Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I wasn't a huge fan of the Dr. Strange movie, but the last part where he deals with Dormammu was pretty good, and his sequences in Infinity War were better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
I'd honestly have to say Ant-Man. The character's powers always could lead to some fun sequences and the film delivered very well.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Is someone who uses Pym Particles supposed to be in charge of when they do/don't conserve their weight? Like part of the point of Ant-Man I thought was that he can punch you while ant size and it will feel like he punched you while still human size but that doesn't make sense if a flying ant was carrying him a second ago unless he chooses to turn on his proportionate strength only at the right moments. Same with carrying around a tank on a keychain. If you don't shunt that weight anywhere then you'd need Hulk to lift the keychain.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Lobok posted:

Is someone who uses Pym Particles supposed to be in charge of when they do/don't conserve their weight? Like part of the point of Ant-Man I thought was that he can punch you while ant size and it will feel like he punched you while still human size but that doesn't make sense if a flying ant was carrying him a second ago unless he chooses to turn on his proportionate strength only at the right moments. Same with carrying around a tank on a keychain. If you don't shunt that weight anywhere then you'd need Hulk to lift the keychain.

There's no rule, it's just lazily inconsistent.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Ant-Man's rule is "Will this be completely ridiculous?" and if the answer is "Yes" then it happens

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aphrodite posted:

It's not lazy, it's just something that doesn't actually matter because if it did the premise wouldn't work at all

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Aphrodite posted:

That's what I figured. Guess I'll just revert to head canon mode for moments like Hank shrinking an entire building down into luggage that he can easily lug behind him.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Unstable molecules, the Speedforce of the Marvel universe.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Lobok posted:

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Bruceski posted:

Unstable molecules, the Speedforce of the Marvel universe.

The only reason Kandor survived being shrunk by Pym Particles is that the city was built with a unique alloy adamantium-inertron alloy that could withstand intense vibration because of exposure to the Speedforce.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Aphrodite posted:

You're just jealous you don't know as much about Pym Particles as Hank, let alone Reed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paul Rudd is the shining star of the MCU. His goofy laugh when he grows is my absolute favorite part of CW and I'm so glad we get more of that in AM&tW.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Rhyno posted:

Paul Rudd is the shining star of the MCU. His goofy laugh when he grows is my absolute favorite part of CW and I'm so glad we get more of that in AM&tW.
Paul Rudd is always great

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Paul Rudd is always great

He's my spirit animal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J9pcnTjNd8

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Lobok posted:

You're doing a "How is it possible that Hulk is always wearing stretchy enough pants?" thing. Don't.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

You're doing a "How is it possible that Hulk is always wearing stretchy enough pants?" thing. Don't.

They did explain that one.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

Whenever the Hulk's or Pym Particle's extra mass isn't being used, it goes to a quantum dimension to be held in superposition by the combined angst of pedantic dweebs who can't enjoy a fantasy/comedy movie because it doesn't conform to their scientific expectations

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Aphrodite posted:

They did explain that one.

I was a little dissapointed that Hulk didn't complain about Tony Stark's tight pants in the final battle of Asgard. It seems like they set that up when Banner was complaining about it earlier in the film.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

SonicRulez posted:

Not really, because Hulk isn't swinging green dong everywhere for obvious, real world reasons. All I asked is if Ant-Man is supposed to be able to control what's going on with the size-weight inconsistencies because I don't remember the first Ant-Man movie well enough and I've never seen the Pym Particles in action much in the comics I've read. If it's not explained, then ok. It's not a big deal and I go back to intensely worrying about how Spider-Man's mask is always seamless with the rest of his costume.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Hulk's pants stretch because the plot needs them to. Ant-Man can ride ants and also shrink and throw a truck because the plot needs him to. Like the very second you start trying to bring real-world science into it, you've made a mistake. As long as it's internally consistent (which it is) I don't see what the problem is. Or how it's lazy in any way.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2142255092456811&set=a.436848296330841.121388.100000170228824&type=3&theater

What happened to Wonder Woman 2 through 83??

zoux posted:

Which movies, from any studio, do you think have the most creative or impressive use of powers? One thing that I think the First Class movies do very well is powers. The dystopia-future stuff in DoFP are as good as I've seen, I think.
One that doesn't get brought up a lot, from my impressions, is the Iron Man 3 airplane rescue sequence. Great cinematography, clever solution to a seemingly-impossible situation, and a superhero saving people superheroically.

I know people hate X-Men: Apocalypse, but the final fights between the various factions had some pretty good display of different powers versus other powers. And obvs, Quicksilver.

Malekith vs Thor in the Dark World had really clever use of portals, years before Doctor Strange happened.

Electro was genuinely cool in Amazing Spider-Man 2.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The problem it isn't internally consistent. Over moment he'll jump down on a tile while tiny and it will crack from his weight, or land on a car and the roof completely buckles, but the next moment he'll stand on some goon's shoulder and the goon doesn't even feel him.

The film says and shows a bunch of times shrunk objects have all their weight, but then a bunch of other times shows that they don't.

So it's completely inconsistent about, not how his power works, but what it does. Does it change his mass or not?

If they had just said "Even though you're small you still possess all your regular strength" instead of talking about and demonstrating mass, things would make sense.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wonder Woman 2-68 and 70-83 I don't give a gently caress about but I'm mad they skipped Wonder Woman 69

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

SonicRulez posted:

Like the very second you start trying to bring real-world science into it, you've made a mistake.

Right, and this time the movie's script did that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ha! Some fans put together a thing where they said they'd like to see MCU Hawkeye portrayed as deaf and the chuds are screaming about SJWs again and yet another useless push for diversity and there's like one person commenting like "um, comic book Hawkeye is deaf" and they're doing their damned best to ignore this fact.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He's a reverse Daredevil?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

He gets super science hearing aids.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Unacceptable.

I want, instead, a remake of See No Evil/Hear No Evil with Hawkeye and Daredevil. And put it in a train cause I always conflate that film with Silver Streak anyway

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Officially, post Heroes Reborn his deafness was reversed because according to a Marvel handbook Franklin didn't know he was deaf. It was during Fractions run that he was once again rendered deaf but it's kind of ignored at this point.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
Diana is getting Devil May Cry'd to keep her away from BvS and Justice League. That's kinda hilarious. Unnecessary, but hilarious.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I always thought it was weird that Clint is deaf but when there is a story in the near future they make him blind or with near blindness. Like, give the guy a break.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

His history with deafness is kind of weird. He wasn't born deaf, but he's extremely unlucky so a bunch of poo poo keeps blowing up next to his ears and making him deaf. It happened like 3 times!

Chickenwalker
Apr 21, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Lurdiak posted:

His history with deafness is kind of weird. He wasn't born deaf, but he's extremely unlucky so a bunch of poo poo keeps blowing up next to his ears and making him deaf. It happened like 3 times!

I hate to do this but...*mawp*

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Is this gonna be an Orwell reference or did something interesting happen in the real 1984?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Fangz posted:

Is this gonna be an Orwell reference or did something interesting happen in the real 1984?

Gremlins and Ghostbusters came out, and I was born, so it was a pretty major year.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Fangz posted:

It's when Themyscira finally got its first Wendy's.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Diana with big 80s hair is all I want out of this movie for it to be a success

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Deadpool 2 is the best Terminator movie since T2.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Deadpool 2 is the best Terminator movie since T2.

Not a high bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Officially, post Heroes Reborn his deafness was reversed because according to a Marvel handbook Franklin didn't know he was deaf. It was during Fractions run that he was once again rendered deaf but it's kind of ignored at this point.

I think it's still brought up every now and then. But they don't have him have to replace his hearing aids every issue, so that's good. He's got a disability but it doesn't define him, it's just part of his character.

• Locked thread