Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

Smythe posted:

my mom does this for free and also delivers soup + eskimo kisses. problem?

not at all, your mom owns

but it would kind of ruin the specialness if there was vc behind it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

triple sulk posted:

meanwhile, jet is almost assuredly going to die soon

they need 550 mil to not go broke at the end of the year. i tried it once and it took them like 4-5 days to get some paper towels sent to my house
Jet was awful and they were obviously on a fast track to crashing and burning up faster than united 93.

I bought a couple board games with some gilt coupon for super cheap from them though although the whole time I was half expecting it to never get shipped as their site was broke as hell. They seem to only use third party sellers, like newegg, some board game warehouse, or hell even Amazon itself, to do orders etc yet were somehow pricing poo poo insanely lower than the fufillers directly. Like one game I got they had for effectively $30, turns out later that it was "Fulfilled by Newegg" who had it listed for $90 so they must have made up the difference or drat close to it by spending out of their pocket. I like to imagine some VC money was spent subsidizing my order on some lovely site I have no intention of ever returning to, hell yeah.

also the whole shipping was shady as gently caress and they had zero communication. another red flag is they had no "inventory" control and would just let you buy whatever even if the "fulfillers" couldn't fulfill it so you might be mysteriously waiting 3+ weeks yet still charging you for out an out of stock item. The whole "costco of the internet" was a obvious lovely VC idea that i'm surprised they managed to open 5 offices and that they haven't crashed and burned up months ago.

i'm the 20% of workers with simultaneously a treadmill, standing, traditional desk, library group table, outside desk, and phone both.

Xaris fucked around with this message at 06:02 on Nov 5, 2015

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

Shifty Pony posted:

expedia is buying homeaway for $3.9b.

3.9 instagrams

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

kwinkles posted:

3.9 instagrams

otherwise known as 2/3rds of a candy crush,

or maybe a better metric is 1/5th of a WhatsApp. in fact, that's a bargain!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

who the gently caress eats chocolate for the caffeine content

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
remember when you saw that facebook had bought instagram and thought "wow, that's too much money for a loving photo app" ?

and now its like, huh instagram went for 1 billion? drat, that was some good business for facebook

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Smythe posted:

Can I pay your mom 60 a month to clothe me

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

A Yolo Wizard posted:

Can I pay your mom 60 a month to clothe me

my mom would do it, she's retired and has too much time on her hands. she even used to work in the garment industry designing clothes and went to Cornell (and studied clothes :v:)

maybe i should do a startup, have an old hippie lady clothe you for $60 a month.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

the new TPP explicitly says Internet memes are copyrighted for author's lifetime + 75 years

I am dead serious

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Luigi Thirty posted:

the new TPP explicitly says Internet memes are copyrighted for author's lifetime + 75 years

I am dead serious

le nice!

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
this one's for h.p. hovercraft: Programmers: Stop Calling Yourselves Engineers

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

Luigi Thirty posted:

I am dead serious

they already were now it applies to le asian me-mes as well

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

reading it i thought "he must be a civil engineer" - no mention of mechanical or electrical engineering let alone chemical, ag, etc.

no hes a game designer :wtc:

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

lol. dont tell this guy about all the tier2 comptuer janitors who call themselves "unix architects" or what-the-fuckever because they hooked up the plumbing on a couple of dr servers one time.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

and to no one's surprise the people in the comments are calling the author elitist, even though he's right about 99% of people who are software "engineers"

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

this is a good article

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Xaris posted:

Jet was awful and they were obviously on a fast track to crashing and burning up faster than united 93.

I bought a couple board games with some gilt coupon for super cheap from them though although the whole time I was half expecting it to never get shipped as their site was broke as hell. They seem to only use third party sellers, like newegg, some board game warehouse, or hell even Amazon itself, to do orders etc yet were somehow pricing poo poo insanely lower than the fufillers directly. Like one game I got they had for effectively $30, turns out later that it was "Fulfilled by Newegg" who had it listed for $90 so they must have made up the difference or drat close to it by spending out of their pocket. I like to imagine some VC money was spent subsidizing my order on some lovely site I have no intention of ever returning to, hell yeah.

also the whole shipping was shady as gently caress and they had zero communication. another red flag is they had no "inventory" control and would just let you buy whatever even if the "fulfillers" couldn't fulfill it so you might be mysteriously waiting 3+ weeks yet still charging you for out an out of stock item. The whole "costco of the internet" was a obvious lovely VC idea that i'm surprised they managed to open 5 offices and that they haven't crashed and burned up months ago.

i'm the 20% of workers with simultaneously a treadmill, standing, traditional desk, library group table, outside desk, and phone both.

It's weird because they were trying to follow the Costco model which is to sell most of your investory at cost or with very little margin but make up your revenue on memberships and secondary services like a/c installs and car buying programs and all the weird poo poo they have at the exit door. jet had stuff at or below amazon pricing and was going to have a $50/yr membership fee to offset costs.

except their growth was a bust and they had to but out the membership fee just to stay competitive. so now what're selling poo poo at or below amazon's pricing without amazon's volume, so margin is nothing. they don't have membership fees to fall back on and they don't offer any goofy 3rd party services to make up revenue.

i ordered one thing on jet and it was cheaper than amazon and got free shipping so my experience was good. however ever since jet opened amazon had been agressively price matching everything with free same-day shipping so why bother.

alos jet's site is a loving mess to navigate and they do this stupid thing where they show you a more expensive price when you search for an item but it suddenly becomes cheaper when you add to cart. like why the hell would you want your customer's first interaction with the site to be listing a more expensive price than amazon when it's cheaper if you start the checkout process?

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

triple sulk posted:

meanwhile, jet is almost assuredly going to die soon

they need 550 mil to not go broke at the end of the year. i tried it once and it took them like 4-5 days to get some paper towels sent to my house

this is dot-bomb as gently caress. seriously this could have been something from the late 90s, what the gently caress

ive seen their tv ads which don't explain anything at all about their service. just that they sell stuff. that's all. visiting their website still offered no reason why i would buy poo poo from jet as opposed to anywhere else ever

that article posted:

Over the summer, the company said it would spend $100 million on ads in the first 12 months after the site opened. In the recent plan, that total had grown to nearly $300 million.
Jet last month abandoned plans to sell $50 annual memberships for access to discounted prices
Jet rolled back its costly “concierge” service, which showed millions of product listings for items that Jet didn’t sell itself, the person said. When a customer bought one of these items, a Jet employee would order it for the customer from websites operated by Wal-Mart, Walgreens Boots Alliance Inc., Nordstrom Inc. and others, absorbing shipping costs itself.

goddamn amazing

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

FCKGW posted:

alos jet's site is a loving mess to navigate and they do this stupid thing where they show you a more expensive price when you search for an item but it suddenly becomes cheaper when you add to cart. like why the hell would you want your customer's first interaction with the site to be listing a more expensive price than amazon when it's cheaper if you start the checkout process?

from what i understand there's a legal/contractual thing going on, like how Newegg doesn't let you see certain fantastic deals until you add them to the cart.

nightbae smokewheat
Feb 11, 2011

bobbilljim posted:

last time i saw ads on facebook they were all super gay

you don't need to sign your posts

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

Awww a bloo bloo blooo little baby doesnt like being marketed to? little baby doesnt like ebing the demographic? well heres a newsflash: thats what being a Gamer feels like. Everywhere I turn it s HEY! GAMer! heres SOME MT DEW! andim like PLEASE, leave me alone. then I turn around and ITS DORITOS!! Im screaming now and cradling my head THE MASTER CHIEF NEEDS YOU TO SAVE THE HALO!! gently caress OFF!!! GO AWAY!!! Being a Gamer is Hell.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Parallel Paraplegic posted:

from what i understand there's a legal/contractual thing going on, like how Newegg doesn't let you see certain fantastic deals until you add them to the cart.

That's a MAP restriction, minimum advertised price. That isn't this, it is (or was last time I checked) literally everything was priced higher and they lowered the price when you added to cart to "show you" the savings with jet which is retarded. they also offer a 1.5% discount if you pay with a debit card which they don't tell you anywhere else at all and it just kinds shows up as a suprise.

https://www.boxed.com/ is another site that launched at the same time doing the exact same thing too but is slightly less dumb.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

also the site is down right now lol

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

FCKGW posted:

i read this as JEB! the first time

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Pussy Cartel
Jun 26, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Smythe posted:

Awww a bloo bloo blooo little baby doesnt like being marketed to? little baby doesnt like ebing the demographic? well heres a newsflash: thats what being a Gamer feels like. Everywhere I turn it s HEY! GAMer! heres SOME MT DEW! andim like PLEASE, leave me alone. then I turn around and ITS DORITOS!! Im screaming now and cradling my head THE MASTER CHIEF NEEDS YOU TO SAVE THE HALO!! gently caress OFF!!! GO AWAY!!! Being a Gamer is Hell.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

on the other hand, the new game fuel has a very pretty color

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

bobbilljim posted:

last time i saw ads on facebook they were all super gay

well that's what happens when you spend all drat day indiscriminately trolling facebook for dick

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

FCKGW posted:

i hope kumail got a boatload of money

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

smiley face licking eyeball like a gecko

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Smythe posted:

smythe your mom owns and she is better than you deserve

be sure and call her this weekend

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

FMguru posted:

smythe your mom owns and she is better than you deserve

be sure and call her this weekend

agreed and confirmed

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
also

quote:

dieselgate

lol

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

FCKGW posted:

That's a MAP restriction, minimum advertised price. That isn't this, it is (or was last time I checked) literally everything was priced higher and they lowered the price when you added to cart to "show you" the savings with jet which is retarded. they also offer a 1.5% discount if you pay with a debit card which they don't tell you anywhere else at all and it just kinds shows up as a suprise.

https://www.boxed.com/ is another site that launched at the same time doing the exact same thing too but is slightly less dumb.

aren't they doing something where stuff gets cheaper as long as it's from the same fulfillment center? could be that but badly expressed

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Munkeymon posted:

aren't they doing something where stuff gets cheaper as long as it's from the same fulfillment center? could be that but badly expressed

i thought it was more like "the more you put in the cart, the cheaper the cost!" but even x1 item was like 0.5% off or something stupid. or maybe it was the more you buy the same item the cheaper the cost? who knows the whole thing is stupid as poo poo, and it's even sadder that it's like Fidelity investments who've poo poo tons of money into their gaping maws

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

i caught this too

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Xaris posted:

i thought it was more like "the more you put in the cart, the cheaper the cost!" but even x1 item was like 0.5% off or something stupid. or maybe it was the more you buy the same item the cheaper the cost? who knows the whole thing is stupid as poo poo, and it's even sadder that it's like Fidelity investments who've poo poo tons of money into their gaping maws

it is basically quantity discounts for stuff coming from the same warehouse in an attempt to push up average order sizes. I guess they thought people would get excited about "saving more when they buy more!" or some bullshit but turns out people value straightforward pricing instead of seeing pennies come off the per item cost when you add ten bottles of detergent.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
john w texas • 3 hours ago

Until and unless all programmers everywhere are held liable for any harm caused by anything they have created, it should be a crime for them to call themselves engineers. Of course, they won't actually put in any effort to change this, because programmers are garbage "people" to the man and should be expunged from society.

Onlywifey • 5 hours ago

I should point out that in some parts of Europe, lower-level technical school graduates are also called "engineers". However, there are also degreed engineers, which makes it a bit confusing.

marathag • 5 hours ago

Garbage men being 'Sanitation Engineer'

spudwhisperer • 5 hours ago

Rapist = "Undocumented Husband"

i love reading comments

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

yeah and get this people that operate boilers call themselves "stationary engineers"

• Locked thread