Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FAROOQ
Aug 20, 2014

by Smythe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
https://twitter.com/dickmasterson/status/839540377312874497

https://twitter.com/KeninHD/status/839541471267127298

https://twitter.com/tweet_secrete/status/839564658927362048

Not sure if meant to be a joke since Lowtax replied to it, but there it is. Not sure the link between bald men and either being really creepy or just lovely. (Last guy isn't bald, but point still stands. Exhibit B would be Matthew Santoro)

goose willis
Jun 14, 2015

Get ready for teh wacky laughz0r!

Aerdan
Apr 14, 2012

Not Dennis NEDry

TinTower posted:

I take it the idiot is Red?

Nah, Red's trying to learn more about the issue. I was more highlighting how Magenta really didn't want to actually defend their comments, though.

constantIllusion
Feb 16, 2010

Ularg posted:

https://twitter.com/dickmasterson/status/839540377312874497

https://twitter.com/KeninHD/status/839541471267127298

https://twitter.com/tweet_secrete/status/839564658927362048

Not sure if meant to be a joke since Lowtax replied to it, but there it is. Not sure the link between bald men and either being really creepy or just lovely. (Last guy isn't bald, but point still stands. Exhibit B would be Matthew Santoro)

What woman spends 55 minutes per day on applying makeup?

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I am almost 100% certain that men who complain about women taking forever to put on makeup would complain that they're 'ugly' when they don't.

OldTennisCourt
Sep 11, 2011

by VideoGames
" Women are slutty vain awful beings who need to leave the internet forever and never express their opinions ever."

"Dear Reddit, Why am I an incel?"

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Slime posted:

I am almost 100% certain that men who complain about women taking forever to put on makeup would complain that they're 'ugly' when they don't.

Most of those men have no concept about how makeup is actually used and think that if a woman doesn't have blood red lips with purple eyelids or whatever than they aren't wearing makeup at all.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

My grandpa served in WW2 in the Navy. He maintained the ship's library and never saw any action. I wish I got paid to read books on a boat :(

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

https://twitter.com/Beezyhustle/status/836578197210812418

If you go to the link and scroll up you can see the full convo :stare:

old bean factory
Nov 18, 2006

Will ya close the fucking doors?!

Mandingo ate my cookie.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

dirksteadfast posted:

My grandpa served in WW2 in the Navy. He maintained the ship's library and never saw any action. I wish I got paid to read books on a boat :(
I am a librarian and this is kind of heartwarming.

Munchables
Feb 8, 2015

Ask/tell me about legal cannibalism

mng posted:

Mandingo ate my cookie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hajh4PjWTa0

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010

Perestroika posted:

Based on the gun and the mask, it seems more likely that's a picture from WW1. Which makes the original tweet even more nonsensical.
Are we sure? The Germans were using verrrry similar looking gear in WW2

see the helmet shape and MP18 variant on the soldiers in the background. I'm not a war-gear nerd so I'm really not sure, but a bit of googling shows it's really hard to tell the difference between WW1 Stormtroopers and WW2 German infantry.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

SurreptitiousMuffin posted:

see the helmet shape and MP18 variant on the soldiers in the background. I'm not a war-gear nerd so I'm really not sure, but a bit of googling shows it's really hard to tell the difference between WW1 Stormtroopers and WW2 German infantry.

I'm way too used to seeing that picture with a pony now

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

Ambitious Spider posted:

You and me both. :smith::hf::smith:

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Doesn't have the same impact without the pony.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Gasmasks quickly fell out of use during WW2 when chemical weapons were actually not being used. Gasmasks are hella iconic of ww1, especially the hose types.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

Yeah but everyone in Britain was issued a gasmask during WW2 and carried them with them all the time just in case. Luckily they were never needed.

Also one of my Grandads was a dentist who joined the RAF in WW2 and never left England and my other Grandad was classed as an essential war worker as he was a Tannery foreman so he never even left home.
I also have a Great-Uncle who died in the First World War, he was the eldest child and about 15 years older than my Gran who was the youngest in the family. I'm in my 40's.

somekindofguy
Mar 9, 2011
Grimey Drawer
https://youtu.be/bdX55I9WHDw

My brain hurts. If you've got a youtube comment Bingo card, I'm guessing this is a blackout.

Also attack helicopter jokes for some reason????

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

dirksteadfast posted:

Mine got sent to Yale to learn Japanese* and also never saw combat. He was also really into sci-fi/fantasy books and never dated until meeting my grandma in his 30s. The original goon.

*I have his textbooks from the time, they're pretty neat. Since I also learned Japanese in high school I was able to speak it with him. It's amazing how much he remembered despite having no reason to use it after the war ended.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

Ambitious Spider posted:

I literally said aloud "oh no pony" and felt very sad.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Overwatch added a child genius to the game, and she made a robot that's a new playable character, since shooting an 11-year old with guns would be way too far, I'm sure there's lots of neat stuff abo

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Sometimes I think there needs to be an organised initiative for greater participation in comments sections by people who aren't heinous shitheads because goddamn does the competition have that whole medium on lockdown

Catberry
Feb 17, 2017

♫ Most certainly ♫

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Gasmasks quickly fell out of use during WW2 when chemical weapons were actually not being used. Gasmasks are hella iconic of ww1, especially the hose types.

A google image search turned up this very conflicting result.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

😲😲😲

😖😖😖

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

RareAcumen posted:

Overwatch added a child genius to the game, and she made a robot that's a new playable character, since shooting an 11-year old with guns would be way too far, I'm sure there's lots of neat stuff abo

Weren't these ubermensch the same guys who were crying about their Overwatch waifu being gay a couple of months back? Gamers really are a thin crust of detached superiority over a roiling sea of tears and body odor.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/836635331139145732

They patched things up afterwards but still, hoo boy.

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

Weren't these ubermensch the same guys who were crying about their Overwatch waifu being gay a couple of months back? Gamers really are a thin crust of detached superiority over a roiling sea of tears and body odor.

I'm sure they were part of it but I believe, the bulk of it came from the official Blizzard forums.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

NO gently caress YOU DAD posted:

"Oh my god, why can't they just make a non-political, non-SJW, non-politically correct character? You know, a white male. Something normal."

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I don't know much about video games, so I'm asking:

Has any company actually taken a financial hit due to the crying of racist/sexist/homophobic crybaby gamers? Like have sales of any game gone down? User numbers? Has a production company lost revenue, or contracts due to the manchildren crying "waa waa waa there is a person who is not a cishet white man in this game"?

Coz I can understand proper companies being scared of an online whingey backlash, due to them not understanding how the internet works, (people whinge futilely and rage disproportionately over the smallest things). but a video game company surely knows that the idiots will keep buying their poo poo.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BrigadierSensible posted:

Has any company actually taken a financial hit due to the crying of racist/sexist/homophobic crybaby gamers? Like have sales of any game gone down? User numbers? Has a production company lost revenue, or contracts due to the manchildren crying "waa waa waa there is a person who is not a cishet white man in this game"?

Coz I can understand proper companies being scared of an online whingey backlash, due to them not understanding how the internet works, (people whinge futilely and rage disproportionately over the smallest things). but a video game company surely knows that the idiots will keep buying their poo poo.

I doubt a significant number of people have boycotted a popular game in the genre they like over too much "PC". I imagine a number of people have boycotted games they never would have bought in the first place, because there are some ham-handed piece of poo poo games that try to get people to buy them because they are ethical.

The opposite probably works though. I think a number of people spite-bought that anime boob game some chick tried to get taken off Steam. So telling your white cishet brothers that your game is being oppressed by SJWs might just get you a few more sales.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Short answer: no

Long answer: no but several games have mishandled minority characters particularly by making the minority character excessively boring, and as a result sold poorly. For instance Assassin's Creed 3 sold poorly, compared to the other AC games, because Connor was kinda boring and came with a bunch of dumb gameplay restrictions. It had nothing to do with him being Native American.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Yeah. There was a lot of !!!SJW!!! talk about 3 but people forget that the very first AC game had an Arab-Syrian protagonist, and sold like hotcakes.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

BrigadierSensible posted:

There are a small vocal minority that complain about any "sjw" stuff in comment sections on websites etc but generally any of this sort of drama usually just helps the games sales because it raises it's visibility essentially with no added marketing costs.

maswastaken
Nov 12, 2011

Facebook Aunt posted:

So telling your white cishet brothers that your game is being oppressed by SJWs might just get you a few more sales.
See also: Play-Asia and Dead or Alive Xtreme 3. Complete piece of poo poo game, biggest sales they ever had.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Yeah. There was a lot of !!!SJW!!! talk about 3 but people forget that the very first AC game had an Arab-Syrian protagonist, and sold like hotcakes.
Well yeah but that guy was From History, and AC3 was set somewhere Real, and Important

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
Publishers are notoriously cagey about giving good marketing to games with non-white or non-male protagonists. This leads to the games having poor sales, which the publishers are free to blame on the protagonist, which feeds back into the cycle. Thankfully the overwhelming success of games like Undertale and Overwatch may have eased this a bit, as has the wild advocacy that non-traditional protagonists get in the fan press.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

AC3 also only sold poorly for an assassin's creed game which is way above most other games.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

Didn't he have an American accent? It was pretty awkward with the rest of the cast sounding like SNL doing and Indian deli sketch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008

Gorilla Salad posted:

"Oh my god, why can't they just make a non-political, non-SJW, non-politically correct character? You know, a white male. Something normal."
There's actually a decent gameplay reason for having extravagantly mixed-gender/race characters, because being able to identify your teammates quickly and easily seems pretty important in something like Overwatch. Knowing Santa Claus guy and the pink-haired bodybuilder are on your team and the blue girl and the guy with huge dreads are on the other side probably makes for a faster-flowing game than having to stop and figure out which army men are going to shoot you and which aren't.