Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

fadam posted:

So all the skins are buyable but poses emotes etc aren't?

Nope, everything is buyable. Seasonal stuff is just 3x the cost.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

Is the cooldown on wraith form short enough that you can avoid being frozen after the block? I've never tried it because mei isn't my target when I'm playing reaper, usually.

As someone else said above, you kill her before she can freeze you.

I am not a good Peeper, but here is my understanding of the fundamentals: most characters should die in 2 to 3 shots. If you are having drawn out engagements or you are reloading mid-fight, there are a few possibilities. Most likely you are outside melee/extremely close range. Another issue is just aiming/finessing your aim to include the head hitbox, especially on small characters like Ana or baby Dva. I have a lot of issues with Ana personally, for some reason. I am bad at tracking.

But 2 to 3 shots should always be your goal. You have some teachers on red team who will help you with this. Red reap is one. Go find him and pick a fight with him, then review the fight. Did he delete you in two shots? Watch his killcam to see how close he was and where he was aiming. Did you have a battle so drawn out that one of you wraithed away? That means you were fighting each other from too far and/or both of you had aiming issues.

Another good one is Roadhog. A lot of people don't like to fight Roadhog, he can take off your head in 1 or 2 shots. But as reap it is your job to be the hero your cowardly team does not deserve. This isn't going to happen if it takes you 6 shots to kill Roadhog. You need to kill him by shooting his head in 2 or 3 shots. If you can do this, Roadhog will be the one to know fear.

How to do it: first, be sure his hook is down by either observing him till you see it, or baiting it with wraith. The second method is obviously worse for multiple reasons, but it is an option for the Reaper who can kill Roadhog in 2 or 3 shots. Now the challenge is making him miss his "headshot", while scoring yours. This is about footwork- not standing right in front of him -and just making sure you are up his rear end (read: in your effective range) before he ever realizes you are there. If he takes a sippy, 1) that's why your guns have 8 shots, you can still kill him before reload, 2) be aware his head hitbox changes a bit during the animation.

If you are playing another character and see your reap or red reap wipe a Roadhog with great efficiency, try and snap a video of it so you can see where he was standing. Or, play Roadhog yourself and go fish 3shot kill cams off of red reap, if he can kill you.

So don't be like me and have this logic in your head, then ignore it when you get into the game. You can't just practice getting gold elims (and dying all the time in the process), you have to practice making efficient plays that keep you alive. Otherwise you are just practicing bad habits.

I solo queue in qp or sometimes with friends, barely played comp and no Reaper there, so I cannot speak to larger tactical formulas of being a good reap. Aside from aiming and footwork fundamentals, I would say the #1 thing that helps me when I actually think about it is to wait for my team to engage from the front and not just cruise around for picks, and not hop out behind the entire red team just because Mercy was exposed for a second when they have nothing else to distract them. Not only can this get you killed, but a lot of times I will say "okay, I got Mercy and Dva is out of suit, let's cap!" only to turn around and see my team's corpses littering the earth. At this point you need to look at the kill feed and figure out who is picking on your friends, and consider prioritizing them.

One other red team teacher I forgot: Symmetra. Don't laugh! Symmetra will let you know if you are good at tracking. If you can't delete her immediately, you are having tracking issues, because what Symmetra will do is run up into your effective range, then run in circles around you while hopping up and down.

In qp you can practice killing the same character over and over again if you want. Payload maps are best for just running around and training on headshots, but try and remember your efficient plays training too.

hth :)

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Rufio posted:

Where are all the people who whined about Bli$$ards lovely business practices in regards to event skins?

They very clearly responded to the outcry about the Summer Games skins :confused:

I dunno what you want or if you think this is some sick own

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib
Brawl is great for target practice and I burst out laughing when they introduced Reaper

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
thx for the spoilers unemployed dude

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
3X the cost for seasonal stuff is dope. I enjoy this compromise greatly, me and my 10K gold are pleased.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Rufio posted:

Where are all the people who whined about Bli$$ards lovely business practices in regards to event skins?

Everything is buyable this time, so I don't really are that they're extra expensive. The problem last time was it was 100% up to luck which was nonsense.

The brawl is pretty funny, but without any extra reward for doing it I can't imagine going back and playing it again.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

this is the first brawl that has ever been good

I hope they expand on this rather than removing it forever

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Snazzy Frocks posted:

thx for the spoilers unemployed dude

why dont you get to work

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Brawl is fun, but hooo boy does Reaper pack a punch on hard mode.
McCree is auto PotG every time though.

What happens when you 4 star the brawl? Looks like there is some kind of unlock.

I am soooo happy the event started with me being at rank 299 3/4ths...

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
Open my free box and seeing the gold coin flip up only for it to land as an Ana skin.

Yesterday I would have been overjoyed, today it's a gutting feeling :v:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

2MB posted:

To expand on this, you will not be able to purchase the skins once the event is over:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/785906457292050432

Save your credits now and buy what you didn't get on the last day.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

mcbexx posted:

What happens when you 4 star the brawl? Looks like there is some kind of unlock.

Nothing as far as I can tell. Maybe there's some ultra hard mode they'll unlock later?

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Blizzard is really good at keeping this game fresh.

Anyone tried to find and kill all the glowy eyed ravens on the Brawl map?
I can imagine there is some kind of easter egg ...

Edit: I just read that existing, unopened loot boxes will be turned into pumpkin boxes?
Whaaaat? Can someone confirm?
This is important for the christmas event ...

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Oct 11, 2016

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

terrified of my bathroom posted:

where's the widowmaker waifu, cause i just saw this and lmbo

https://twitter.com/videogamecrush/status/785894342502195200

I need it

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
Really wish D.va had a halloween skin tho :(

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

Troposphere posted:

a giant DVA pumpkin mech would've been amazing

Tiger Millionaire
Jan 25, 2014

He'll eat your kids and fire your parents!
I wish I could sell my 4 legendary skins across torb and bastion who I have spent a combined total of 0 minutes playing.

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

Technetium posted:

a giant DVA pumpkin mech would've been amazing

serious missed opportunity!

Knyteguy
Jul 6, 2005

YES to love
NO to shirts

Toilet Rascal

Troposphere posted:

Can't believe her mech didn't get a big pumpkin skin

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?
I would be upset about no halloween widowmaker but 1) honestly I never play her anymore and 2) she already has a vampire skin

JackDarko
Sep 30, 2009

"Amala, I've got a chainsaw on my arm. I'll be fine."
The missing Van Hellsing Mcree skin is the biggest gripe I have. I hope this doesn't mean only the Summer Game characters are going to get christmas skins. I don't enjoy the christmas flavor as much as I do the halloween variant.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

mcbexx posted:

Brawl is fun, but hooo boy does Reaper pack a punch on hard mode.
McCree is auto PotG every time though.

I am soooo happy the event started with me being at rank 299 3/4ths...

so far as I can tell, the locks are just there to gate how many stars you can get per difficulty. easy is 3 stars with 2 locks, for example

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
I have almost 14k credits saved up and i'm not buying a single halloween skin, until the day before it ends. This is the way to do it guys!

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

use your ults in the brawl!! you build it up so fast!! why are you not using your ults?? goddamnit now the reaper just ulted and we wiped

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

2MB posted:

Weird, Polygon is reporting that poses and stuff are RNG only.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

fadam posted:

They are wrong, I logged in when I ran home during lunch and all of them are buyable. The victory poses are 250, at least

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

This brawl shows how many players still have not figured out they need to kill Mercy first.
I am pretty sure Blizzard included her as a learning example.

Edit: Oh good, my first legendary pumpkin is Widow's "Odile".
And second legendary is "just" 500 coins.
Oooh boy, I am going to start drinking again, aren't I?

mcbexx fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Oct 11, 2016

Technetium
Oct 26, 2006

TRILOBITE TECHNICIAN
QUITE POSSIBLY GAY

JackDarko posted:

The missing Van Hellsing Mcree skin is the biggest gripe I have. I hope this doesn't mean only the Summer Game characters are going to get christmas skins. I don't enjoy the christmas flavor as much as I do the halloween variant.

I was hoping for the viking torb and admiral reinhardt skins from the comic but oh well

Thriller 76 is going to be my new soldier skin one way or the other

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

fadam posted:

75 for sprays and voice lines
225 for victory poses
750 for highlight intros and epic skins
3000 for legendary skins

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

2MB posted:

225 for victory poses
3000 for legendary skins

I wonder, if you get a dupe do you get 1/4 of these prices or the regular amount of gold?

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

mcbexx posted:

This brawl shows how many players still have not figured out they need to kill Mercy first.
I am pretty sure Blizzard included her as a learning example.

that final phase is incredibly easy if you duo ana/mcree (or if you communicate but lol). ana ult + mcree ult oneshots mercy, reaper, and will almost kill junkrat

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Papercut posted:

I wonder, if you get a dupe do you get 1/4 of these prices or the regular amount of gold?

The regular amount.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

terrified of my bathroom posted:

that final phase is incredibly easy if you duo ana/mcree (or if you communicate but lol). ana ult + mcree ult oneshots mercy, reaper, and will almost kill junkrat

I didn't even think you could McCree ult the bosses. Every time I tried it the circle would never decrease in size for the bosses

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS_rg75X-4A

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Console aiming changes in patch notes:

Controller users can now choose between two aiming modes

Dual-Zone mode (New default): The vast majority of the thumbstick's range moves with reduced sensitivity and relatively high acceleration. However, when the thumbstick crosses to the outer 10% of its range, it will move with high sensitivity and relatively low acceleration. This mode will allow for more precise aiming, while still allowing players to turn around quickly

Exponential Ramp mode (Old default): As the thumbstick moves toward the outside of its range, the sensitivity is ramped up exponentially. The acceleration remains relatively high throughout

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

The halloween sprays are p adorable

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I need that angry dad 76 spray.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

2MB posted:

225 for victory poses
3000 for legendary skins

Hot dog.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Suspicious Cook posted:

To expand on this, you will not be able to purchase the skins once the event is over:
https://twitter.com/PlayOverwatch/status/785906457292050432

Ok I'm back to being grumpy about it that's some real arbitrary poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Ok I'm back to being grumpy about it that's some real arbitrary poo poo

Are you kidding me? They're event rewards, in what world would they be available at any time other than the event?!? :psyduck: