Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

The Saucer Hovers posted:

all coaches have it coming

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Man that episode of cheers where Sam just slaps Diane around

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://twitter.com/neilaglet/status/1110933702316564482

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

spoiling a 35 year old show because it took me by surprise but fras pulling a gun on sam after getting back from Italy was super weird

Of course after that Frasier just becomes a sad sack doing Charlie Work for the bar and the show just....keeps going. Later that night when falling asleep I put Frasier on and it was the episode with Diane Chambers, and the whole scene where he's freaking out in Niles' office makes so much more sense. "You...DID tell her how that made you feel, didn't you?"

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

spoiling a 35 year old show because it took me by surprise but fras pulling a gun on sam after getting back from Italy was super weird

Of course after that Frasier just becomes a sad sack doing Charlie Work for the bar and the show just....keeps going. Later that night when falling asleep I put Frasier on and it was the episode with Diane Chambers, and the whole scene where he's freaking out in Niles' office makes so much more sense. "You...DID tell her how that made you feel, didn't you?"

I watched Frasier years before watching Cheers and I always wondered why Frasier reacted so strongly to Diane showing up and now I'm like why didn't he just shoot her as soon as she slimed her way to Seattle

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Diane achieves this zen-like transdendance where the character and the actress are equally insufferable and there's nothing remotely redeemable about Diane in Frasier by the time she shows up.

I know they play up Lillith as the ur-Sheba, but Diane is like some platonic hell-creature.

I always thought their dumb reconciliation following her crappy play was forced and an unnecessary excuse to close the book on that storyline.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

FilthyImp posted:

Diane achieves this zen-like transdendance where the character and the actress are equally insufferable

We call this the Geller-Schwimmer Effect

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

the best lil joke in that episode is in the play when ned/norm walks in and gets a "hey ned" from play-sam

then the Diane character walks in and the whole bar shouts "mary anne!"

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FilthyImp posted:

Diane achieves this zen-like transdendance where the character and the actress are equally insufferable and there's nothing remotely redeemable about Diane in Frasier by the time she shows up.

I have memories of the time when it was announced that Shelley Long was leaving Cheers to focus on her movie career, and then proceeded to make such cinematic gems as Troop Beverly Hills :laugh:

Bloodplay it again
Aug 25, 2003

Oh, Dee, you card. :-*

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I have memories of the time when it was announced that Shelley Long was leaving Cheers to focus on her movie career, and then proceeded to make such cinematic gems as Troop Beverly Hills :laugh:

To be fair to her, she was lead actress of a show that went from basically dead last in ratings to right at the top and if there was ever a time to try and get out of TV to focus on movies, she left at the right time (five seasons into stardom). To be fair to the rest of the world, I don't think she realized Diane was not the reason Cheers was so successful. If Shelley hadn't ditched TV, we wouldn't have gotten Rebecca Howe and we most certainly would not have gotten three Academy Award-winning Look Who's Talking movies.

vivisectvnv
Aug 5, 2003
let us remember the scene in which Martin and Fraser attempt to do a "jewish mother-daughter" blow-out fight but realize that they are not equipped for it and just spiral into a mutual total crying breakdown

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Sydney Bottocks posted:

(Pawn guy throwing chair)
TROOP BEVERLY HILLS IS AN ENJOYABLE MOVIE!

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

got a soft spot for money pit myself

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Man Kelsey Grammer was rain thin in his first appearance huh, he really looks identical to David Hyde Pierce

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016

Calaveron posted:

Man Kelsey Grammer was rain thin in his first appearance huh, he really looks identical to David Hyde Pierce

e: Frasier 'Caine :sadcoke:

Harold Stassen fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Mar 29, 2019

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

vivisectvnv posted:

let us remember the scene in which Martin and Fraser attempt to do a "jewish mother-daughter" blow-out fight but realize that they are not equipped for it and just spiral into a mutual total crying breakdown

I watched this one the other day

Niles as Jesus was inspired. Though the best Niles costume is still when he dresses up as Martin and throws his head back to do a John Mahoney belly laugh.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Quote-Unquote posted:

I watched this one the other day

Niles as Jesus was inspired. Though the best Niles costume is still when he dresses up as Martin and throws his head back to do a John Mahoney belly laugh.

Niles dresses as his dad for a dress like your hero party it's the sweetest drat thing.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

then it gets dark

Harold Stassen
Jan 24, 2016
Yeah that one gets way too real

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
When Martin yells at him I recoil as if my real dad was yelling at me and feel about 6 years old

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

tactlessbastard posted:

What was offensive about Friends? I never really watched any of it.

- a lot of the humor is gay jokes or characters punitively ridiculing each other over any deviation from the gender norms at the time
- there's an episode where joey's whole plot & joke is that his family tailor was a molester who groped joey's junk every time he was there
- ross & rachel's relationship is horribly unhealthy to themselves, each other, and their friends, and reveals them both to be bad people
- negative lgbtq representation: ross' lesbian ex-wife is ross' villain for much of the series, and chandler's transgender (or just transvestite?) dad largely serves as something for chandler to complain about and other characters to laugh at Chandler: "My whole life was doomed from the start, I have had to crawl my way up, in Dickensian fashion, from extreme hardship to become but a humble transponster, for you see, my father is a cross-dresser"
- still a pretty dece show tbqh

Doctor Dogballs fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Mar 29, 2019

Doctor Dogballs
Apr 1, 2007

driving the fuck truck from hand land to pound town without stopping at suction station

ross dresses like a loving buffoon throughout the whole series. his clothes look like absolute poo poo, especially his suits

whereas Fråësjier is worth watching for the neckties alone

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

tactlessbastard posted:

When Martin yells at him I recoil as if my real dad was yelling at me and feel about 6 years old

Going from "You're a good boy Niles" to "I will not sit here while I'm being portrayed as a drunken jackass" was super natural and Pierce and Mahoney just knocked it out of the park.

A good episode. Roz was Wonder Woman.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer

Solice Kirsk posted:

Going from "You're a good boy Niles" to "I will not sit here while I'm being portrayed as a drunken jackass" was super natural and Pierce and Mahoney just knocked it out of the park.

A good episode. Roz was Wonder Woman.

:hellyeah:

I loved when the characters would get real as gently caress and that episode delivers by the bucketload. Niles and Martin sort their poo poo out and then everyone agrees that Frasier is a pompous control freak. It's great.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
And the Roz is like no I didn’t dress up as Wonder Woman because I misheard she is legitimately my hero because she’s strong, confident and takes no guff from no one

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Roz owns. She probably had the best character development on the show, particularly in the later seasons. I'm guessing the writers and/or producers realized at a certain point that she couldn't just be a punching bag for cheap "slut" jokes anymore, especially after Niles and Daphne got married and created a story vacuum. I'm also guessing Peri Gilpin herself started pushing back on that kind of material as well.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Laterite posted:

Roz owns. She probably had the best character development on the show, particularly in the later seasons. I'm guessing the writers and/or producers realized at a certain point that she couldn't just be a punching bag for cheap "slut" jokes anymore, especially after Niles and Daphne got married and created a story vacuum. I'm also guessing Peri Gilpin herself started pushing back on that kind of material as well.

I mean, she got pregnant because the producers thought there should be consequences for her sleeping around so much

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

There are no greater consequences than being forced to work with a child actor.

GamingHyena
Jul 25, 2003

Devil's Advocate
Did Roz's kid factor into any of the episodes besides the birth?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

GamingHyena posted:

Did Roz's kid factor into any of the episodes besides the birth?
There was the big 2 parter announcing she was pregnant.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The suuuuper creepy bit where Bulldog babysits for Roz to get closer to her.

Funny thing is Bulldog is actually pretty good with kids.

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The suuuuper creepy bit where Bulldog babysits for Roz to get closer to her.

Funny thing is Bulldog is actually pretty good with kids.

I may be alone in this, but I find that scene between Roz and Bulldog after he comes clean to be one of the best-acted in the entire series.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Bulldog was a lovely character

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Could have been worse, we could have had a lot more Chopper Dave

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Insufficient romping in the fens and spinneys.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Darthemed posted:

Insufficient romping in the fens and spinneys.

*pops a series of balloons with increasing panic*

Christoph
Mar 3, 2005
I just got to the one where he's like

PEOPLE OF SEATTLE
LISTEN TO MEEEEEEEE

God dang that dude knows how to yell

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I just kind of felt sorry for Bulldog. He clearly was a better man than he acted. I don't know if there was something wrong with him or what, but he couldn't figure out how to just let go of the toxic masculinity and just love honestly.

By the time he's really trying to be genuine he's poisoned the well.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doctor Dogballs posted:

- a lot of the humor is gay jokes or characters punitively ridiculing each other over any deviation from the gender norms at the time
- there's an episode where joey's whole plot & joke is that his family tailor was a molester who groped joey's junk every time he was there
- ross & rachel's relationship is horribly unhealthy to themselves, each other, and their friends, and reveals them both to be bad people
- negative lgbtq representation: ross' lesbian ex-wife is ross' villain for much of the series, and chandler's transgender (or just transvestite?) dad largely serves as something for chandler to complain about and other characters to laugh at Chandler: "My whole life was doomed from the start, I have had to crawl my way up, in Dickensian fashion, from extreme hardship to become but a humble transponster, for you see, my father is a cross-dresser"
- still a pretty dece show tbqh

Ross struggling with his ex and her new lover/spouse over his child is pretty standard stuff, it's a stretch to call either of them his "villain" and they're certainly not the audience's villains.

They did have a long term affair though so neither are great people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Brawnfire posted:

I just kind of felt sorry for Bulldog. He clearly was a better man than he acted. I don't know if there was something wrong with him or what, but he couldn't figure out how to just let go of the toxic masculinity and just love honestly.

Classic mentality of men of that age, in their lifetimes they had to watch women slowly crawl their way up towards being more equal and it freaked them out on a deep level, these are the same types that roll their eyes at the concept of HR or sexual harassment training.

I think the actor who plays him does amazing work though, he's very good at showing how manic Bulldog's emotional state is, rapidly changing from bold and confident to angry and fragile at the drop of a hat.