Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Christoff posted:

Someone make a new thread or I will tonight. Title suggestions? PS4 Thread: Watch_dogs chat ITT

They Named the Fourth Playstation the Playstation 4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drewsky
Dec 29, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Ummm, what the gently caress happened to my controller? I was playing TLOU and all of a sudden the R2 button started acting wonky. If I press it once to fire, it'll work, but then if I press it again it won't work. I thought maybe there was something stuck in but it seems to be clicking fine :confused:

I've been playing for a while and it's been working fine, just started doing this all of a sudden.

Did you restart your console? My home button or whatever it's called stopped working when I was playing TLoU a couple nights ago and I restarted and haven't had trouble since. Might be unrelated, I figured that was just some kind of glitch with the OS or something.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Dusted off my PS3 since my PS4 is waiting for a gamefly hit, and sat down to finally play the latest God of War game.

And of course the game immediately asks to update - with a 600 MB file. And my internet connection is apparently making GBS threads the bed, so the download has no failed four times in a row, even after tweaking the internet settings.

The worst part is that I know 90% of that patch is multiplayer bullshit I don't need, but I know there's a single player patch tucked away in that mess that is actually super useful to have.

Goddamn do I hate modern gaming sometimes.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Narcissus1916 posted:

Dusted off my PS3 since my PS4 is waiting for a gamefly hit, and sat down to finally play the latest God of War game.

And of course the game immediately asks to update - with a 600 MB file. And my internet connection is apparently making GBS threads the bed, so the download has no failed four times in a row, even after tweaking the internet settings.

The worst part is that I know 90% of that patch is multiplayer bullshit I don't need, but I know there's a single player patch tucked away in that mess that is actually super useful to have.

Goddamn do I hate modern gaming sometimes.

You're honestly not missing much when it comes to GoW: Ascension, and this is coming from the guy who platinum'd every game.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Please do not play God of War: Ascension.

Harton
Jun 13, 2001

StarkRavingMad posted:

They Named the Fourth Playstation the Playstation 4

This gets my vote

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
GoW Ascension really feels goddamn flat. I say if you can, pick up the GOW HD collection and just play 1 or 2.

Preferably 2 because 1 does show it's age with it's controls/mechanics.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Drewsky posted:

Did you restart your console? My home button or whatever it's called stopped working when I was playing TLoU a couple nights ago and I restarted and haven't had trouble since. Might be unrelated, I figured that was just some kind of glitch with the OS or something.
Yeah, that didn't do anything :( Upon further inspection, it seemed like the R2 button was getting stuck after all. Nothing really seemed to get it back to where it had been before, so I Googled some fixes for it and found the one that involves unscrewing/taking the back cover off the DS4, removing the spring under the R2 button and then putting the controller back together. A lot of people said they'd had success with it, so I tried that and it seems to have had some success but didn't fix it entirely. The R2 button now works more frequently than it had been, but it doesn't work every single time. I guess I'm just gonna have to get a new DS4 one of these days.

I mean, this is the controller that came with my system that I bought in November and I've used it for a bunch of games since then (including lots of hours of Call of Duty: Ghosts), so maybe it's just natural wear? But I've never had a console controller stop working because a button got stuck before. Then again, in researching the spring removal fix, people did say it was a design flaw with the DS4, so I don't know what to believe. If I got a new one as a replacement, who's to say it won't do the same thing as this one did after using it a while?

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

I've greatly enjoyed all of the god of war games - even the remastered psp games. Ghost of Sparta in particular is a better God of War sucessor than the much-hyped God of War 3.

Ascension is still installing, since it is apparently downloading SEVERAL GBs of data. I thought 600 MB was a steep download, but that was before I was hit with an additional 200 MB, and now a 907MB file. What a goddamn mess.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

Yeah, that didn't do anything :( Upon further inspection, it seemed like the R2 button was getting stuck after all. Nothing really seemed to get it back to where it had been before, so I Googled some fixes for it and found the one that involves unscrewing/taking the back cover off the DS4, removing the spring under the R2 button and then putting the controller back together. A lot of people said they'd had success with it, so I tried that and it seems to have had some success but didn't fix it entirely. The R2 button now works more frequently than it had been, but it doesn't work every single time. I guess I'm just gonna have to get a new DS4 one of these days.

I mean, this is the controller that came with my system that I bought in November and I've used it for a bunch of games since then (including lots of hours of Call of Duty: Ghosts), so maybe it's just natural wear? But I've never had a console controller stop working because a button got stuck before. Then again, in researching the spring removal fix, people did say it was a design flaw with the DS4, so I don't know what to believe. If I got a new one as a replacement, who's to say it won't do the same thing as this one did after using it a while?

For as much as I love the DS4 it seems to have some build issues. I haven't had any major problems with mine but all of the buttons just feel kind of squishier than they used to, which is kind of odd for a 9 month old controller.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Shindragon posted:

GoW Ascension really feels goddamn flat. I say if you can, pick up the GOW HD collection and just play 1 or 2.

Preferably 2 because 1 does show it's age with it's controls/mechanics.

I wouldn't bother with either GoW 1 or 2 at this point. They do not age well, at all. I'd say 1 is downright awful, and 2 is just mediocre. I haven't played 3 yet, but I'm outright dreading it, despite people telling me it's the highpoint of the series and the combat is better than the first two. I get the feeling that the only reason the games sold was because of the over-the-top ultraviolence, which is cool but not worth the slog that is the lovely gameplay.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I got stuck on a puzzle where you had to hit certain buttons to make a music box make certain sounds, except my old ps3 controller was kinda hosed and it couldn't do it.

Between that and the horrible jumping aim, I just kinda gave up on it.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

If you don't like GoW1 or 2, you're not gonna like 3. The gameplay improvements are pretty trivial.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I bought a PS4 the other day, as Destiny lured me in. I'm very impressed by Battlefield 4 and how smooth it looks & runs. I think my only complaint is that the PSN+ offerings as well as the game demos are incredibly anaemic. The free PSN+ games look like something some indie coughed up in his basement. The demos are all sports games and there's only 6? 8? A poster earlier said it best when he mentioned how it'll be good to see actual retail games offered up on the PSN+. It's been nine months though, I waited this long specifically for more content and right now there's not a whole lot for those who just want to try some games on their shiny new PS4!

But there seriously needs to be more demos. I'm very very surprised Killzone isn't on there, or Infamous, or some other staple launch/early game.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
Yeah I was surprised by the lack of demos. I'm sure we'll get Shadowfall or Black Flag as a PS+ by the end of the year. As for games to play, I am going through Second Son now and it's fun. The only F2P I'll stick with permanently is War Thunder, as Warframe lacks viscera and Blacklight is not very good. I might gently caress with DCUO on occasion, as it runs leagues better than it did on PS3.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Feel free to use or change up, but I feel this describes the situation pretty well.
Playstation 4 General Discussion: Double Dipping with our newbie Boners til 2015

revolther fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Aug 2, 2014

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
In Rogue Legacy, anyone know how to access the boxes that have no path to them? Like the room will connect the floor to the ceiling and there will be a treasure box completely walled in on the side.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
2 possiblities

A.There is a hidden path, look for oddities in the floor that look like it doesnt match, you might be able to jump down.
B.Need to be playing a class that can teleport. If you cant, tough luck.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Darke GBF posted:

I get the feeling that the only reason the games sold was because of the over-the-top ultraviolence, which is cool but not worth the slog that is the lovely gameplay.

The only GOW game I have ever played was 3 and I have to admit I'm baffled that it's a popular IP. LIke, I can't even grasp why people like it. I had a PS2 when the first 2 games came out, but that was before I was on the internet much and I just avoided the series because Kratos is dumb looking.

Follow That Fish!
Mar 8, 2007
Chaser of the stray sea-life, clad in a trench and a fedora.

big mean giraffe posted:

Oh wait rogue legacy is on vita too? Might be time to replay it. Wish I could bring over my PC progress.

Yeah, it's cross-buy and also cross-save. so you can keep making the same lineage proud on both systems.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Salvor_Hardin posted:

In Rogue Legacy, anyone know how to access the boxes that have no path to them? Like the room will connect the floor to the ceiling and there will be a treasure box completely walled in on the side.

Most of these are dwarf-holes. You should be able to see a section of the wall that is slightly darker in shade than the rest. If you have the Dwarfism trait, you can get inside and get the treasure.

There's also a lot of rooms which have dwarf-holes that let you bypass all the traps and enemies if you know to look out for them.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I finally got around to checking out PSNow, and as I scrolled through the list of games, the prices seemed really good at first, and then I got to the titles I actually wanted to play and it was the most gigantic... oooooh :smith:

MZ
Apr 21, 2004

Excuse me while I kiss the sky.
Really enjoying TLOU, never played it last gen so I'm glad I've got to play it at its best. Don't bother with the 30fps mode, 60 looks way better.

Is it just me or does anyone else find the PS4 fans spin up most when the game is paused? I find this weird as I would have thought they would spin up less at this point, but I remember having exactly the same thing happen when Second Son was paused, is this some kind of weird bug??

magimix
Dec 31, 2003

MY FAT WAIFU!!! :love:
She's fetish efficient :3:

Nap Ghost

MZ posted:

Is it just me or does anyone else find the PS4 fans spin up most when the game is paused? I find this weird as I would have thought they would spin up less at this point, but I remember having exactly the same thing happen when Second Son was paused, is this some kind of weird bug??

I always assumed I just *noticed* the fans when the game is paused. No music, gameplay sounds, etc, obscuring them, attention not focused a game in action. Trials is a good one for that, I find.

I'm at home to the possibilty of being wrong though.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
SS did that with my PS4 but only during photo mode as far as I could tell.

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

I've noticed it in a lot of games, on pause screens and menus. Maybe something to do with how it renders 2D stuff, idk.

Happy_Misanthrope
Aug 3, 2007

"I wanted to kill you, go to your funeral, and anyone who showed up to mourn you, I wanted to kill them too."

I said come in! posted:

I finally got around to checking out PSNow, and as I scrolled through the list of games, the prices seemed really good at first, and then I got to the titles I actually wanted to play and it was the most gigantic... oooooh :smith:

Yeah, it 'aint Steam. Granted the PS4 is very early in its lifespan, things should be better by next year when there's a good backlog. If you're :canada: try and find a Target if one's around, they're having a physical video game firesale on now for all consoles apparently as they dump inventory.

After 15+ hours with LoU:R, the Dualshock 4 is now my favourite controller. The 360 was the most comfortable before this, but I just have absolutely no hand fatigue/cramps at all like I would at times with the 360. It feels clunky now by comparison.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
I have delicious dreams about Sony doing the right thing and adding disc-based PS1/PS2 emulation support (with the huge disclaimer that compatibility is not 100% before loading up) into the console, no extra funds required.
(Is the GDDR5 able to do what the few games who used the maximum potential of the RDRAM in the PS2 did? Maybe that lies within CPU and all, since you gotta emulate, cannot use existing hardware to freely simulate.)

Ghosts n Gopniks fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Aug 2, 2014

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
I took a look at my library after seeing if the PS+ games for August were up and buying Rogue Legacy (it's still awesome, btw, go get it) and I noticed Trine 2 was in my library. I remember playing the demo but I can't remember if it was ever on PS+ or not.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Ularg posted:

I took a look at my library after seeing if the PS+ games for August were up and buying Rogue Legacy (it's still awesome, btw, go get it) and I noticed Trine 2 was in my library. I remember playing the demo but I can't remember if it was ever on PS+ or not.

Yeah, it was one of the June games.

timeandtide
Nov 29, 2007

This space is reserved for future considerations.
Post the thread, Christoff.

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

NESguerilla posted:

The only GOW game I have ever played was 3 and I have to admit I'm baffled that it's a popular IP. LIke, I can't even grasp why people like it. I had a PS2 when the first 2 games came out, but that was before I was on the internet much and I just avoided the series because Kratos is dumb looking.

Because of the set pieces. The game was nothing super awesome, but it had it's mechanics and they worked for what they were. To be fair you played 3. Aka one of the most underwhelming of all of them. It screamed "rushed". If you want to actually experience the best one, it's basically god of war 2.

The goddamn game starts off what feels like a final boss battle and yet it's just the beginning of the game.

Also COD OF WAR Kratos was great and I won't have you talking poo poo about him. :colbert:

Tei
Feb 19, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

MZ posted:

I had this problem on a PC game.

The game was spawning particles every frame, and removing particles every tick. With the game paused (so ticks not moving) the game was spawning more and more particles, slowling down everything. As soon the game was unpaused, all these particles would die.

Try to pause the game looking at a generator of particles, anything that spawn particles, and see if more are generated and not removed.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
Question for Yakuza fans! There is a used game store that has Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Dead Souls for sale. Which should I get? Or should I get both? I want to play at least one game before I set up a JP profile on my PS4.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

PS4 $350 at Sams Club
Looks to be in store only and sold out some places
Reddit thread

and this redditor made a guide on installing a 2TB HD into the PS4
Thread

Apparently that $10 off $50+ purchase at Target is working for TLOU now. So if you want a $40 copy at target. Even less with discover card or target red card
Thread

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Morby posted:

Question for Yakuza fans! There is a used game store that has Yakuza 4 and Yakuza Dead Souls for sale. Which should I get? Or should I get both? I want to play at least one game before I set up a JP profile on my PS4.

Dead Souls isn't all that great. Yakuza 4 is alright though.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Speedball posted:

Dead Souls isn't all that great. Yakuza 4 is alright though.

Yeah, Yakuza 4 is a pretty tight game and I'd recommend it. If you REALLY like that one, then consider checking out Dead Souls. I played it and enjoyed it, didn't think it was bad at all, but "Isn't all that great" is a pretty apt description. I wouldn't say it's BAD. It's just not great.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Crappy Jack posted:

Yeah, Yakuza 4 is a pretty tight game and I'd recommend it. If you REALLY like that one, then consider checking out Dead Souls. I played it and enjoyed it, didn't think it was bad at all, but "Isn't all that great" is a pretty apt description. I wouldn't say it's BAD. It's just not great.

Dead Souls is a good way of meeting all your favorite Yakuza characters again, at the least.

I have major contextual problems with Yakuza as a series. It takes ludonarrative dissonance to an extreme I've not seen anywhere, in any form. The gameplay is about finding new amazing ways to smash people in the face with your bare hands, feet, or objects you have found or crafted. The cutscenes (with noteworthy exceptions, like holy poo poo this guy has twelve revolvers at once) are largely very slow and very chill. So slow and so chill that it confuses me that they've married a high-energy beat-em-up RPG to a thoughtful slow-burning crime drama.

kalonZombie
May 24, 2010

D&D 3.5 Book of Erotic Fantasy

Shindragon posted:

Because of the set pieces. The game was nothing super awesome, but it had it's mechanics and they worked for what they were. To be fair you played 3. Aka one of the most underwhelming of all of them. It screamed "rushed". If you want to actually experience the best one, it's basically god of war 2.

The goddamn game starts off what feels like a final boss battle and yet it's just the beginning of the game.

Also COD OF WAR Kratos was great and I won't have you talking poo poo about him. :colbert:

I still like 3 the best, but Cod of War is basically the second best alt skin in the series (only beaten by the cow in 1).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

I must have accidentally clicked on the PS3 thread.

• Locked thread