System Message

Secondary database maintenance is underway. Some features will be briefly unavailable.
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Finance is a broad spectrum, so it depends on what branch of finance you'll be working in. Generally though, your nemeses will be faxes and fax software, lovely Excel/Access "solutions" that some analyst hacked together ten years ago, and garbage in-house applications.

If you're going to work on the data management side and dealing with data flows, your top priorities are going to be to input validation, input validation and input validation. Hitting people over the head with a Type M is part of your regular duties when their data doesn't conform to the format specification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

anthonypants posted:

"The financial industry" is pretty broad. For example, one of our customers is a payday lender, and they are some of the absolute cheapest motherfuckers. They probably think they're saving money by refusing to let us monitor or administer anything in their environment, but then they also take up a lot of our admins' time (which we charge them for) to set everything up, because they've never heard of "LDAP".

Payday lenders are the scum of the earth, and I would have no compunction about not saving them from their own stupidity.

They fleece their customers to the point of bankruptcy; do the same to them with billable hours.

Wizard of the Deep
Sep 25, 2005

Another productive workday
Yea, "financial industry" is really broad. Without more detail, about the only thing I can say is that there will be paperwork. Lots and lots of paperwork.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

KillHour posted:

Payday lenders are the scum of the earth, and I would have no compunction about not saving them from their own stupidity.

They fleece their customers to the point of bankruptcy; do the same to them with billable hours.
If I had my way, we would lose these assholes, the Russian brides host, and the email spammers right after we dumped all of our DSL/dialup customers and converted our POP/IMAP/hosted Exchange customers to O365.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

You should dump email "marketers" anyway because they present a business risk to you and your other customers when your subnet ends up on a dns blacklist.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Collateral Damage posted:

You should dump email "marketers" anyway because they present a business risk to you and your other customers when your subnet ends up on a dns blacklist.
Those are all colo customers, the spammers have their own IP block and it's so poisonous they routinely request rDNS changes.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
You should change jobs if your job involves bulletproof hosting.

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:
A ticket came in!

quote:

[Japanese]Can you translate this git commit message into English for me? <commit message> [/Japanese]

On the one hand it's neat they're using git for stuff here. On the other hand the people involved aren't trained enough to use git from the terminal, and the frontend they've been told to use has kind of a history of handling non-ASCII poorly. Nobody using these tools actually speaks English. Apparently they've been committing in English for years, though. I'd love to see how useful those commit messages are.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
If they're using git for VCS and actually leaving commit messages, tie still ahead of the game.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dont forget hilariously outdated database software.

And way too much critical financial infrastructure handled by Excel macros. Excel '97.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Dont forget hilariously outdated database software.

Progress OpenEdge 10.2B, you say?

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

AlexDeGruven posted:

Progress OpenEdge 10.2B, you say?
I still support this for some lovely customs / forwarding application :(

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Jeoh posted:

I still support this for some lovely customs / forwarding application :(

Our entire business hinges on it.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

DigitalRaven posted:

And way too much critical financial infrastructure handled by Excel macros. Excel '97.

This is true. Literally billions of dollars and pounds and euros are processed by VBA macros. That is the language the financial infrastructure of our civilisation is written in. I know someone who gets paid by dumptruck to write VBA, and he says that being very afraid is the correct response.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

So, who's still using SSLv2? :v:

SeaborneClink
Aug 27, 2010

MAWP... MAWP!
The same people still using VBA macros

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

spankmeister posted:

TLS is still too new and scary. We need to wait a few more years for it to stabilize.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Methanar posted:

Erase Flash:

you monster.

A couple of my friends and I made a pact: we no longer joke about these sorts of malicious commands in chat.
A buddy rm-rf'd something when he accidentally typed it into console instead of Hangouts.
Someone was bound to gently caress something up at some point.

AlexDeGruven posted:

TLS is still too new and scary. We need to wait a few more years for it to stabilize.

I can't tell if this is sarcasm...

captkirk
Feb 5, 2010

spankmeister posted:

The answer to that question is actually "Basically everyone because of CVE-2015-3197 and the way most OS distro packages are built."

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I can't tell if this is sarcasm...

See my previous Progress statements. It won't help you make that determination.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal

notwithoutmyanus posted:

a :yotj: came in ...

I'm sure I'll have plenty of stories in the coming weeks/months as I work my way up at my new company. How does working for IT in the financial industry compare to those of you in medical IT, as in: what is the worst part of IT in the financial industry? Just trying to get my expectations set properly.

Not-For-Profits (credit unions) are pretty sweet gigs if you get into a larger one. Tons of new tech and money flying around everywhere for everyone. We're ditching an HP blade chassis that sucks for a Cisco UCS chassis, it's been way beyond my expectations to work with this stuff.

But gently caress it's slow. Slow slow slow. Everything needs 5 rounds of testing, then confirmation of testing, then vendor contact to approve confirmation of testing, then security checks, then vendor contact to approve the security checks, then planning for implementation. Rolling out IE 11 has been a 3 month process so far and we've got 15 computers on it.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
The MSP I worked for had a lot of small financial services clients and they were actually usually my favorites. They were willing to spend when they had to and I think the folks who worked at them were generally fun and nice. Then again I grew up around stock brokers so my view of them is probably biased.

Getting downtime windows was a nightmare though.

Alighieri
Dec 10, 2005

:dukedog:

spankmeister posted:

PCI compliance is a bitch.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Today I got a call 10 minutes before end of day that a barcode scanner has been acting up every 3 days for a year. Weird thing is, I've been the only one on the phones for about two months (We are only responsible for the medical IT, so call volume is low). So I told the nurse that I've not heard of this issue, and she acted all irritated as if I was trying to screw with her. So I checked it out and only one of the 2 USB Ports worked, since it's an installed wall PC, there are only two (for the keyboard/mouse combo and scanner).
In the OR no one knew about it and even cared, so I tried to call her back to tell her that I can't fix it today since everyone in medtech had left for the day. She was on the phone for 20 minutes, after which she let it ring for another 5, after that I was finally able to tell her, as well as informing her that the only option for today is calling the on call techs or just entering the code by hand. After that she told me she'd report me to my boss for saying that I didn't know about this issue.
WAT?!

Roargasm
Oct 21, 2010

Hate to sound sleazy
But tease me
I don't want it if it's that easy

spankmeister posted:

Tons of people, not me of course :downs: If SSL2 is supported anywhere on the server my understanding is that any TLS1.2 application is vulnerable

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

SEKCobra posted:

Today I got a call 10 minutes before end of day that a barcode scanner has been acting up every 3 days for a year. Weird thing is, I've been the only one on the phones for about two months (We are only responsible for the medical IT, so call volume is low). So I told the nurse that I've not heard of this issue, and she acted all irritated as if I was trying to screw with her. So I checked it out and only one of the 2 USB Ports worked, since it's an installed wall PC, there are only two (for the keyboard/mouse combo and scanner).
In the OR no one knew about it and even cared, so I tried to call her back to tell her that I can't fix it today since everyone in medtech had left for the day. She was on the phone for 20 minutes, after which she let it ring for another 5, after that I was finally able to tell her, as well as informing her that the only option for today is calling the on call techs or just entering the code by hand. After that she told me she'd report me to my boss for saying that I didn't know about this issue.
WAT?!

It happens all the time, people assume you know everything.If your boss is good they will just disregard it. If your boss actually takes that serious that you should have known, you need to find another job. If your boss doesn't have your back you are going to have a miserable time and eventually end up with disciplinary actions that are not deserved.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

pixaal posted:

It happens all the time, people assume you know everything.If your boss is good they will just disregard it. If your boss actually takes that serious that you should have known, you need to find another job. If your boss doesn't have your back you are going to have a miserable time and eventually end up with disciplinary actions that are not deserved.

Oh no, that's not a question, my boss is gonna scold me while at the same time talking about how she is a stupid oval office, but I'm already getting out of this place soon although they are desperately trying to get me into a new contract. My boss is the most toxic person I know, and half the department is leaving over the next few months. It's funny cause the job is pretty good (especially considering it's in healthcare).

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

AlexDeGruven posted:

This is an excellent avatar/post combo.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Roargasm posted:

Tons of people, not me of course :downs: If SSL2 is supported anywhere on the server my understanding is that any TLS1.2 application is vulnerable
It's any other server that uses the same certificate as the one on the SSLv2 server. Worst case scenario, you have a wildcard certificate, and you're using that on some obscure, ancient server running SSLv2, now someone can get a session key for any of your modern, not-obscure TLSv1/2 servers using that same wildcard cert.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Roargasm posted:

Correct. Not just 1.2 but any version. And it doesn't have to be the same server, just the same private key. So wildcard certs on load balancers or w/e where just one of them has v2 enabled makes the whole setup vulnerable.

e:f;b

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

divabot posted:

This is true. Literally billions of dollars and pounds and euros are processed by VBA macros. That is the language the financial infrastructure of our civilisation is written in. I know someone who gets paid by dumptruck to write VBA, and he says that being very afraid is the correct response.

I wrote a lot of fraud detection and financial reporting for a high-street bank in Excel 97 VBA.

I heard that they're looking for someone to maintain it, or port it to a more modern version of Excel, paying two and a half times what I made when I wrote it. gently caress'em. I wouldn't go back for boat money.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009
When I say financial industry, it's a pretty large public bank, doing monitoring admin and cisco switch admin stuff. Is that any different than what everyone mentioned?

Sorry, didn't realize it was stupidly vague.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Raerlynn posted:

gently caress assholes like this forever. My life doesn't go on pause when I walk through the door. People like this are why you have people who only do the bare minimum.

Not just people like that but also people who assume that someone who isn't married and has no kids is suddenly the 24/7 go-to person because "hey you don't have family stuff YOU can do this". Sorry assface, I've still got friends and family and other poo poo outside work I'd rather be doing. Not to mention I've seen too many times were someone with kids uses that as an excuse to leave early, arrive late or take a bunch of time off, and nobody questions it...yet if I end up 5 minutes late because of traffic and an accident, I'm the loving selfish Antichrist making excuses. Surprisingly, it happened more in large companies than smaller ones, after a while I started making poo poo up until they left me alone and made the other people pull their goddamn weight.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Someone at the other campus in our university, in the year of the lord 2016, decided to make a web-based program that only works in Internet Explorer.

The email that just got sent to every single person in the campus email system posted:

We have been working with the company [company] and found that it will only run on Internet Explorer for us at [university].
This is not a problem when accessing [app] from the Touchworks Panel. It is only a problem if you are accessing [app] from the Intranet and your default browser is Mozilla Firefox.
Instead of Mozilla Firefox you will need to use Internet Explorer by following these instructions.

How to use Internet Explorer to access [app] from the [intranet] website:

1. Press the *START* button, select *ALL PROGRAMS*, and then select *INTERNET EXPLORER*.

2. Direct *IE* to the following URL: [intranet site].

3. Press the *[app] (USE INTERNET EXPLORER ONLY)* option, as seen below.

Please contact the Technical Support Service Desk by emailing [support] for assistance with using Internet Explorer to access [app]

Come on, guys, this is loving clown shoes.

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Bobulus posted:

Someone at the other campus in our university, in the year of the lord 2016, decided to make a web-based program that only works in Internet Explorer.

Come on, guys, this is loving clown shoes.

Whatever it is, I suddenly don't need to use it so badly anymore.

mewse
May 2, 2006

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Whatever it is, I suddenly don't need to use it so badly anymore.

It's a university, I bet it's a requirement for some kinda bureaucratic paperwork

nullfunction
Jan 24, 2005

Nap Ghost

notwithoutmyanus posted:

When I say financial industry, it's a pretty large public bank, doing monitoring admin and cisco switch admin stuff. Is that any different than what everyone mentioned?

Sorry, didn't realize it was stupidly vague.

You'll probably see some dumb things that have been that way forever and nobody knows why. There will be red tape you have to cut through to accomplish pretty much anything. Legacy systems abound, and you'll probably get hit over the head a couple times a year by auditors. Security is a huge focus in the industry and the line of business will do almost everything in their power to get around whatever controls you have. You'll get dumb requests from users, poor direction from management, and have lazy coworkers who just want to stay off the radar.

So no, not really that different from working at a big company in any other industry.

In my experience, most of the tech folks working in the industry are generally pretty good at what they do. Some are even downright pleasant to work with. The leadership, however, is pretty evenly split between good leaders who want to get out of your way and let you succeed, and some of the most sociopathic humans on the planet.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

mewse posted:

It's a university, I bet it's a requirement for some kinda bureaucratic paperwork

I know a city who bought software in 2015 that needed an old version of IE with no plans to make it work with modern stuff. Why yes we can uninstall the new version of IE but you aren't going to get it to run on windows 8. No I'm aware no one likes windows 8, but windows 9 is probably around the corner. Turns out they named it 10, but point still stands, people will fork over tens of thousands of dollars for lovely software when much better stuff is cheaper. That software is expensive because they need to charge that much, they are going under fast because everyone is bailing on them.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

We had a demo for some VoIP recording appliance where the UI only functions properly in IE10.

Nope nope nope nope. They said that it was being upgraded 'this year' but a company with their eye so far off the ball just gives me the impression of incompetence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
A vendor came in.

I hear him talking to the secretary downstairs. I hear her say "You'd need to talk to our tech guys, let me see if he's in." I'm in the process of stepping out to run an errand, I don't have time for this poo poo. I'm so sick of vendors cold calling and I certainly won't abide them just waltzing into my goddamned office unannounced.

Apparently, his company leases and maintains the same copiers and printers we use at no cost, only charges per page (which is a fraction of what my current provider charges per page), and monitors the printers to automatically order toner/paper when low. It'll end up saving us close to $13k a year, according to my calculations.

My bullshit meter is going absolutely nuts, but I hope it's true cause I'm about fed up with our current printer company nickel and diming us to death over every little thing and then offering the worst maintenance I've ever seen.

• Locked thread