hosting mods that are reused by Bethesda for their paid mods.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jun 12, 2017

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)
Welp.

It was fun while it lasted, I guess. It's time to download all of the mods!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Read the actual website before jumping to conclusions.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Mister Adequate posted:

Okay, help a dipshit out. Skyrim Special Edition. I'm getting a crash whenever I try to trade with Lucan Valerius in Riverwood. He talks fine, gives the Bleak Falls Barrow golden claw quest fine, and when I say "Let's trade" he says his bollocks and then it's a CTD instead of the trade screen. I can loot things fine, I can take stuff from Alvor's gift trade fine, and I was able to trade with a couple random merchants fine. If it's just Lucan I can live with it of course but I'd rather pin down a potentially more severe problem before I get 15 hours in and find no more trading can be done or something.

Load order here: https://pastebin.com/crfXyzRP

without picking too deeply into your modlist, my guess is that it's something in his shop inventory. id go over the mods you have installed that add items.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Creation Club is just a "premium currency"/microtransaction based store for the sort of DLC they already did, except they think they can for-real professionals to submit serious work for it.

What will actually happen is their signal to noise ratio will be abysmal and any hope of recruiting actual talent will be buried under a tide of :nexus: while the same people who did impressive mods will stay in their established hugboxes.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

wiegieman posted:

What will actually happen is their signal to noise ratio will be abysmal and any hope of recruiting actual talent will be buried under a tide of :nexus:.

And those mods won't even be on the service, because you have to submit professional work proposals to even apply to be allowed on the site, then meet consistent development milestones to keep your contract.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

This system seems like something that I want to work.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

If it provides a framework for actual, quality content it could work. In all likelihood, though, it will end up as Horse Armor 2.0. The incentive seems to be to poo poo out the laziest mods possible as much as possible in order to maximize profit. $5 green mudcrab skins!

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

^^Edit: Yeah, the most likely outcome by far is that it becomes a repository for skins and poo poo, if they're actually going to require mods to not break anything and work together then anything much larger then that seems unrealistic. Or they could just conveniently drop that bit, too.

Schubalts posted:

And those mods won't even be on the service, because you have to submit professional work proposals to even apply to be allowed on the site, then meet consistent development milestones to keep your contract.

I'm skeptical, at best, that those standards will actually be enforced once it becomes clear how much more money they could make by allowing hastily-rebranded existing content.

Oh well, the worst thing that could happen is it goes down in flames and I get a few chuckles out of it.

VV Right, and what I'm saying is that that policy is likely to quietly disappear at some point (or just be honored in name only) once it becomes clear precisely how much money they're leaving on the table by actually enforcing it.

Random Asshole fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Jun 12, 2017

Magmarashi
May 20, 2009

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I'm skeptical, at best, that those standards will actually be enforced once it becomes clear how much more money they could make by allowing hastily-rebranded existing content.

Oh well, the worst thing that could happen is it goes down in flames and I get a few chuckles out of it.

They specifically disallow existing content to be used, it's in the info.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

And they're at least unlikely to give that up because liability.

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

What would stop them from locking out public mods? (Read: Not from the Creation Club or I guess their existing mod service.)

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

dont be mean to me posted:

What would stop them from locking out public mods? (Read: Not from the Creation Club or I guess their existing mod service.)

Aside from being nearly technically impossible, it would be a loving PR apocalypse and almost certainly damage future sales more then the revenue it would generate. If nothing else the Creator's Club would be continuously DDoS'd for the rest of its existence.

Like, the certainly could do it, or at least try, but they would have to be spectacularly dumb to do so.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Schubalts posted:

Read the actual website before jumping to conclusions.

https://creationclub.bethesda.net/en

Bethesda itself posted:

We’ve looked at many ways to do “paid mods”, and the problems outweigh the benefits.

That's frank.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
When even Forbes is kind of going "Yeah, this is going to end badly again." you know you've just hosed up.

Here's hoping that this isn't the poo poo storm it seems to be. If public mods do get locked out it will be because of compatibility issues, which puts the burden on modders on the public end to fix things if the private ones won't do it.

And that's assuming the private mods can even be looked at internally to get the info necessary to create compatibility patches. I'd imagine that securing the data in the mod would be one of the things they'll do to prevent pirating the content. Which pretty much puts the kibosh on some of the grander ideas out there.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Archonex posted:

When even Forbes is kind of going "Yeah, this is going to end badly again." you know you've just hosed up.

Here's hoping that this isn't the poo poo storm it seems to be. If public mods do get locked out it will be because of compatibility issues, which puts the burden on modders on the public end to fix things if the private ones won't do it.

And that's assuming the private mods can even be looked at internally to get the info necessary to create compatibility patches. I'd imagine that securing the data in the mod would be one of the things they'll do to prevent pirating the content. Which pretty much puts the kibosh on some of the grander ideas out there.

justified mod piracy has a nice ring to it though

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Archonex posted:

How would they secure the data in the mod, ESMs and ESPs are thoroughly understood and there would be no way to lock it up as inaccessible. You just do like you do for the official DLC checks on launch. Phone home, check your *official mods* list against what you're actually running, and if something isn't right, don't launch.

Sure you could change header data or try to strip out the method of checking but it quickly becomes :effort:.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
There's basically no chance anything on that platform won't be day-0 pirated.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Bongo Bill posted:

This system seems like something that I want to work.

I don't mind it. It sounds a lot better than the "yeah, you can elect to make your mod pay-to-play" model they tried a while ago. A LOT better.

I am still very concerned about the mod community splitting. The whole paid mods thing was what largely made SkyUI dev go off the deep end, and the whole concern with that from a community perspective was that it was all but a strict requirement by virtually every mod out there. Now, something like that going paid would likely provoke alternatives, but hence the concern over a community split.

A good example of this might be something like those realistic needs mods. Invariably they need compatibility patches, and you're just not going to get support from the mod community when authors undoubtedly would need to pay for whatever mods they're being requested to provide compatibility for. I figure a lot of mods will just get on this system only to die.

Now total overhauls, like Nehrim? (maybe that one was Oblivion, but same people). That's the sort of thing that could do really well on this platform. They inherently 'split' the community, but in a healthy way. They might not see quite the same sort of support, but at least some of the better total overhaul/epic quest mods might.

Kiggles fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Jun 12, 2017

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

The only reason this is really an issue is because Bethesda wants their loving cut.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Best case scenario is that actually talented modders get hired by Bethesda through the Creator's Project and increase the quality of later releases. Of course this will never happen and it will be a dumpster fire.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

The only reason this is really an issue is because Bethesda wants their loving cut.

Yeah which is why people will be justified in their going against this system. Bethesda already got their cut and they can gently caress right off if they think they are owed anything more. Personally how I feel about it and I'm willing to bet other people as well.
It isn't even about the money either, it's the micro transaction nature of it and the bad-for-the-health of the community.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Bethesda pushing paid mods again? How surprising~~

They are gonna keep doing it until it goes through.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Dongattack posted:

Bethesda pushing paid mods again? How surprising~~

They are gonna keep doing it until it goes throughthey go bankrupt.

Which is what will happen if they are really this stupid.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Gotta be honest, this new system doesnt sound too shabby, as long as its not mandatory.

Nasgate
Jun 7, 2011

Agents are GO! posted:

Gotta be honest, this new system doesnt sound too shabby, as long as its not mandatory.

Yeah, I would honestly pay money for some mods that actually have a qa process and a bit of professionalism.

I also can't wait for angry rejected Nexus modders, especially ones that can't meet the contract because they actually can't create original content and get axed.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.

Agents are GO! posted:

I'd be much more likely to take part if there was a subscription ala Netflix or Google Music. I don't want to do the pick and choose thing, I like modding because I get all the content and the fun is picking through it. Add a price tag on top of it just means another thing I have to take into account when I'm trying to titilate my waifu.

Jo Joestar
Oct 24, 2013
I've just reinstalled Skyrim after a fairly long break from it, and I've run into a problem following the OP's guide to modding. One of the first things the OP and STEP tell me to do is to install it outside of c:\Program Files, but Steam is being very uncooperative - apparantly I can only have one Steam folder per drive, and I don't have an alternate drive to download it to. I've been able to launch the game after manually transferring the Skyrim folder out of the Steam folder, but Steam doesn't recognise it in its new location. Is there any better solution to this?

E: Thank you!

Jo Joestar fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jun 12, 2017

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

I didn't write that part of the OP and I don't actually do that step (never had a need to), so I can't really speak to any issue with it. However, I think it would probably help to use Steam Mover.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Best case scenario is that actually talented modders get hired by Bethesda through the Creator's Project and increase the quality of later releases. Of course this will never happen and it will be a dumpster fire.

Speaking of talented modders. I meant to post this before I was distracted by the Creation Club thing. This guy is doing some absolutely batshit insane stuff (in a good way) with Skyrim. It's easily the most complex and impressive thing i've seen, and once it's finished will probably make it a whole new game in an actual dynamic world.

http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/10289/? posted:

Organic Factions are groups which can level up, expand territory,secure resources, and be slain completely independent of the player. This makes the game world feel more diverse and alive, and can offer up a whole new set of challenges for the player. Which leaders should you trust? Which underlings might eventually climb the ranks and pose a threat, or become allies? For more info, check out the video below:

His video explains it more here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCXEsoDA5Cc

It basically uses the faction identifier system as a base to create living breathing factions that slowly conquer the dungeons in the world. So a vampire clan can start out at Bloodlet Throne or Volkihar Castle and start conquering their area of the world, before eventually coming into contact with other factions. Or the Forsworn can eventually get such power and numbers that they can lay siege to Markath. This includes them getting access to unique suppliers and "jungle style" moba camps that help supplement their troops and supplies. So them finding a dungeon with an alchemist in it means they'll have heals and neat buffs, etc, etc, etc.

If they get too strong they can actually out level the player too. But it works, seeing as how each of the leveled characters is persistent. Which means you can run hit and run attacks on a base of operations if the enemy is 20+ levels above you to whittle their numbers down.

What's more, this works as a way to hold the faction up, since the game features working representatives of each faction that act as lynch pins for progression of the faction. If you take out a lieutenant then the whole faction loses it's progression level-wise until a new one is elected and reaches their prior level. You can also assassinate the suppliers and "jungle" camp people to shut down their own supply of troops too. Suffice to say that actually making the world a living and changing thing opens up all sorts of new game play opportunities for different playstyles. Here's a quote that goes into detail on what I mean:

quote:

Features
Independent leveling of NPCs: Both leaders and minions level up independent of the player.
Leaders will have their own unique spells and abilities, many of which will increase in power as they level up. These include use of the [SSE Enhanced AI Framework].
As the leaders level up, they will start to gain a following. These individuals will have their own skills and combat roles.
Once the leaders achieve a certain level of power (levels and followers), they will venture forth on certain days to support and broker alliances with other allies in the area.
Each leader can have one or more favored sub-groups of followers, which will be given special treatment so long as their leader is alive. This can include access to better resources, equipment, and training.
Resource Providers: Alchemists, armorers, etc. can be wooed into supporting an Organic Faction. These Actors will create resources (potions, armor, etc.) which will be shared among Faction members. The player can intercept these goods, depriving the Faction of their benefits while profiting off of their labor.
MOBA-style "jungle" locations / "camps" which the enemy can capture to gain more support troops. The player can observe these troops and take them out before they join the main group.
Organic Factions can establish patrols which prevent the player from Fast Traveling directly into their strongholds. Once the Organic Faction has been beaten back, Fast Travel will once again become available.
Documentation has been released, but is "on pause" while I build out the "Organic Factions Extension".

Demo Faction Features posted:

The first new Organic Faction is located in and around Deepwood Vale (near Solitude). They will eventually gain power and obtain potions from an Alchemist in Druadach Redoubt on Mondays, and visit Blind Cliff Cave on Wednesdays to pick up some well-armored troops. Four of the leaders are unique individuals which will not respawn when slain, either by the player or randomly in the background. Once these are all gone, the Hagravens will nominate a BriarHeart Warrior to take command of the region. If he is slain, another will eventually be nominated to take his place.

He's released a demo of it, turning the Forsworn into their own organic faction. And a second faction is about to be released on Special Edition soon. He's also released a framework mod that lets people design their own organic factions.

He also is hoping the Skyrim community will help him with designing more factions and their AI. Because making something like this is complicated as hell. So if you've got any help to offer posting on the comment page asking him what you can do would be awesome. I'm thinking of volunteering making a few of the "friendly" factions like the Stormcloaks and Legion or the Dawnguard/Volkihar factions into a proper organic faction.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Holy poo poo.