Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DepletedUranium
Feb 18, 2007

Sigh...
Interesting article on that Eisenhower/Hawkeye cable snap:

http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/07/11/navy-human-error-blame-cable-break-that-injured-eight-sailors.html?ESRC=navy-a_160713.nl

Looks like a few deck personnel "arrested" the recoiling cable with their legs. That's gotta hurt. Also a "phenomenal airmanship" credit to the Hawkeye crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Bulgaroctonus posted:

Does a steady diet of Steel Reserve, OE if necessary, count ?

NO.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

DepletedUranium posted:

This is the answer to your question:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIM-120_AMRAAM#Ground-launched_systems

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AN/TWQ-1_Avenger

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M163_VADS

Not sure why we don't have a mobile RIM-161 (SM-3) missile system built into a cargo container. It could be land based, truck based, or even sit on any kind of ship.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
So just how delusional is this?

quote:

a new fighter F22 E (exports) post 2020-22. to be purchased by only handful of nations (5 in numbers as of now with Japan and India and 3 others with limited purchases)

The guy makes a lot of tall claims and I haven't seen any become proven by reality so far, and I'm sure if he were really as in the loop as he pretends he'd be a little more non-disclosing. I figured y'all would enjoy talks about a Monkey Model F-22 being offered to India.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

B4Ctom1 posted:

Not sure why we don't have a mobile RIM-161 (SM-3) missile system built into a cargo container. It could be land based, truck based, or even sit on any kind of ship.

We do, sorta. It isn't mobile though, there's just way too much stuff to move without it all being attached to a ship.

wkarma
Jul 16, 2010
Don't forget LAV-AD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XooFmPUt6aA

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

bewbies posted:

We do, sorta. It isn't mobile though, there's just way too much stuff to move without it all being attached to a ship.

We showed this to Israel. They liked it so much that they said no and designed a complete system with similar capabilities, more flexibility, and different operations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

B4Ctom1 posted:

SM-3 isn't exactly a self-contained unit. You'd need another cargo container with a SPY-1, another with all the datalinks and C3 equipment, another with the operator stations, then more space to provide power for all that, and pretty soon you might as well just package it all into some kind of guided missile... boat thingy.

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde

Wingnut Ninja posted:

SM-3 isn't exactly a self-contained unit. You'd need another cargo container with a SPY-1, another with all the datalinks and C3 equipment, another with the operator stations, then more space to provide power for all that, and pretty soon you might as well just package it all into some kind of guided missile... boat thingy.

I suspected. Thanks.

DepletedUranium
Feb 18, 2007

Sigh...

B4Ctom1 posted:

None of these share the combat record of this man's namesake system:

iyaayas01
Feb 19, 2010

Perry'd

Cat Mattress posted:

The guy makes a lot of tall claims and I haven't seen any become proven by reality so far, and I'm sure if he were really as in the loop as he pretends he'd be a little more non-disclosing. I figured y'all would enjoy talks about a Monkey Model F-22 being offered to India.

lol he's claiming that India is going to be the global depot facility for F-16s? Pretty sure there's a couple billion dollars worth of infrastructure sitting down the road from me in Utah that would make that point a little irrelevant.

Of course this is claiming to just be talks between the govt and LM, so I'm sure that LM is promising the government a whole bunch of different things.......but based on previous performance, unless the government's negotiators are getting a whole bunch of money in swiss bank accounts they shouldn't believe a word that is coming out of a LM negotiator's mouth. For starters I don't see how it would even be possible to produce a monkey-model Raptor, the sensitive stuff is wholly integrated into the overall design. And as that post alludes to, that discussion is a moot point until the Senate changes the law....which I don't see happening any time soon for a variety of reasons.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Cat Mattress posted:

India? Why not sell it to Russia and China directly.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

That was an excellent short story

DepletedUranium
Feb 18, 2007

Sigh...

bewbies posted:

Seriously though if anyone has any bright ideas about a mobile, tactical air defense system let me know

Near as I can tell, back in the '80s the Army got all crotch swollen about this:

But instead of just building a NATO ZSU we got poo poo that was something between this:

and this:

And none of it works.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

Enourmo posted:

Wait, is it actually Robotech, or the original Macross?

I'm curious if the Americanized version got translated.

Honestly not sure, but probably a translated form of the American version.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

DepletedUranium posted:

Near as I can tell, back in the '80s the Army got all crotch swollen about this:

But instead of just building a NATO ZSU we got poo poo that was something between this:

and this:

And none of it works.

Makes US decks pretty garbage in wargame too, p. embarrassing really.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

There was also the M6 Linebacker.

The Army almost ended up adopting the Euromissile Roland (as the MIM-115) in the 80s, but it ended up too expensive due to "improvements" and they were only operated by a single National Guard unit between 1983-1988 (IIRC) because a handful of launchers had already been built. Probably about the closest the US has ever come to operating a proper short-range missile system!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/1984/08/28/improved-missile-too-costly-for-pentagon/d3cc6b34-6b28-4e49-8675-0e3f074ffcec/

quote:

In 1975, after a six-year search for an effective antiaircraft weapon, the U.S. Army took a European missile that worked reasonably well and began an improvement program that eventually would make it too expensive for the Pentagon to buy.

Nine years and $1.3 billion later, the program has been canceled because of costs, but the missile is still in production because of contracts signed years ago. The Defense Department would like to give the missiles away but can't, and the Army still doesn't have the short-range antiaircraft system it has been trying to develop since 1969.

quote:

The United States has considered selling the Rolands, giving them to another country, mothballing them or sending them to Canada, Norway or West Germany. All options are on hold.

"The Germans are not excited about getting these back," the Army officer said.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I often wondered how the ADATS was, but I'm guessing probably pretty bleh. Something for both anti-air and anti-tank sounds like a real cost saver but in the end it probably kinda sucked at both.

Dollar cost wise they're probably reeeeeeally expensive for the anti-tank role, per missile.

Bulgaroctonus
Dec 31, 2008

I was wondering the same thing. The answer is evidently holy poo poo, it's much worse than you can possibly imagine.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

simplefish posted:

That was an excellent short story

The most impressive part is where it was wholly written by a goon and still it's pretty great.

Now go read Charles Stross' A Colder War.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

What in the name of gently caress is this thing, it looks rad

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

feedmegin posted:

What in the name of gently caress is this thing, it looks rad
As far as I can tell, it's a photoshop of a (twin-barreled) prototype of the 2S35 Koalitsiya-SV 152mm SPG. The production model only has one barrel.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

I read a funny story somewhere about the air defense woes of the Bundeswehr where they, due to the retirement of Gepard, had to notionally shanghai the Romanian Gepard battalion for some war game because otherwise they would've had bupkis.

Last operator of Gepard apparently:

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Don't the French have any AA tanks?

Also, Boris Johnson, a man who makes Jeremy Clarkson look like Ban Kai-moon, is the UK's new foreign secretary. Good luck with that.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

What about Starstreak in the SHORAD role?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstreak

It's apparently very well regarded in the British Army. Although since it's predecessor was Rapier, that's less impressive than it might sound.

Gervasius
Nov 2, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Nebakenezzer posted:

Don't the French have any AA tanks?

They have some truck-mounted Mistrals and tracked Crotale launchers.

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

Deptfordx posted:

What about Starstreak in the SHORAD role?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starstreak

It's apparently very well regarded in the British Army. Although since it's predecessor was Rapier, that's less impressive than it might sound.

Doesn't differ much from Stinger or any other SHORAD package, which is already in service, sometimes on mobile platforms even. You need a bigger missile to increase the dead zone.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

B4Ctom1 posted:

I don't think a mobile radar system was ever paired with it. I'm actually not sure how far Aegis Ashore got, but it sure as hell didn't get miniaturized enough for a truck. They could certainly pair a smaller, portable radar with it, but $$$. And I'm actually not sure if we even have an appropriate radar in service. Off the top of my head I can't think of one. Give it a miniature TPS-75 or something, and program to accept off-board cueing and you've got a very good platform.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe
Rough requirements for a modern mobile air defense platform:

- Protected against fragments and rounds up to 14.5mm
- Tactical mobility comparable to current MBT/IFV
- NOT C-130 capable
- Slant range of at least 20km with at least a 4 engagement magazine
- Integrated, directional EW
- Network integrated

In addition, "nice to haves":
- Integrated radar/sensor
- Limited CRAM capability
- Deep magazines

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist yet anywhere, Pantsir is probably closest. Will probably require missile and gun (or laser lol) combo.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

iyaayas01 posted:

lol he's claiming that India is going to be the global depot facility for F-16s? Pretty sure there's a couple billion dollars worth of infrastructure sitting down the road from me in Utah that would make that point a little irrelevant.

Yeah, but that's all going to shift to F-35 in the next few years. As the US divests itself of active Vipers I could see India taking over. Somebody's gonna have to.

Edit: We're probably at the point where "lol laser" is just :goonsay:

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

bewbies posted:

Rough requirements for a modern mobile air defense platform:

- Protected against fragments and rounds up to 14.5mm
- Tactical mobility comparable to current MBT/IFV
- NOT C-130 capable
- Slant range of at least 20km with at least a 4 engagement magazine
- Integrated, directional EW
- Network integrated

In addition, "nice to haves":
- Integrated radar/sensor
- Limited CRAM capability
- Deep magazines

I'm pretty sure this doesn't exist yet anywhere, Pantsir is probably closest. Will probably require missile and gun (or laser lol) combo.

Take old M1 Abrams hulls that we have stockpiled and stick a new turret on them that has a 30mm gun and 4-8 AIM-9xs? Then put a GIRAFFE radar on top.

e: oh wait that wouldn't have EW would it

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mortabis posted:

Take old M1 Abrams hulls that we have stockpiled and stick a new turret on them that has a 30mm gun and 4-8 AIM-9xs? Then put a GIRAFFE radar on top.

I like where this is going, can someone do a quick photoshop mockup?

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mortabis posted:

Does a 9X have that much range when coming from a stationary ground platform?

Mortabis
Jul 8, 2010

I am stupid

xthetenth posted:

:shrug: I just think a tank would look cool with big missiles hanging off it

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Mortabis posted:

I was thinking that or old M60 hulls, but with SLAMRAAMs and an APG-81 strapped to the roof. :v:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Mortabis posted:

:shrug: I just think a tank would look cool with big missiles hanging off it

I'm saying bigger is better.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

xthetenth posted:

Not really, but that doesn't mean there's not a valid need for something like that. Really, a 1-size-fits-all system is not likely to work well. Having a couple of cheaper, tailored systems would be better. A 9x-based short range system, and something longer range like Aegis Ashore or even an AIM-120D based system.

Xerxes17
Feb 17, 2011

I'm not a rocket scientist, but I would have thought you could have a bigger booster phase mounted to the back of the AIM-9X and job's done?

Like I just find it mind-boggling that you have all these MRM and LRM systems made by the Soviets that work. While the USA has all the component parts to make equivalents, putting them together is apperntly too hard?

B4Ctom1
Oct 5, 2003

OVERWORKED COCK
Slippery Tilde
Did someone say CRAM? Imagine if we switched the software in a CRAM back to CIWS

and then put a fake semi-truck box around it, and then let one of the FSA drive it near to one of the Russian Airbases

The Russians come back in from a sortie on approach, the box falls away and WHAMMO! No more SU-XX's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

B4Ctom1 posted:

Did someone say CRAM? Imagine if we switched the software in a CRAM back to CIWS

and then put a fake semi-truck box around it, and then let one of the FSA drive it near to one of the Russian Airbases

The Russians come back in from a sortie on approach, the box falls away and WHAMMO! No more SU-XX's.

Dahir Insaat already has that patent, I bet.