Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Buschmaki posted:

The training validation moment happened to me today.

Been training for 7 months and rolled against newer people. They were trying to use strength while I did the annoying thing of just putting my frames in and staring off into space while they gassed themselves out.

You have the mentallity of a grizzled purple belt with that attitude, keep it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whats for dinner
Sep 25, 2006

IT TURN OUT METAL FOR DINNER!

Buschmaki posted:

Been training for 7 months and rolled against newer people. They were trying to use strength while I did the annoying thing of just putting my frames in and staring off into space while they gassed themselves out.

:nice:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.

Jack B Nimble posted:

I was going to say that Daffy Duck's mix of unwarranted confidence, perplexed bafflement, and dejected capitulation is the perfect avatar for my grappling.

I'd welcome anyone wearing Daffy or Sylvester, I'm going to be suspicious of anyone with Taz.

Appropriately enough, just a couple weeks back, someone at the gym was wondering out loud who would be the the patron saint/mascot for white belts, and I suggested Taz. Very aggro, makes lots of noise, flings himself all over the place, doesn't accomplish much, etc. Contrast with:

Buschmaki posted:

It's such a great feeling. Trolling potential aside, the better you get at unconsciously defending like this, the more you'll start to see people overcommitting in ways that let you sweep them with little to no effort, which is an even better feeling.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Nestharken posted:

and I suggested Taz.

I was confused jones over here about which Taz you where talking about.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want warhammer rashguards

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

Pron on VHS posted:

I want warhammer rashguards

I don't know if I mentioned ITT the first custom printed rashguard I got on Amazon was a magic card, the original Demonic Tutor art.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

If I were to add a new belt to bjj it would be awarded at that exact moment of realizing how bad new people are and suddenly seeing how far you've come.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

CommonShore posted:

If I were to add a new belt to bjj it would be awarded at that exact moment of realizing how bad new people are and suddenly seeing how far you've come.

...blue?

e: I guess it would be more at 2 stripe white or something

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Count Roland posted:

...blue?

e: I guess it would be more at 2 stripe white or something

Some places promote to blue there yeah but it doesn't line up with competitive divisions that well. 2 stripe white is probably it.

Really, it's the judo yellow belt - I give a yellow belt when I feel someone knows enough to compete safely, which includes breakfalls but also knowing enough judo to play the game of judo.

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.
I know a few places that do adult green belts for this reason.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

I’m wrapping up a two month training trip in southern Italy and I gotta say European judo is as good as advertised. The high level players are no slouches on the ground and the gripping game is a menace.

Got to work out with some EU champs and medalists, world medalists, and for anyone who wants to expose themselves to some elite grappling training, take a trip to the Naples area. Be warned though, these are not beginner classes, especially at the more serious gyms.

duckdealer
Feb 28, 2011

wedgie deliverer posted:

I’m wrapping up a two month training trip in southern Italy and I gotta say European judo is as good as advertised. The high level players are no slouches on the ground and the gripping game is a menace.

Got to work out with some EU champs and medalists, world medalists, and for anyone who wants to expose themselves to some elite grappling training, take a trip to the Naples area. Be warned though, these are not beginner classes, especially at the more serious gyms.

Sounds like a great time that I want no part of (as I would die)!

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

apparently Nicky Ryan submitted JT Torres over the weekend which is a ~big deal~ in the pro-scene given JT Torres is a) incredibly talented and realy good and b) he doesn't get submitted.

it was via ankle lock.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Green Toad posted:

apparently Nicky Ryan submitted JT Torres over the weekend which is a ~big deal~ in the pro-scene given JT Torres is a) incredibly talented and realy good and b) he doesn't get submitted.

it was via ankle lock.

it was a wild finishing sequence. Apparently jt hasnt been subbed in comp in 11 years...?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

wedgie deliverer posted:

Your trip was first and foremost for judo training?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Green Toad posted:

it was via ankle lock.

Wow. I would not have expected that. Especially via an ankle lock.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Nicky got him with the honeystick (10p name, not sure what else to call it) counter to the saddle

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Karate Pit Submission, WNO, ADCC, and now BDCC. Grappling fans eatin good!!

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I had to look up BDCC. Hilarious.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

Yeah Craig is supposedly trying to get a 32 man tournament going with a prize pool of $1mil. Would be legit cool if he did.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
also same weekend as ADCC

stramit
Dec 9, 2004
Ask me about making games instead of gains.

Green Toad posted:

Yeah Craig is supposedly trying to get a 32 man tournament going with a prize pool of $1mil. Would be legit cool if he did.

First place 1M, prize pool ~2M, 10k just to show. To put it in perspective adcc first place is 10k.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

starkebn posted:

also same weekend as ADCC

i'd honestly watch it over ADCC if its not through FloGrappling and is on something actually reasonably priced.

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Green Toad posted:

i'd honestly watch it over ADCC if its not through FloGrappling and is on something actually reasonably priced.

Craig hinted on Reddit that it'd be free to watch/stream. It'll be interesting if he's actually able to pull it off.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

musclecoder posted:

Craig hinted on Reddit that it'd be free to watch/stream. It'll be interesting if he's actually able to pull it off.

Free to stream? How in the world would he raise the prize money?

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Crypto. Yes I'm serious.

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

butros posted:

Crypto. Yes I'm serious.

Doesnt Flo already have crypto advertisers that contribute to their platform? I forget which one it is.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Craig is doing it specifically to troll Mo Jassim, and the owners of ADCC. It's an expensive troll but he is so charismatic I'm sure he's gotten some rich pricks to fund it for laughs and they're willing to lose money on the first one.

Hellblazer187
Oct 12, 2003

I watched the Josh Barnett tape on achilles locks (aka straight ankle lock), and while I was not able to get any taps with it, grabbing the foot in a threatening manner DID work out in terms of creating more opportunities to pass guard. So, who is to say what is real and what is not real, good and not good, material and immaterial. They are all the same when you grab the foot in a threatening manner.

On here I call them tapes, in class when I mention what I'm watching I call them DVDs. They are neither, but I am older than the sun and the moon (42) so these are the terms I use.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Hellblazer187 posted:

I watched the Josh Barnett tape on achilles locks (aka straight ankle lock), and while I was not able to get any taps with it, grabbing the foot in a threatening manner DID work out in terms of creating more opportunities to pass guard. So, who is to say what is real and what is not real, good and not good, material and immaterial. They are all the same when you grab the foot in a threatening manner.

On here I call them tapes, in class when I mention what I'm watching I call them DVDs. They are neither, but I am older than the sun and the moon (42) so these are the terms I use.

today I literally made a threatening face and grabbed someone's foot with two hands, right after I had cloverleafed him, and he didn't react in any big way :(

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

CommonShore posted:

today I literally made a threatening face and grabbed someone's foot with two hands, right after I had cloverleafed him, and he didn't react in any big way :(

Did it cost you anything?

Tacos Al Pastor
Jun 20, 2003

Speaking of leglocks (my excuse the pun, my "achilles heel"), we have been working escapes. At some point I am going to have to trust my training partners with escaping from some positions, its just hard for me. I feel like a white belt all over again.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Jack B Nimble posted:

Did it cost you anything?

hmmm I guess not. Maybe a bit of theatrical energy.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
I know no one here is a doctor, but do I have to go to a doctor for staph? I have some gross pimples but started a new job recently and dont have health insurance for like 2 more weeks

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Are you in the USA? An "urgent care" type nurse practitioner can get you antibiotics I think? This is probably a better subject for the goon healthcare mega thread that exists somewhere.

Edit: I would go to a clinic, is what I'm saying.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
yeah I'm in the US, which is why I'm antsy to do that cause that stuff costs money

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
And just to clarify, since ive noticed this ive been stayin off the dang mat!!! 🫡

musclecoder
Oct 23, 2006

I'm all about meeting girls. I'm all about meeting guys.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Are you in the USA? An "urgent care" type nurse practitioner can get you antibiotics I think? This is probably a better subject for the goon healthcare mega thread that exists somewhere.

Edit: I would go to a clinic, is what I'm saying.

If you've got insurance, they may offer a telehealth service where you can "see" a doctor or nurse practitioner to get some antibiotics on the cheap.

Chansey
Jan 18, 2024

Buschmaki posted:

I know no one here is a doctor, but do I have to go to a doctor for staph? I have some gross pimples but started a new job recently and dont have health insurance for like 2 more weeks

i recently got, and have since recovered from, MRSA on my knee. i went pretty much immediately when i saw the area looking dodgy. So, personally, yes I would recommend going to a Dr but if you're in the hellscape of the US healthcare system then that adds a wrinkle of complexity you know?

Antibiotics for staph can be specific, and especially so for MRSA as that's just Overeem level of staph.

I think any form of skin irritation/infection needs to be taken care of immediately if you're doing this or similar sports/hobbies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

Green Toad posted:

I think any form of skin irritation/infection needs to be taken care of immediately if you're doing this or similar sports/hobbies.