Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Monkey Fracas posted:

Is BotW in the running for best open-world game ever? It's kind of sounding that way

Witcher 3 still holds the gold standard for me in terms of a world full of interesting stories and discoveries. Still mindblowing how they created so much. I never even played the expansions but got over 90 hours on the base game alone, I had so much fun doing anything and everything for people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I played Zelda a bunch on the NES but I was a dumb kid and I don't think I ever really understood it. I think the first Zelda I ever properly played through was Link's Awakening, and really that's a drat good place to start.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

MinibarMatchman posted:

Witcher 3 still holds the gold standard for me in terms of a world full of interesting stories and discoveries. Still mindblowing how they created so much. I never even played the expansions but got over 90 hours on the base game alone, I had so much fun doing anything and everything for people.

I'd say The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild are the three best open world games I've ever played, and they all do something better than the others do.

The Witcher 3 has the best story and the most involved and cool side quests. Horizon has the best combat and some of the most fun-to-play-with tools. Breath of the Wild has the best world design to support exploration and discovery. A hypothetical game that managed to combine all three would be frighteningly close to perfect.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://i.imgur.com/9DzOKdh.gifv

I forgot I had this saved

lmao

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Harrow posted:

I'd say The Witcher 3, Horizon Zero Dawn, and Breath of the Wild are the three best open world games I've ever played, and they all do something better than the others do.

The Witcher 3 has the best story and the most involved and cool side quests. Horizon has the best combat and some of the most fun-to-play-with tools. Breath of the Wild has the best world design to support exploration and discovery. A hypothetical game that managed to combine all three would be frighteningly close to perfect.

Sunset: Breath of the Witcher

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I bought The Witcher 3 at launch and still haven't played it properly because I ended up just playing gwent after the tutorial area then got distracted by a different game or something. It keeps nagging at me because I don't like buying games and not playing/finishing them (i don't know how steam people live with themselves)

But I picked up FFXV again so I need to finish that and I need to plat Yakuza 0 before I buy Nier and I need to finish that before Persona 5 comes out and I still haven't bought RE7 and now I'm kind of in the mood to buy Yoshi's Wooly World and I still haven't bought the new miku oh no

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Harrow posted:

I haven't played Breath of the Wild but to me Red Dead Redemption sits right next to TW3 and HZD. It was just such a fantastic gameworld to roam through, even the activities you had to repeat were fun and the random encounters were as good as what TW3 did.

I can't wait to play RDR2, if it releases in 2017 like currently suggested then this year is truly going to be insane.

Serf
May 5, 2011

If both RDR2 and Destiny 2 come out in 2017 then this is gonna be a wild year for video games. I'm just sitting here trying to wait patiently for Prey.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Breath of the Wild's kind of minimalist music design is brilliant, because it makes you really sit up and take notice when it kicks in. Especially in Hyrule Castle, which is an extremely :aaaaa: moment, musically. Ballad of the Wind Fish mixed with Hyrule Field and some notes of the LttP Hyrule Castle theme thrown in? Jesus they knocked that one out of the park.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

my thoughts on the music while i was playing: white orchard from witcher 3 would be good here. man all the wind waker music was really good. oh this is dragonroost but really slow. i wonder what clock town would be like without the three music cues

i dunno it wasn't really a big deal but nintendo is aces when it comes to music and leaving it out seems like a misstep. instead of music cutting in, imagine how powerful it would be to have music fade out on top of a remote mountain and it's just the wind. i did really like the zora dungeon music though

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

The music in Nier is really cool because there's like 6 or 7 different versions of every song that fade in and out depending on what's happening, and completing side quests will change the music for a bit relating to what happened in the side story. Neat touch

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

got any sevens posted:

Is there anything that might scratch this itch?

Did you try EU4 instead of CK2? It's still a bit fiddly at times but it's got a hell of a lot less busywork and a pretty decent balance of building/development and war. Still needs a lot of time investment to learn all the systems, but they feel a lot more interesting and meaningful and less obnoxious in general than CK2, and the core style of the game is about running a country and not about herding cats.

You could also look at something like Thea: The Awakening, which is more similar to something like King of Dragon Pass, but it does have town/resource management, building, research, combat, and story elements.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

In Training posted:

The music in Nier is really cool because there's like 6 or 7 different versions of every song that fade in and out depending on what's happening, and completing side quests will change the music for a bit relating to what happened in the side story. Neat touch

Nier has suchan incredibly beautiful collection of songs that really capture moments of innocence and determination. Everything from the tune in the robot forest village to the post-Flooded City desperately looking for people, the soundtrack supports perfectly. At times it's very minimalist but I could listen to those tracks for hours.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

oddium posted:

my thoughts on the music while i was playing: white orchard from witcher 3 would be good here. man all the wind waker music was really good. oh this is dragonroost but really slow. i wonder what clock town would be like without the three music cues

i dunno it wasn't really a big deal but nintendo is aces when it comes to music and leaving it out seems like a misstep. instead of music cutting in, imagine how powerful it would be to have music fade out on top of a remote mountain and it's just the wind. i did really like the zora dungeon music though

I don't think Nintendo was ever going to license Witcher music ???

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

white orchard isn't even on the witcher 3 OST... hah. worth a shot....

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
https://twitter.com/artistmaterial/status/841067730077851648

Real talk: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is unironically better than any of the Zelda games

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Is it really though

e: i liked THPS3 better than 2

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

THPS3 is better than 2 but none of them are better than majora's mask.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

Is it really though

e: i liked THPS3 better than 2

:cheers:

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Macaluso posted:

Real talk: Tony Hawk's Pro Skater 2 is unironically better than any of the Zelda games

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

In Training posted:

THPS3 is better than 2 but none of them are better than majora's mask.

Update me when Link gets a mask that lets him ride a skateboard

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

you get a mask that turns you into a flaming wheel

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

oddium posted:

you get a mask that turns you into a flaming wheel

I didn't say flaming wheel though i said skateboard. Stop trolling

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I just went to metacritic remembering that I haven't been there for a while and I discovered that there's a new Samurai Jack season released on Adult Swim and people are raving about it so I'll definitely check it out.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Update me when Link gets a mask that lets him ride a skateboard

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

SIIIGH that's a top. I don't want to play beyblade. Reported

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Picking up speed, runnin' out of time
Goin' head to head
It's the way of life
We gotta fall down and meet ground
To get back up again
Let's Beyblade!
Spinning it out at the speed of sound
Gonna rip it up
Now the bet is down
We're the team with a bang, our gang is the one that's gonna win!
Let's Beyblade!
Beyblade!
Let's Beyblade!
Let's Beyblade!
Beyblade!
Let It Rip!

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

amazing how someone can have such a closed mind regarding magical extreme sports

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Macaluso posted:

SIIIGH that's a top. I don't want to play beyblade. Reported

The best Spyro game had skateboarding sub-levels :cool:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

If any franchise could benefit from a high fantasy reboot, it's Tony Hawk's Legend of Pro Skater.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
I'd prefer Star Tony: The Next Skateration: Deep Skate 9 personally

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

isn't tony hawk 2 the one with Spider-Man? if so then I fully support that as the rightful king

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

VideoGames posted:

BOTW is my first real Zelda. I will tell you the sad tale of why this is so.

Many moons ago I owned a NES. I loved my NES. My first console and it has my favourite video game of all time on it (SMB3) which was also the very first game I ever completed. I wanted to get all the games for it! So I asked my parents to get me the Legend of Zelda, which I'd heard good things about.

They went on holiday to America and when they returned, they were holding the golden Legend of Zelda version of the cartridge. I was excited! So, SO excited. I'd been wanting to play this game for so long and here it was in my hands. I wasn't allowed to play it until my birthday, about a week away, but my parents said I could read the manual. I did. I read it back to front. I had a proper sized map too. I put the map to one side as I did not want to spoil anything.

My birthday comes around and I wake up early to play the game! I slot it in press the power button. It turns on but the picture jumps up and down. I am confused. I take it out and try again. Same thing.

It is then I discover region locking.

I am crushed. My parents tried to get me a convertor for months and months, but eventually we all gave up and my legend of zelda cart was sold on and I never got to play it. My next console was not the SNES but the Megadrive. I sometimes wonder if this crushing disappointment was the reason I avoided Nintendo consoles until the WiiU.

This was like a Raymond Carver short story. I would have felt so bad as a parent if this happened

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Did you try EU4 instead of CK2? It's still a bit fiddly at times but it's got a hell of a lot less busywork and a pretty decent balance of building/development and war. Still needs a lot of time investment to learn all the systems, but they feel a lot more interesting and meaningful and less obnoxious in general than CK2, and the core style of the game is about running a country and not about herding cats.

You could also look at something like Thea: The Awakening, which is more similar to something like King of Dragon Pass, but it does have town/resource management, building, research, combat, and story elements.

Added EU4 to my wishlist, I'll check it when it goes on a sale. Thea's on sale though so I'll try that today, thanks!

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

got any sevens posted:

Added EU4 to my wishlist, I'll check it when it goes on a sale. Thea's on sale though so I'll try that today, thanks!

EU 4 is literally on sale for 45 more seconds on Humble right now!!!!

...and it's gone. Oh man, the timing. Another ironic story of modern alienation and missed opportunities

mutata
Mar 1, 2003

So I haven't bought HZD yet, but would a mapless playthrough be a thing I should do?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

mutata posted:

So I haven't bought HZD yet, but would a mapless playthrough be a thing I should do?

If by mapless you mean without using a minimap, there isn't one to begin with. There's a compass and a lot of on-screen quest objective directors but you can turn them off if you want.

If you mean the main, big map in the pause menu you're probably gonna need it to find your way around, especially if you aren't using quest objective markers or the compass.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah, I used the map a ton, but then again I was always bad at orienteering. I guess the landscape is varied enough that you could probably find your away around without a map, but I don't think the directions quest givers give are detailed enough for you to find places without the waypoint.

I'm trying to remember, there was a game where NPCs would give you pretty detailed directions to places so that you could completely navigate without a map, wasn't there

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Palpek posted:

I just went to metacritic remembering that I haven't been there for a while and I discovered that there's a new Samurai Jack season released on Adult Swim and people are raving about it so I'll definitely check it out.

The premiere ep was awesome, being on Adult Swim let them get really weird with it and since it's a set 8-episode series there's going to be an overarching plot and a set ending.

From what little we hear of him so far the soundalike they get to voice Aku is just off enough to remind you that Mako is dead and gone, but that's just one of those things you have to roll with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah, I used the map a ton, but then again I was always bad at orienteering. I guess the landscape is varied enough that you could probably find your away around without a map, but I don't think the directions quest givers give are detailed enough for you to find places without the waypoint.

I'm trying to remember, there was a game where NPCs would give you pretty detailed directions to places so that you could completely navigate without a map, wasn't there

The Witcher 3 is pretty good about giving you detailed directions so you can navigate without a map. You could do it in Breath of the Wild, too, if you make liberal use of marking things with your Shiekah slate and pulling it out every now and again to look for the big colorful pins on the horizon. Most of the main places you need to visit have huge landmarks you can see from nearly anywhere, or are easy to figure out the direction to without them. (BotW could use a compass, though, because if you turn off the minimap you have no indicator of which way is north except for guessing based on where Death Mountain is.)

But yeah, Horizon kinda assumes you're using the waypoints on the compass to find your way, so NPCs don't give you good enough directions that you could get around without ever consulting a map. But it also doesn't give you a minimap and doesn't really require one, which is nice.

• Locked thread