Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Yusuke is loving hilarious, he's autistic to the extreme. I like the part where he awkwardly blurts out to two random girls in yukatas that they are shaming their womanhood :laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmMispgpUs0

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Persona 3 & 4 English VA were stellar, unless they really dropped the ball I'll most likely play 5 in english too when I buy it.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Samuringa posted:

Persona 3 & 4 English VA were stellar, unless they really dropped the ball I'll most likely play 5 in english too when I buy it.

some of the dialog is a little stilted early on but the VAs in general do a great job with what they're working for

the only major english VA I didn't love is haru, the helium voice was a little too strong

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Jimbot posted:

I came off of Yakuza before Persona 5 and the translation is night and day. Yakuza was so incredibly good. Persona's was extremely utilitarian that it almost felt if they just ran it through Google translations and just fixed up the sentence structure a little.

The Yakuza translations are literally better written than 99% of western games I've played. The localisation team on those is incredible

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

It would just feel weird to have someone speaking the dialogue in english that I'm also simultaneously reading in english, like there's a redundancy in that kind of thing that doesn't mesh well.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

It would just feel weird to have someone speaking the dialogue in english that I'm also simultaneously reading in english, like there's a redundancy in that kind of thing that doesn't mesh well.
Is that different than native English language games somehow?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish Yakuza 0 had an English track, the cutscenes are great but if you look down at your phone for a second you're hosed. (I mean assuming you don't speak Japanese.)

I hear the one for the PS2 one was actually good.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Quantum of Phallus posted:

I wish Yakuza 0 had an English track, the cutscenes are great but if you look down at your phone for a second you're hosed. (I mean assuming you don't speak Japanese.)

I hear the one for the PS2 one was actually good.

it had Mark Hamill

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Yakuza 0 probably only got a US release because Sega figured they could get away with reusing Japanese voiceovers, grizzled dudes shouting gruff Japanese at each other is like half the reason I loved it, and wtf are you doing looking at your phone during a Y0 cutscene.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The Yakuza 2 remake is gonna probably be the best Yakuza game so far by a mile. Y6 was seriously short on side content compared to the others but had a vastly improved combat system, while Y2 is completely full of crazy things to do. Both of those strengths together is gonna be nuts.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the first yakuza game had an all-star english va cast and they spent a ton of money on it. then it bombed in the west and they never did that again

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
Speaking of localizations. NIS America is going to redo pretty much everything with Ys 8 and has high visibility with the company's president:

http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update

acksplode
May 17, 2004

A good compromise would have been to reuse Japanese VA's for every character except Shimano, who's voiced by Michael Madsen in English again.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

This is a good sentence from my cool foxy husbando

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

8-bit Miniboss posted:

Speaking of localizations. NIS America is going to redo pretty much everything with Ys 8 and has high visibility with the company's president:

http://nisamerica.com/blog/ys-viii-lacrimosa-dana-localization-update

they better keep Archaeozoic Big Hole as a place name

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Samurai Sanders posted:

Is that different than native English language games somehow?

Native english games just have voice acting? They don't write everything out in text bubbles that the characters intermittently speak over as you're reading.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The Yakuza translations are literally better written than 99% of western games I've played. The localisation team on those is incredible

Yep!

Sega 1st party probably has way better access to top localization than their atlas colleagues, sega is keen on making a real play for a worldwide yakuza audience and going all out on these games, persona would sell if it had an all dolphin va cast. Lotsa reasons

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

Native english games just have voice acting? They don't write everything out in text bubbles that the characters intermittently speak over as you're reading.
Oh, I was thinking subtitles during cutcenes or whatever but yeah, Japanese games have a tradition of text plus voice for basically everything. I'd gotten so used to it I didn't even think of it.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
It's worth noting that up until 0, the Yakuza translations were done by a third party company. They still did 0, but it had an editing pass by Atlus and Kiwami was translated by Atlus alone.

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
How long does the Dualshock 4 need to be plugged in to my computer to wake up?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
So... Last of Us 2 and that new Sucker Punch samurai game. :stare:

Goddamn, PS4 is finally hitting its stride.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Kraps posted:

How long does the Dualshock 4 need to be plugged in to my computer to wake up?

Depends what online content it's watching.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fuzz posted:

So... Last of Us 2 and that new Sucker Punch samurai game. :stare:

Goddamn, PS4 is finally hitting its stride.

They should announce more release dates tho

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

Real hurthling! posted:

They should announce more release dates tho

Banking on PSX for that, myself.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

exploded mummy posted:

it had Mark Hamill
Yep https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=778VDaSLeX4

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
oh nice the 40 dollar ps plus deal is live again for gamestop lets check it out

The credit card billing information you entered does not match the information on file at your financial institution. Prior to placing a new order, please verify your billing information with your financial institution to ensure all information is accurate and up to date. [i have never seen any website give this warning]

no matter what i tweak, with two different credit card. using paypal or direct input.

now i'm reminded why i havent bought anything at gamestop for about 6 years

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Snak posted:

The mongol is voiced by Patrick Gallagher, who is half Chinese. The model is obviously based on his face as well, but since he is half-Irish, they have made accentuated his Asian features a bit.

But for real, that's what he looks like. I recognized him right away.

Edit: I mean, yeah he has no accent because he's Canadian.

Well, I stand corrected. I watched the Japanese trailer first so I guess it just stood out more.

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Oh my god, DOOM is so loving good.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fix posted:

The map design gave me feelings that I thought were dead.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fix posted:

So good

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

gamers be like: why can you play as a black woman in COD WW2? SJWs don't understand history! *summons robot army*

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I wish I could summon a robot army to destroy anyone who calls themselves a "gamer"

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Yesterday I was on a bus listening to two college kids talk about XBonx specs and thought, "man are you even listening to yourselves? This is just embarrassing." Please keep all video game opinions to shitposts on internet forums where nobody can hear your voice, thank you and god bless.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

Yesterday I was on a bus listening to two college kids talk about XBonx specs and thought, "man are you even listening to yourselves? This is just embarrassing." Please keep all video game opinions to shitposts on internet forums where nobody can hear your voice, thank you and god bless.

yeah if you enjoy something without at least three layers of ironic self contempt between you and it you should probably just die

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gamer's a dumb term but it'll be nice when we reach a point where nobody feels ashamed to admit they like playing video games

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I talk about games with the guy I know at work who plays games.

He has a Switch but hasn't bought Mario yet :psyduck:

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

yeah if you enjoy something without at least three layers of ironic self contempt between you and it you should probably just die

This is how I got through Xenosaga.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

exquisite tea posted:

I'm the goon creeping on children on public transport.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

We need more release dates on some of these announced games. I'm fairly certain the next PS4 games I'm interested in are Digimon Cyber Slueth 2 and the Secret of Mana remake. Also give me that Sucker Punch Samurai game.

Maybe PSX will drop an "OUT NOW" game.