Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

huh neat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

carry on then posted:

ok has there been any successful rust rewrites

like, anything at all?

ripgrep owns, fd is nice. xsv is useful but I don’t think it’s a rewrite of anything.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
The new Bluetooth stack on Android

Curl's new backend

Cloudflare's WAF

Wireguard too

xtal fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Apr 8, 2021

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

the best part of the GIMP is when some open sores nutbag starts explaining that it's not ableist slang against people with physical disabilities, but merely a reference to a violent rape scene in a quentin tarantino movie

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

was gonna buy a USB 3.0 gigabit ethernet adapter for my pi so i can do internet crimes at even higher speeds
it's almost £30
loving leeches

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
didn't even realise gimp was a slur, i thought it was a bdsm thing. don't hear it much in aus though.

last time i looked up the docs for rust they were missing basic topics... i also find it kinda hard to read, but I guess c++ nightmare code is probably worse? i don't really give a poo poo though, im not programming in it.

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬
can the rpi4 boot from usb without hassle now? ive been hosed by so many power outages I've given up on using it

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

pre:
[me]@bagserv:~ $ ls /mnt/torrentdisk
ls: reading directory '/mnt/torrentdisk': Input/output error
this had better just be a case of me needing to jiggle the USB and not another loving dead drive i swear to christ
e: reboot fixed it, gonna save the dmesg logs for later

hbag fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Apr 8, 2021

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ah gotcha. Just take every service that is running on your desktop and isolate every single one into a VM or a container. Bing bong so simple lmao.

https://github.com/jessfraz/dockerfiles

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

DoomTrainPhD posted:

Ah gotcha. Just take every service that is running on your desktop and isolate every single one into a VM or a container. Bing bong so simple lmao.

well you wouldn’t run Linux on a desktop anyway

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Maximum Leader posted:

well you wouldn’t run Linux on a desktop anyway

it’s the goddamn year of Linux on the desktop though

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

what is linux

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A miserable little pile of SLOCs

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014

Captain Foo posted:

it’s the goddamn year of Linux on the desktop though

pretty sure that's current_year + 1 so 2022

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
use BSD

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

self harm requests are banned in yospos

RocketLunatic
May 6, 2005
i love lamp.
Steam runs on FreeBSD now so the year of Linux on the desktop is over!

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
1983 was the year of BSD on the desktop because that when the Sun-2 and SunOS came out

pram
Jun 10, 2001

RocketLunatic posted:

Steam runs on FreeBSD now so the year of Linux on the desktop is over!

freedom is playing video games through 5 different compatibility layers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Wild EEPROM posted:

i like how every one of these dumb os’ assume that the user has never used a computer before

if you knew anything about computers you’d know to stay away from desktop linux

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

the best part of the GIMP is when some open sores nutbag starts explaining that it's not ableist slang against people with physical disabilities, but merely a reference to a violent rape scene in a quentin tarantino movie

he also says the gamer word in that movie

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

akadajet posted:

he also says the gamer word in that movie
not a fan of qt giving a bunch of white dudes an n-word pass over the years but it did give us this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlNHXQCT_4

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

jesus WEP posted:

not a fan of qt giving a bunch of white dudes an n-word pass over the years but it did give us this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cOlNHXQCT_4

lmfao

animist
Aug 28, 2018
since my dev machine died I gotta put linux on my gaming desktop so I can do dev poo poo. trying to decide what distro to use this time.

debian? maybe I'll go with debian. i tried some of the "rolling release" distros but it turns out that just means "every update will break something".

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

animist posted:

it turns out that just means "every update will break something".

that's every distro though

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

animist posted:

since my dev machine died I gotta put linux on my gaming desktop so I can do dev poo poo. trying to decide what distro to use this time.

debian? maybe I'll go with debian. i tried some of the "rolling release" distros but it turns out that just means "every update will break something".

Debian is a terrible choice for gaming, Fedora has been a rock solid experience for me, I think manjaro and pop os are the other good gaming ones.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Honestly just use WSL if you need to have windows in your life.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
wsl is horrible nobody should be subjected to it

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Mr. Crow posted:

Debian is a terrible choice for gaming, Fedora has been a rock solid experience for me, I think manjaro and pop os are the other good gaming ones.

I've tried PopOS, Manjaro, and Fedora. Manjaro was the most flexible, for obvious reasons being an Arch based distro. It did eventually fail to boot for reasons unknown to me. I hadn't installed and new packages between the days it failed, but I did run an update, so it's possible I got to enjoy the beloved Arch update death.

PopOS worked well. It has built in support for pretty much all modern video cards. Didn't stay there too long before I went to Manjaro.

I'm currently on Fedora. I do kind of miss the AUR from Arch, but I've gotten everything i really need from Flathub, the built in Fedora Repos, and one manual install of an .rpm from a trusted source.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
psa: if you're still running apache httpd it's been a good run but you have only a couple weeks to switch to nginx before you become a hopeless laggard

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Cloudflare's frontend is based on nginx iirc so they're already losing

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009
I would love to try out envoy proxy, but Bazel is such a trash Build system that I don't want to touch with a 10-foot pole.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

bazel is insane... and each tensorflow update requires a new version of bazel

building tensorflow is one mechanism I use to stress test a system because bazel just uses all the processors and as much memory as possible. And I think that if you have more cores, then the memory requirements go up. Great way to see if your system can handle the max load for an extended time.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Mr. Crow posted:

wsl is horrible nobody should be subjected to it

really? the rare few times I’ve needed a linux shell it’s been good. and the best part is you don’t have to keep using linux afterwards

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

linux: for when you need to concatenate two files and about nothing else

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

akadajet posted:

really? the rare few times I’ve needed a linux shell it’s been good. and the best part is you don’t have to keep using linux afterwards

It's fine until you need to do actual work with it that requires any I/O Ops.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

DoomTrainPhD posted:

It's fine until you need to do actual work with it that requires any I/O Ops.

I thought wsl2 fixed that

12 rats tied together
Sep 7, 2006

its better in wsl2 but really you shouldnt be performing any of that kind of nonsense on your own box anyway

matti
Mar 31, 2019

wsl2 largest problem is there arent any support, you run into some very linuxy issue but you can't tell if its because of the os or the windows integration

aside from that, rock solid (also the new terminal likes to crash but otoh i use the preview version)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matti
Mar 31, 2019

but at that point youre better served by a vm anyway