Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.

luxury handset posted:

the industry is quietly admitting it, to a degree. at least the large vehicle manufacturers are. there's a ton of people who have interest in hyping the technology though, both uber and tesla depend on it to varying degrees for survival, and then you've got this guy

I commute to Los Angeles once a week from the San Diego area and sleep on the way.

Self-driving car? No, Amtrak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morbus
May 18, 2004

I, for one, am shocked that these people have managed to make some poor investments

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Morbus posted:

I, for one, am shocked that these people have managed to make some poor investments

They have a huge amount of assets whose value is very real and not at all self-reported, inflated, speculative, or otherwise bullshit, though. Nothing will happen to them.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i mean, they do? you could look this up and prove it for yourself. or not, that's an option also, many people choose to continue believing things without merit because to verify otherwise is inconvenient

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Does Uber have a crypto yet?

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
Uber/WeWork merger when?????

WAR CRIME GIGOLO
Oct 3, 2012

The Hague
tryna get me
for these glutes

Mister Facetious posted:

Uber/WeWork merger when?????

Finally I can get into a strangers box to travel to another strangers box inside a strangers office.

Watxh the uber-wework try to rent conference rooms inside SUVs

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

luxury handset posted:

i mean, they do? you could look this up and prove it for yourself. or not, that's an option also, many people choose to continue believing things without merit because to verify otherwise is inconvenient

Hey here's a thought, state with proof and evidence of the third party certifying their financials or stop replying like this every time somebody makes a half-assed joke about a trillion dollar multinational.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

ryonguy posted:

Hey here's a thought, state with proof and evidence of the third party certifying their financials or stop replying like this every time somebody makes a half-assed joke about a trillion dollar multinational.

yeah it's deloitte

https://group.softbank/en/corp/d/annual-reports/2017/common/file/pdf/p180_report_softbank_annual_report_2017.pdf

dont get me wrong, i would like to see softbank stumble and all capital to the thrown into the sea, i just demand goons have better ideas than "are you aware that 2009 was a year that happened?" but that's a fault of my expectations being to high perhaps

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
lol deloitte, yes, very credible

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
hey, i'm only answering the question asked aka being the resident google receptionist :shrug:

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What's also worrying is that is seems the car's programmed to ignore anyone crossing the road except at places where it has been told there are crossings.

So, if you're standing at a new crossing or one that's not in the car's programming, or they've just got the location wrong, then there's a good chance it's going to plough right into you.

How do you even get a self driving system with "there will only be pedestrians <here> and <here>. Ignore anything else" and think that's something that's mature enough to be allowed on a public road?

Nah man, self-driving cars are 18 months out.

Totally.

They're absolutely safe and aren't going to straight up murder pedestrians on the daily.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I know I've seen it posted here but i cannot find it. What is the problem with all the Tesla, Google, OpenAI stuff? Everyone i know is fawning over all the AI talk that comes out of these tech companies and its all just marketing and slick buzzwords but I can't find anything concrete to explain it to them.

Laypeople with next to 0 understanding of technical systems are now crowing about automation and AI replacing everything in a matter of years and I just can't figure out how to explain that it is not even remotely that simple.

I remember someone posting how Silicon valley AI is a lot of hype with no substance and wildly different from the academia focused research.

Oakland Martini
Feb 14, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
THE APARTHEID ACADEMIC

It's important that institutions never take a stance like "genocide is bad". Now get out there and crack some of my students' skulls.
https://thecorrespondent.com/100/the-new-dot-com-bubble-is-here-its-called-online-advertising/13228924500-22d5fd24

I have always been skeptical about the value of online advertising, but assumed that big companies involved must have done some studies to determine its value. Turns out they did, but their studies are garbage.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Automation is steadily improving and long term that does threaten jobs, but it'll happen gradually, not overnight.

For example, Boston Dynamics has been working on robots for a long rear end time now and they only recently did a big commercial launch with Spot. Spot looks...well it certainly has some uses, but we're still decades away from I, Robot-style general purpose robots taking our jerbs.

Pochoclo
Feb 4, 2008

No...
Clapping Larry

pentyne posted:

I know I've seen it posted here but i cannot find it. What is the problem with all the Tesla, Google, OpenAI stuff? Everyone i know is fawning over all the AI talk that comes out of these tech companies and its all just marketing and slick buzzwords but I can't find anything concrete to explain it to them.

Laypeople with next to 0 understanding of technical systems are now crowing about automation and AI replacing everything in a matter of years and I just can't figure out how to explain that it is not even remotely that simple.

I remember someone posting how Silicon valley AI is a lot of hype with no substance and wildly different from the academia focused research.

Most of the Silicon Valley "AI" stuff is someone grabbing some open source neural network library, finding a large enough dataset to train it, and producing a barely functioning model out of it that they use to milk VC money.

Feinne
Oct 9, 2007

When you fall, get right back up again.

pentyne posted:

I mean you have to go by application to actually get into why it's generally somewhere between 'oversold' and 'total horseshit'.

But a good example is photo recognition and its bad habit of deciding anything tall in a photo is a giraffe, because it turns out the training data is enriched in giraffes compared to the real world because people like taking pictures of giraffes when they see them.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

pentyne posted:

General Purpose AI is still a pipe dream, and most of what is being sold as AI now is just highly complex if/then trees. It has some value in automating policy application, but it isn't the placebo for decision-making and analysis that SV wants to sell it as, much less the religion chuds like Eliezer Yudkowsky want to portray it as.

There's a whole death cult in SV right now that believes that the Singularity is going to happen Any Day Now and we'll suddenly be post-scarcity so they never have to work again and are hailed as gods.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

Megillah Gorilla posted:

What about when construction has blocked off a sidewalk and pedestrians have to walk on the road "protected" by barriers?

Will the car plough through that, too?

EDIT:

Geez couldn't they at least use some jersey barriers here?

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Liquid Communism posted:

General Purpose AI is still a pipe dream, and most of what is being sold as AI now is just highly complex if/then trees. It has some value in automating policy application, but it isn't the placebo for decision-making and analysis that SV wants to sell it as, much less the religion chuds like Eliezer Yudkowsky want to portray it as.

If someone describes it as AI instead of "machine learning" you know they are either profiting from it or drank the kool aid. AI is the buzzword bingo free square right in the middle.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

pentyne posted:

The reason for all the AI hype is that, around 10 years ago, some very long-standing problems in object classification / machine learning saw some really impressive progress. A lot of this had to do with some breakthroughs involving neural networks. Like, for decades, it was a really hard problem to get a computer to accurately classify an object based on an image, and progress had been very tepid. Then all of a sudden you had algorithms [op up that could do a really good job. I mean classifiers still have problems today, but in comparison the state of the art in like 2007 was just complete and utter dogshit, as it had been for decades. The notion that it is at all technologically feasible to train a computer to recognize semi-reliably a thing based on an image of it is a recent development.

This was and is exciting 1.) because there are some obvious piratical applications and 2.) because neural networks, as a concept, had been kind of dismissed for a long time as not being very useful, and now with some new tricks there was an exciting new tool in the toolbox. So in a short period of time, some previously very hard problems were solved or saw lots of progress. Google's Go playing AI, for example, is something that really wasn't possible using the methods that existed pre-2012.

So because you had a sudden and exciting burst of progress in a field nobody understands but which has clear applications, you've got huge opportunities to hype the poo poo out of vaporware and make $$$$. If you're really interested in some of the underlying concepts, I think this series from 3Blue1Brown (which is an outstanding channel for it's other content too) is a good intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aircAruvnKk

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Morbus posted:

The reason for all the AI hype is that, around 10 years ago, some very long-standing problems in object classification / machine learning saw some really impressive progress. A lot of this had to do with some breakthroughs involving neural networks. Like, for decades, it was a really hard problem to get a computer to accurately classify an object based on an image, and progress had been very tepid. Then all of a sudden you had algorithms [op up that could do a really good job. I mean classifiers still have problems today, but in comparison the state of the art in like 2007 was just complete and utter dogshit, as it had been for decades. The notion that it is at all technologically feasible to train a computer to recognize semi-reliably a thing based on an image of it is a recent development.

This was and is exciting 1.) because there are some obvious piratical applications and 2.) because neural networks, as a concept, had been kind of dismissed for a long time as not being very useful, and now with some new tricks there was an exciting new tool in the toolbox. So in a short period of time, some previously very hard problems were solved or saw lots of progress. Google's Go playing AI, for example, is something that really wasn't possible using the methods that existed pre-2012.

So because you had a sudden and exciting burst of progress in a field nobody understands but which has clear applications, you've got huge opportunities to hype the poo poo out of vaporware and make $$$$. If you're really interested in some of the underlying concepts, I think this series from 3Blue1Brown (which is an outstanding channel for it's other content too) is a good intro:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aircAruvnKk

Just to add on to this. A number of the most impressive results in reinforcement learning are the result of throwing tons and tons of computing power at the problem. There are definitely improvements in the methods (details that are boring to outsiders like reward efficiency) but AlphaStar is a much more impressive engineering feat than it is a demonstration of general AI. Lots of problems totally unrelated to AI become tractable if you have millions of dollars to spend years developing a highly skilled workforce and an incredibly optimized system to work with. Its neat, but my opinion is that it is a multimillion dollar parlor trick.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Cicero posted:

Automation is steadily improving and long term that does threaten jobs, but it'll happen gradually, not overnight.

For example, Boston Dynamics has been working on robots for a long rear end time now and they only recently did a big commercial launch with Spot. Spot looks...well it certainly has some uses, but we're still decades away from I, Robot-style general purpose robots taking our jerbs.

It's also people latching onto the more drastic examples rather than the picky reality. People as a whole aren't being replaced. Technology is just forcing less people to do more work, with some getting shuffled out of the workforce. It's much more striking to write articles about "Wendy's/McDonald's Is Getting Rid of Cashiers" when the reality of "Wendy's is offer a self-serve kiosk that a lot of people won't bother to use for a lot of minor bullshit reasons, but it will somewhat reduce the load on checkout allowing them to probably cut a cashier" isn't quite as interesting or attention grabbing. An AI circling the item to pick out of a box for an Amazon warehouse worker, thereby forcing them to work a second faster on each pick all day, isn't a good headline.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Might be time to restart the thread with a new poll: how long until SoftBank goes under:
  1. less than 6 months
  2. less than 1 year
  3. less than 2 years
  4. I trust in Son!

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Always remember that the same people trying to sell you on AI, or autonomous cars, or really any app-based solution to problem they've invented by writing an app are impossibly gullible and broken human beings.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/07/style/dopamine-fasting.html

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — Everything was going really well for the men of Tennessee Street. Women wanted to talk to them, investors wanted to invest, their new site got traffic, phones were buzzing, their Magic: The Gathering cards were appreciating. This all was exactly the problem.

They tried to tamp the pleasure. They would not eat for days (intermittent fasting). They would eschew screens (digital detox). It was not enough. Life was still so good and pleasurable.

And so they came to the root of it: dopamine, a neurotransmitter that is involved in how we feel pleasure. The three of them — all in their mid-20s and founders of SleepWell, a sleep analysis start-up — needed to go on a dopamine fast.

“We’re addicted to dopamine,” said James Sinka, who of the three fellows is the most exuberant about their new practice. “And because we’re getting so much of it all the time, we end up just wanting more and more, so activities that used to be pleasurable now aren’t. Frequent stimulation of dopamine gets the brain’s baseline higher.”

Someone just told techbros about the hedonic treadmill.

quote:

A dopamine fast is simple because it is basically a fast of everything.

They would not be eating. They would not look at any screens. They would not listen to music. They would not exercise. They would not touch other bodies for any reason, especially not for sex. No work. No eye contact. No talking more than absolutely necessary. A photographer could take their picture, but there could be no flash.

The number of things to not do is potentially endless.

The ultimate dopamine fast is complete sensory deprivation, like maybe floating in a dark water tank or locking oneself in a closet. But the dopamine fasters of San Francisco do hope to keep existing in the normal world.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I am shocked, shocked, shocked that WeWork would lay off rank-and-file employees and require a noncompete in order to get a severance package.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/11/7/20953930/wework-adam-neumann-severance-laid-off-employees-layoffs-buyout-unicorn-ipo

quote:

“It’s kind of insulting they’re describing this as generous,” said the anonymous former Meetup employee about the terms of the layoff packages. The employee said that they were told not to discuss the terms of the deal and that WeWork is “monitoring” staff and would take “aggressive action” if anyone disclosed details.

The former employee said that terminated employees were given until November 19 to sign the severance agreement — or walk away with nothing. Finding a new job could prove difficult because of the preexisting non-compete agreement, they said.

“In terms of the non-compete, what does that even mean? So we can’t work at a school, a co-living facility, a gym, a tech company? There are so many things,” they said.

kitten smoothie fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 8, 2019

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

kitten smoothie posted:

I am shocked, shocked, shocked that WeWork would lay off rank-and-file employees and require a noncompete in order to get a severance package.

https://www.vox.com/recode/2019/11/7/20953930/wework-adam-neumann-severance-laid-off-employees-layoffs-buyout-unicorn-ipo

Speaking of layoffs:

https://twitter.com/itsa_talia/status/1192281064137510912

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Silicon Valley appears to be what would happen if there were a bunch of clones of Kramer from Seinfeld and they were all real.

Except some of his ideas were better.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

quote:

Hi, I'm the guy with 1.2M Ford. Update and AMA I guess (self.wallstreetbets)

Anyways here's a few interesting points

1. I had zero contact from RH since last Friday until today. I got an email last Friday telling me to expect a call on Monday, however it never came.

2. My account was restricted Friday at open, it became "disabled" around noon on the same day. I'm not sure what the difference is, you'd have to ask RH. Also that same day I was hit with a $91,000 margin call.

3. I did not sign an NDA, I was never asked to sign an NDA. I was not contacted by the SEC, FINRA, or any other regulatory body, and vice versa. I really want to emphasize how little communication I received from RH.

4. Today RH closed out the Ford position, I'm not sure of the specifics however it wasn't that complicated of a position anyways, any competent trade desk could get out relatively easy. If anyone is curious about the Apple position, it was assigned on Friday, which was the plan anyways, so its not a big deal. Any other position in the screenshots MoonYachts posted were from before levering up.

5. I am banned from RH. Their email said that if I am carrying a negative balance I have 60 days to pay it off. I am not carrying a negative balance so I'm doing a money transfer to my bank and an ACAT transfer to TDA. I can't speak to what happened to the other uses who did this since they made far riskier plays than me with the leverage they gained.

6. Matt Levine's coverage is the only worthwhile thing I've read on the trade. The trade isn't that interesting its just big numbers. I will take exception to the line saying that I did this to amuse my Reddit friends, as I only read WSB on occasion, however it is a fair generalization.

https://www.reddit.com/r/wallstreetbets/comments/dt4p70/hi_im_the_guy_with_12m_ford_update_and_ama_i_guess/

Here is Matt Levine’s article. He also talks about SoftBank.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Oakland Martini posted:

https://thecorrespondent.com/100/the-new-dot-com-bubble-is-here-its-called-online-advertising/13228924500-22d5fd24

I have always been skeptical about the value of online advertising, but assumed that big companies involved must have done some studies to determine its value. Turns out they did, but their studies are garbage.

This was a really fun read, thanks for posting it. As someone who works in a field where I can usually flip a switch and turn on/off the effect I'm trying to measure, looking for sufficient statistical power in a field full of people who would rather not know sounds maddening.

Missing Donut
Apr 24, 2003

Trying to lead a middle-aged life. Well, it's either that or drop dead.

In general, Matt Levine is the only markets writer worth reading. What he’s written about SoftBank alone chould really be bound as Volume II of Das Kapital.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009
Yeah, that's a good article and captures my general question of why the gently caress they did it.

Like, throwing several thousand dollars on the line for the lulz is a weird thing. I also noticed that r/WallStreetBets has a banner that turns the Wall Street Kid into The Joker when you mouse over it, which captures the atmosphere of that place better than any words ever could.

A slightly funnier point from the subreddit thread on it noted that Robinhood's margin policy isn't as forgiving as they assumed. You can pay $5 a month to trade on margin, but it's only good for up to $1,000. Any margin above that is charged 5% yearly interested assessed daily and billed monthly. Some idiot who's in for a million in long term puts on Apple and Tesla would owe $60,000 in interest if they actually let him use the glitch as he hoped.

Still crazy, if the AMAs are true, that Robinhood is still relying on generic emails and not assigning some type of crisis manager to the cases. I guess it is possible that they could gently caress up handling this so bad that the buyer isn't liable.

Morbus
May 18, 2004

MickeyFinn posted:

Just to add on to this. A number of the most impressive results in reinforcement learning are the result of throwing tons and tons of computing power at the problem. There are definitely improvements in the methods (details that are boring to outsiders like reward efficiency) but AlphaStar is a much more impressive engineering feat than it is a demonstration of general AI. Lots of problems totally unrelated to AI become tractable if you have millions of dollars to spend years developing a highly skilled workforce and an incredibly optimized system to work with. Its neat, but my opinion is that it is a multimillion dollar parlor trick.

I think this is a wrong take if you look at the history. The improvement in computing power from 1990 to 2005 absolutely dwarfs the improvement that occurred from 2006 to 2019. Like it's not even close. And yet, prior to ~2012, the performance of (mostly autocorrelation based) image classifiers was just laughably bad, with only marginal improvements despite multiple order-of-magnitude gains in available computing power. Those older techniques are still dogshit even if you run them on modern supercomputers.

The sudden increase in interest you see in the last 5+ years was very much the result of some (arguably long past due) breakthroughs in algorithms and methods.

That being said, absolutely nothing that has been achieved is even remotely close to being a "demonstration of general AI". Some new and very useful tools were added to the toolbox, and it's now possible to solve problems that we were pretty bad at. But this has happened many times before in the history of AI, and there are always people who are eager to jump on each new cool trick as the harbinger of general AI when the fact is we are really no closer to that than we were 50 years ago.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Morbus posted:

I think this is a wrong take if you look at the history. The improvement in computing power from 1990 to 2005 absolutely dwarfs the improvement that occurred from 2006 to 2019. Like it's not even close. And yet, prior to ~2012, the performance of (mostly autocorrelation based) image classifiers was just laughably bad, with only marginal improvements despite multiple order-of-magnitude gains in available computing power. Those older techniques are still dogshit even if you run them on modern supercomputers.

The sudden increase in interest you see in the last 5+ years was very much the result of some (arguably long past due) breakthroughs in algorithms and methods.

That being said, absolutely nothing that has been achieved is even remotely close to being a "demonstration of general AI". Some new and very useful tools were added to the toolbox, and it's now possible to solve problems that we were pretty bad at. But this has happened many times before in the history of AI, and there are always people who are eager to jump on each new cool trick as the harbinger of general AI when the fact is we are really no closer to that than we were 50 years ago.

computing power is roughly the same over those spans, Moore's law is still mostly holding after all these years

probably the bigger change was the advent of 64 bit addressing becoming mainstream allowed for a much larger space to be parsed

X86-64 was '99 and that's.as good as any.milestone to point to as for when 64 but processors started moving out of purposeful niche prodict to the standard commercial offering

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 8, 2019

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.

Morbus posted:

Except that just isn't true. The breakthrough image classification models weren't new tech. They were built on decades old research. They just comically upped the number of free parameters and most importantly trained it on datasets that are orders of magnitude larger than previous. Before 2012ish often researchers had to train on datasets of several dozen examples per class. As a results the methods had to be drastically constrained to get what was then good performance.

The rise of companies harvesting as much data as possible and devoting clusters upon clusters to just tune hyperparameters constantly is what is the difference.

Also the reason why Google et al often tend to self publish and not compare against baselines in their work. Often the algorithms add complexity for the sake of complexity and new headlines without actually outperforming previous work.

Billy Gnosis fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Nov 8, 2019

Delta-Wye
Sep 29, 2005

Billy Gnosis posted:

Except that just isn't true. The breakthrough image classification models weren't new tech. They were built on decades old research. They just comically upped the number of free parameters and most importantly trained it on datasets that are orders of magnitude larger than previous. Before 2012ish often researchers had to train on datasets of several dozen examples per class. As a results the methods had to be drastically constrained to get what was then good performance.

The rise of companies harvesting as much data as possible and devoting clusters upon clusters to just tune hyperparameters constantly is what is the difference.

hum yes just highly complex if/then trees, yes

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Might be time to restart the thread with a new poll: how long until SoftBank goes under:
  1. less than 6 months
  2. less than 1 year
  3. less than 2 years
  4. I trust in Son!

Never, because he's got an ungodly huge ball of capital fed by a very profitable core telecom business that is implicitly backed by the Japanese government?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Nov 8, 2019

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Delta-Wye posted:

hum yes just highly complex if/then trees, yes

That is, in fact, what an image classification model is.

You can build a basic one in Python in under an hour. The difference between that and the big ones Goggle Images uses is magnitudes of scale more processing power and millions of user-tagged images to train it on.

Vinz Clortho
Jul 19, 2004

In what sense is a convolutional neural network just an “if–then tree”?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

animist posted:

okay, so, first thing you gotta understand is what people mean by "deep neural networks". a neural network is made up of "neurons", which are functions of weighted sums. thats it. here's a "neuron":

code:
W = [10, 300, -.5]

def car_price(wheel_size, engine_horsepower, miles_driven):
  total = wheel_size * W[0] + engine_horsepower * W[1] + miles_driven * W[2]

return (total if total > 0 else 0)
an ML person would say this is a good analogy for a biological neuron, and draw it like this:

inputs get multiplied by weights ([10, 300, -.5]), then summed, and passed through a nonlinear function. the function we're using is called ReLU, defined relu(x) = (x if x > 0 else 0). you might think thats a lovely function but it's super common in deep learning for some loving reason

of course, neural network people hate labeling things, so theyd actually draw it like this:

which looks more convincing.

now, what if you don't know what weights to use? that's easy. pick some random weights. then, steal a dataset of car specs + prices from somewhere. pick a random car and feed its specs to your function. your function will return a price, which will be wrong. so, tweak your weights to make them more correct. this is easy to do, because you know how much the output will change if you change your weights. if the car you're looking at has a wheel size of 10, changing W[0] by 1.5 will change the output by 15. capische? so just tweak all your weights a little so your function's output is a little closer to the actual price.

now do this a bazillion times. if you're lucky, your network will now give good estimates for car prices. if it doesn't, you can always add more neurons:

the later ones are sums of the earlier ones, see. what do the ones in the middle mean? idk, but now your network can express more functions. the training algorithm still works the same way, divide-and-conquer style.

but that's childs play. thats barely any neurons at all. that's the sort of poo poo you'd see in a neural network paper from the 1980s. weve got gpus now. you can throw as many neurons as you want around, in giant 3d blocks of numbers, each made up of the sums of other giant 3d blocks of numbers. just go hogwild:

these are all state-of-the-art networks. if you take a long time and learn a bazillion tricks to train them correctly, you can get these to give pretty good accuracies for benchmark problems. they were all discovered by, basically, loving around. there's barely any theoretical basis for any of this. machine learning!

this post got fuckoff long so im not gonna even post about interpretability. just think about picking some numbers from the middle of those giant networks and trying to decide if they're racist. now imagine your career hinging on getting good results from that. welcome to my grad program