Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Bucswabe posted:

For the people who read the comics, I'm curious to know: did some of the story lines that they breezed past in the show get more time in the comics?

It felt like Terminus and the wolves were going to be much bigger story arcs, but both just seemed to end without a whole lot of afterthought.
Joe the Claimer and his band were a new addition to the show. In the comics, they were just a random pack of emaciated inbred types that stumbled onto Rick's group and almost raped Carl before being murdered like in the S4 finale, but here they were given a lot more screentime and backstory beforehand.

The comic's version of the Lizzie/Mika storyline was underwhelming too. The comics had a twin brother duo who grew increasingly cold after their father died as time went on, but there wasn't a lot of focus on them, and when the one brother snapped and killed the other, Carl took matters into his own hands and killed the psycho brother in cold blood. That's it. No feeding of rats or weird zombiephilia or anything.

The show has, even at its worst and most drawn out, been head and shoulders above the comic. That's why it's disappointing to see them follow Comic Negan's notorious reputation to the letter from the S7 premiere when all the threats in the show have been far more intimidating, instead of doing their own thing with Show Negan.

Shitenshi fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JossiRossi
Jul 28, 2008

A little EQ, a touch of reverb, slap on some compression and there. That'll get your dickbutt jiggling.

Comic Negan is perhaps the most embarrassing writing I have ever seen in any format.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

JossiRossi posted:

Comic Negan is perhaps the most embarrassing writing I have ever seen in any format.

You don't read your posts? :v:

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Blazing Ownager posted:

Dropping this single panel completely made Carl look like a loving moron and Negan look invincible. Seriously why the gently caress did they cut this panel?

ED: Carl also killed like 5 people in the comics version and was 200% more badass.
A lot of the issue is that in this panel, Carl's wielding :supaburn: Abraham's special machine gun that only he ever used! Also, Carl's still like less than 10-12 years old in this panel - the actor playing him has rapidly aged out of the role because Carl was really pretty little in the comics when they began, and he doesn't reach the age of his actor for like 2 more years of the comics. Negan shows him his wives and Carl's obviously not old enough to really get what's going on.

The scene in the comics when he is confronted by the barber woman's son (in the comics there's only one, and he's very young, named Ron) about how Rick killed his drunken murderous wife-beating dad kind of shows just how young Carl is - he's the same age as the barber woman's son (who's 7-9) - and that kid breaks down and it's revealed how he still calls his father "my daddy!" and Rick "your daddy!" after trying to act hard-rear end for about 5 seconds total:

(one of my favorite pages in the entire run of the comic.)

But for reference, when Carl got shot by the deer hunter dude in the comic, he's like maybe 8 years old - and he looks like a 5 year-old. Then they spend a couple/few months with Hershel, they hang out at the prison long enough for Lori to have the baby she was carrying since Shane got killed, then they wander around and do the terminus thing which only takes like a few weeks really, and wam bam they're in Alexandria.

That's like, a year, year and a half that they were on the road between him getting popped and them ending up in Alexandria tops.

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 01:31 on Dec 12, 2016

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I like that the comics are constantly pointed to as though there's a tightly written canon that this show supposedly reflects/will reflect like it's Game of Thrones or something lmao

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Last Chance posted:

I like that the comics are constantly pointed to as though there's a tightly written canon that this show supposedly reflects/will reflect like it's Game of Thrones or something lmao

Here is my favorite panel of all, furthermore
*fart*

Eyochigan
Dec 13, 2006

It's not rape unless I explicitly see it!

Last Chance posted:

:goonsay:

edit: f. b.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
At least the comic book people actually work on their material, unlike gurm the absolute fucker.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmKhGqWcJGY

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

It's also extremely telling that TWD video game with silly branching storylines/plots is still somehow much better written than this show.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

That is one of the worst drawings I've ever seen in a comic book, holy poo poo. Is comic book Carl supposed to be a little person? I mean yeah he's young but he looks like a loving ventriloquist dummy.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Yeah, he looks completely out of proportion there.

brocked
Oct 25, 2005

All shall love me and despair!
I didn't know Australia sent any little people to Gallipoli

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Last Chance posted:

It's also extremely telling that TWD video game with silly branching storylines/plots is still somehow much better written than this show.

Is the comic writer involved with the games?

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Maggie is sad :smith:

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Daryl dies tonight!

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

so probably about 88 minutes of monologuing and commercials and 2 minutes of plot advancement?

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
He looks like Cosmo Kramer's cousin.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Tara's about to do something more reckless than Rosita's one bullet assassination attempt :ohdear:

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

We are the Invisible Spatula. We are the Grilluminati. We eat before and after dinner. We eat forever. And eventually... eventually we will lead them into the dining room.
This is literally a video game level.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Good thing Rick found the Governer's boat.

some bust on that guy
Jan 21, 2006

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
A Nike commercial just aired calling people stupid for watching this show instead of running.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

LOL

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Stay away from Spencer random Savior girl, he'll let you down every time

delfin
Dec 5, 2003

SNATTER'S ALIVE?!?!
Yes, Eugene does.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

oh hey carol forgot you were on this show

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Of course Eugene likes to watch.

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

Why yes, I most certainly do enjoy observing romantic interludes without the consent of the involved parties.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
This is a good rick rowing episode.

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

100% bit

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!
Oooh. A mysterious boot.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.
Wear your safety belt, Michonne.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary
Eat apple pie straight off the spatula. gently caress plates. Plates are for losers

OMG JC a Bomb!
Jul 13, 2004

DarklyDreaming posted:

Eat apple pie straight off the spatula. gently caress plates. Plates are for losers

Negan broke their plates one by one. AND HE MADE THEM WATCH.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

This guy wants to make the perfect murder team, and he went to the right people.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tenzarin posted:

This is a good rick rowing episode.

Can't believe we got Rickrowed <:mad:>

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

bobjr posted:

This guy wants to make the perfect murder team, and he went to the right people.

Really, he only needs one of those people. No team necessary.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Whole lotta people want to kill a guy who is sitting prone, unarmed, and without backup right now. Can't wait for another hour of dancing around why that's not just going to happen.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
We know he's season 8 soo

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

LOL

"Everyone has somebody, Carl and Michonne have Rick, Aaron has Eric, Eugene...knows things..."

:laugh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

fullroundaction posted:

Whole lotta people want to kill a guy who is sitting prone, unarmed, and without backup right now. Can't wait for another hour of dancing around why that's not just going to happen.

Turns out Negan just wanted to see people actually try and kill him, earning his respect, while he continues to make Rick his bitch.