Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

When I finish the music I’ve been working on and get the motivation/desire to start really sharing my stuff online my “band” interest is finding collaboration online. I don’t care about touring plans or anything. I guess that’s weird to a lot of people but yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Kilometers Davis posted:

Cheers to all of our one man black metal bands.

Woah there guy, one man blues band here.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Harton posted:

Yeah this is where I’m slowly getting too as well. At 34 it seems like all I can find are retired guys in their 60’s that actually wanna play. Everyone around my age is done playing for a while it seems.

There's usually a rough patch between 30 and maybe 40 where most players have either matured out of the band phase due to kids/job/etc, or are serious musicians already in working groups and therefore unlikely to be wanting to join in with your garage jam. It starts picking up again around the time of the midlife crisis which is why dad bands are a thing.

There's no easy path to getting a functional band together at any age though. Think about how much dating sucks, and then realise you've got to get twice as many people into this particular relationship without it spontaneously combusting...

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Yeah I faded out for 4 years until I realized being a manager and spending all my waking hours at work was not healthy for myself mentally. Now I just miss getting applause at the end of a song. Or someone going “wooo” when I start digging in on some crazy lead that I’m barely holding myself together for. poo poo makes me feel like a goddamn maniac.

I setup a stage on my deck for my daughters birthday in June, we basically ran it like an open mic cause there were a decent amount of musicians at the party. Just hearing the party stop what they were doing and clap after I got done singing a song was enough to get me into a mild obsession with getting back out and playing again. I would be happy playing a dinner show at a brewery now, it doesn’t have to be the all night show where I’m closing down the bar at 4 am playing for the younger crowds. That would actually be a bit problematic I’m sure, I got a 2 year old and a wife now.

There is just a feeling of greatness that you get when you see someone dancing, singing, or even just tapping their foot to the groove your putting out. I can feel like a hero for months after playing a show where I got a good reception. gently caress an open mic is enough to have me walking on air for a few weeks.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Kilometers Davis posted:

I’m an anxiety filled weirdo on the spectrum and don’t get much from being social in the first place so yeah it was destiny for me to not have a real live band.

guitar thread e/n content currently maxed out

Same. Thank God modern technology makes being a one-man band so much easier than it used to be.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Why not jam with old dudes or college kids though? Doesn't have to be other 36 year olds.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Okay, question. When I hear a melody or play one back in my head I have awful issues figuring out the way the notes rise and fall. It drives me crazy not being able to picture where the notes fall on a guitar or piano (I don’t play the latter as much but it’s easier to visualize a flowing melody on keys imo). This just means I need to buckle down on interval training, yeah? If so, any recommended apps I could get to work on this every now and then throughout the day? I’ve tried a few but I never cared for them for long.

The problem legitimately drives me crazy sometimes because I have this thing about trying to do it in my head when I get an ear worm. Not being able to is like having a itch in my bones that I can never reach to scratch.

Anime Reference posted:

Same. Thank God modern technology makes being a one-man band so much easier than it used to be.

Someday we should collab over the internet :)

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Since we're on the discussion of one person bands, once I get my vocals sorted I'm recording my album. I'm doing everything by myself (bar mastering I guess) including using MIDI drums.

What's the best way to see if there's a drummer out there willing to lay down some unique grooves (aka not stock loops) on an E-drum kit that I can use in my project?

Like literally asking how the gently caress I even do this haha. I would expect someone to ask for pay, so what's like the going rate? Honestly it's just for my first release as I want to use it to attract actual in person players if I can.

Worst case I'll use the loops and self-programmed MIDI, I'd just be interested if on the off chance people do this sort of collab over the net. I'm guessing royalties (laughing at the thought of actually making money tho) would make it difficult, hence upfront payments.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

landgrabber posted:

it's not actual physics, i think it's kind of a psychoacoustic thing - i read it in a music production book, when you hear music at a higher volume, both bass and treble are more prominent, whereas at a lower volume they take a back seat to the mids. maybe that's what you're experiencing.

it was in the context of how songs end up being accidentally made super loud in the mixing process - once you push those faders up, it's no fun bringing them back down

For those curious: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal-loudness_contour

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

syntaxfunction posted:

Since we're on the discussion of one person bands, once I get my vocals sorted I'm recording my album. I'm doing everything by myself (bar mastering I guess) including using MIDI drums.

What's the best way to see if there's a drummer out there willing to lay down some unique grooves (aka not stock loops) on an E-drum kit that I can use in my project?

Like literally asking how the gently caress I even do this haha. I would expect someone to ask for pay, so what's like the going rate? Honestly it's just for my first release as I want to use it to attract actual in person players if I can.

Worst case I'll use the loops and self-programmed MIDI, I'd just be interested if on the off chance people do this sort of collab over the net. I'm guessing royalties (laughing at the thought of actually making money tho) would make it difficult, hence upfront payments.

i don't have any drum tracks to my name but i can bang one out and if you like what you hear i'd be open to doing more

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?
I played in mostly lovely cover bands in highschool and college, but I'm gonna hop on the "I'm old and it's hard to find people to play with" train. Or I mean, it wouldn't be hard if I wanted to play metalcore or crust-punk poo poo, since that seems to be what everyone on craigslist wants here. And I'm not even 30 yet so I'm not *that* old, but the kind of music I really want to play (Gothenburg-ish melodeath) is really out of style with the young angry metal kids.

Maybe I should make a "LF Melodeath Dads 4 Jammin'" craigslist post and see what happens. (Not a dad but my guess is that most people who would be into that are old enough to be.)

I *knew* there was some reason why things actually sounded better louder. Thanks for the link, kind of interesting.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Hellblazer187 posted:

Why not jam with old dudes or college kids though? Doesn't have to be other 36 year olds.

Specifically for the college kids one, they tend to be way too up their own rear end about it. I haven't looked in a while (5+ years), but the last time I was really digging around on Craigslist and whatnot, all the ones that weren't cover bands had poo poo like "SERIOUS CAREER MUSICIANS ONLY" and "IF YOU CAN'T REHEARSE 7 DAYS A WEEK DON'T BOTHER REPLYING" and "IF YOU'RE NOT THE NEXT MALMSTEEN KILL YOURSELF". There's no room for just "hey let's get together on weekends and do this for fun" cause they all think they're gonna be the next world-class act, and act like they've already made it.

I've never played with other people (well, I was in wind band as a kid, but that's different.) My old friend group right after high school had a couple guys who played, but the one who I could actually stand to be around was busy with work all the time and eventually moved away.

The other one barely ever dragged his bass out, but whenever he listened to me play he'd be hyper-critical of everything, from my technical ability to my musical choices to how i held my body while I was playing ("Why are you making that goofy face? Why are you standing up straight instead of hunching over like the death metal guys? Why don't you hang your guitar down by your knees?"). He was the type to go "Hmm, your rhythm is solid and you've mostly got the solo nailed down, but: you're tuned in E standard instead of Eb, you missed a couple notes halfway through, and you're playing at 119 bpm instead of 120, so you're actually not playing the right song." Interestingly he never stepped up when I offered to hand my guitar over and let him show me how it's done.

Kinda turned me off of seeking out other musicians for good. I know that's not anywhere near universal, but it's the kinda thing that sticks with you, ya know?

Gnumonic
Dec 11, 2005

Maybe you thought I was the Packard Goose?

Yeah I've run into this a lot when trying to find people to jam with, especially if they're younger. I'm just not serious enough to be in that kind of band. Honestly even if a miracle happened and I joined a band and we got big, I'd probably quit, the prospect of touring sounds legitimately awful now that I'm not a teenager.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

landgrabber posted:

i don't have any drum tracks to my name but i can bang one out and if you like what you hear i'd be open to doing more

gently caress yeah man, hit me up on email so I don't poo poo up the thread! Just my username at gmail. Fair warning, it's amateur loving poo poo :P

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Gnumonic posted:

Yeah I've run into this a lot when trying to find people to jam with, especially if they're younger. I'm just not serious enough to be in that kind of band. Honestly even if a miracle happened and I joined a band and we got big, I'd probably quit, the prospect of touring sounds legitimately awful now that I'm not a teenager.

Yeah touring is one of those things that I never actually thought about clearly. Like gently caress that poo poo, I love my house. I’d be happy touring the local dive bars getting some cash and free draft beer.

There is just a feeling you get with actual people jamming loudly that you just can’t replicate fully. Like sex vs masturbation.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Yeah that does sound terrible re: the college kids. Although I'm sure there are some non terrible ones I understand how kids trend that way. So what about olds? All of my jamming experience so far is with people older than me.

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

Hellblazer187 posted:

So what about olds?

We suck too.

Just had the weirdest experience. Wound up talking to a guy on Reddit who is making his own post-punk stuff. Song sounds great, guy sounds serious but with a good sense of humor, did all the tracks on it, turns out to be in high school. Think he wasn't looking for anyone in his 50s. Too bad, otherwise we clicked really well. At least I know there should be a good new album in the genre at some point. Guitar solo was really nice.

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Enourmo posted:

Specifically for the college kids one, they tend to be way too up their own rear end about it. I haven't looked in a while (5+ years), but the last time I was really digging around on Craigslist and whatnot, all the ones that weren't cover bands had poo poo like "SERIOUS CAREER MUSICIANS ONLY" and "IF YOU CAN'T REHEARSE 7 DAYS A WEEK DON'T BOTHER REPLYING" and "IF YOU'RE NOT THE NEXT MALMSTEEN KILL YOURSELF". There's no room for just "hey let's get together on weekends and do this for fun" cause they all think they're gonna be the next world-class act, and act like they've already made it.

I've never played with other people (well, I was in wind band as a kid, but that's different.) My old friend group right after high school had a couple guys who played, but the one who I could actually stand to be around was busy with work all the time and eventually moved away.

The other one barely ever dragged his bass out, but whenever he listened to me play he'd be hyper-critical of everything, from my technical ability to my musical choices to how i held my body while I was playing ("Why are you making that goofy face? Why are you standing up straight instead of hunching over like the death metal guys? Why don't you hang your guitar down by your knees?"). He was the type to go "Hmm, your rhythm is solid and you've mostly got the solo nailed down, but: you're tuned in E standard instead of Eb, you missed a couple notes halfway through, and you're playing at 119 bpm instead of 120, so you're actually not playing the right song." Interestingly he never stepped up when I offered to hand my guitar over and let him show me how it's done.

Kinda turned me off of seeking out other musicians for good. I know that's not anywhere near universal, but it's the kinda thing that sticks with you, ya know?

i hope the e standard/eb thing isn't actually a real example bc if i was trying to get someone to play that wasn't tuned correctly and acted like i was an idiot for wanting them to be on the same page i would have a loving stroke

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

landgrabber posted:

i hope the e standard/eb thing isn't actually a real example bc if i was trying to get someone to play that wasn't tuned correctly and acted like i was an idiot for wanting them to be on the same page i would have a loving stroke

Keep in mind this was not in a band setting where I was the odd one out. It was "hey I've been learning this song, the guitar's tuned higher but lemme bust it out real quick".

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

baka kaba posted:

It's more that (the majority of) your expression is done with the picking hand, that's what actually produces the notes - rhythm and dynamics all under the hand you have more control with. The fretting hand mostly needs to just get the fingers down in time, before the picking happens

There's a few exceptions to that where you need more control (slurs, controlled bends, fast picking where there's no window for loose timing with your fretting) but generally your fretting hand has a simpler job compared to what the other hand is doing.

As far as I'm aware that goes for most instruments too? They're usually meant for right-handed players and put all the "busy" stuff under that hand - like how the higher melody notes are on the right of a piano, the accompaniment is done with the other hand. But you can learn the other way around, and lots of talented musicians do play the "wrong" way

What you're describing is more a lack of basic strength and coordination for the specific, weird things guitar requires your hands to do. You'll get used to it!

Hopefully I’m one of those guys that do ok despite being lefty.

Any tips on right hand skill in general? I’ve noticed most of my effort has gone into fretting and strumming was an afterthought so far.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Guitar playing requires an extremely high amount of learned dexterity and coordination from both hands. In my mind guitar-handedness is like one hand gets to start 10 feet ahead of the other on a thousand mile journey.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

So I took advice and sent a message to literally every 'want to start a band' or 'need a guitarist for <any reason>' advert on gumtree (UK craigslist) within 10mi, around a dozen. Not a single reply other than a guy who text messaged me with 'what up' and then went radio silent.

Fierce Brosnan
Feb 16, 2010

I have seen into the future
Everyone is slightly older
Give https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/ a try as well. It might depend on your location, but where I am it's a lot busier than Gumtree.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I managed to get myself into a band of other fat 30 somethings who play metal when I saw on Facebook they were looking for a second guitarist. It's quite nice joining an existing framework rather than trying to assemble randoms and spend the four hours going 'Errrr can you play this?' 'No, do you know this?'. Don't know how many wasted afternoons I've had since moving to Plymouth four years ago that were basically that.

What I found most astounding was I was the first person they'd had in who had asked for mp3s beforehand and had learned any of their songs. If you're auditioning for something then surely at least learn one of the songs?

As for places to find other musicians, Facebook has been the main one for me as it's a small city. Join My Band and Gumtree down here tend to lump everything into one place, I'm not driving nearly an hour up to Exeter or Torquay to find out its timewasters or kids.

If nothing else it may be worth going to a couple of local gigs if you can, most people in bands (especially drummers) are always keen to get other projects on the go. It was actually meeting one of these drummers for a jam who said it was worth me following up on the Facebook post mentioned at the top of this ramble, as he was in a different band with the bassist. Local scenes are incestuous, make the most of it if you can. It's taken me years but keep at it.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

Southern Heel posted:

So I took advice and sent a message to literally every 'want to start a band' or 'need a guitarist for <any reason>' advert on gumtree (UK craigslist) within 10mi, around a dozen. Not a single reply other than a guy who text messaged me with 'what up' and then went radio silent.

This is the standard for Craigslist interaction.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Fierce Brosnan posted:

Give https://www.joinmyband.co.uk/ a try as well. It might depend on your location, but where I am it's a lot busier than Gumtree.

Thanks, posted and ad - hopefully some bites.

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE

NonzeroCircle posted:

If nothing else it may be worth going to a couple of local gigs if you can, most people in bands (especially drummers) are always keen to get other projects on the go. It was actually meeting one of these drummers for a jam who said it was worth me following up on the Facebook post mentioned at the top of this ramble, as he was in a different band with the bassist. Local scenes are incestuous, make the most of it if you can. It's taken me years but keep at it.

This is the answer. If there is a local scene for the kind of music you want to play, get involved in that. Go to shows, talk to people, make friends. Band people always want to make more bands or need a new member. All the people I've played music with (and really most of my social life at this point) are people I've met going to local shows. It can be hard to break into if you don't know anyone at first, but keep at it.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

skooma512 posted:

Hopefully I’m one of those guys that do ok despite being lefty.

Any tips on right hand skill in general? I’ve noticed most of my effort has gone into fretting and strumming was an afterthought so far.

(USE A METRONOME! get one for your phone if you want. You need a solid rhythmic cue as a guide and to monitor your form)

You should be learning strumming patterns - the basic idea is your arm constantly moves up and down with the beat, and you let your pick/fingers contact the strings whenever you need a strum. So just start with down down down down until that's solid and comfortable, then add in the upstrokes for D U D U D U D U. You just want to make sure they're solid, your timing is good, and everything sounds and feels even. Then you can move onto more interesting patterns, which are basically just skipping strums (but your arm still moves, forever moving)

For picking you need to learn alternate picking from the start - picking down then up then down... there are slightly more efficient variations where you can break that pattern, but you need to have a solid grasp on it, just like with strumming. Just play an open string, D U D U D U over and over, making sure to keep time and checking that your upstrokes are as accurate and even as your downstrokes (they won't be at first). Once you're cool with that, it's a good idea to start practicing string skipping - play something like
E A E D E G E B E e
where you hit the low E, then the A string, then the low E, then the D string (skipping over the A), E then G (skipping over the A and D) until you work your way out to the 1st string. Try it and you'll see what's happening. Then you can come back down, and then start on the A string instead, using that as your home string and skipping to the others, and so on! Alt picking all the way, metronoming hard

These are focused right hand techniques, and you can do them on the couch just to build a bit of muscle memory if you want, but most of the time you should be practicing with both hands. Do the strumming, but also fret and switch chords. Do picking exercises but run through a scale while you're doing it. You need to work on your hands being in coordination, so you don't generally work on one in isolation. Ultimately practice is about doing the things you need to be able to do when you're actually playing for real

If you haven't seen Justin Guitar I'd highly recommend it - it's a guitar course that's structured like an actual set of lessons developing your technique from scratch, useful pointers and exercises and all that. He'll give you some stuff to practice that'll get your hands working together!

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

The GAS got me fellas, it got me bad:

Tokai SG60

I actually feel like this guitar is a bit too cool for me to play it. How do you deal?

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Pondex posted:

I actually feel like this guitar is a bit too cool for me to play it. How do you deal?
I usually just give it to the first person who responds to my post. Glad I could help. PM me for address.

Pondex
Jul 8, 2014

magnificent7 posted:

I usually just give it to the first person who responds to my post. Glad I could help. PM me for address.

Gonna need at least two character-refs. attesting your coolness there bud.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

Southern Heel posted:

Realtalk, how? I am not a socially awkward cave dweller, but I live in deepest suburbia and work 6am-7pm weekdays, half of whose evenings I have to go home to take care of my dog. I comute 3hrs per day already, and my play time is limited to 1.5-2hrs maximum at a stretch, 4-5 times per week.

I'm sure it makes sense, but how much of this is framed as someone who is a college/university student, or already frequents rock bars and clubs?

I guess I fall into the 'already frequents' category. Also i became good friends with someone who runs sound all over town. I will help him out lugging poo poo and setting up mics whenever I feel like it and talk to all types of musicians in the process. Between my line of work that still allows me to play and people I've met along the way I am lucky. But even realizing that I can't not tell other guitarists to find some way to get out once a month or so in front of a crowd of any size. So what you don't necessarily like blues? go to an open jam somewhere and play a solo for the bartender and a handful of drunks...

I do basically play country rock though, psychedelic at my heaviest, and was trained in the style of Robbie Robertson...so that opens my options to gigs I'm sure you might laugh at. I 'get out' more because my standards are low. Just want to be involved with a stage somehow. poo poo go recite poetry somewhere, it's all the same.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok so joinmyband was more fruitful, but now I realise I have no idea what to prepare for in a practical sense. I have only really done a few jams and one band rehearsal (the invitation to return to which, was rescinded).

I gather half a dozen songs where I've got the parts down, that I can suggest we attempt to go through?

Am I going to be a pariah with a crib sheet (I.E. Riff A*8) ?

I've already asked what potential bandmates expectations are and what they want to play.

I blatantly cannot play lead guitar YET in the songs I want to cover, but I'd rather not play second fiddle to another guitarist (the whole point of the exercise is to improve and force me to learn!) - how do I broach that?

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Crib sheets shouldn't be a problem I wouldn't have thought.

The place we rehearse has whiteboards in every room and by the end of an evening they look like hieroglyphics.

Edit: the real bassist wasn't able to play an important gig we had lined up, that was for someone else. He struggled to learn the tunes (a good player but very different style to us) so as I'd had 2 jams on guitar at that point I ended up playing bass on that gig, first time on stage in 7 or 8 years and it was to a couple hundred people. Good fun, if a bit of a trial by fire.

NonzeroCircle fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Jul 12, 2018

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Southern Heel posted:

I blatantly cannot play lead guitar YET in the songs I want to cover, but I'd rather not play second fiddle to another guitarist (the whole point of the exercise is to improve and force me to learn!) - how do I broach that?

You're going to have to get over yourself and be second fiddle, or find a group that's all worse than you. Just playing with a group will help you improve and you might eventually get there, but until then nobody will want to play with you again if you show up making demands.

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

Southern Heel posted:

You go "Do you mind if I try the lead on these? I really like them and want to get some practice; you can have the lead on these ones and maybe we can swap some bars or something." and then you go away and practice your dick off until you have something that sounds like a solo you aren't embarrassed to play in front of people.

The second part isn't actually that important unless you're gigging, because ultimately the garage doesn't care how many duff notes you hit, but the first part is the most important skill you can learn. Being able to work with people will get you ten times as many gigs as being able to play will.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Everyone wants to be Dave Murray but sometimes you have to be Adrian Smith

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor
I started on bass, so it's not like I had a lot of choice, but a lot of the "oh no, rhythm :( " goes away when you start playing with other people. Meshing in a group, especially with a drummer, and making it sound like a single unit (making it sound like your records) is absolutely a challenging and rewarding skillset all its own.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

After The War posted:

I started on bass, so it's not like I had a lot of choice, but a lot of the "oh no, rhythm :( " goes away when you start playing with other people. Meshing in a group, especially with a drummer, and making it sound like a single unit (making it sound like your records) is absolutely a challenging and rewarding skillset all its own.

Bass is so rad because you can play it as rhythm or lead or even percussion if you really want to. I can't play guitar worth a crap and I'm not even good at bass either, but coming from a bass background I find lead guitar way more intuitive. Noodling around with scales has a lot more in common with playing/coming up with basslines than trying to make your dumb fat bass player mitts do all kinds of chords on a tiny lil fretboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

Ok thanks. To be sure I'll take whatever I can and work forward :)