Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

Game writing has improved tremendously over even the last few years and some of the most moving experiences I've had in any media have come from them. People hold up books as some kind of ultimate standard of artistic expression, but I read a lot of books too and I can tell you most aren't any better in terms of conveying big ideas.

try reading some good books maybe?? 🤔

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

fridge corn posted:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

exquisite tea posted:

Game writing has improved tremendously over even the last few years and some of the most moving experiences I've had in any media have come from them. People hold up books as some kind of ultimate standard of artistic expression, but I read a lot of books too and I can tell you most aren't any better in terms of conveying big ideas.

I agree with you about game writing, but I think literacy standards have changed with their associated medium. Audiences just aren't reading early-mid 20th Century stream-of-consciousness fiction like they used to, possibly because they've lost some of that ability on a broad cultural scale or possibly because daily living has become so pluralistic and fractured that it's hard to read longform without getting interrupted. I only read difficult stuff when I'm abroad.

So basically what I'm saying is that literature, on the whole, ain't what it used to be. Books like 1984 will always be popular because the accessibility of their language works perfectly in tandem with a complex idea, but how common is it to see someone reading Joyce or Lowry anymore unless it's for a class?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

fridge corn posted:

I've read a lot of good books actually! What was the last book you've read?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think I know anyone my age or younger that's read 1984 for any reason other than it was required by school tbh

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I think it’s harder to tell compelling stories in an interactive medium without compromising the player’s engagement.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Horizon did a pretty drat good job of it.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Manatee Cannon posted:

I don't think I know anyone my age or younger that's read 1984 for any reason other than it was required by school tbh
Diversify your social circles.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

Today I just finished Beauty is a Wound by Eka Kurniawan and it was okay just okay. I was expecting more from it tbh but it may have suffered from a fairly wooden translation idk. Before that I read Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai and it was excellent. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite authors

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
How good are the mods for skyrim? I'm mainly interested in added gear mods, or survival mods, things like that.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Boogalo posted:

Horizon did a pretty drat good job of it.

They sort of cheated by making that drat good story entirely removed from the player's actions. No one praises Horizon for the post-apocalypse storylines.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

fridge corn posted:

Today I just finished Beauty is a Wound by Eka Kurniawan and it was okay just okay. I was expecting more from it tbh but it may have suffered from a fairly wooden translation idk. Before that I read Satantango by Laszlo Krasznahorkai and it was excellent. He's quickly becoming one of my favourite authors

I mostly read nonfiction. I just finished Scott Jurek's half-ultrarunning, half-vegan cookbook Eat & Run and am looking forward to North, his memoir on completing almost the entire Appalachian trail on a busted quad last year. His books ostensibly concern running but are really more about the psychology and mental fortitude of an endurance athlete. It's due out in April.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

haveblue posted:

They sort of cheated by making that drat good story entirely removed from the player's actions. No one praises Horizon for the post-apocalypse storylines.

The past is event driven while the current is character driven. A woman searching for her mom and where her place is in the world is pretty good stuff. The past events you uncover would only work in this setting because you are experiencing what their conclusion was and how tragic some things turned out.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

exquisite tea posted:

The Old Man and the Sea for me.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

exquisite tea posted:

The Count of Monte Cristo. So good.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

exquisite tea posted:

I mostly read nonfiction. I just finished Scott Jurek's half-ultrarunning, half-vegan cookbook Eat & Run and am looking forward to North, his memoir on completing almost the entire Appalachian trail on a busted quad last year. His books ostensibly concern running but are really more about the psychology and mental fortitude of an endurance athlete. It's due out in April.

Yeah, I like to read non-fiction too. I just started Doughnut Economics by Kate Raworth. However, I don't know if the emotional profundity of fiction and non-fiction, regardless of medium, is purposefully comparable.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Most recent first-time read was the collected first three novels of Le Guin's Hainish Cycle. Most recent read that would be considered "real" literature was probably The Name of the Rose.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

The last memorable book I finished that isn't an essay collection is The Stories of Your Life and Others, which is easily one of the best short story collections I've ever read, not to mention some of the best sci-fi.

Playstation4: I've read a lot of good books actually! What was the last book you've read?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read the first novel in Elena Ferrante's Neapolitan series a while ago and really liked it so I got the second one and it has been sitting unopened on top of a pile of other books for ten months. I am a bad reader.

The book I'm currently reading is an academic technical history of the Nintendo Entertainment system. Did you know that there were dozens of Donkey Kong clones, including Crazy Kong, Konkey Kong, Congorilla, Kongo Kong, and Donkey King

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Hello there.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

The Count of Monte Cristo would make a pretty sick Assassin's Creed game, basically.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Im supposed to read this as part of some reading challenge thread in the book barn but I just haven't got around to it 😑

revolther
May 27, 2008

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

yeah if you enjoy something without at least three layers of ironic self contempt between you and it you should probably just die
This; but unironically.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Yakuza 0 is the best story ever told

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

fridge corn posted:

Im supposed to read this as part of some reading challenge thread in the book barn but I just haven't got around to it 😑

Treat yourself.

Then again, I just might be biased.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Real hurthling! posted:

Yakuza 0 is the best story ever told

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Imo game writing has vastly improved over the last 7 or 8 years and there actually a lot of pretty well written games now. The story is still often at odds with the gameplay, or at the very least the gameplay doesn't really serve the story. I think using the medium well to tell a good story is the biggest thing that the industry has to tackle.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

exquisite tea posted:

It's been a while since I actually finished something but the last ones where The Nest(Really great) and the Southern Reach books(Don't know if I'd reccomend them to someone but I enjoyed).

I began Mistborn which I really didn't like but I'm trying to power through because I bought a box with all three and I don't want it to be a waste. Also trying 2666 on my sister's kindle, which is actually really interesting.

Should be reading more but gaming keeps getting in the way.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Samuringa posted:

I began Mistborn which I really didn't like but I'm trying to power through because I bought a box with all three and I don't want it to be a waste. Also trying 2666 on my sister's kindle, which is actually really interesting.

Mistborn suffers quite a bit from what is commonly known as "The Sanderson Avalanche", where you feel jack poo poo happens during the first 2/3rds of the book and then you reach a point where poo poo hits the fan and just can't put it down until you finish it.

They're not flawless, but I really enjoyed the original trilogy. The new one not so much so far.

If you like Sanderson's style check out his short novellas, Legion is really good and The Emperor's Soul in particular is a lovely, lovely read.

acksplode
May 17, 2004

Last book I read was The Handmaid's Tale back in August, and I only finished half because that's where I was at when my flight landed. I read only one book last year, a Le Carre novel that someone mentioned in the Metal Gear thread. Video games and the internet have ruined my brain lol. My media diet for the rest of my life is gonna be internet posts, news articles, and dad games.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Edmond Dantes posted:

Mistborn suffers quite a bit from what is commonly known as "The Sanderson Avalanche", where you feel jack poo poo happens during the first 2/3rds of the book and then you reach a point where poo poo hits the fan and just can't put it down until you finish it.

They're not flawless, but I really enjoyed the original trilogy. The new one not so much so far.

If you like Sanderson's style check out his short novellas, Legion is really good and The Emperor's Soul in particular is a lovely, lovely read.

there's a new mistborn trilogy? how does that work with the ending to the first one

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I'd really rather just consume trash media over reading a good book at this point in my life. I used to feel guilty about it, but I don't really give a poo poo anymore. I haven't touched a book in 3 years.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I only read when commuting or traveling these days

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Video game writing is ok, and the medium has done some very interesting stuff over the years in melding gameplay + narrative. I don't think it's fair to call it all trash; I think that, proportionally, there's about as much dross as any other multi-person artistic undertaking. One of the things that help novels be great is that they are, largely, one-person affairs. The intent can't be diluted as easily, the style and strength shines brighter, etc.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

haveblue posted:

I only read when commuting or traveling these days

I prefer to read late at night to playing games, I get tired and most of them require too much of my active attention.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

I'd really rather just consume trash media over reading a good book at this point in my life. I used to feel guilty about it, but I don't really give a poo poo anymore. I haven't touched a book in 3 years.

How about a trash book then?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
My latest read was American Gods. Really slow to get going and filled with seemingly unrelated ministories, but it all came together in a pretty satisfying way.

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe

Sakurazuka posted:

I talk about games with the guy I know at work who plays games.

He has a Switch but hasn't bought Mario yet :psyduck:

Eh. I have a switch and haven't picked up Mario yet.
I will eventually though.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Andrast posted:

How about a trash book then?

Actually now that I'm thinking about it I have read a few and they were all trashy rock star biopics. I guess it's fiction I've lost interest in.

I do actually like reading fiction. there is just so much good media permeating everything now and books require the most effort. there' always so many movies and shows I want to watch and games I want to play, poo poo posts I want to make... and it's all easier than making my add rear end devote a week to quietly reading a book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Manatee Cannon posted:

there's a new mistborn trilogy? how does that work with the ending to the first one

It jumps ~300 years in the future, so you have a pseudo-Victorian era setting; mistborns are no more, but now you have twinborns, which may have one allomantic power and one ferruchemichal one (the Terris descendants) so, in proper Sanderson fashion, the power combinations get funky.

It's not bad, but it's not grabbing me the way the first trilogy did, and it's nowhere close to Stormlight Archives in quality.

Edmond Dantes fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 3, 2017