Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Bad news: wife got a job in BC so now I have to deal with Vancouver people again. Good news: leaving Ontario.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Fallen Hamprince posted:

The entire federal NDP is a PR move.

What does this even mean?

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

cowofwar posted:

Bad news: wife got a job in BC so now I have to deal with Vancouver people again. Good news: leaving Ontario.

Enjoy your commute from Maple Ridge.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

cowofwar posted:

Would you rather pay higher electricity prices over time or live in a microcondo you had to outbid other leasees for. Decisions :ohdear:

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Where in bc? Good knows Nelson doesn't need more loving doctors

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

quote:

We all participated as members of an academic advisory board in designing
the mydemocracy.ca survey. In our role, we engaged in a discussion with Vox Pop Labs about
the general goals of the website and survey. We proposed survey questions and commented on
questions written by Vox Pop Labs.
While we were not responsible for the design of the final instrument or the selection of the final
survey items, we do feel that the choice of items is defensible and consistent with best practices
in survey design. Tradeoffs are unavoidable when choosing an electoral system, and the survey
aims to reflect this.
Our hope is that the data from this project will be made widely available in
the research community.

We have all been engaged in debates over electoral reform, in some cases for many years. While
we hold differing views on the best electoral system and the process for reforming our current
system, we are all committed to an open and informed debate.

André Blais, Université de Montréal
Elisabeth Gidengil, McGill University
Richard Johnston, University of British Columbia
Peter Loewen, University of Toronto
Scott Matthews, Memorial University
Jonathan Rose, Queen’s University
Laura Stephenson, Western University
Melanee Thomas, University of Calgary

If you want to feel good, let these eggheads have it on twitter. I certainly am.

e: Proud to say my alma mater isn't on the list. :feelsgood:

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I called the electoral reform hotline (1 844 690 8363, it's on the card they mailed out), and the operator told me they were busy and I needed to wait. Wait until 2019, most likely.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

PK loving SUBBAN posted:

e: Proud to say my alma mater isn't on the list. :feelsgood:

Another Trent grad, eh?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

infernal machines posted:

Another Trent grad, eh?

Naww Concordia. Even our slogan is anti-intellectual "Real education for the real world"

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Downtown Vancouver, we'll buy a SFH because thanks to lobbying our family income will be high and our tax liability will be stupid low and there are plenty of fun ways to funnel the corporation's cash (15% tax rate) in to family members that have nothing to do with the corporation.

Sucks to be salaried.

Also I may cost the family money by working lolololol

cowofwar fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 8, 2016

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
concordia always had the hottest chicks

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
Put Fidel Castro on all the money

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

DariusLikewise posted:

Put Fidel Castro on all the money

Fidel and Pierre Trudeau engaged in a passionate kiss.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Just another friendly reminder to the thread that we sold weapons to Saudi Arabia because to do otherwise would have threatened the sanctity of government contracts and that's one line Canada would never want to cross. Yemen is one of the poorest countries in the world and relies heavily on food imports. Since the Saudi's are generally terrible at fighting wars (there's a reason they've traditionally gotten the Americans to fight for them) last year they came up with the brilliant plan of sending their war planes into the key port city of Hodeida and bombing the cranes, bringing food imports to a grinding halt so that the country can be starved into submission. This is of course in addition to their more general policy of dropping bombs into civilian neighborhoods.

Anyway, the plan was a smashing success!

quote:

Yemen conflict: UN official accuses world of ignoring crisis
By Fergal Keane
BBC News, Hajjah, northern Yemen

6 December 2016
From the section Middle East

Ibrahim Bolgaith was born with severe malnutrition; his twin brother died

In the hands of the doctor, baby Ibrahim's head seems impossibly small. He cradles the child gently, conscious of his fragility. Everything around him seems improbably large.

The nappies Ibrahim wears are the smallest available but are still too big. With his large eyes and hollowed-out face, with ribs which press against his skin, the baby looks as if he is shrinking back into himself.

It seems perverse to describe a child in this state as "lucky". But Ibrahim has survived 21 days and doctors are hopeful he will endure. His twin brother died soon after he was born.

His mother, Wafaa Hatem, sits on the bed with her son, stroking his fingers when he cries.

Like three million other Yemenis, the family was displaced by the war. Their daily existence is circumscribed by the challenge of finding food to eat.

Ibrahim's father is a taxi driver but with a collapsing economy, he struggles to find customers.

"Sometimes my husband gets work," says Wafaa, "sometimes he can't find any. We eat sometimes, and sometimes we cannot provide anything."

System disintegrating
It is one testimony from a war that has caused child malnutrition rates to jump by 200% in two years.

Fifty per cent of medical facilities no longer function. Some have been bombed by the Saudi-led coalition, others have ground to a halt because there is no funding.
Key roads and bridges are frequently attacked, making the delivery of assistance even more difficult.

The flow of aid is frequently held up by rebels who want to control its distribution. Many civil servants, including those in the health sector, have not been paid in at least four months.
Charities like Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF) try to alleviate some of the distress but it is a huge task with such limited resources.

I met the MSF head of mission, Colette Gadenne, at the overburdened al-Jumhouri Hospital in Hajjah, one of the areas worst affected by the conflict.

"There is a system in place - feeding centres, nutritional programmes, but it is very difficult to monitor those programmes, and I fear that many families cannot just afford to even go, to even reach the facility, to be screened and to be admitted in the programme," she said.

"The whole system is really collapsing, hospitals are closing regularly, so it's very frightening to see how this country, which was already affected by poverty and poor governance, is going deeper and deeper every day."

Walk the corridors of the hospital and the war reveals itself.
You see farmers who were on their way to market, shredded by the high explosives and shrapnel of a Saudi air strike; the children emaciated from malnutrition and disease.

'Blind eye'

Out in the villages, among those too poor to afford the transport to hospital, people approach foreign visitors in the hope that they bring aid.
A boy brought his sick baby sister and crouched in front of us. An old man, not begging but looking at us with hope, had gathered his four hungry grandchildren.

Aisha Ali, who lost one child to malnutrition five months ago, presented her chronically ill four-month-old daughter Asma. The child's eyes were yellowed from liver problems brought on by malnutrition.

"We need treatment, if you have. What do you have? Any treatment, any medicines? We need anything, we need medicines. If you can give us any, thank you," she pleaded.

Local workers from the Save the Children charity run mobile health clinics in the area but they too are simply overwhelmed by the scale of demand.

The lack of clean water has deepened the crisis with a recent outbreak of cholera. There are countless cases of pneumonia and acute diarrhoea, which are devastating to vulnerable young lives.

The crisis in Yemen has been overshadowed by the wars in Syria and Iraq. Barely 50% of the funding promised by donors has actually been delivered.

The senior UN official in the country, Jamie McGoldrick, is clearly exasperated at the international response.

"The politics of the situation has overcome the humanity," he says.

"The humanity doesn't work anymore here. The world has turned a blind eye to what's happening in Yemen... right now we are so under-resourced for this crisis, it's extraordinary."

On the waterless, baking plain at Al Manjurah in Hajjah governorate, 17,000 people live in shelters made of tarpaulin, straw and mud.

Mahdi Ali Abdullah exists here with his wife and nine children. "We are scared of the air strikes. We move from one place to another," he tells me.

I struggle to hear his voice. His words make sense. They are formed in proper sentences. But all energy has been drained out of him. Only the war has any vitality left, trampling over the life of the nation.

Don't worry though, our foreign minister bravely condemned a single Saudi air strike from October and made some vague statement about the need for an immediate cessation of hostilities. That totally makes up for us selling them 15 billion dollars worth of weaponry and studiously ignoring the fact they are actively starving the population of one of the world's poorest countries. Our feminist Prime Minister can hardly be expected to do more than that, can he?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Right but if those arms factories lost jobs they'd all vote fascist next election and things would be even worse. Sorry Yemen babies you gotta die for our middle class' false sense of security.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Baronjutter posted:

Right but if those arms factories lost jobs they'd all vote fascist next election and things would be even worse. Sorry Yemen babies you gotta die for our middle class' false sense of security.

General Dynamics is in London, they're already wearing Klan hoods.

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

General Dynamics is in London, they're already wearing Klan hoods.

Everyone is a redneck but me

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
are you guys seroiusly consideing taking JOBS away for HARD WORKING blue collar workers in southern ontario? these people need JOBS so they can build their own SELF ESTEEM so they won't vote for KELLIE LEITCH

WAKE UP SHEEPLE

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

No, it's Kevin O'Leary they're going to vote for now, remember?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
IRREGARDLESS we need to make sure our blue collar white trash are sufficiently esteemed

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb

No, it's Kevin O'Leary they're going to vote for now, remember?

beyond the fact that it would be embarrassing to have kevin oleary as our pm, I honestly don't think he'd be any worse than harper+co

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender
O'Leary would follow his philosophy of not having the government do anything that one could find as a business in a telephone book.

Assuming anyone still has a copy of said book that is.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Ban the yellow pages: full communism now.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

You live in Wawa? Gadzooks.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

https://twitter.com/OmniDestiny/status/806713966772781056

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Is it just me or does Newt Gingrich have an uncanny resemblance to Liberal MP Marc Garneau?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Helsing posted:

Is it just me or does Newt Gingrich have an uncanny resemblance to Liberal MP Marc Garneau?

Have they ever been spotted in the same place at the same time? :tinfoil:

Chair In A Basket
Aug 6, 2005

I'm basically Jesus.

Nap Ghost
Both also share an unhealthy fascination with outer space.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Baronjutter posted:

Ban the yellow pages: full communism now.

Why ban when you can make irrelevant

Pinback
Jul 22, 2012

I've been having real awful dreams about giant apocalyptic machinery
just mowing us all down...

Houston, British Columbia. Proud home of the world's largest fly-fishing rod and absolutely gently caress-all else.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Pinback posted:

Houston, British Columbia. Proud home of the world's largest fly-fishing rod and absolutely gently caress-all else.

When there's nothing to do but fly fish, you put up the worlds largest fly-fishing rod.

Here's what vilna, alberta has.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Can't believe the Flin Flon guy hasn't been posted yet

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Does every little hamlet or small town in Canada build some giant ugly thing to compensate for something?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Furnaceface posted:

Does every little hamlet or small town in Canada build some giant ugly thing to compensate for something?

Yes.

You guys forgot Prince George's claim to fame!

It's Mr. PG.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
http://www.pof.com/personals/18281onlinedating.htm

lol

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

I do not hear you, I do not see you, I will not let you get into the Duggler's head with your bring-downs.

Didn't know it was frowned upon to call girls pretty

What should I tell you about myself that doesn't sound like pathetic resumé. I'm told I'm a nice person with flare ups of humor, I like romantic walks to the fridge for a cold soda pop, when at home I

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
in conclusion, gently caress the rurals

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

The Duggler posted:

Didn't know it was frowned upon to call girls pretty

What should I tell you about myself that doesn't sound like pathetic resumé. I'm told I'm a nice person with flare ups of humor, I like romantic walks to the fridge for a cold soda pop, when at home I

you like voting for the bad guys

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Duggler
Feb 20, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

in conclusion, gently caress the rurals

This is why Hilary lost

Because rural voters were sick of being called intolerant hicks

Now to write every intolerant hick talking point into law