Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Lord Hydronium posted:

The best thing to come out of Day By Day were the edits replacing all the dialogue with Jerkcity, which somehow was less rambling, less offensive, and made more sense than the originals.

We should do that to Tedd.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

You seen this? You heard about this?

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

This one pisses me off the most because we DO know why this keeps happening and how we could take steps to make it happen less often.

And yet, much like healthcare, even though it's a totally fixable problem nothing will be done because a lot of powerful people make money off of human suffering.

I think that's the point, though I could be AGCing this (can't remember what level of shithead Beeler is). I read it as "we keep singing the same song over and over without thinking, and it's not changing anything so we should probably do something else."

loquacius posted:

Basically this, there's no reason not to post it, with the corollary that if it gets posted it is very much a valid target for snarky comments

Snarky comments about the content are fine. Saying over and over "why is this posted, it's not above my arbitrary threshold of politicalness" adds nothing to the discussion.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
In this analogy, Ted Rall is Ramsay, torturing the metaphor.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Lord Hydronium posted:

The best thing to come out of Day By Day were the edits replacing all the dialogue with Jerkcity, which somehow was less rambling, less offensive, and made more sense than the originals.

That and the Penis by Penis (Dick by Dick?) edits.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

The best thing to come out of DBD was the Judge Doom parody.

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

That and the Penis by Penis (Dick by Dick?) edits.
I was always partial to "Day By Penis".

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

IM DAY DAY IRL posted:

hey, it's me, a fan of zelda who believes that the narrative and issues addressed in the comic carry political weight because of their frequent politicalization. I get that it may be difficult to empathize with viewpoints, opinions, and subjects presented through unrelatable flawed characters but if understanding and agreeing with author/character intent is a requirement for this thread then it should probably be locked :shobon:

i won't bother comparing zelda to any other comics that may or may not have been posted ITT because zelda's merit stands on its own and shouldn't require an existing watermark for justification.
See the problem here is it frequently DOESN'T HAVE "viewpoints, opinions". When it does present a viewpoint or opinion or make a statement of some sort than fine, cool, we can talk about that. But the majority of them are five panels of Zelda slowly booping someone's nose or, like, a punchline of "aren't pants funny?" or whatever. It'd be like posting Cathy to this thread because one time she said "Women should earn the same as men ACK!!" *75 years of yelling about chocolate*.
Also screw you for this part: "understanding and agreeing with author/character intent is a requirement for this thread" because I, in absolutely no way, said anything like this.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Jurgan posted:

Snarky comments about the content are fine. Saying over and over "why is this posted, it's not above my arbitrary threshold of politicalness" adds nothing to the discussion.

:agreed:, I just threw that part in there because Alhazred got mad at me for poking fun at the beefcake fanservice

Duke Igthorn posted:

See the problem here is it frequently DOESN'T HAVE "viewpoints, opinions". When it does present a viewpoint or opinion or make a statement of some sort than fine, cool, we can talk about that. But the majority of them are five panels of Zelda slowly booping someone's nose or, like, a punchline of "aren't pants funny?" or whatever. It'd be like posting Cathy to this thread because one time she said "Women should earn the same as men ACK!!" *75 years of yelling about chocolate*.
Also screw you for this part: "understanding and agreeing with author/character intent is a requirement for this thread" because I, in absolutely no way, said anything like this.

Ironically though we'd devote much less time as a thread to discussing Zelda if people weren't constantly trying to debate its fitness to grace this thread

so be the change you want to see in the world: scroll past it and shut up

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

gently caress off, thanks.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I miss Dick by Dick.

And I really don't like Zelda because it is just random bland space-filler.

but nobody really cares and I just like to post :shobon:

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

The regular "should Zelda be posted" argument is more boring then reading Zelda.

Does anyone here actually read every cartoon posted? I mean, I regularly skip over Prickly City, Rall, and most of the Brittoons.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Lord Hydronium posted:

Oh hey, it's Monday Tuesday:

I like that Red-Blooded Male and Filthy Commie Hippie are drinking buddies.

Spun Dog
Sep 21, 2004

Smellrose

Lord Hydronium posted:

The regular "should Zelda be posted" argument is more boring then reading Zelda.

Does anyone here actually read every cartoon posted? I mean, I regularly skip over Prickly City, Rall, and most of the Brittoons.

I scroll past every Rall so fukken fast. It's gotta be quick or else I start getting a Lovecrafitian unease due to all of the angles out of space.

As to Zelda, seems pretty inoffensive so far with a couple of funny bits.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

So what? Inviting a foreign head of state to an above-board, reasonably-public event and colluding with them secretly to subvert the democratic process are about as different as you can get.

IM DAY DAY IRL
Jul 11, 2003

Everything's fine.

Nothing to see here.

Duke Igthorn posted:

Duke Igthorn posted:

the majority of them are five panels of Zelda slowly booping someone's nose or, like, a punchline of "aren't pants funny?" or whatever.

yeah, you kinda did

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

loquacius posted:

:agreed:, I just threw that part in there because Alhazred got mad at me for poking fun at the beefcake fanservice

Ironically though we'd devote much less time as a thread to discussing Zelda if people weren't constantly trying to debate its fitness to grace this thread

so be the change you want to see in the world: scroll past it and shut up
Who's debating? I'm giving my viewpoint to an open argument. A viewpoint apparently shared by other people. God forbid we talk about the cartoons posted in the political cartoon thread. Considering someone asked why people hate Zelda so much I think answering that question is far more relevant than whining about someone answering an asked question. It's "call and response" not "call and response and the the peanut gallery chimes in to complain that there was a call and then a response". poo poo, "here is an answer to you question" is motherfucking lightyears more helpful than "gently caress off" and you're not complaining about that.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Duke Igthorn posted:

Who's debating? I'm giving my viewpoint to an open argument. A viewpoint apparently shared by other people. God forbid we talk about the cartoons posted in the political cartoon thread. Considering someone asked why people hate Zelda so much I think answering that question is far more relevant than whining about someone answering an asked question. It's "call and response" not "call and response and the the peanut gallery chimes in to complain that there was a call and then a response". poo poo, "here is an answer to you question" is motherfucking lightyears more helpful than "gently caress off" and you're not complaining about that.

It's because literally every other day some idiot Kramers into the thread bitching about the cartoon that is A) inoffensive B) published in newspapers and C) often political.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Zelda would be fine if it didn't look like someone had taken a previously existing comic, whited out all the text, and added new text in MS Paint.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
[quote="“NoEyedSquareGuy”" post="“477025285”"]
Zelda would be fine if it didn’t look like someone had taken a previously existing comic, whited out all the text, and added new text in MS Paint.
[/quote]

That's what's happening. Because it's being translated.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Zelda would be fine if it didn't look like someone had taken a previously existing comic, whited out all the text, and added new text in MS Paint.

fool_of_sound posted:

That's what's happening. Because it's being translated.

Exactly. It's not available in English, it's being translated for us, specifically.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
How do you say "lol" in Finnish?

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Exactly. It's not available in English, it's being translated for us, specifically.

Oh, I thought the author released it in both English and the original language (Swedish?) but wasn't bothering to make the English version look decent. If it's just someone on the forums typing it up that makes more sense.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Dr Cheeto posted:

"'lol' in Finnish."

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

"'lol' in Finnish."

we need a dadjoke smiley

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
Political Cartoons 2017: How do you say "lol" in Finnish?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

loquacius posted:

we need a dadjoke smiley
We have one and that is literally the code for it :dadjoke:

Duke Igthorn
Oct 11, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fool_of_sound posted:

It's because literally every other day some idiot Kramers into the thread bitching about the cartoon that is A) inoffensive B) published in newspapers and C) often political.
And then someone inevitably responds "Why do people hate Zelda so much?????" as if it were some big mystery instead of an easily answered question with a definite answer. *shrug*

Fulchrum
Apr 16, 2013

by R. Guyovich

TheBigAristotle posted:

If we rejected comics based on this standard, there would be no conservative cartoonists to mock.

Stop making it sound attractive.

Jedit posted:

One of the performing artists who was there has already said that a bunch of his crew were packing but they couldn't do a drat thing.

He then came out for gun control, admitting he had previously been against it and apologising for the fact.

According to other threads, this means he should be hated even more than people who still want to protect guns, because he selfishly changed his opinion when he saw he was wrong.

I don't get it either.

loquacius posted:

We had some great times with DBD, but it slowly transformed into the barely-illustrated ravings of a madman and all of us are better off for its absence from our lives

Are you implying it was ever anything but that?

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I was always partial to "Day By Penis".

I still liked Ted Rall discussing Zedds penis.

Keiya posted:

So what? Inviting a foreign head of state to an above-board, reasonably-public event and colluding with them secretly to subvert the democratic process are about as different as you can get.

A reminder that Rall is a paid mouthpiece of Russian propaganda.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse

Dr Cheeto posted:

Vittu lisää viinaa.

"röhönauru" or "nauraa ääneen" for the full expression, "no lol" for the slang

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Lord Hydronium posted:

:agreed:

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Hot take: I don't really care for Zelda, but I read every page of the thread. I just scroll past it for the most part, unless someone points to a strip being particularly interesting. I do get annoyed by the same one or two people who ask why its in the thread every other day and lead off multi page debates of the same points over and over again, but Zelda itself is not bad, and a bunch of people like it.

King Possum III
Feb 15, 2016

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Duke Igthorn posted:

And then someone inevitably responds "Why do people hate Zelda so much?????" as if it were some big mystery instead of an easily answered question with a definite answer. *shrug*

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B35vsgBzMh4

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

hrm, yes, this completely unrelated tragedy is garnering unwanted democrat leeches trying to prevent the spread of guns for some reason, i wonder why

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Not shown: mass shooting occurring outside their window.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Shangri-Law School posted:

Stop :cadfan:-ing DbD, you sick fucks.

How do you take a swing at Hillary Clinton accepting money from all and sundry and gently caress it up so bad? Jesus Christ Ted Rall.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

D.N. Nation posted:

AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

This was a quote from the DbD black guy, too

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

TheBigAristotle posted:

This was a quote from the DbD black guy, too a white guy putting words into a fictional black guy's mouth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

"There was yet another mass shooting and conservatives are saying now is not the time to talk about gun reform"
"Gee, what are the odds..."

• Locked thread