Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Their widespread use encourages gentrification and further contributes to societal and climate problems.

I agree with you about cars on like a general level but if rich people didn't have cars they'd use helicopters or palanquins instead so cars really are not the main problem here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

A super common trait of depression is just to rationalise it by reasoning that the world really is that bad and you are just being clear sighted. It is a self perpetuating disease.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not really understanding why goons start from the premise that the world sucks but okay

Would you like a list?

Strategic Tea posted:

A super common trait of depression is just to rationalise it by reasoning that the world really is that bad and you are just being clear sighted. It is a self perpetuating disease.

I mean life is suffering, but suffering isn't life. We all fail at stuff and go on, as best we can, because it's the only thing we can do.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I know I'm not depressed because I have a job, work out almost everyday, interact with people, etc. Stuff like that, that I didn't do at all back when I'm pretty sure I was depressed tho never diagnosed.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

PHUO: The world is the best it's ever been and if you're in a privileged enough position to be reading this rather than starving to death you really should start blaming yourself instead of the world for how unhappy you are in it

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

PHUO: The world is the best it's ever been and if you're in a privileged enough position to be reading this rather than starving to death you really should start blaming yourself instead of the world for how unhappy you are in it

I can be sad for other people who aren't in as advantageous a position and try and help. The belief that somehow "the world is great, shut up" is actively opposed to this. The fact that there are still people starving to death when we have food enough for all is but one example of why things are a tad hosed and the world isn't as good a place as it should be.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Manager Hoyden posted:

This really is a philosophical question. If you say the world is at it's best because there are more humans living comfortably, ok, that is a metric.

Think of it as a video game, if you quaff a potion that gives 10x stats in everything for 1 minute and then you die, you would be the best you've ever been for a moment, and then the potion runs out.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Do you people think the world is about to die

Is that what the death potion is in this metaphor

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Manager Hoyden posted:

Do you people think the world is about to die

Is that what the death potion is in this metaphor

I would assume that doverhog is talking about climate change. The idea being that it is an inevitability that our own mode of living crashing back and causing untold harm across the world. It might not be one you subscribe to, but it is one that a lot of folks hold.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Not like right now, but we are living in a global extinction event, and as global warming progresses it's just gonna get worse. Most of the fish are dead and the ones left are full of micro-plastic.

I'll admit to being a pessimist so maybe Elon Musk or Jeff Bezos, who control a ridiculous and constantly increasing amount of wealth and political power, will save us, but best not hold your breath.

*it's not gonna be the end of life, or even human civilization, but the current path is likely to hit a wall

doverhog has a new favorite as of 20:57 on May 22, 2021

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Car Guys are worse than Gun Guys.

In an ideal world, gun hobbies can be practiced with complete safety. In an ideal world, there will be 0 cars and the only reason to ever use one is to get from A to B in your nerdy little fuel efficient liberalmobile. Cars and their industry are actively destroying the planet for everyone by existing. Their widespread use encourages gentrification and further contributes to societal and climate problems. Also cars kill more people violently than guns by an order of magnitude.

Counterpoint: car owners generally don't fantasise about driving their car downstairs in the middle of the night to kill black people intruders, or using their car to survive black people rising up against systemic racism a zombie apocalypse.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Florida just legalized driving through a protest running people over.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Guyver posted:

Florida just legalized driving through a protest running people over.

... I withdraw my counterpoint.

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic
To be fair, the circle of people who fantasize about “justifiably” murdering people with a car fits entirely in the circle of gun owners on a Venn diagram.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I said in an ideal world. Those people are institutionalized or reformed in the ideal world.

Typing this I realize what a Stalin I'd be if I had dictatorial powers

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Sunswipe posted:

Counterpoint: car owners generally don't fantasise about driving their car downstairs in the middle of the night to kill black people intruders, or using their car to survive black people rising up against systemic racism a zombie apocalypse.

No they just fantasize about running over protesters, cyclists, or people who cut them off in traffic.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Any society in which I can be watching Starship Troopers within 90 seconds of deciding to do so is basically heaven

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

Not really understanding why goons start from the premise that the world sucks but okay

It is a vampire

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Cyclists do not belong on the road anymore than cars belong on train tracks or motorcycles on sidewalks

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

Cyclists do not belong on the road anymore than cars belong on train tracks or motorcycles on sidewalks

Cyclists belong on the road.

However, cyclists who don’t follow the rules of the road should receive very expensive tickets. If you blowing through a stop sign or red light to save 30 seconds could make someone a murderer, it should come with a very hefty fine.

That said, bike lanes are really nice when available.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Idaho Stop should exist everywhere except at specific intersections where conditions dictate otherwise.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

Cyclists belong on the road.

However, cyclists who don’t follow the rules of the road should receive very expensive tickets. If you blowing through a stop sign or red light to save 30 seconds could make someone a murderer, it should come with a very hefty fine.

That said, bike lanes are really nice when available.

Also all bicyclists need to wear helmets at all times and I can’t believe there are people out there that think they shouldn’t.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

Gaius Marius posted:

Bicycling is a terrible form of transit. I suspect that the reason why municipalities build bike lanes is to appease the left-wing constituents without having to spend the huge amounts of money on real non-car transit.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
Phou: “grindy” gets used as a pejorative for video games too often. Sometimes it’s nice to be able to sit down with a game and kind of zone out and feel like you made progress.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Bike lanes are bad and literally everyone hates them.

Either build separate bikeways or accept that cyclists will ride on city streets.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
We need more bike lanes and we need to dump way way more money into public transport so there will be less traffic for me specifically when I drive.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

The problem really isn't cars, it's the lovely suburb sprawl that forces people to use cars. In a proper city you can walk to the closest metro or tram stop and get to everywhere you need to go.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I've lived in cities where it's like that and I still prefer having a car. You get to go whenever you want instead of following a schedule, you get to not deal with other people, and you aren't limited to buying/bringing only what you can carry in one trip.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

There is a trade off, yeah. On the other side is that you don't have to buy a car, maintain it, find parking, etc. and also all the environmental stuff.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Cars are pretty nice when there’s a pandemic in the air, not gonna lie.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I like Star Wars novels. I think the Legends continuity stuff is neat, and I'm eternally disappointed we'll never see the Yuuzhan Vong.

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
Yes some of my friends that live in the city don't have a car and are able to walk around and do everything themselves just with Transit and that's cool. But I live out in The burbs and I have a house that's a little too big for me and was like half the price of renting in the city and I just drive to work early in the morning so it's pretty great.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Also all bicyclists need to wear helmets at all times and I can’t believe there are people out there that think they shouldn’t.

Only nerds wear Helmets.

Platystemon posted:

Cars are pretty nice when there’s a pandemic in the air, not gonna lie.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I've lived in cities where it's like that and I still prefer having a car. You get to go whenever you want instead of following a schedule, you get to not deal with other people, and you aren't limited to buying/bringing only what you can carry in one trip.

gently caress cars, everything should be within walking distance. Not bus distance, not subway distance, not taxi distance. If there's something more than five miles away it should be functionally non existent

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I thought only nerds wore helmets and now I have brain damage. Sometimes numbers taste like sounds. Wear a helmet.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

a ninth century European peasant post posted:

If there's something more than five miles away it should be functionally non existent

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I feel like the solution to the kink at Pride discourse is that whenever someone objects to people being too sexual at Pride, you simply respond with "Yeah, I hate seeing people be so shameless at Pride!" And if they keep trying to argue you just keep responding with variants on that until they stop talking.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Being Elon Musk or Bill Gates sucks more than being Joe Rogaine or Howard Stern.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Being Joe Rogan seems kinda awesome. Just sit around chatting to your friends all day getting high and getting paid millions for it.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Robobot posted:

Being Joe Rogan seems kinda awesome. Just sit around chatting to your friends all day getting high and getting paid millions for it.

Yeah I mean I'd rather be dead than any of the four but I was just comparing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Ngl I love joseph rogan

I don't really pay attention to anything he does but man he is good at making twitter garbagebabies piss their pants with impotent rage just by being successful and living his best life