Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Kheldarn posted:

My last thought is that they REALLY need to make sure Minor NPCs don't use the same model parts as Major NPCs. When we talked to the guy who was with Lou at the end, all I saw was Thancred.

That Was Thancred

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

You know, in retrospect, it is amazing how much epilogue and nostalgia stuff Heavensward and Ishgard gets compared to everything else. It's own epilogue questline, the restoration, Estinien in general... I understand it's the first expansion and all but it kind of seems excessive.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Hellioning posted:

You know, in retrospect, it is amazing how much epilogue and nostalgia stuff Heavensward and Ishgard gets compared to everything else. It's own epilogue questline, the restoration, Estinien in general... I understand it's the first expansion and all but it kind of seems excessive.
In a lot of ways, we saved Ishgard in a way we didn't save anywhere else.

Also, sad elf men

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Hellioning posted:

Because HW is kinda when this game made it, in terms of player count. SB not so much. Neither as meteoric as SHB but all those npc's aren't on the source and they don't celebrate the rising on the 1st (uhh I guess?).

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Hellioning posted:

It is technically our official adoptive home.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Also the other expacs got most if not all of those things.

HW's are just more involved because a lot of them were back filled after getting multiple trial forms in other formats. Like the restoration is just kind of the Doman restoration but bigger and more involved and using content that was already made but had been retooled for it. The crystallarium and Sharlya cut the rebuilding and instead got to have the entire DoH/DoL side content focused entirely on the regional specific problems and writing. ShB's epilogue got written into the MSQ in 5.3, EW has it as the tataru questline and the beast tribes and the Omega questlines.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 28, 2023

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Hellioning posted:

The worst part about this isn't actually that Ishgard doesn't deserve it--because yeah, every individual part of it makes sense and it's kinda just got all that by sheer longetivity--but that it's led to Ishgard Likers within the fanbase getting really entitled and narrow-focused. That surely everything will somehow lead to Ishgard content, we'll get an Ishgard variant dungeon with Aymeric before going anywhere else with them, and come to think of it, hasn't Aymeric been really neglected over time, since the last time he got a voice line was sometime in Shadowbringers, and he's only had the Ishgardian restoration and Endwalker caster role quest since! (They of course, do not care that Hien hasn't had a line since Stormblood.) It's inevitable that whenever we learn there's a 'slot' for future content, but don't yet know what it is, that the leading guess will be 'Something Ishgardian' not because it's plausible or interesting, but because a huge swathe of the community has a huge crush on Aymeric and still thinks we should get Haurchefant Mourning Content.

Garlemald Likers are in the same place right now, but in that case it's kinda funny. Dawntrail is the first time that the Empire isn't a major bullet point on an expansion outline, and they don't really know how to deal with it and are just randomly speculating 'maybe there's a Garlean Legion that's been in Tural this whole time, you don't know'.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

I think one factor is that Ishgard is *everything* in Heavensward. It's our starting city, the full focus of the plot, home to the characters we like, every other expansion those are spread around. We might do stuff in Kugane but we're not interacting with the power players. Doma likes us but their only city is the Enclave. Ala Mhigo's got a nice city full of people who could talk about changes but it's not fleshed out for exploration since Rhalgr's is the camp there. Similar attention split for Crystarium/Eulmore and Radz/Sharlayan.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Bruceski posted:

I think one factor is that Ishgard is *everything* in Heavensward. It's our starting city, the full focus of the plot, home to the characters we like, every other expansion those are spread around. We might do stuff in Kugane but we're not interacting with the power players. Doma likes us but their only city is the Enclave. Ala Mhigo's got a nice city full of people who could talk about changes but it's not fleshed out for exploration since Rhalgr's is the camp there. Similar attention split for Crystarium/Eulmore and Radz/Sharlayan.

This makes the most sense to me, yes, thank you.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

Bruceski posted:

Well there is Idyllshire, which gets a lot of stuff going on too to be fair. I'd actually say the Crystarium does get a lot of the similar focus that Ishgard gets when it is "plausible". But from a narrative perspective the Crystarium has a problem where it's a place that only the Warrior of Light can be at from the main cast, and we didn't quite flesh out anyone but the Scions/G'raha on the First during ShB to begin with.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Heavensward annoyed me because Ishgard is actually on the periphery for most of the 3.0 story. They've got a minor foothold in Coerthas Western Highlands, a toehold in the Sea of Clouds (which might as well be floating off over the middle of the Burn for all of a sense of place it has), and that's it, you don't even have to check in with the city much beyond a few progress reports to Aymeric. The Dravanian Forelands and the Churning Mists are, sort of the dragon part of the world, though they've got about as much space as the Ishgardians do in the first two areas with the trappers and gnath and moogles about elsewhere. A third of it is running about with Estinien and Ysayle, a third is running errands back in ARR zones, and then finally it's goblins, vanu vanu, and allagans again. Your big cheers are for going off to kill the pope and his knights right after everyone in Ishgard was gearing up for a big fight with Nidhogg's bunch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rand Brittain posted:

Is it just me or is Nhagi threatening to join the MSQ? That's practically unprecedented for a character from the seasonal events, isn't it?
he'll probably show up in tural but i doubt he'll be in the msq. random shot in the dark is that the expedition he's joining will be part of the island sanctuary-esque side content for dawntrail, like maybe a management game where you set up trade routes or something.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also someday they'll make ala mhigo an actual city. i believe.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Endorph posted:

drat, dreamin big here

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

Endorph posted:

Have any of the other major cities started out as a part of the larger overworld map before becoming its own zone?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

God Hole posted:

Have any of the other major cities started out as a part of the larger overworld map before becoming its own zone?

Coerthas/Ishgard. You could really twist the question to fit Sharlayan into it, but we'd all know you're bullshitting.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think Radz/Thavnair were on the map starting from Stormblood but we had no idea what it was like until we visited. Big fan of the place imo, it certainly isn't typical for fantasy while still feeling grounded (ish)

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

The Louisoux quest was also cool, nice to include some 1.X lore inside the game beyond Coils. Though not having the twins give a word about the grandpa they emulated was something I disliked, but I guess the biographer wanted mostly Eorzean points of views of Louisoux in his final days.

I think this is more of a game limitation thing -- its a lvl 50 quest and the writing doesn't know where you would be in the msq at the time. I guess you could have old model boy wonder Alphanaud show up for a line or two but that would be weird for anyone who has gotten to Heavensward

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Nessus posted:

I think Radz/Thavnair were on the map starting from Stormblood but we had no idea what it was like until we visited. Big fan of the place imo, it certainly isn't typical for fantasy while still feeling grounded (ish)

We had the context of 'home of alchemy' I think from 2.0. I can't tell quite when it was known to be Fantasy India, but at the latest I'd say that was 3.0, with the Thavnairian glamor sets.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
The next Rising short story is out, and oh poo poo, it's a story specifically to appeal to me and literally nobody else, about a character only I like!

...so we got an answer as to 'where did the body go', but not an answer to 'who moved the body?'

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Well considering where his body went, it wouldn't be entirely unfair to guess that he did, and that he had just barely enough strength to bring himself to die at his daughters' graves. A heroic effort and tragic end for a guy who went unliked by a lot of people.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

Yeah, I agree that's the most likely solution to that mystery.

The story also puts a new light on Ran'jit being so obsessed with keeping Ryne locked up. Not only because the trauma of all the previous Minfillias dying, but also because Vauthry (the man who could hold control over the otherwise endless Sin Eaters) wished her to be dead and her future selves too, and he thought it was the only way for Vauthry not to kill her.

I do wonder how did Vauthry dream of that. Is it because as part Sin Eater he's connected to the light like Minfillia? Was it a power of his? Or did an Ascian give him the dream? (Last one not likely, just throwing ideas out)

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

Cleretic posted:

We had the context of 'home of alchemy' I think from 2.0. I can't tell quite when it was known to be Fantasy India, but at the latest I'd say that was 3.0, with the Thavnairian glamor sets.

The HW Alc questline had Thavnarian clothing that doesn't look like the as-we-now-know Thavnair type of design though, right? Unless I'm severely misremembering. I was just wondering about this the other day actually, when Thavnair became Thavnair if you know what I mean.

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

A nice story, but I'm not sure the middle of a standoff with a Reaper who's trying to kill you is the right time to fall into a reverie.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

TheWorldsaStage posted:

The HW Alc questline had Thavnarian clothing that doesn't look like the as-we-now-know Thavnair type of design though, right? Unless I'm severely misremembering. I was just wondering about this the other day actually, when Thavnair became Thavnair if you know what I mean.
Thavnair still had a lot of space and it settled down a little differently than I had expected myself, but it does seem like it was always going to be somewhere in between Iran and Burma in terms of culture/aesthetics/food. I had actually expected it to be more Persian than it ended up being.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015
I'm just amused that Thavnarian food's spicy tendencies led to my realization that one of my long-standing characters loves spicy food - something I should have realized a long time ago, given other details I know about him.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Bruceski posted:

A nice story, but I'm not sure the middle of a standoff with a Reaper who's trying to kill you is the right time to fall into a reverie.

There was no standoff. The Reaper tried to ambush Thancred, got parried, and was knocked out by Thancred's counterattack.

Bringer of Shadow, Bringer of Light posted:

A solitary creak of leather served as a prelude to the attack. In one fluid motion, he turned and drew his sword, deflecting the slash which would otherwise have opened him from stem to stern, and dove forward into his opponent, jerking his elbow sharply upwards as he did so. The sound of crunching teeth was his reward. His assailant staggered backwards, dropped his scythe, and fell mutely into the waiting snow.

"Let's call this one a draw and go our separate ways, shall we?" Thancred had come only to observe.

Although the Scions of the Seventh Dawn had officially disbanded, he maintained a lone vigil. It was all he could do to honor the memory of the woman he had loved like a sister─the woman who had given her life to save what she held dear. For the time being, a tentative peace had settled upon the world, it was true, but whispers of unrest within Garlemald had lured him from his leisure. Thancred regarded the motionless form of his would-be assassin. Clothed entirely in black, only his eyes were exposed to the elements. The deep creases in their corners marked the man as a seasoned veteran─doubtless he belonged to the Reapers, agents of the empire who culled its enemies before the advent of magitek. Clinging to the tattered glory of his nation, this lone survivor had likely identified him as an outsider, and thus a target for elimination. Bad luck.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Live, laugh, kupo!

W.T. Fits posted:

There was no standoff. The Reaper tried to ambush Thancred, got parried, and was knocked out by Thancred's counterattack.

My mistake, I missed that he dropped. I thought he was mutely facing him sizing him up and Thancred's next line was telling him to back off. Found it odd that hadn't been resolved.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

TheWorldsaStage
Sep 10, 2020

:aaa:

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

At least she didn't Julyan us

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Alas, that we did not get two RP duties as each twin beating the poo poo out of Fourchenault to assert their independence

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
is...is that alas?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I always knew Godbert was alpha canon.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Blockhouse posted:

is...is that alas?

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Blockhouse posted:

is...is that alas?

One is. The other is alph.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

I understand that some things have to be weird in order to make the story make sense.

But, like, for the loporrit quests, is there any reason given for why Counselingway and the other people rabbits don't just go live on Etheirys? Or at least visit? Why are they acting like they'll never truly know if they have an audience, they can take a trip down to Garlemald pretty quickly!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

The Loporitts aren't always the brightest cookies on (or above) Hydaelyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Hellioning posted:

I understand that some things have to be weird in order to make the story make sense.

But, like, for the loporrit quests, is there any reason given for why Counselingway and the other people rabbits don't just go live on Etheirys? Or at least visit? Why are they acting like they'll never truly know if they have an audience, they can take a trip down to Garlemald pretty quickly!

The loporrits are smart, but they're also kind of dumb imo. I bet the capstone quest is going to involve some of that.