Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

yeah I eat rear end posted:

The "living in a simulation" thing always struck me as both nonsensical and arrogant (if you assume other humans designed it, or that we'll ever get to the point where we can). Even if we ever develop the technology to run such a complex simulation, I'd like to think we'd be smart enough to not run it like this. What would anyone hope to learn by simulating irrelevant details like me wasting my weekend watching lovely movies, or making a cup of coffee, or getting junk mail? If you really wanted to simulate human development/civilization, it seems far more likely they'd use approximations/fudge factors to avoid having to waste computation time on stuff that doesn't matter and/or would be too difficult, if not impossible, to represent mathematically.

Maybe computation is cheaper in their universe than in our simulated one. Maybe they did dumb down the simulation and this is the result. You may as well be a character in Dwarf Fortress wondering why it’s necessary for cats to die of alcohol poisoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Cost doesn't change the fact that simulations are generally run to learn something specific. You don't just throw literally everything you know into it and set it running and see what happens. Generally the more complex a simulation is, the more difficult it is to draw a definitive scientific conclusion from it.

I think the whole idea of simulation theory arose from people who don't want to take responsibility for any of their thoughts or actions, and want to coast through life thinking they're a main character in someone's video game. If that is the case, the guy playing me sucks and should uninstall.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I think the whole idea of simulation theory arose from people who don't want to take responsibility for any of their thoughts or actions, and want to coast through life thinking they're a main character in someone's video game. If that is the case, the guy playing me sucks and should uninstall.

same

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

, the guy playing me sucks and should uninstall.

People who read my posts agree!

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Like whether or not there's free will, whether we live in a simulation or not is a question for stoned people to ask each other. It doesn't really matter either way

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

The "living in a simulation" thing always struck me as both nonsensical and arrogant (if you assume other humans designed it, or that we'll ever get to the point where we can). Even if we ever develop the technology to run such a complex simulation, I'd like to think we'd be smart enough to not run it like this. What would anyone hope to learn by simulating irrelevant details like me wasting my weekend watching lovely movies, or making a cup of coffee, or getting junk mail? If you really wanted to simulate human development/civilization, it seems far more likely they'd use approximations/fudge factors to avoid having to waste computation time on stuff that doesn't matter and/or would be too difficult, if not impossible, to represent mathematically.

I never thought it was humans running the simulation, but rather some unimaginable alien entity. In fact it's likely that the universe has already gone through heat death and all that is left is quantum computers floating in endless nothing. Where do they get their juice? I dunno ask a scientist or something.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

quote:

If that is the case, the guy playing me sucks and should uninstall.

I enjoy when the guy playing me eats rear end.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Israel is an apartheid state and is doing genocide right now, and Biden is complicit in this murder.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

doverhog posted:

Israel is an apartheid state and is doing genocide right now, and Biden is complicit in this murder.

This is in fact an increasingly popular opinion!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
It's odd that Israel uses "Does Israel have a right to exist?" as a gotcha question against their critics when Israel's own actions present a pretty strong argument that it doesn't.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Pickles should be served on the side by default, never in the sandwich, because their flavor is so overwhelming that you can’t make the rest of the sandwich not taste like pickles

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

doverhog posted:

correct

thetoughestbean posted:

Pickles should be served on the side by default, never in the sandwich, because their flavor is so overwhelming that you can’t make the rest of the sandwich not taste like pickles

wrongo

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

thetoughestbean posted:

I'd rather they were just not served unless specifically requested.

same thing with those little peppers from papa johns. I didn't ask for these get it out.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

thetoughestbean posted:

They're at their best when they come on the sandwich and then removed before eating. Leave some of that juice but without the cumbersome pickle itself.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I wish we more regularly pickled things that weren’t cucumbers in American cuisine. I loved pickled everything except cucumbers which are just about the only food I’ve found that I simply hate.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Captain Monkey posted:

I wish we more regularly pickled things that weren’t cucumbers in American cuisine. I loved pickled everything except cucumbers which are just about the only food I’ve found that I simply hate.

There's a lot of sauerkraut at least. Also a shitton of jalapeños but those are kind of their own thing rather than being considered a form of pickling.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
We cannot conceive of ourselves outside the contexts which we exist within. This is unfortunate and I wish we were better able to grasp the idea of ourselves outside of our contexts.

Less pickles in general is good.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

There's a lot of sauerkraut at least. Also a shitton of jalapeños but those are kind of their own thing rather than being considered a form of pickling.

Yeah. I make pickled vegetables (it’s super easy) and also buy sauerkraut and like giardiniera (sp?) Or hot peppers and it’s all good. I just wish more places had like pickled onions instead of cucumbers for their vinegar hit on burgers and sandwiches.

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

yeah but you may notice that they didn't bother putting things in like needing to dust, or how wearing a hat messes up your hair. Because it would be a waste of time to and nobody cares about it.

I'm extremely confidant that will be in a future version of the sims if we as a species last that long.

That or just the idea of having some greater meaning even if it's almost meaningless, it'd still be more than nothing.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I enjoy simulation theory because then I can cast spells that work without having to explain it through physics etc.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Pickles are dank as hell, nothing like cleaning a a couple dozen pounds of the lads in your grandma's bathtub. All the while you know there's gonna be some good rear end pickle waiting for you in a couple weeks

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Has anyone heard from Shibawanko lately? He hasn’t posted in here forever.

PHUO: I kind of miss that aggravating goon.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Haven't seen them post in a minute. Hopefully he didn't get too mad at people calling him a nazi

I still want to understand what the gently caress the scandanaviam style of posting is

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Shibawanako and Tiggum are the most delightful posters on this dead website

I also miss spit on my clit but I wouldn't call them delightful

e: congrats on the new star ugly in the morning please feel free to dole out comedy sixers in whatever thread you ik now and try not to go down in a blaze of insanity. Shiba should be ik of this thread tbqh

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 09:28 on May 16, 2021

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Has anyone heard from Shibawanko lately? He hasn’t posted in here forever.

PHUO: I kind of miss that aggravating goon.

Absent for three weeks, hopefully he's alright and just doing his own thing offline.
You can always send a PM which will in turn email him.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
PHUO: Apples and oranges can be compared with each other.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Shibawanako and Tiggum are the most delightful posters on this dead website

I also miss spit on my clit but I wouldn't call them delightful

e: congrats on the new star ugly in the morning please feel free to dole out comedy sixers in whatever thread you ik now and try not to go down in a blaze of insanity. Shiba should be ik of this thread tbqh

Thanks! It’s for all of PYF. I’ve mostly been changing thread titles and telling people to knock off slapfights. Only done one comedy sixer after someone accused me of being Moby, though I’m hoping some kind of fun chance for a bunch of them rolls around.

E:PMed shiba, I’m hoping he’s just busy with normal stuff and nothing’s wrong. :ohdear:

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I just adjusted this simulation's trajectory towards the Great Pickle Singularity.

Enjoy the Conjunction of the Gherkins, you pickle-shy weenies.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Platystemon posted:

PHUO: Apples and oranges can be compared with each other.

Apples would be better if they had those little juice sacks instead of their current way of containing juice.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Apples would be better if they had those little juice sacks instead of their current way of containing juice.

‘Vesicles’, and :agreed:

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Gaius Marius posted:

I still want to understand what the gently caress the scandanaviam style of posting is

It's when you move the the whitest part of the whitest nation on earth and spend your days posting about how superior your country and culture is

PHUO: I've thought a lot about it and I hate to say this but there is no situation in which ketchup performs better than sambal. Fries, burgers, hot dogs, even the noble chicken nugget - all of these are better served by a chili paste than tomato syrup

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Chili ketchup,

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Burgers that are red on the inside, or are thick, or include a lot of condiments and toppings are the least good kind of burger. Extremely flat burgers that are charred, browned on the inside, and covered with a slice of american cheese and fried onions are the best kind of burger. It is best eaten while drinking a Hamm's, or possibly a Pacifico.

I guess you could put sambal on it that would be pretty good too

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Hank Hill writes down another person in the big book of burger crimes.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

Badactura posted:

Burgers that are red on the inside, or are thick, or include a lot of condiments and toppings are the least good kind of burger. Extremely flat burgers that are charred, browned on the inside, and covered with a slice of american cheese and fried onions are the best kind of burger. It is best eaten while drinking a Hamm's, or possibly a Pacifico.

I guess you could put sambal on it that would be pretty good too

any burger that has forgotten that the entire point of ground meat is to make usable cheap and lovely cuts of meat is a bad burger.

Like steak burgers. Absolutely gently caress off.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Lol if you aren't importing Kobe beef to hand ground so you can make overcooked smashburgers

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
The main quality of a good burger is that it actually fits inside your mouth in one comfortable bite. This is especially true for beard havers.

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 01:38 on May 17, 2021

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

The main quality of a good burger is that it actually fits inside your mouth in one comfortable bite. This is especially true for beard havers.

I agree with you on the first part but society is under no obligation to make your life easier if you have chosen to grow a beard.

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

Hank Hill writes down another person in the big book of burger crimes.

I am ok with outraging any real or fictional Texans, as I do not respect Texas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

also that things don't come squirting out the back when you take the first bite. The toppings that touch the actual burger need to have some friction otherwise eating the burger is a miserable experience of picking stuff up off the plate with your fingers and putting it back in.