Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
History is also much more optimistic and absurd and boring than most books. History has the full dynamic range, it’s not tonally coherent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teh Madd Hatter
May 26, 2008
So I recommended The Gone World by Sweterlisch to a friend and he absolutely loved the way time travel worked in it and the style and tone. Anything else that's similar that I can send him to?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

General Battuta posted:

History is also much more optimistic and absurd and boring than most books. History has the full dynamic range, it’s not tonally coherent.

Case in point, Romance of the Three Kingdoms: most of this chapter has been political maneuvering and Cao Cao wrangling his many, many foes.

And then:

quote:

[...] shot Xiahou Dun in the left eye. Bellowing in pain, Xiahou Dun plucked out the arrow; the eyeball had stuck fast to the point. "The essence of my parents cannot be thrown away!" he cried, and swallowed the eye.
Then he went for Cao Xing and speared him in the face before he could defend himself. Cao Xing fell dead from his horse. The spectacle left both sides aghast.

Is this part of the historical part of the novel, or made up? I have no idea. I choose to believe it's true, because it's too bizarre to be false.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Well I finished Monster Baru Cormorant this morning. The last 25% was really good, and then it was over. I am glad to see that it shouldn't be too much of a wait for the next one though, so I'm hype for that.

Now to move onto Children of Time.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

Pretty good albeit depressing climate change SF short by Paolo Bacigalupi -

https://www.technologyreview.com/s/613349/a-full-life/

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yikes.

Read the kindle preview of Chapter 1 of David Webers new book and watch him go full 'Facebook Grandpa who watches too much Fox News'.

https://www.amazon.com/Gordian-Protocol-David-Weber-ebook/dp/B07R8K4395/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Solitair
Feb 18, 2014

TODAY'S GONNA BE A GOOD MOTHERFUCKIN' DAY!!!

pospysyl posted:

Those of you who like Children of Time and/or Children of Ruin, I strongly recommend Planet Lion, a short story by Catherynne Valente. It's a super ambitious animal uplift story that really goes for trying to describe an animalistic psychology.

This story was my first taste of Valente and I absolutely love it.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.

Deptfordx posted:

Yikes.

Read the kindle preview of Chapter 1 of David Webers new book and watch him go full 'Facebook Grandpa who watches too much Fox News'.

https://www.amazon.com/Gordian-Protocol-David-Weber-ebook/dp/B07R8K4395/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Oh boy. This is like the next-generation update of the marine vs. atheist professor scene.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

General Battuta posted:

Oh boy. This is like the next-generation update of the marine vs. atheist professor scene.

The description of that novel boils down to the Chud in the high castle.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Deptfordx posted:

Yikes.

no , i don't gotta

you can't make me

no

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

Still not as bad as Kratman

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Deptfordx posted:

Yikes.

you know you're in for a treat when the blurb is 500 words long,

e: 500 words that don't even cover why there's some sort of time-travel organization stealing texts from hellenistic egypt

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on May 19, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

I know right.

I read the blurb, clicked to the prologue and was WTF is this out of left field opening?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

We live in the bad timeline and the key to the good timeline was Germany conquering Russia - this book, apparently.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

since it's co-authored, id like to say these notions are coming mostly from the other guy, w/ weber's name just stamped on by the publisher
the prose style is too distinctly Weber for it to not be mostly him though

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:28 on May 19, 2019

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

Yeah, normally the unknown co-writer does 90%+ of the actual writing in this situation but it's Weber. There's no way he lets anyone else take the wheel in a book he's involved with.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

I got the impression he stopped caring 10 or 15 years ago.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

Surely the only surprise is it took this long.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Weber has been a lost cause for at least a decade unless you were into his very specific writing style.

Baru book 1 was ok, not great. The main character being the clever-ist pre-teen/teenager alive was slightly annoying, while the rest of the book was obviously (to me at least) a thinly novelized custom Crusader Kings 2 session, complete with character stats.

Read Arthur Machen's 1895 story The Three Imposters. Definitely groundbreaking and semi-scandalous for it's time period, it was a decent read for being 124 years old. The multiple stories within stories mechanic worked pretty good, while the 2 hipster idiots/designated goodguys of the story were the framework Machen used to tie everything together from beginning to end.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

I've never played CK2.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

General Battuta posted:

I've never played CK2.

Be honest, you watched an LP on Youtube, didn't you?

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

All the estates, duchies, and provinces clearly make it a game of Dominion.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

what the heck was up with baru's Twilight Imperium game acainst Farrier

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

General Battuta posted:

We live in the bad timeline and the key to the good timeline was Germany conquering Russia - this book, apparently.

Have you been watching Supergreatfriend play Titanic?
Because that's a thing there.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.
So Apex magazine released its last issue and now I need a cool monthly SF&F mag centering diverse authors. Anything y'all like? Hopefully one I can get on my Kindle.

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

apophenium posted:

So Apex magazine released its last issue and now I need a cool monthly SF&F mag centering diverse authors. Anything y'all like? Hopefully one I can get on my Kindle.

I recommend Lightspeed. You can start with their special issues highlighting women/queer/POC authors: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/special-issues/

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

apophenium posted:

Apex no :stonk: I always felt like they were particularly good at publishing more international SFF which wasn't always easy to find otherwise. Reading the EIC's comments, it seems like the right choice.

Lightspeed is good, so are Clarkesworld and Uncanny. Galaxy's Edge is good but leans more towards...hmm, how to phrase it? 'Nostalgic tastes' SF? It's not bad stuff, it just favors that style.

:rip:

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Weber has been a lost cause for at least a decade unless you were into his very specific writing style.

Yeah, I read the Honor Harrington books like 20 years ago and they were fun, but the later ones are terrible. Just seeing Patrick O'Brian mentioned in that book's blurb made me gag a little.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

General Battuta posted:

I've never played CK2.
Lies.

On another subject, read Arthur Machen's 1917 story The Terror. It meandered around telling the story and could have been trimmed down to 1/2 the length easily, but for a story published 102 years ago it wasn't too bad. The main twist of the plot was semi-underwhelming to a modern-day reader, simply due to the sheer amount of movies+ that have used that concept since the Terror was published, but for a reader of that era, the Terror twist was dark and messed up.

+Just off the top of my head, thinking of Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), Cujo (1983), and Arachnophobia(1990)...definitely left out other similarly themed movies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You...do know that Crusader Kings 2 is based on history, right?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

StrixNebulosa posted:

You...do know that Crusader Kings 2 is based on history, right?

So the winner's lies, then?

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Baru series doesn't have nearly enough incest to be CK2.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

baru is EUIV if anything

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 10:31 on May 22, 2019

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

General Battuta posted:

Nope, book takes place in an alternate time-line where Hitler/WW2/Holocaust never happened, protagonist eventually realizes he has to save Hitler in order for him to start WW2 and lose and be on our current timeline(which is the good timeline).

It's basically hey you know that if you could go back in time and kill Hitler as a baby would you? spun into an entire book.

Overarching plot was Webers idea, and I assume so was most of the more...longer info dumps that occurred...I've been reading Holo since his first book, and his issue is normally in the opposite direction.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Nope, book takes place in an alternate time-line where Hitler/WW2/Holocaust never happened, protagonist eventually realizes he has to save Hitler in order for him to start WW2 and lose and be on our current timeline(which is the good timeline).

Huh, that's an old idea. There was an adventure for the Champions RPG in the 80s that ran off this premise (it was recalled very shortly after release because of that plot and so is rather hard to find now, though I'm not sure if that was over actual complaints or second thoughts / timidity over the general anti-RPG hysteria of the 80s).

Drone Jett
Feb 21, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
College Slice
Children of Time Kindle is $2.99 right now.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

I hope some people read the first Monarchies of God book and fell in love because I really want to post with some cool bros who loved that series :(

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Drone Jett posted:

Children of Time Kindle is $2.99 right now.

This is good and the new book is good. I really enjoyed the resolution it was very neat.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I'm about 30% into Children of time and I just don't know how much I'm actually feeling it. I think I am spite reading at this point. Recently the shuttle crashed on to the terraformed planet and its inhabitants got swarmed by giant killer ants only to be sort of rescued and I just want to know if how it is going so far is sort of just the way it is or if the action ever really picks up. I don't really know where I want it to go or what I think I need out of it, just that it isn't scratching my itch. I loved the initial premise but IDK.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

KKKLIP ART posted:

I'm about 30% into Children of time and I just don't know how much I'm actually feeling it. I think I am spite reading at this point. Recently the shuttle crashed on to the terraformed planet and its inhabitants got swarmed by giant killer ants only to be sort of rescued and I just want to know if how it is going so far is sort of just the way it is or if the action ever really picks up. I don't really know where I want it to go or what I think I need out of it, just that it isn't scratching my itch. I loved the initial premise but IDK.

It never speeds up. That's one of the most action packed bits in the whole thing.

I say this as someone who loves it: don't force yourself.

e: The spiders get progressively cooler stories as they get more advanced but like, if you weren't already into them when Portia snuck into an ant hive, I doubt you'd enjoy plague/social revolution/spoilers/spoilers.