Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Perry Mason Jar posted:

If you are about my age, I presume you are (early 30s), then you have already lived through significant big lies which facilitated the "freedom for security" bargain - not that any of it provided security at all either, mind you - accepted and implemented into society. I just have to wonder how it is you could possibly keep stepping on that rake?

This is a false analogy, the security state does not save lives, covid measures have objectively worked and saved lives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
whether or not you have trust in this or any other particular vaccine at any point in time is beside the point that individuals who do or do not are not to blame for the consequences of the systemic crisis of the healthcare apparatus (which is designed to save lives only as an occasional but fortunate byproduct). blaming the individuals is a desired outcome though for those who designed and maintain this system.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
“lol, loving covidiots deserve it”
*dies from gum disease

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

hot date tonight! posted:

This is a false analogy, the security state does not save lives, covid measures have objectively worked and saved lives.

No we have more hospitalization and death for COVID in the previous month than at the same time last year when everyone was unvaccinated.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Wasn't there a lockdown and restrictions in place last year compared to now?

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Nothing gets past you. US is not the only country in the world, still! I know it's incredible, you can see the same trend in high vaxxed + lockdown (and additional measures) countries.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

The only way to avoid getting COVID at this point is living in or moving to China

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Yes, as countries open up their restrictions more people got hospitalized and died, what are you getting at?

Also I'm not american

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
You're mis-stating me. I did not say anything about opening up restrictions. Countries like Vietnam and other SE countries with high vaccination rates and continued aggressive lockdowns are seeing the same wave as countries with only vaxx in this period.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Yeah, the delta variant wasn't around last year

Edit: is Vietnam having 2k people die a day from covid? I still don't see the point you're trying to make

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Nothing gets past you. US is not the only country in the world, still! I know it's incredible, you can see the same trend in high vaxxed + lockdown (and additional measures) countries.

America has a rate of 2000 deaths per million, Australia has a rate of 48 deaths per million due to covid.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"
Oh, yes a variant. Got it. So what you are advocating for, so we are clear, is mass compulsory vaccination and compulsory boosters, permanent lockdown, permanent masking and social distancing, permanent tracking and control of movement, permanent surveillance, and unilateral power to sequester anyone for health reasons? Because you know as well as I do that there is no mechanism by which to stop variants from occurring, so you are saying these are the things we should do, yes? To avoid a 1.6% aggregate CFR with a hugely pronounced and skewing mortality in the 80+ population (with comobordities)?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Oh, yes a variant. Got it. So what you are advocating for, so we are clear, is mass compulsory vaccination and compulsory boosters, permanent lockdown, permanent masking and social distancing, permanent tracking and control of movement, permanent surveillance, and unilateral power to sequester anyone for health reasons? Because you know as well as I do that there is no mechanism by which to stop variants from occurring, so you are saying these are the things we should do, yes? To avoid a 1.6% aggregate CFR with a hugely pronounced and skewing mortality in the 80+ population (with comobordities)?

basically, yeah. you sound very intelligent. good questions you’re asking.

i didn’t think anyone even talked about social credit score anymore, not even npr. lol

nut
Jul 30, 2019

all that and I am also asking if there is some kind of cage system they can expand from the border to citizens they consider legitimate or the collars from battle royale

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

America has a rate of 2000 deaths per million, Australia has a rate of 48 deaths per million due to covid.

They were able to impose totalitarianism without the need to justify it via mass death. Bully for them - they never had any incentive to actively murder their populations to justify it, you want me to clap?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

please do clap, it’s sad enough it had to be asked once before.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

They were able to impose totalitarianism without the need to justify it via mass death. Bully for them - they never had any incentive to actively murder their populations to justify it, you want me to clap?

Totalitarianism? Get over yourself lol

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

you wouldn't need permanent masking and social distancing if you managed to drive cases to zero

you wouldn't need constant boosters if you managed to drive cases to zero

you wouldn't need tracking-of-movement if you managed to drive cases to zero

"permanent surveillance" largely isn't a part of COVID response

unilateral power to sequester anyone for health reasons is going to be necessary, yes

variants stop occurring if you don't have the virus running rampant and uncontrolled across large segments of the population, so again, this requires that cases are driven to zero

and all of that comes out to - you need to do the masking and the social distancing and the mass testing and the quarantining and the sequestration and the tracking-of-movement in order to drive cases to zero

I suppose it's reasonable to be... not in favor of such practices if some of them are being implemented, but never in a way that's ever going to push cases to zero, also implying that there's a lack of intent on even doing that

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

gradenko_2000 posted:

variants stop occurring if you don't have the virus running rampant and uncontrolled across large segments of the population

:wrong:

This would require that vaccinated people cannot be infected and cannot transmit. Which is not the case.

Implicit in your statement is human population but we know that the virus has many animal vectors. Will you vaccinate the animals?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Covid vaccines lower transmission rates

nut
Jul 30, 2019

is there no virus from history with animal vectors that we have combatted? does the existence of animal vectors mean there is no way to ameliorate anything?

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

This would require that vaccinated people cannot be infected and cannot transmit. Which is not the case.

Implicit in your statement is human population but we know that the virus has many animal vectors. Will you vaccinate the animals?

Humans can't control absolutely everything so we should just let everything run its course and hope for the best I guess

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

nut posted:

is there no virus from history with animal vectors that we have combatted? does the existence of animal vectors mean there is no way to ameliorate anything?

Not for a respiratory airborne virus, no.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

I didn't say that vaccines prevented infection and transmission.

I've said before that you still need the masking, and you still need the social distancing, even for vaccinated people, precisely because of that reason, and that the only acceptable metric for lifting such practices should be based on case counts, not vaccination status.

hot date tonight!
Jan 13, 2009

Slippery Tilde

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Yeah dude, we vaccinate animals all the time. Nearly 100% of livestock in global North countries are vaccinated against dozens of diseases, we also frequently catch and release wild animals and give them medical care including vaccinations.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Humans can't control absolutely everything so we should just let everything run its course and hope for the best I guess

Seems way better than permanent fascist state killing and immiserating and dispossessing the working class eternally so that mostly seniors can add 1.6% to their life expectancy or whatever the gently caress. Yes!

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
pmj all this poo poo you’re on about existed before covid it’s just being noticed by downwardly mobile white people now

nut
Jul 30, 2019

as a not-senior firmly entrenched in that 1.6% risk category, please feel free to ignore my opinions as the glorious future has no space for such biological weakness

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Seems way better than permanent fascist state killing and immiserating and dispossessing the working class eternally so that mostly seniors can add 1.6% to their life expectancy or whatever the gently caress. Yes!

You're right. You know everything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/antifa-member-benjamin-varela-charged-with-shooting-protester/

quote:

Varela is a member of the forums at website Something Awful using the screen name “Doorknob Slobber.” He has a long history of making extremist posts and has been suspended repeatedly by the moderators. In a 2017 thread discussing Antifa’s organizational structure, Varela wrote, “I think it has something to do with … remaining decentralized in an effort to create cells instead of an organization structure that is easily targeted by law enforcement and other fascists.”

Benjamin Anthony Varela was charged with first-degree assault while armed with a deadly weapon shortly after the protest.

At the beginning of the pandemic in March 2020, Varela wrote: “Start hurting people, the coronavirus is going to provide great cover for a real revolution.” He called for people to take up arms. The same month, he posted a rant wishing that both conservatives and liberals die of the coronavirus. In 2018, he wrote, “9/11 was good because the US is a Nazi state so we deserved it.”

I can't even make an "all right which one of you was this" joke because lol lmao

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

The Chad Jihad posted:

Covid vaccines lower transmission rates

gradenko_2000 posted:

I didn't say that vaccines prevented infection and transmission.

I've said before that you still need the masking, and you still need the social distancing, even for vaccinated people, precisely because of that reason, and that the only acceptable metric for lifting such practices should be based on case counts, not vaccination status.

Yeah dude, we vaccinate animals all the time. Nearly 100% of livestock in global North countries are vaccinated against dozens of diseases, we also frequently catch and release wild animals and give them medical cafe including vaccinations.

We are talking about mutations. Non-zero transmission means mutations occur. We do vaccinate animals and we have a hard time with respiratory viruses in animals precisely because it is extremely difficult to vaccinate against them, they are constantly having to churn out new anti-virals and breeding vaccine-resistant virus all the while. But we are not just concerned with livestock. And the vanishingly small proportion of animals we can capture and release does not at all represent the population of wildlife that are vectors for the virus.

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

Centrist Committee posted:

pmj all this poo poo you’re on about existed before covid it’s just being noticed by downwardly mobile white people now

Correct. But you're implying it's impossible for things to get worse for all members of the working class and I am not.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The actual life expectancy change from covid so far in the US: White people lost 0.68 years of lifespan, Black people lost 2.10 years of lifespan, Latino people lost 3.05 years of lifespan.

Zhulik
Nov 14, 2012

The Montreal Star

gradenko_2000 posted:

https://nypost.com/2021/09/27/antifa-member-benjamin-varela-charged-with-shooting-protester/

I can't even make an "all right which one of you was this" joke because lol lmao

domestic gladio has come for cspam at last

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

gradenko_2000 posted:

lmao

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Perry Mason Jar posted:

We are talking about mutations. Non-zero transmission means mutations occur.

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure a virus can't mutate itself into a form that can penetrate an N95

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

gradenko_2000 posted:

I'm not a scientist but I'm pretty sure a virus can't mutate itself into a form that can penetrate an N95

good thing CDC still recommends you do not wear one. lol

this is why freaking out at individuals for having wrong covid thoughts is so absurd. the complete expert system has failed us, huge loving shocker there isn't a unified opinion when the experts cant stop saying bullshit like "dont wear n95 masks"

Perry Mason Jar
Feb 24, 2006

"Della? Take a lid"

gradenko_2000 posted:

So your answer to permanent masking is an emphatic yes. Okay. I wonder why you believe we can distribute and ensure the proper use of N95 masks for 7.9 billion people. I also wonder why you are unconcerned with the developmental effects - socially and linguistically - of masking in young children.

Edit; can you make n95s clear or is it just gently caress every deaf person everywhere forever?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Zhulik posted:

domestic gladio has come for cspam at last

Aberration in the Heartland of the Internet

The Jeffrey Method

:thunk: Tank Aesthetics

and of course,

The Devil's Subforum

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Perry Mason Jar posted:

So your answer to permanent masking is an emphatic yes. Okay. I wonder why you believe we can distribute and ensure the proper use of N95 masks for 7.9 billion people. I also wonder why you are unconcerned with the developmental effects - socially and linguistically - of masking in young children.

He isn't advocating that. You should try reading his posts before replying to them