Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
For my comedic mockery of criminals I use small town murder

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007
I was watching the Richard Ramirez documentary on Netflix (goddamn the LAPD is/was useless) and thinking about what a sudden, dissonant, and ignominious end murder is to someone's life. Like, you have a 500 page novel about all of their experiences as a child, growing up, meeting a romantic partner, getting married, having kids and a career, and growing old, and then bam, in the very last sentence of the book, without foreshadowing, you have something like "and then she was raped, murdered, and dismembered" and their lasting legacy is as a victim.

Not that it didn't occur to me that being murdered isn't an ideal way to go, just that it overshadows everything a person might do or be in their life and recasts them as a character in some other hosed up person's story.

edit: Or as content for someone's hyuk hyuk crime podcast.

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.
I still am enjoying RedHanded, though last time I brought them up I think people said they shill their merch and patreon too much but I can't really blame them, they deserve to make money :shrug:

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

BrianRx posted:

I was watching the Richard Ramirez documentary on Netflix (goddamn the LAPD is/was useless) and thinking about what a sudden, dissonant, and ignominious end murder is to someone's life. Like, you have a 500 page novel about all of their experiences as a child, growing up, meeting a romantic partner, getting married, having kids and a career, and growing old, and then bam, in the very last sentence of the book, without foreshadowing, you have something like "and then she was raped, murdered, and dismembered" and their lasting legacy is as a victim.

Not that it didn't occur to me that being murdered isn't an ideal way to go, just that it overshadows everything a person might do or be in their life and recasts them as a character in some other hosed up person's story.

This is something I really like about the podcast You're Wrong About--the host Sarah Marshall has this philosophy of radical empathy and when she does true crime stuff, she always includes a part about the victims as people. Her recent Dyatlov Pass episode went into the friendships among the camping club members and their background and how they were turned from real people into folktale figures.

it's very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VAI1GIFB0

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

HelloIAmYourHeart posted:

This is something I really like about the podcast You're Wrong About--the host Sarah Marshall has this philosophy of radical empathy and when she does true crime stuff, she always includes a part about the victims as people. Her recent Dyatlov Pass episode went into the friendships among the camping club members and their background and how they were turned from real people into folktale figures.

it's very good: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-VAI1GIFB0

I love You're Wrong About (though I still miss the rapport Sarah and Michael Hobbes had). She always grounds the show in the idea that none of us is too smart to not do something stupid, or have something stupid happen to us.

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Tenkaris posted:

I still am enjoying RedHanded, though last time I brought them up I think people said they shill their merch and patreon too much but I can't really blame them, they deserve to make money :shrug:

I think both are true (I like them, they do research, they are respectful of victims, but also the ads and shilling are kind of a lot).

I like All Killa, No Filla when they are actually talking about the crime, but the digressions and comedy bits are getting too long and too frequent.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

BrianRx posted:

I was watching the Richard Ramirez documentary on Netflix (goddamn the LAPD is/was useless)

At a certain point I can't help but question whether the police just straight up allowed poo poo to continue for some reason

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year

Wasabi the J posted:

At a certain point I can't help but question whether the police just straight up allowed poo poo to continue for some reason

Oh, no doubt.

There were at least 5 or 6 serial killers operating simultaneously in LA at one time in the late 70's to early 80's. They prioritized the white blondes being strangled in the Hollywood Hills a bit more than than homeless people being stabbed on skid row.

Le Faye Morgaine
Feb 1, 2022

BrianRx posted:

Spoilered for a really depressing thought

The part that scares me most is how quickly it can all be over (and more horrifyingly not), but just imagining struggling and confused too much to think any meaningful thoughts about loved ones before you're just gone (hopefully). That chaos is what frightens me every time as a woman I am in a place with little people around to call for help if I needed, and that I should be saying my blessings every moment cause I might not be able to in the end. I weep especially for those deaths. Sorry if that brought out anything, but i dont think i am alone in that fear, and not only from being a woman of course, its a big fear for a lot of us.

Pope Hilarius II
Nov 10, 2008

BrianRx posted:

idk, I have a second cousin who was murdered in quite a grueseome way. We weren't close at all (we hadn't seen each other for over 25 years when it happened) but it's certainly not all I think of when I think about her. Then again, for everyone who didn't know the victim, that impression is probably true.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Pope Hilarius II posted:

idk, I have a second cousin who was murdered in quite a grueseome way. We weren't close at all (we hadn't seen each other for over 25 years when it happened) but it's certainly not all I think of when I think about her. Then again, for everyone who didn't know the victim, that impression is probably true.

I figure that's why it's important to remember to respect the victims when you discuss this stuff. The victimhood is almost inevitably going to be the most interesting thing about the person to a total stranger. I think I've said in this thread before I was at the 2016 Nice terrorist attack, and like- that's far from the most important thing in my life, but I can't blame a stranger for wanting to hear what that was like, instead of how cool it was when my dad took me to see star wars and let me buy two different candies. Just remember that people are people with huge internal lives just like yours.

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Pope Hilarius II posted:

I'm sorry to hear about your cousin. It's the last sentence that I think is what I was getting at. I'm glad your memory of them isn't overshadowed by the way they died. I have a friend whose brother was murdered by his partner in a bad way; for them, the end is the most prominent thought though it doesn't erase all of the other parts either.

Wasabi the J posted:

They really may as well not have been involved at all. Ramirez was caught almost as soon as the SFPD got involved and was apprehended by the public. They almost took care of the "justice" part too.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Someone blew up the Georgia Guidstones.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Q person?

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Gaius Marius posted:

Someone blew up the Georgia Guidstones.

That’s a half-assed alias if I’ve ever seen one.

NYT article (if anyone is paywalled and desperately needs to read the article, let me know. I’m the idiot paying every month until I’ll remember to cancel it someday.)

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib
I also have NYT access so anyone is welcome to PM me if needed (for this thread or whatever).

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Here’s an unpaywalled local article.

moonmazed
Dec 27, 2021

by VideoGames
Mart Clamp

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Strong Colgy P energy

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
Longmont Potion Castle rear end name

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
its a good thing overall that some maniac with the means and motive to deploy high explosives in a political act, did so and clued investigators in to their presence without killing anyone or damaging anything of consequence

its just a shame that the town known for its granite quarrying and carving industry can't replace this carved granite monument easily. too bad they need a mysterious businessman to pay for the monument and they can't, like, just whip one up utilizing already existing material and techniques at cost

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
The Christmas Tree Lady has been identified through a DNA network finding her siblings!

In case you don’t walk around with an encyclopedic collection of Doe Network cases in your head:

On December 18th, 1996 freshly starting their workday at 9am, a groundskeeper at the Pleasant Valley Memorial Park Cemetery in Annandale Virginia stumbled upon a peculiar scene. Near the infant burial portion of the cemetery known as “Babyland” stood an 8 inch tall Christmas tree, decked out with gold ball ornaments and red ribbon. What he saw beyond the tree really drew his concern. Sprawled on a tarp, he found a lifeless body with a plastic bag over its head.

Detectives Richard Perez and Mike Headley arrived around 9:40am and found the deceased to be still warm, indicating that whatever had happened had been recent. It wasn’t long before they discovered the notes in her pockets. She carried no identification, but only two sealed envelopes addressed each to the cemetery and the coroner. Each envelope contained $50 and a typed letter.

“Deceased by own hand. . . . Prefer no autopsy. Please order cremation, with funds provided. Thank you, Jane Doe.”

In addition to the clothes on her body and her decorated Christmas Tree, the Annandale Jane Doe also carried some personal effects in a small, green knapsack. In it, she had bifocals with translucent frames, a red scarf, an empty bottle of brandy and two empty bottles of juice, I believe they were peach and mango, as well as a plastic drinking cup.

Also in the backpack were two cassette tapes- Jeff Foxworthy’s “You might be a redneck” and a recording of Monty Python’s the Holy Grail. On her body at discovery, they also found a walkman with a tape recording of famous comedians Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner doing their “2000 Year old Man” routine. It appears she was listening to this at the time of her passing.

Perhaps most unusual was the children’s sized Minnie Mouse fanny pack. It was too small to hold even a pencil, and it was well loved, held together with tape and safety pins. Lastly, she carried a typewritten poem that many speculate she may have written herself.

“Now I lay me down to sleep.
Soon to drift to the eternal deep.
And though I die and shall not wake
Sleep sweeter will be than this life I forsake.”

Despite Jane Doe’s wishes, under the circumstances she was given an autopsy. Between those findings and the deliberate scene, it was surmised that she had taken her own life by drinking brandy, taking valium pills, and taping a plastic bag over her head. The official cause of death was listed as asphyxiation, manner of death was suicide.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Busket Posket posted:

The Christmas Tree Lady has been identified through a DNA network finding her siblings!

In case you don’t walk around with an encyclopedic collection of Doe Network cases in your head:

On December 18th, 1996 freshly starting their workday at 9am, a groundskeeper at the Pleasant Valley Memorial Park Cemetery in Annandale Virginia stumbled upon a peculiar scene. Near the infant burial portion of the cemetery known as “Babyland” stood an 8 inch tall Christmas tree, decked out with gold ball ornaments and red ribbon. What he saw beyond the tree really drew his concern. Sprawled on a tarp, he found a lifeless body with a plastic bag over its head.

Detectives Richard Perez and Mike Headley arrived around 9:40am and found the deceased to be still warm, indicating that whatever had happened had been recent. It wasn’t long before they discovered the notes in her pockets. She carried no identification, but only two sealed envelopes addressed each to the cemetery and the coroner. Each envelope contained $50 and a typed letter.

“Deceased by own hand. . . . Prefer no autopsy. Please order cremation, with funds provided. Thank you, Jane Doe.”

In addition to the clothes on her body and her decorated Christmas Tree, the Annandale Jane Doe also carried some personal effects in a small, green knapsack. In it, she had bifocals with translucent frames, a red scarf, an empty bottle of brandy and two empty bottles of juice, I believe they were peach and mango, as well as a plastic drinking cup.

Also in the backpack were two cassette tapes- Jeff Foxworthy’s “You might be a redneck” and a recording of Monty Python’s the Holy Grail. On her body at discovery, they also found a walkman with a tape recording of famous comedians Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner doing their “2000 Year old Man” routine. It appears she was listening to this at the time of her passing.

Perhaps most unusual was the children’s sized Minnie Mouse fanny pack. It was too small to hold even a pencil, and it was well loved, held together with tape and safety pins. Lastly, she carried a typewritten poem that many speculate she may have written herself.

“Now I lay me down to sleep.
Soon to drift to the eternal deep.
And though I die and shall not wake
Sleep sweeter will be than this life I forsake.”

Despite Jane Doe’s wishes, under the circumstances she was given an autopsy. Between those findings and the deliberate scene, it was surmised that she had taken her own life by drinking brandy, taking valium pills, and taping a plastic bag over her head. The official cause of death was listed as asphyxiation, manner of death was suicide.

The discovery of her identity reveals surprisingly little, except maybe that she didn’t get along with her family.

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

BrianRx posted:

I had this exact pang of existential angst when I first saw the end of Easy Rider.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Wasabi the J posted:

The SFPD has been refusing to do their jobs until the progressive DA was turfed out in a dodgy recall election.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/kuper-island/id1623248767

This podcast explores a Residential School in British Columbia where many hosed up and terrible things happened to Indigenous children. These children were beaten for speaking their native language and made to convert to Christianity to make them "white".

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

That was every residential school in Canada. My girlfriend's dad grew up in one and the government is dragging its loving heels in giving each survivor $40,000 in compensation.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Metaline posted:

That was every residential school in Canada. My girlfriend's dad grew up in one and the government is dragging its loving heels in giving each survivor $40,000 in compensation.

This is deliberate because the more that don't get the cash before they die the more :10bux: they save.

The West Australian government is currently doing that with stolen wages they were meant to be keeping safe for Aboriginal people who were not trusted with their own wages. Turns out it all went missing somehow and they'll find out exactly who took it so they can give it back any day now.

Fighting Trousers
May 17, 2011

Does this excite you, girl?

Metaline posted:

That was every residential school.

They did the same thing here in the States.

Violet_Sky
Dec 5, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fighting Trousers posted:

They did the same thing here in the States.

Yeah I didn't know if they did it in the States so I over-explained. :sweatdrop: It's still a worthwhile listen for how hosed up the whole thing is.

The way they made the kids stare at a hanging body of another kid. :stare:

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?

Busket Posket posted:

Not available here, can someone summarise?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

eating only apples posted:

Very little information is provided. Basically they now know who she was because her sibilings/family provided dna to prove a match so we have a name, but theres not other information provided really.

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

eating only apples posted:

A body was found in the late 90s in a public park in Northern Virginia with no identification on it, a note in the pockets that the person wanted to commit suicide and had money to cover cremation (along with some other things like the music and comedy tapes she was apparently listening to on a Walkman possibly as she was dying?) and there was this foot tall fake decorated Christmas tree that was next to her body, which got her the moniker Christmas tree lady. Forensic genealogy found surviving family in Iowa. Apparently she was estranged from her family by her own choice.

https://dnasolves.com/articles/christmas_tree_lady_joyce_sommers/#:~:text=The%20woman%20known%20for%20a,the%20oldest%20of%205%20siblings

https://www.kiro7.com/news/trending/genealogists-help-solve-mystery-christmas-tree-lady-found-dead-cemetery-1996

https://www.washingtonpost.com/crime-law/2022/07/07/christmas-tree-lady-identified

Metaline
Aug 20, 2003

Inceltown posted:

This is deliberate because the more that don't get the cash before they die the more :10bux: they save.
Yup. He's 85 and doesn't think he'll ever get it.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
well, at least shes not loving the turkeys

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Jesus, what must her dancing be like

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Good story.

Bookish
Sep 7, 2006

80% sexy 20% disgusting

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

well, at least shes not loving the turkeys

Perfect thread title

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

excuse me what