Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

Thanatosian posted:

Google and Microsoft really need to get on inventing email 2.0.

Just what I need, Email 2.0 where everything requires a loving monthly subscription.

Want to send and receive basic email? Monthly subscription.
Want to use TLS? That's extra!
Want built-in virus scanning? That's a per-user subscription fee as well!
Want to use DMARC records? Open up the wallet because that requires subscription to a substantially more expensive tier!
Want to use S/MIME? That's extra!
Want to use DKIM? Have we got a deal for you!
Want to opt out of data collection whereby we scan all your emails so we can send targeted ads to you? That requires subscription to our enterprise plan!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I want an MTA that doesn't require a billion config files or supporting daemons or other bits and bobs you have to configure (like DNS records).

Like apache. Can we have something that you install, set a couple options, and it fires up and is secure enough to put on the public internet and be a good neighbor to everyone else?

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

Just what I need, Email 2.0 where everything requires a loving monthly subscription.

Want to send and receive basic email? Monthly subscription.
Want to use TLS? That's extra!
Want built-in virus scanning? That's a per-user subscription fee as well!
Want to use DMARC records? Open up the wallet because that requires subscription to a substantially more expensive tier!
Want to use S/MIME? That's extra!
Want to use DKIM? Have we got a deal for you!
Want to opt out of data collection whereby we scan all your emails so we can send targeted ads to you? That requires subscription to our enterprise plan!
Are you talking about Google Apps? Because Office 365 has all of those built in.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

anthonypants posted:

Are you talking about Google Apps? Because Office 365 has all of those built in.

But it's a thing you have to pay an annual license fee for, subscription!

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

anthonypants posted:

Sheep posted:

Just what I need, Email 2.0

It's okay, you can get the whole bundle in a season pass.

I was joking about the parcelizing and subscription-based monetization of various bits and pieces of stuff that in the past has typically been part of the package deal, for example operating systems and Office in Microsoft's case.

Sheep fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Feb 24, 2017

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

I was joking about how they would take the opportunity to build a new email system (Email 2.0) from the ground up using a bunch of subscription/add-on models. Surely it didn't fly over your head considering you're familiar with O365 and the fact that Microsoft is pushing hard for subscriptions on things like operating systems and Office now whereas in the past these were often one-off costs (especially for smaller businesses)?

Ah well, you can get the entire bundle in the season pass if you want :v:
So you want an "Email 2.0" product which necessitates garbage-tier hacks like S/MIME, and which doesn't enforce TLS as mandatory? That's even more disgusting.

Sheep
Jul 24, 2003

anthonypants posted:

So you want an "Email 2.0" product which necessitates garbage-tier hacks like S/MIME, and which doesn't enforce TLS as mandatory? That's even more disgusting.

Nothing of what I posted in any way equates to "what I want" and I am genuinely confused as to how you'd read it as such.

It's okay though, I think we've all been drinking since the Cloudflare announcement.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sheep posted:

Nothing of what I posted in any way equates to "what I want" and I am genuinely confused as to how you'd read it as such.

It's okay though, I think we've all been drinking since the Cloudflare announcement.
Oh, I should've said "need" instead of "want". My bad.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

The Fool posted:

Big remodel of the board room has been in planning for nearly 6 months. The contractors were scheduled to come next Monday to start the work.

Except the board chairman threw a fit about not being able to hold committee meetings in the board room during the two weeks the construction was scheduled and forced us to push the whole project back another month.

Mind you, these are small 5-person groups, most of whom would be attending by phone, and we have a half-dozen other rooms that would have worked for them.

To add on to this, the projector died yesterday, and they are going to have to use one of our janky portables until the remodel is done.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
I'm not 100% if it fits, but IT billing sucks. Working for an MSP is like 30% just juggling hours around so you don't get hosed out of your 40+. God I miss jobs where all I have to do is come to work, clock in and clock out.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

unruly posted:

I'm not 100% if it fits, but IT billing sucks. Working for an MSP is like 30% just juggling hours around so you don't get hosed out of your 40+. God I miss jobs where all I have to do is come to work, clock in and clock out.

I don't even clock in or out, I just do work and mark 80 hours every pay period.

Maigius
Jun 29, 2013

I really wish we could stick to our rules about not deploying anything on Fridays or after 2PM. Last week I deployed something (relatively urgent) at around 1:30 PM, mostly because a different group couldn't make one stupid little graphic. This morning, I asked the PM to talk down one of the managers from having me deploy an "urgent" change that wouldn't be needed until April.:psyduck: The cherry on the sundae is that I had to deploy a different type of thing at 4:15 PM today, breaking both of the rules. At least it will actually be needed over the weekend. If I am asked to deploy something next Friday, I think I will scream.

devmd01
Mar 7, 2006

Elektronik
Supersonik
poo poo that no longer pisses me off: my idiot boss, because I have a new one on Monday! :toot:

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Trigger warning: Buffalo NAS

https://mackeeper.com/blog/post/334-extensive-breach-at-intl-airport

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!
[screams internally]

I've seen stuff like this. Not as bad as that, but restricted resources being easily available to people who are capable of clicking a couple of buttons on a toolbar.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

ratbert90 posted:

Jet fuel can't melt Buffalo Nas'

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

unruly posted:

[screams internally]

I've seen stuff like this. Not as bad as that, but restricted resources being easily available to people who are capable of clicking a couple of buttons on a toolbar.

Yeah, at work they have a major file store available on the guest WiFi. I have yet to tell them as I am not strictly supposed to have access to the guest WiFi. It is sort of an open secret, I guess.

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Samizdata posted:

Yeah, at work they have a major file store available on the guest WiFi. I have yet to tell them as I am not strictly supposed to have access to the guest WiFi. It is sort of an open secret, I guess.
I have a client who was given access to an office building's vending wifi (one used for processing credit card transactions from vending machines, PoS, etc). Yet they would refuse to unblock a URL from their content filter.

:cry:

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Samizdata posted:

Isn't the whole point of guest wifi that pretty much anyone can have access...?

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

mllaneza posted:

Thank god we can close tickets without positive confirmation. "If I don't hear from you by Friday I'll assume we really fixed your poo poo, have a great weekend."

Auto resolvers own. Here, if a case is pending customer action for seven days it auto closes. It's reopenable by the customer (usually with a "whoops! Sorry.") but it sure filters out a lot of chaff.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

unruly posted:

I have a client who was given access to an office building's vending wifi (one used for processing credit card transactions from vending machines, PoS, etc). Yet they would refuse to unblock a URL from their content filter.

:cry:

Right right. Really all I use it for is Telegram messaging and looking stuff up (all good stuff) from my tablet. Well, that and boring crap like personal calendar syncs.

Thanatosian posted:

Isn't the whole point of guest wifi that pretty much anyone can have access...?

Not where I work at least. You need a password. It's not a good one, and they aren't really careful with it (which is how I found it out, while waiting weeks for access.)

Samizdata
May 14, 2007
Upon a bit more shitposting elsewhere, I thought I should clarify. Really, as far as I can tell, the distinction at work is that corporate LAN resources (or so I thought up until seeing the file dump) are unavailable from the guest access.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Thanks Ants posted:

You should keep the cable safe, ready to swap into the PC of a co-worker as a hilarious test.

I just want you to know that at least one person appreciated your callback to one of the classics.

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Agrikk posted:

Auto resolvers own. Here, if a case is pending customer action for seven days it auto closes. It's reopenable by the customer (usually with a "whoops! Sorry.") but it sure filters out a lot of chaff.

At my place, it's 3 attempts to contact or follow up, no more than once a day. Usually followed by indignant users because we didn't fix it. Fuckers. You opened the ticket on monday, ignored calls and emails tues, wed, and thur, then get mad when you get the closure email Friday that says "no return contact from user".

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Che Delilas posted:

I just want you to know that at least one person appreciated your callback to one of the classics.

I was waiting for the follow-up dog pile to complete it.

Agrikk
Oct 17, 2003

Take care with that! We have not fully ascertained its function, and the ticking is accelerating.

The Fool posted:

I don't even clock in or out I just do work and mark 80 hours every pay period.

Ftfy

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

Just sent my resignation effective immediately. Feels good man.

Not my style; but I'm sick of this lovely poo poo and between consulting on the side, and multiple offers on the table, I'm not feeling the need to stick out the typical two weeks for people who act like everyone they work with is the enemy. Ain't got time for that stress.

:unsmith:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Che Delilas posted:

I was just going to hope that unfortunate piece of posting history silently went away.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Trigger Warning: Mackeeper :froggonk:

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
Today I managed to piss off a vendor.

Apparently it's bad form to insist on following the law and refusing to "just install" their AD-scraping service on a domain controller. If that wasn't bad enough the same service would be sending the scraped names, usernames, group memberships, e-mails, phone numbers, and cellphone numbers to the vendor via FTP. All to help implement a nice-but-by-no-means-vital service. At the bare minimum we'd be setting up a separate server for the service, requiring an FTPS connection, and doing not a loving thing until they sign a vendor contract ("Databehandleraftale") ensuring they're legally obliged to implement the national security standards regarding personal data.

I'm suggesting they use our handy ADFS instead, but that's not what they're used to, so now we're the bad guys.
I won't lose any sleep over that.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Suck a fat dick, ACT!/Sage

11 < 7? Ooookay

mewse
May 2, 2006

Bob Morales posted:

11 < 7? Ooookay

They probably read one character for the version number and think you're running MSIE 1

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or they have an array of accepted versions and stopped adding anything after 10.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Bob Morales posted:

11 < 7? Ooookay

New sage works with IE11 at my work place. :confused:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Bob Morales posted:

11 < 7? Ooookay

Ahaha what is that icon from, IE 4?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

xzzy posted:

Or they have an array of accepted versions and stopped adding anything after 10.

This is what I normally see with these things.

User Agent String editors are useful tho!

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Bob Morales posted:

Didn't look at screenshot, still agreed

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

carry on then posted:

Ahaha what is that icon from, IE 4?

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Day 1 of being the expert on call for a cryptography system I don't understand nor do I have any background in.

Bring it on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

Bob Morales posted:

11 < 7? Ooookay

Triggered.