Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Who all is going to the Roguelike Celebration 2019 next weekend? I just bought my ticket. I see that Unormal and madjack are giving talks.

Hell yeah, it's a great time with awesome people. Highly recommended to anyone who gets a chance to come out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I'll be there! I attended the International Roguelike Development Conference way back in 2012, so I'm excited to go to another thing like this. We'll have to get a goon picture.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Zedlic posted:

Is there a roguelike with satisfying combat? For all their depth and great gameplay, I often feel like there's a lost opportunity for immersion when I attack that huge ogre and it feels like entering a row in a spreadsheet.

I don't need much either. I'm not talking about something like how Dead Cells has really satisfying combat, but just a little visual oomph. Something that makes an attack feel like an attack.

Edit: Cogmind definitely has the right idea with the animations and explosions and all that.

qud has this going on now iirc

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
Crying Suns thoughts- the story is good and interesting, I enjoy the interludes to learn more about the setting. I like the more sedate pace of the game and on normal at least the resource management feels a lot less fiddly than FTL. Flying around talking to people and choosing text options is way, way better than FTL. I like the officers more. I feel like an admiral and not an omniscient ship AI. I feel like it's something evoked in both presentation and gameplay- in FTL you're staring at a ship schematic the whole game, in crying suns you are looking out your bridge viewport.

I really like the idea of the squadrons being halved/sent to the penalty box for losses. The rock/paper/scissors unit balance is a little severe though, they probably wanted combat to be punchy and fast but sometimes it's jarringly out of step with the other cool downs and pacing. The boss encounters feel like they lean a little too hard on reinforcements for difficulty.

It also removed the worst part of FTL, fiddling with powering parts of the ship to game the timing of dodges etc. There is still some room for systems knowledge, eg timing ship weapons to hit multiple squadrons while they are passing through each other for example, but it doesn't involve nearly as much pausing.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Yeah, Crying Suns is fun but it desperately needs more random events. You're going to be able to memorize nearly every outcome within the first couple hours.

Combat is pretty good but the AI is not smart. As a result I kind of steamrolled every encounter with the exception of the first cluster's boss and the final boss of the game (where I took significant losses but didn't actually lose).

Playing on Normal difficulty did require me to pay attention but ultimately my runs did meet a 100% success rate. When the developers start implementing the additions outlined in their roadmap I'll probably go back and replay on Hard and/or try more ships, but for now I think I'm done with the game.

P.S. The Geno ship is awesome.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Who all is going to the Roguelike Celebration 2019 next weekend? I just bought my ticket. I see that Unormal and madjack are giving talks.

I'll be there, the last couple were a real great time! Looking forward to it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A gene twister removed my best perk and replaced it with one that makes my character shout YAHOO! every time I pick up loot

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Sounds like a plus in my book? Sometimes you just gotta appreciate what the universe gives you.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Jazerus posted:

the recharge is 1-3 i think, so a guaranteed 5 wishes

that's usually enough to equip any character with what they need. nethack seems very scary and random until you get to the castle a couple of times and then you understand that it's really not as capricious as it seems. the post-castle stuff is a much more straightforward hack and slash dungeon crawler experience compared to the paranoid roguelike feel of the dungeon
Not if you bless the source of recharging! Googling indicates that you do this with Scrolls of Recharging, though, maybe I'm thinking of ADOM with the booze potion.

However, the wiki I'm looking at is implying that the wand isn't guaranteed to be generated with a full 3 charges, so you're right: minimum guaranteed five.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Zereth posted:

Not if you bless the source of recharging! Googling indicates that you do this with Scrolls of Recharging, though, maybe I'm thinking of ADOM with the booze potion.

However, the wiki I'm looking at is implying that the wand isn't guaranteed to be generated with a full 3 charges, so you're right: minimum guaranteed five.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the booze potion is something from another game.

In Nethack you use a blessed scroll of recharging; if you already have one, great. Otherwise you usually spend your first wish on 2 blessed scrolls of recharging. If you've ID'd recharging (or are a wizard), and have access to blank paper (you can dampen excess scrolls for this), it's better to wish for a blessed magic marker, or (if you have blessed blank paper and think you might want to write cursed scrolls sometime) an uncursed magic marker, then write a blessed scroll of recharging. And you always do this on the first wish because the wand might have generated with only one charge, and it really sucks to spend your first wish on blessed fixed greased +2 silver dragon scale mail or whatever and then have no way of recharging the wand.

ToxicFrog fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Oct 1, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
In ADOM, you can still dip a bunch of scrolls of recharge into a Blessed Potion of Water in order to get blessed scrolls of recharge.

Dipping a wand in a potion of booze will, however, also restore 1-3 charges. Wands of wishing are exempt from this.

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Oct 1, 2019

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I am so glad that I never got into nethack, that every-so-brief reminder about Wizards writing down things just gave me the shudders.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Serephina posted:

I am so glad that I never got into nethack, that every-so-brief reminder about Wizards writing down things just gave me the shudders.

Nethack is an interesting...experience, but it's kind of a bad game. It's surprisingly winnable once you know enough, but it's a massive pile of quite literally everything and the kitchen sink and it's sort of intentionally abstruse, such that new players committed to a spoiler-free win tend to take months to achieve that knowledge (largely by finding every fortune cookie and graffiti in the game and painstakingly sifting the true ones from the lies, and scientifically discerning half the other weird interactions).

I was terrible at it and mostly just took way too much pleasure into turning dwarftown into a black pudding ranch. I think I ascended at least once, but I don't know how.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Nethack is a game that is intentionally and explicitly designed around the idea that people will read spoilers and even go so far as to read the source code of the game to suss out the most in-depth secrets of how the game works, which is... yeah, not exactly newbie-friendly.

You have to appreciate the depth of interactions and weirdness that the game offers. That's not just breadth of gameplay, it's real depth.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Yeah, the game is definitely not friendly and not for everyone, but I can't really say the game is "bad" when the difficulty and complexity are basically the whole appeal of the game. It's going for a very specific niche, not for mass appeal. It has some clear flaws, but I also can't think of a game that scratches the exact itch Nethack does while doing a better job of it.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Nethack is definitely designed along the GNU/Unix philosophy of "one tool for one job."

Except in this case, the job is "being the single most goddamn complex and in-depth roguelike that it is humanly possible to make while still being at all playable." :v:

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Nethack is an interesting...experience, but it's kind of a bad game. It's surprisingly winnable once you know enough, but it's a massive pile of quite literally everything and the kitchen sink and it's sort of intentionally abstruse, such that new players committed to a spoiler-free win tend to take months to achieve that knowledge (largely by finding every fortune cookie and graffiti in the game and painstakingly sifting the true ones from the lies, and scientifically discerning half the other weird interactions).

Where did you hear of a spoiler-free win that was accomplished in months rather than years?

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I'm not sure I would describe "figure out the one correct interaction out of 1,800" as "real depth" when games like Slay the Spire or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead exist where one choice can change everything else but ymmv.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

TOOT BOOT posted:

Where did you hear of a spoiler-free win that was accomplished in months rather than years?

I think the quickest I'd heard of was two or three years? 'Months' was hedging on my part, I don't doubt the dedication of crazy people.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
If anyone wants to give slay the spire a try, I have a spare humble code and already own it on 3 platforms. Send me a pm!

Klaus Kinski fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Oct 2, 2019

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

SKULL.GIF posted:

I'm not sure I would describe "figure out the one correct interaction out of 1,800" as "real depth" when games like Slay the Spire or Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead exist where one choice can change everything else but ymmv.
I'm not sure I'd Cataclysm DDA the best example to give here, because I love that game to death, but it also suffers from a lot of the same "it feels complex and relatively easy if you already know what to do" problems that Nethack legitimately does. Can't speak to Slay the Spire yet, but I mean to play it.

I wasn't meaning to put down any other game by saying that, anyway. Nethack is basically the essence of what I want a roguelike to be, but it's hardly the only way for a roguelike to be deep or engaging. :)

edit: Thanks a ton to Klaus for the free Spire code. Now I'll get to try it this afternoon!

Cardiovorax fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Oct 2, 2019

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

frest posted:

Crying Suns thoughts- the story is good and interesting, I enjoy the interludes to learn more about the setting. I like the more sedate pace of the game and on normal at least the resource management feels a lot less fiddly than FTL. Flying around talking to people and choosing text options is way, way better than FTL. I like the officers more. I feel like an admiral and not an omniscient ship AI. I feel like it's something evoked in both presentation and gameplay- in FTL you're staring at a ship schematic the whole game, in crying suns you are looking out your bridge viewport.

I'm really surprised to read this. I just found it super stale compared to FTL. Yea my officers are standing there with me but in FTL they do far more and mean far more than the basically nothing that they do in Crying Suns.
I realise they give different outcomes to some events but having every officer, even weird looking named ones, always saying the same thing just makes them feel like faceless mooks.

At least Mantis are good at fighting or etc, there's something beyond the art to them.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Sending my guys around is the appeal of FTL for me. I'd love to try the same top down people directing mechanics ported into more genres.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

Taear posted:

I'm really surprised to read this. I just found it super stale compared to FTL. Yea my officers are standing there with me but in FTL they do far more and mean far more than the basically nothing that they do in Crying Suns.
I realise they give different outcomes to some events but having every officer, even weird looking named ones, always saying the same thing just makes them feel like faceless mooks.

At least Mantis are good at fighting or etc, there's something beyond the art to them.

I guess it's more that, beyond certain specific actions (boarding parties with mantises), the decision of where to make a guy stand in FTL feels like busy work. There are exceptions, and that game has a lot of nuance, and at this point it has been literal years since I played FTL with serious intent. I personally don't remember the FTL crew having any more meaning to me beyond "oh no the power guy died, now my config is lovely"

Crying Suns is a step above Orion Trail and a step below FTL. I like the concept of a more high level ship management perspective, Picard didn't micro manage where Geordi's interns stood etc.

I do think that they could have done more with the special named officers though.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

That reminds me a lot of how Sunless Sea/Skies handles officers, which is basically as a type talking equipment. I always felt that this doesn't really make the most of what the idea of named hires could do for a game like that. FTL's are a bit too bland, while Sunless X's don't feel like they do enough outside of their quests. A combination of that kind of active control combined with the unique personality of Crying Suns would, I think, be the best way to use them.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I think crewmembers' fungibility adds a lot of humor to FTL. Knowing your ship could be staffed by entirely different people by the end and getting attached to specific units for no reason is a lot of the fun.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

There's no reason you couldn't have both - it just takes a somewhat larger cast of characters and permadeath.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

frest posted:

I guess it's more that, beyond certain specific actions (boarding parties with mantises), the decision of where to make a guy stand in FTL feels like busy work. There are exceptions, and that game has a lot of nuance, and at this point it has been literal years since I played FTL with serious intent. I personally don't remember the FTL crew having any more meaning to me beyond "oh no the power guy died, now my config is lovely"

Crying Suns is a step above Orion Trail and a step below FTL. I like the concept of a more high level ship management perspective, Picard didn't micro manage where Geordi's interns stood etc.

I do think that they could have done more with the special named officers though.

I guess I'm absolutely down with having a power guy over "This guy has some skills I've forgotten because it's not easy to access them" like in Crying Suns. I just don't feel like I interact with my crying suns ones.
It's not helped by there being named ones that it makes a song and dance about but they do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING special and just let you recruit one of them randomly chosen each run.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....
So Chasm finally updated with the "We're sorry we hosed up our release" patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3igphtIGU0

Supposedly the combat, room generation, items and enemy AI is suppose to be better along with adding classes to the game.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BexGu posted:

So Chasm finally updated with the "We're sorry we hosed up our release" patch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c3igphtIGU0

Supposedly the combat, room generation, items and enemy AI is suppose to be better along with adding classes to the game.

Huh. I'll check this out tonight.

It's not so much that they hosed up their release, as it is that they hosed up managing their audience's expectation. The game was competent, if a little bland, but was nowhere near what people expected from a roguelite metroidvania at a time when those were coming out weekly with standouts like Dead Cells as competition.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I played it before the patch and I thought it was actually pretty alright. Not great when compared to (as OutOfPrint says) the stand-out titles like Dead Cells, but definitely an enjoyable experience for the five or six hours I spent playing it. If they made it even better, then I would say it is certainly worth looking into now even if you weren't interested before.

packetmantis
Feb 26, 2013
Is it still 90% long hallways with nothing of interest?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Yeah, it was the level gen that bored me about the game. A dungeon that's very obviously structured as a linear sequence of zones, each of which leads off with a new traversal ability, and otherwise almost entirely consists of long hallways with the same ~screen-sized encounter copied and pasted over and over again throughout the hallway.

Procgen open-world platformer is a hard thing to do well, so it's not really surprising that Chasm didn't succeed on that front, but the fact remains that they didn't.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

It seemed to have a lot of large rooms full of climbing and jumping challenges even when I played it.

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

For those interested, Roguelike Celebration is starting up. There's a Twitch stream, too: https://twitch.tv/roguelike_con

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The first talk was goddamn amazing. The one on helping people construct narratives from in-game events was also good (and specifically referenced Boatmurdered and CK2 LPs).

MuffiTuffiWuffi
Jul 25, 2013

Oh, hey, they're doing remote talks, too.

Seconding that the one on narratives through games was good. Talked fast, but was great content.

hito
Feb 13, 2012

Thank you, kids. By giving us this lift you're giving a lift to every law-abiding citizen in the world.
I had to leave early but the Robin Sloan talk about turning GPT-2 into the high fantasy narrative bot rocked my god drat world and I'm going to be sharing the hell out of that VOD as soon as it's out.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Enichan/status/1181390271805829123

Not surprised that humble makes little money for devs. I feel like I have to solve 20 re-captchers after a 10 factor authorization just to figure out what games I have in the library.

genericnick fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Oct 8, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madjackmcmad
May 27, 2008

Look, I'm startin' to believe some of the stuff the cult guy's been saying, it's starting to make a lot of sense.
I knew there were some additional hidden goons at Roguelike Celebration. TooMuchAbstraction wanted a group picture, I told him and Unormal that I could go up to the mic during the break and say "If you have stairs in your house, please report to the black pudding" but they worried that the secret phrase was too old. TOO OLD. What sort of cult doesn't have secret ancient chants come on team let's get it together.

I played a game called Dungeon Cleaner during the arcade night, it was put together by a man so mighty and arcane in the old nerd ways that he has a three letter twitter handle and owns "strlen.com" but I guess he isn't ready to share the game with the masses. It was simple and very Desktop Dungeonsy, monsters were static obstacles and you could see the damage each monster would do to you if you decided to kill them, so you go around looking for the cheapest monsters and hidden corners where power/def/speed upgrades lay. Throw in some spells that nuke terrain, monsters of X health, or cause poison, and there's some gameplay. You can run across shopkeepers who sell exactly one thing each, and the choices are:

1) buy the thing (full price)
2) come back later (pay 10% of the price!?)
3) kill the shopkeeper (lose 10% health but get some gold)

The talks were full of creativity and Cool poo poo, not as much of it was things you can run home and try right away but the ones that were were great. I'm gonna gently caress around with Wave Function Collapse in dmans before long (hopefully on stream) and within an hour of getting home after the flight I was running through Playscii just seeing what could be done with it.

The URR talk about dynamic languages was all the heady URR jibba jabba you expect -- quite good, but still dense. What I really liked was how the conversations he proposed seemed to have a touch of memory. You could ask "Where can I find old man so-and-so", get a response, and then your next question can be "What is he like?" and it's sad that I find that so surprising but it's really rare.

hito posted:

the Robin Sloan talk about turning GPT-2 into the high fantasy narrative bot rocked my god drat world

Yes absolutely, that was aces. And he MAILED physical maps to people with little generated quests, ugh that's too good.