Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I missed a call from the network position I've been working on and it was too late to call them back, but from the sound of the voicemail I'm going to get called in for an in person interview.

Every step of this process I've thought I've hosed up, but they keep moving me forward. Either I'm better than I think I am or everyone I'm competing against is poo poo. Oh God the imposter syndrome is hitting me already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

siggy2021 posted:

I missed a call from the network position I've been working on and it was too late to call them back, but from the sound of the voicemail I'm going to get called in for an in person interview.

Every step of this process I've thought I've hosed up, but they keep moving me forward. Either I'm better than I think I am or everyone I'm competing against is poo poo. Oh God the imposter syndrome is hitting me already.

Its really all about energy. Be as well spoken as possible and emphasis that a good attitude means everything to you. Experience and technical knowledge is just slightly less important for most hiring managers.

Be the coolest version of yourself. Charisma, without crossing the line into annoying or corny.

milk milk lemonade
Jul 29, 2016
I got my last position by basically saying 'I'm not going to gently caress around, interview me and give me an offer ASAP cause I have other offers already (which was true)' and they hurried their asses up and it worked out real nice for both parties.

Not sure it would always work but I'm sure as hell going to do the same thing next time cause it saved me a ton of time.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I like to turn it more into a conversation about what they do, what I've done, what we're interested in, and how I can help their team. It might be a bit more challenging in lower-level positions where they're looking more for rote knowledge of stuff, but it certainly makes them empathize with you more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I work for a small manufacturing company in the Midwest. People don't know any better.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sickening posted:

It was a very healthy 6 figures plus 5 weeks pto. I also got some really nice flexible spending account sums paid for by the company plus wfh options I wanted.

They basically gave me anything I asked for and more, which left me thinking I could have been greedier.

:yotj:

Nicely done! Super jealous.

Siggy.
I went through the same last year. Every single interview at this company. I thought I hosed up somehow. Especially on the third technical interview where it was 6PM my time and I started to blank out on some questions I should have known the answer too.
Still got an offer. and I decided to see if i could push it a little bit more and asked them to take over my €4000+ study costs I still had.

I asked my boss recently what made him hire me. "you are well spoken. value teamwork and you know powershell"

I also owe this thread a beer for the advice i got back then!
Happy at my job now.

To add:
What some seniors told me. experience and knowledge doesn't mean as much as attitude. You can learn everything but if you have the wrong attitude. then it's not going to work out.

Dog_Meat
May 19, 2013

Sickening posted:

Its really all about energy. Be as well spoken as possible and emphasis that a good attitude means everything to you. Experience and technical knowledge is just slightly less important for most hiring managers.

Be the coolest version of yourself. Charisma, without crossing the line into annoying or corny.

You spend more time at work than you do with your family. In an interview I'm always myself up front because I don't want to have to pretend to be someone else for a huge chunk of my life. Also, the interviewers are pretty much sick of the usual "team player challenge" keywords so it's a relief for them to just speak with someone who is an actual functioning human. My current awesome job was actually a little over my head in terms of my knowledge and experience, but I was able to identify my weaknesses with confidence and show an attitude that I was looking to learn quickly.

Remember - an interview goes both ways. As soon as my future manager was laughing in the interview at a random war story I knew I wanted in

Sefal posted:

What some seniors told me. experience and knowledge doesn't mean as much as attitude. You can learn everything but if you have the wrong attitude. then it's not going to work out.

This is so true. Every place I worked has been about hiring the person and training the skills (obviously with relevant experience so we know they have the foundation to build on). When I was interviewing new hires we had a list of questions, but they were more talking points because I didn't expect an exam style answer. I wanted to hear their thinking process.

We would also throw in a random silly question to see how they responded to humour. My favourite was "so who would win a fight out of a badger and an otter?". How they responded to this was more important than if they knew some obscure acronyms.

(The guy that got the job answered "is the fight on land or water and are weapons allowed?")

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Finished huge datacenter migration and now the appops team is nowhere to be found. Been calling various people for an hour. Ain't that the friggin way. Uh, so, whenever you guys come online, there's a whole datacenter of applications to be started and validated, so uh, take your time.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Finished huge datacenter migration and now the appops team is nowhere to be found. Been calling various people for an hour. Ain't that the friggin way. Uh, so, whenever you guys come online, there's a whole datacenter of applications to be started and validated, so uh, take your time.

Have you checked the shipping boxes to make sure they weren't packed away too in the migration? :ohdear:

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Now that got me giggling. :)

I did have one weird conversation with someone in their chain of command, though. I let him know his team was unreachable, and...

Him: "What do you want me to do about it?"
Internal monologue: "As their manager, find them or I will have your job by the end of the week"
Me: "I need you to start placing phone calls as we don't have the knowledge on the bridge to work through the issue"

There are few things that grate me more than getting attitude from the person you're calling. Hey, did my waking you up inconvenience you? Guess what, the only way I can call you right now is if I myself was already awake, so guess where you can put that attitude. e: It's actually for this very reason that if you call me at 3am about an outage, I'm going to sound surprisingly cheery. Why? Because you've already been banging your head against it for an hour before you said let's call Stripe, do you really need me trying to sound smug and superior too? "Hey bud what's up sure let me take a look" is the only thing you need to be hearing after you've run out of ideas.

MC Fruit Stripe fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Aug 10, 2017

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

There are few things that grate me more than getting attitude from the person you're calling. Hey, did my waking you up inconvenience you? Guess what, the only way I can call you right now is if I myself was already awake, so guess where you can put that attitude. e: It's actually for this very reason that if you call me at 3am about an outage, I'm going to sound surprisingly cheery. Why? Because you've already been banging your head against it for an hour before you said let's call Stripe, do you really need me trying to sound smug and superior too? "Hey bud what's up sure let me take a look" is the only thing you need to be hearing after you've run out of ideas.

Now this is why I always think I'd like working for/with you. Unless someones got a habit of calling you for stupid reasons, then just smile and get it done.
Also, may be YOTJ soon(ish) - wife's incredibly done with her job, and a new job for her will 99% chance entail a move and a new job for me. But I feel much more comfortable that I'm not actually an idiot with the last years worth of awesomeness. Not a 100% chance I'll have to move on, but it will be what it will be.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Back when I used to do that stuff I made it clear that teams who didn't have people available to test during the maintenance window would get best effort support starting at 9AM on Monday. Not good enough? Then have someone online to test.

siggy2021
Mar 8, 2010
I guess looking back at the over the phone technical screening with the infrastructure manager , I blanked out and felt like I was mumbling incoherent poo poo and at one point I had no idea what the guy was even talking about. On the other hand we went about 15 minutes over the scheduled time and ended the conversation bitching about how much we hate AT&T and swapping stories about dealing with their customer service.

I think the thing that is freaking me out about it is this would be babbys first specialized it job. Right now I do a little bit of everything and the vast majority of the stuff is not critical on any way. This new place is it focused and the network and infrastructure is critical to the business, and I'm going to be the lone guy taking care of it. There is a lot of stuff they are looking for that I'm weak on or know nothing about, but I'm fairly confident I can learn it and I was up front and honest about that.

I guess it's just a looming fear that I'm going to take the job then immediately gently caress everything up. From this thread I know that's normal and I need to just not worry about it.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

It's okay dude, everybody thinks they hosed up their interview. I thought I bombed out super bad in the first skype interview for the position I'm going for but apparently they were "really impressed" by me. I even blanked out and couldn't remember their names when I was sending the thank you note.

You gotta remember that a lot of times a successful interview is about being the least worst. I can assure you that there are going to be people that interview that are just garbage.

Woogles
Mar 23, 2007

hello
Possible-kinda :yotj:

My employer's drawing up a change of contract terms and preparing to sort out work visas so I can relocate to their HO. I earn a decent amount where I currently am, and they've said they'll basically "convert the salary over." Now this is gonna be one of two things:

- They pay me a functionally equivalent salary to maintain standards of living, or:
- They do a straight currency conversion which will make it pointless.

If #1 then great, if #2 then I'm not gonna be happy because they're taking the piss and I KNOW what I can earn over there.

IF #2 happens, does anyone have any tips on how I can tactfully phrase "Look, you'd be underpaying me and I know the market rate there" to try and increase the offer? If they screw me around too much then I'll just abandon the idea and go earn more elsewhere, but I don't really want that.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

siggy2021 posted:

I guess it's just a looming fear that I'm going to take the job then immediately gently caress everything up. From this thread I know that's normal and I need to just not worry about it.
This is basically me right now "Oh god what if I've actually been a complete yahoo fraud all along", perspective helps by standing up and walking/gazing around watching people beavering away doing their jobs and thinking "Well all this poo poo still works so I must be doing something right".

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
You guys are so backwards. I will take any job up the ladder you're willing to give me, and I will spend the weekend before I start googling "how to CIO". Whether I'm qualified for a job is inconsequential, the only thing I care about is whether you'll give it to me.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I've come to think that the reason for all the Impostor Syndrome-like effects is due to our education (I'm speaking for me, don't know about anyone else) being pretty well-planned.

Up until I worked and started going up the corporate ladder, I felt prepared for anything I had to do, people taught me how it's done. Doing an exam? Here's what you have to work on, this is how all of this poo poo works.

That absolutely ends in most companies - You're going to be a manager? Good luck! Of course there's still school you can attend for many specific things (Project Management, etc) but overall you're all by yourself. So, when you do something, even if you're as prepared as you can be, you're never going to trust yourself as much as you did back when someone with authority told you how it's done/how it works. It's pretty much self-learning all the way to the top.

This didn't happen much with previous generations, self-learning was as good as you were going to get with most stuff, so they probably didn't pay much attention to the day-to-day poo poo they did without being 100% sure of what and how to do.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

You guys are so backwards. I will take any job up the ladder you're willing to give me, and I will spend the weekend before I start googling "how to CIO". Whether I'm qualified for a job is inconsequential, the only thing I care about is whether you'll give it to me.

I tell people to use the 25% rule: if you only meet 25% of the qualifications in the listing, apply anyway. Those things are wish lists and anyone who meets all of the qualifications wouldn't be applying for the job in the first place.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

psydude posted:

I tell people to use the 25% rule: if you only meet 25% of the qualifications in the listing, apply anyway. Those things are wish lists and anyone who meets all of the qualifications wouldn't be applying for the job in the first place.

That's my biggest problem. I want to meet 75% or more before I feel comfortable applying to jobs, and I know that's stupid and I should stop worrying about it. Worst case is I don't get a call and wasted a bit of my time.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

That's my biggest problem. I want to meet 75% or more before I feel comfortable applying to jobs, and I know that's stupid and I should stop worrying about it. Worst case is I don't get a call and wasted a bit of my time.

This is totally me.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

drat I had to scramble to get a few more references this morning after the university requested five. I only had three. Wound up giving them six after making some calls.

gently caress, who has that many references on tap at any given time???

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
I certainly don't. I generally have 2 I hand out, up to 4 upon request. I could probably squeeze out 5 but goddamn.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
poo poo I don't think I even know 5 people

But if they're asking for 5 references you can pretty much count that job as yours.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

My start date isn't even until the 21st, but the perks have already started rolling in. My new team is having their bi-monthly scheduled lunch delivered today and the CIO asked if I wanted to have some delivered to me as well. I guess I don't have to eat the left over sandwich for lunch. :signings:

Vargatron posted:

drat I had to scramble to get a few more references this morning after the university requested five. I only had three. Wound up giving them six after making some calls.

gently caress, who has that many references on tap at any given time???

I have friends I give fake references for. We need our own goon reference line.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Just let me know when you're able to go to the work provided brothel.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Judge Schnoopy posted:

But if they're asking for 5 references you can pretty much count that job as yours.

That's the hope, they had me enter them from a web portal that apparently sends out surveys to all the references, and potentially a follow up phone call.

For managerial references I used an old Plant Manager and a CEO of a consultancy firm.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Yes. Consider this part of the background check process. If someone is spending this time to call your references, you are the only person they are going forward with.

GreenNight posted:

Just let me know when you're able to go to the work provided brothel.

Maybe something for the company suggestion box?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Sickening posted:

My start date isn't even until the 21st, but the perks have already started rolling in. My new team is having their bi-monthly scheduled lunch delivered today and the CIO asked if I wanted to have some delivered to me as well. I guess I don't have to eat the left over sandwich for lunch. :signings:

I have friends I give fake references for. We need our own goon reference line.

This could be fun.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

psydude posted:

Same. If I meet most of your qualifications then I don't want the job because I'm overqualified and would get bored inside of 10 minutes.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
I'm having to eat crow because I skipped over some basic troubleshooting steps and followed a red herring down to Nowheresville.

User reported being unable to connect to his desktop remotely using VPN when at his apartment - he could remote in while on-premises. So could I. On a day when I was taking my lunch off-site, I agreed to test my ability to remote into his machine while he was there, and was successful. Problem identified: talk to your ISP because no one else has this problem, I can remote in from another network, thus the unique variable has been identified, etc.

He talks to them, they do... something, problem persists. Also, he's in and out of town and traveling to Europe and thus is unable to schedule times for us to troubleshoot the problem with a tech on-site while he attempts to remote in.

Skipping over several emails, I finally go back to his office (at this point I'm convinced that his computer is for some reason going into hibernation despite the power settings all being correct, because networking showed me logs where the interface his machine was connected to was turning off) and he has a goddamn off-the-shelf Linksys switch hiding behind his desk because of all the crap he has networked, including his own NAS. That switch, in turn, is powered via the top wall outlet which is brilliantly configured to drop power when the office is unoccupied.

It's even odds as to whether someone in IT put that switch there or not, but I'd like to think not, because we wouldn't have plugged it into the "green" wall outlet.

This will be a fun email.

(Yes, I'm fully aware that the fact that my workplace can sometimes have retail switches in people's offices is terrible and begging for trouble. I've gotten rid of almost all of them since I started.)

mewse
May 2, 2006

Japanese Dating Sim posted:

(Yes, I'm fully aware that the fact that my workplace can sometimes have retail switches in people's offices is terrible and begging for trouble. I've gotten rid of almost all of them since I started.)

Get cabling done for his office

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

mewse posted:

Get cabling done for his office

Yeah, that should absolutely happen. But because of reasons, it's won't - the switch will stay. I very much want this to not be the case but the people who spend the money won't foot the bill.

But hey, I'll ask if only to be on record for making the request.

mewse
May 2, 2006

Emphasize how much time you are wasting chasing your tail because the network hasn't been built properly. All switching equipment should be in the rack, not under random user's desks

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

mewse posted:

Emphasize how much time you are wasting chasing your tail because the network hasn't been built properly. All switching equipment should be in the rack, not under random user's desks

And a nas shouldn't either!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

What the hell is a rack?

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Run both those power supplies from the same desktop UPS as well :cool:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Thanks Ants posted:

Run both those power supplies from the same desktop UPS as well :cool:

God those loving things fail so often. Just changing out the batteries and poo poo in them must be a pain in the rear end.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Never work at a university if you want work in an environment wherein you're able to enforce policies. "I have tenure" / "Let's ask the dean about that" basically ends any discussion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

GreenNight posted:

What the hell is a rack?

I often have to work in industrial spaces and have seen some interesting improvisation by building engineers and mechanic types. Sometimes it's clever and sometimes it's frightening and sometimes it's both.