Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."

Dawgstar posted:

Yeah, Tiger is our POV character and also his boyfriend disappeared due to Cobra-related shenanigans. Allor has also messed with a couple of old standby's ethnicities, like Flint is now Frontier and was originally born in Pakistan. Or rather I guess he could still introduce Flint but Frontier has all of his markers up to and being involved with Lady Jaye. Tiger himself is a Cambodian immigrant so naturally Hisstank shrieks 'political!' while recoiling like somebody brandished a cross at them.

I think the tunnel rat issue is my favorite currently, just a brutal series and I'm loving it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

I think the tunnel rat issue is my favorite currently, just a brutal series and I'm loving it.

I appreciate it having major Bludd be an interesting character.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
I have some action figures that I'm looking to sell. Is Ebay my best option or is there a better place these days?

I've been out of the market for years.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What kind? The Mercari app has been hassle free for me as far as buying for a few months now. There's also the horror of FB groups but I made almost $1000 off one TF group.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Snacksmaniac posted:

The neo geo people I’ve talked to are the nicer ones! Stay away from pinball.

Pinside forums are the worst. I never hung around KLOV enough to know if it's as bad. The flipside is I've made friends with local pinball players, you get the full gamut of personalities but it's mostly been good. The collectors though - no.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

roffels posted:

Pinside forums are the worst. I never hung around KLOV enough to know if it's as bad. The flipside is I've made friends with local pinball players, you get the full gamut of personalities but it's mostly been good. The collectors though - no.

Holy poo poo yes. We have a thriving pinball community here and there's a purist rear end in a top hat constantly screaming that the classic machines need to be preserved. He got himself banned from the local barcade in record time and is constantly making new FB accounts to trash them.

Agrias120
Jun 27, 2002

I will burn my dread.

Ok, gently caress it, I'm gonna do it. I'm finally gonna buy my first Hot Toys. Miles Morales and Ahsoka were the first to push me over the edge. But I'm already scoping out the Spider-Gwen, so it's going to be a slippery slope. I guess on the bright side, I can sell off most of my smaller scale figures as I focus on these.

Snacksmaniac posted:

The neo geo people I’ve talked to are the nicer ones! Stay away from pinball.

The actual NG people I know or have met in real life are great. It's just the actual NG Forums that were a cesspool of weird cliques and gatekeeping, at least when I was spending a lot of time on arcade forums like 10 years ago. Hopefully your experience means it's better now!

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Holy poo poo yes. We have a thriving pinball community here and there's a purist rear end in a top hat constantly screaming that the classic machines need to be preserved. He got himself banned from the local barcade in record time and is constantly making new FB accounts to trash them.

I ran an arcade here with pinball tournaments for about a year and the way some of the people were, having the excuse to shut down because of CV was a blessing.

I've had good luck with KLOV (fast sales of parts, people walking me through some weird boards) but my account got messed up so I don't hang out there.

And yes, Pinside is garbo.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

Rhyno posted:

What kind? The Mercari app has been hassle free for me as far as buying for a few months now. There's also the horror of FB groups but I made almost $1000 off one TF group.

I have some MOTU stuff and also some SDCC exclusives.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Definitely list your MOTU here first, im still looking for a few things!

Nerd Of Prey
Aug 10, 2002

Ditto on the MOTU... I have several 200x guys I still want to get, and I'm also on the lookout for a good deal on Classics Bubble Power She-Ra.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
Speaking of MOTU, I've given up hope of finding a complete vintage Scare Glow within my budget.

Therefore, I've got an Origins version on the way to me. He's close enough in style that he won't look out of place with my vintage collection.

Sooper Gila
Apr 23, 2014

Love
Peace
and Harmony

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

I've read every G.I. Joe issue Hama wrote for Marvel and the vast majority he has written for IDW. It was definitely less "ooh-rah" jingoistic than the cartoon, with real consequences to violence and war. The stories and characterizations are A LOT better, too.

But the best G.I. Joe story ever, in any medium, is Cobra: The Last Laugh, by Christos Gage, Mike Costa, and Antonio Fuso. It's brilliant, and anyone with any enduring fandom, nostalgic love, or passing interest for G.I. Joe should read it. Even if you don't, it's a drat good comic in its own right. The slightly oversized hardcover sells for $50 and has been out of print for years, but a $30 TPB is finally due out next month, and hopefully it isn't delayed any further. I'll finally own my own copy of it soon.

Agree with all this, though I've read the IDW Hama series sporadically, I kind of just tune in and pick up an issue here or there once a year and enjoy it, as it's still got that Shooter era Marvel quality where you can just jump in and off at any time to it despite having long term storylines.

The Costa Joe stuff was fantastic, it's a "mature" GI Joe story but not in the way that term gets thrown around in comic book marketing, it's not gratuitous or grim and gritty, but it is very serious in it's approach and execution beyond anything else done with Joe's. The tone is more along the lines of a book like Sleeper but starring Chuckles.

I haven't read the current run, after seeing the comments here I'm going to see if I can hunt some down this week.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Pitwar posted:

Speaking of MOTU, I've given up hope of finding a complete vintage Scare Glow within my budget.

Therefore, I've got an Origins version on the way to me. He's close enough in style that he won't look out of place with my vintage collection.

Prices are pretty poo poo on the vintage but if you can live with reproduction accessories you can save $75

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Kind of annoyed they are changing the characters from my youth into something new, but at the same time I can understand it. Anyone know the new snake eyes story? I remember the original one was he got all scarred up when a helicopter engine blew up in his face back in 'Nam.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Rhyno posted:

Prices are pretty poo poo on the vintage but if you can live with reproduction accessories you can save $75

Yeah, that doesn't bother me too much. My Faker has a repro sword as I lost mine at some point as a kid.

Scare Glow without his cape or staff still seems to fetch a high price here in the UK. I guess he wasn't widely available over here so that's why he's so expensive, same with Randor and Sorceress.

I remember seeing this full range in a big toy shop when I was a kid, but at that stage I'd kinda moved on from MOTU so that's why I didn't pick the above three up.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Oooh, yeah outside the US i can't help you. Seen a dozen of them drop under $190 in the last month, even lower if you're okay with stains from the original cape.

I overpaid but it was a incredibly clean copy, no stains, no cracks.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Sooper Gila posted:

Agree with all this, though I've read the IDW Hama series sporadically, I kind of just tune in and pick up an issue here or there once a year and enjoy it, as it's still got that Shooter era Marvel quality where you can just jump in and off at any time to it despite having long term storylines.

The Costa Joe stuff was fantastic, it's a "mature" GI Joe story but not in the way that term gets thrown around in comic book marketing, it's not gratuitous or grim and gritty, but it is very serious in it's approach and execution beyond anything else done with Joe's. The tone is more along the lines of a book like Sleeper but starring Chuckles.

It's so loving good, and that's the perfect description. I hope that TPB isn't postponed again or canceled.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
If anyone is really interested in Joe comics and wants to REALLY discuss them in detail, check out the discord for this thread...

Dale-Taco
Feb 19, 2009

Fuzz posted:

If anyone is really interested in Joe comics and wants to REALLY discuss them in detail, check out the discord for this thread...

Link?

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
Any time G.I. Joe comes up I think I should mention that a friend of mine wrote a book going very in depth into the toy line, comics and cartoon. Then I realize after like 20 years he's still not done with it. He's taking the downtime from covid to completely renovate his comic shop in Boston, so no idea when he'll finish it, but it's called A Real American Book whenever it's finally released.

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!
So, there's a guy on eBay selling multiple carded vintage Scare Glow's for £99 a piece.

I'm 100% sceptical that it's not legit, but I'm covered by PayPal if it turns out to be dodgy. But if it pays off, that's a huge result.

Needless to say the order has been placed.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Link?

Pitwar
Jul 19, 2008

Who's your mate?!

Here you go:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1986-He-Man-MOTU-SCARE-GLOW-SKELETOR-in-Box-Vintage-non-AFA/324385005022?hash=item4b86da5dde:g:TdgAAOSwk8pfvPkE

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar
The X-Men retro Legends Gambit and Rogue are starting to show up in Targets. Along with that, supposedly white costume Storm is releasing with them as well. Popfindr links for Rogue and Gambit for those interested.

https://popfindr.com/inventory/target/087-16-5584

https://popfindr.com/inventory/target/087-16-7571

e: and apparently these are street dated for the 29th, so beware.

Louisgod fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 24, 2020

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Seller won't ship yo the US so I can't roll the dice. Oh well, I have one on the way and a repro cape, ill live!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

Seller won't ship yo the US so I can't roll the dice. Oh well, I have one on the way and a repro cape, ill live!

Mail it to me and I’ll pass it onto you/wait till the US border opens and mail it when I get to the US next (if you’re not in a hurry).

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Louisgod posted:

The X-Men retro Legends Gambit and Rogue are starting to show up in Targets. Along with that, supposedly white costume Storm is releasing with them as well. Popfindr links for Rogue and Gambit for those interested.

https://popfindr.com/inventory/target/087-16-5584

https://popfindr.com/inventory/target/087-16-7571

e: and apparently these are street dated for the 29th, so beware.

Not to shame anyone but I can't imagine hunting for toys in a store right now with covid going through the roof.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
YOLO

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cloks posted:

Not to shame anyone but I can't imagine hunting for toys in a store right now with covid going through the roof.

I’m not really hunting anymore because I’m broke as poo poo. But if I did I’d usually run in, check and run out in less than 10 mins. Don’t touch poo poo, hand sanitize before you enter and after you check out, and once more when you get in the car lmao.

Just be careful, same as before.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

CelticPredator posted:

I’m not really hunting anymore because I’m broke as poo poo. But if I did I’d usually run in, check and run out in less than 10 mins. Don’t touch poo poo, hand sanitize before you enter and after you check out, and once more when you get in the car lmao.

Just be careful, same as before.
In an effort to maintain karmic balance, I linger in stores, lick every surface and person, and sneeze everywhere. :colbert:

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
Target is the only place I've "toy hunted" since February because I can check the other sections while I'm already there for groceries without significantly increasing my time in store. I do make sure that I'm really making the trip because I need groceries, instead of "uh, I want to look for toys and buy a bag of frozen peas I guess."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah that too.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Swinging by the toy section isn't any less safe than just going for groceries I suppose, but this "Well what if I just..." stuff is a big part of why things are so bad.

That and the full on anti-masker morons, anyway.

7-10 days from Thursday is going to be a loving apocalypse.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cloks posted:

At the least, checking inventory in advance and knowing the toys you want are in stock could help to reduce trips if you're going somewhere like Target for general groceries. I already have Gambit and Rogue on pre-order so it's a non-issue for me, but if somebody wants to risk going out, say, right when Target opens when it's quieter, that's their call. Avoid stores now through Sunday though, gently caress risking the crowds.

We're pretty lucky here in Eugene that it's mandatory people wear masks to enter stores. You don't see people without masks here, even walking by themselves on sidewalks for walks.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Louisgod posted:

At the least, checking inventory in advance and knowing the toys you want are in stock could help to reduce trips if you're going somewhere like Target for general groceries. I already have Gambit and Rogue on pre-order so it's a non-issue for me, but if somebody wants to risk going out, say, right when Target opens when it's quieter, that's their call. Avoid stores now through Sunday though, gently caress risking the crowds.

We're pretty lucky here in Eugene that it's mandatory people wear masks to enter stores. You don't see people without masks here, even walking by themselves on sidewalks for walks.

I guess my perspective is skewed because I live in one of the worst places in the nation for handling it and haven't left the house in weeks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Aphrodite posted:

7-10 days from Thursday is going to be a loving apocalypse.

Wait what why

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Isn't Thanksgiving Thursday?

I'm not American.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Aphrodite posted:

Isn't Thanksgiving Thursday?

I'm not American.

Yeah. And 7-10 days later is when the people who got covid from their big family Thanksgiving will go to the hospital.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Cloks posted:

I guess my perspective is skewed because I live in one of the worst places in the nation for handling it and haven't left the house in weeks.

I'm with you, if I lived in Florida or Texas I'd be boarding up my windows. Not to say there isn't a risk here, only that it's lower or there are ways to mitigate it, like by going to stores at different times.