Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Alkydere posted:

So last few weeks have been spent:
-Glaring at my inbox waiting for the paperwork to be sent
-Complaining to my contact that the paperwork hadn't been sent
-Getting the paperwork right as my weekend started when the paperwork required information I needed to be at work for (mainly they wanted my manager's phone number for a background check)
-Immediately getting my DOT physical the moment I submitted my background check form and got the paperwork in return for that

Anyways, been dealing with this half-assed Prime Day event this week and checked my e-mail to find that me racing to get everything done super fast has paid off. Before the promotion offer was tentative (I had to have background check/physical come back as clear) and was for Dec. 3. Now it's locked in and moved up to Oct. 29.

So gently caress yeah, getting that promo and raise basically a month early. :toot:
I'm imploding into a pile of happy stress because good things don't normally happen to me and I'm not entirely sure how to process it.

Congratulations! :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Alkydere posted:

So gently caress yeah, getting that promo and raise basically a month early. :toot:
I'm imploding into a pile of happy stress because good things don't normally happen to me and I'm not entirely sure how to process it.

Awesome!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

First thing the truck driver said to me, dead seriously, "You're too short to be in charge.'

Just.....what the gently caress?

This mf never heard about Napoleon.:france:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Midjack posted:

This mf never heard about Napoleon.:france:

Slander by the perfidious English!!!

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Alkydere posted:

Everybody (ITT) deserves nice things. If you must, pay it back by doing random acts of anonymous kindness.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

It became a whole drat thing beyond just the initial crack about my height. To the point it's been escalated to the distribution board, and our regional manager, and he's probably losing his job. So, needless to say, I had An Evening.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

AngryRobotsInc posted:

It became a whole drat thing beyond just the initial crack about my height. To the point it's been escalated to the distribution board, and our regional manager, and he's probably losing his job. So, needless to say, I had An Evening.

How does it feel to be short

one driver

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Volmarias posted:

How does it feel to be short

one driver

Honestly, I'm just waiting for the fireworks because the person greeting him bright and early is our SM. And our SM does not play when it comes to the treatment of employees.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
What a bizarre situation…what else did this dipshit do? Is he like a regular driver? Does he work for your company? What a weird thing for someone to do and then double down on with a total stranger. Would love to hear more about the fallout.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The Lord Bude posted:

What a bizarre situation…what else did this dipshit do? Is he like a regular driver? Does he work for your company? What a weird thing for someone to do and then double down on with a total stranger. Would love to hear more about the fallout.

He was just generally condescending and rude to me (referring to me solely by "Hey, lady" all evening, for example), which...whatever. But what's getting him in trouble is he stopped mid-unloading, and said he was done for the day. Which is...not how it goes. Once the seal is broken, everything has to be unloaded then and there, and the next seal put on. I checked with the SM to be sure, and it was confirmed with the DM, and when I told him this, he flat out told me no with a rant about "SMs think they control our lives, when I say I'm done I'm done blah blah blah", and then left our property on foot with the truck just...entirely unlocked to go get food down the road. So now the distribution part of the company, loss prevention, and our DM and the RM are gunning for him.

So, my SM is pisssssed because of how the guy treated me, but what reaaaally has him hosed is him just....blatantly going against policy.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

AngryRobotsInc posted:

He was just generally condescending and rude to me (referring to me solely by "Hey, lady" all evening, for example), which...whatever. But what's getting him in trouble is he stopped mid-unloading, and said he was done for the day. Which is...not how it goes. Once the seal is broken, everything has to be unloaded then and there, and the next seal put on. I checked with the SM to be sure, and it was confirmed with the DM, and when I told him this, he flat out told me no with a rant about "SMs think they control our lives, when I say I'm done I'm done blah blah blah", and then left our property on foot with the truck just...entirely unlocked to go get food down the road. So now the distribution part of the company, loss prevention, and our DM and the RM are gunning for him.

So, my SM is pisssssed because of how the guy treated me, but what reaaaally has him hosed is him just....blatantly going against policy.

An astonishing lack of brain cells.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Honestly that's actually what gets a lot of people. If you don't have the braincells to NOT be an rear end in a top hat, you probably lack the braincells to avoid loving up in other ways.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

AngryRobotsInc posted:

First thing the truck driver said to me, dead seriously, "You're too short to be in charge.'

Just.....what the gently caress?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT9ArM3-KJQ

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I was ready for him to go into some bizarre tangent about you being too short to give him orders and losing his temper but lmfao at abandoning his truck in the middle of unload. :laffo: Dude needed a burger NOW.

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Our genius of a new store director's been all-in on cutting hours to make numbers look good. Receiving is basically never getting full shifts, leading to me spending time helping grocery 2nd (the busiest people in the store already) break down live load. It was my first time in at least a couple years and I don't mind it other than the fact that it was unexpected and I have my own job to do.

Also our only competent service area manager walked out yesterday. RIP that department but I'm not register trained so this is a genuine thing I can just watch from the sidelines. Even before learning about the walkout I was a little confused today about the sheer quantity of times the [person who has the responsibilities but not paycheck of assistant manager] was paging people

let it burn. It's probably not directly this new store director's fault but if it gets him some negative points in an evaluation somewhere it's a win

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
It seems almost loving fate that when a new manager comes in, they have to do something to gently caress with a machine that is already working to justify their existence. It took my boss a few months to close down various delivery start points because he hated that we had so many people spread out, never mind that one or two people were assigned to start in areas with huge morning rushes. But then when SameDay got cut, he got his wish, and closed about half the start points, forcing people to move to other ones.

He still crows about that victory.

Meanwhile we had another meeting a few weeks ago, and I think I was the only person who noticed when he was complaining about bad drivers and how lots of people drive like full loving retards. Perhaps not as noticeable as when a past manager implied that Asians were all bad drivers, which was why she was so proud of the Indonesian driver we had, but also how strange it was he didn't move up to the tech side of things because "that's where they always end up."

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Every manager when they come in needs to gently caress about with stuff to establish authority, it's why at work now even though I like our new store manager he did move the tempering rack from right by the quieter side of the kitchen to a spot out of the way of the busy side so it's not convenient to get to for anyone.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
Not retail but it happens with security, too. Just one more reason I'm so appreciative of my current boss: of all the supervisors I've had, he's notable for not trying to gently caress with things after he came in. Everything already works, no need to mess with it. It's his boss that's the problem.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

If they don't gently caress with anything, then were they ever needed at all?????

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
*Someone* has to yell at Payroll to make sure we get paid properly.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

cephalopods posted:

Our genius of a new store director's been all-in on cutting hours to make numbers look good. Receiving is basically never getting full shifts, leading to me spending time helping grocery 2nd (the busiest people in the store already) break down live load. It was my first time in at least a couple years and I don't mind it other than the fact that it was unexpected and I have my own job to do.

making GBS threads all over 2nd shift? Impossible! That never happens!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Eric the Mauve posted:

Almost as often as 3rds gets poo poo on (2nds and 3rds need to unite and give 1sts a goddamn hiding.)

cephalopods
Aug 11, 2013

Eric the Mauve posted:

The fact that receiving's trucks bled over into second shift at all should be a cause for concern. Let alone that their team is so shorthanded that they needed to pull in people from other departments to get things done. That hasn't happened in my store since before covid (because the grocery manager back then spent all his time hanging out across the store and never actually supported his people)

Now, granted, grocery 2nd shift has stayed afloat for that whole time because management ignores frozen entirely. Once the (2) frozen area team members go home, frozen (it's a loving third of the grocery department!) just gets ignored and a few of us in fresh (a different area, organizationally speaking) get to field every customer complaint about it because we're closest

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I have an interview today for position with the city, working in their copy center. So technically it's not quite what I'm doing now as a driver, and I don't exactly know the shift, but it is a little further from my house and there is retirement taken out So I won't be making as much even if I do get the offer.

I don't know why I'm so worried about this, I've done plenty of interviews in the past and never got in a call back, but in this case they only had two interview slots open last week and when I told the HR person I couldn't meet either one of those and at best I could do today, she made sure I got an interview set for this afternoon, despite it closing last week.

edit: I think I did okay at the interview. Got a little tour around the place, hopefully that is a good sign.

I just don't know how a 401k transfers over to a government entity.

Cowslips Warren fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Oct 18, 2023

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Cowslips Warren posted:

Call the HR person if it will impact your decision to take the job. Otherwise ask when you onboard.

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

so since we don't get paid if we're out with covid anymore, one of my coworkers has decided to just come in. "I have bills to pay" she says, which I get, but what an rear end in a top hat lol.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Cowslips Warren posted:

I have an interview today for position with the city, working in their copy center. So technically it's not quite what I'm doing now as a driver, and I don't exactly know the shift, but it is a little further from my house and there is retirement taken out So I won't be making as much even if I do get the offer.

I don't know why I'm so worried about this, I've done plenty of interviews in the past and never got in a call back, but in this case they only had two interview slots open last week and when I told the HR person I couldn't meet either one of those and at best I could do today, she made sure I got an interview set for this afternoon, despite it closing last week.

edit: I think I did okay at the interview. Got a little tour around the place, hopefully that is a good sign.

Congrats on the (potential) new job! For what it's worth from a random internet stranger, I've been rooting for you to find something else for a few years now. :)

I work at a non-profit and I'm on a 403b plan now instead of the 401k from my previous job. I still have access to the money in the 401k account, but I can't add to it any more and I can't transfer it over to the new plan. Withdrawing it early would also incur fees/penalties, so I'm treating it as an emergency fund for now. You might have a similar situation, but it's definitely worth asking about.

It sucked starting my retirement plan over basically from nothing, but my new employer matches more than my old one did and I'm making more than I did at the old job, so it might not take as long to catch up as I first thought.

fake edit: I thought a 403b was also for government employees, but apparently I'm wrong. It's for schools, churches, non-profits, and "certain ministers." It's still a good idea to ask them about your future money and how future you will be able to get it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Talk to someone who knows more, but your 401k money does not necessarily have to stay in your old companies plan. You should be able to get it rolled over into an IRA of your choosing without any penalties.

An IRA will have the same/similar restrictions as a 401k. It will be tax deferred and have penalties for early withdrawal. But you can have a choice in where your money sits. You just need to find a broker or manager. They can usually help you with transferring the funds out of the old account into the new account.

This all comes down to how much money you had in the previous companies 401k accounts to know if it is going to be worthwhile. I lucked into working at some utilities that hadn’t completely crushed retirement yet. So while they didn’t have a pension anymore, they were doing pretty nice 401k flat payments and some matching on top of that. So it was worthwhile for me to consolidate into an IRA with my outside mutual fund broker when I left that company.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer

beats for junkies posted:

Congrats on the (potential) new job! For what it's worth from a random internet stranger, I've been rooting for you to find something else for a few years now. :)

I work at a non-profit and I'm on a 403b plan now instead of the 401k from my previous job. I still have access to the money in the 401k account, but I can't add to it any more and I can't transfer it over to the new plan. Withdrawing it early would also incur fees/penalties, so I'm treating it as an emergency fund for now. You might have a similar situation, but it's definitely worth asking about.

It sucked starting my retirement plan over basically from nothing, but my new employer matches more than my old one did and I'm making more than I did at the old job, so it might not take as long to catch up as I first thought.

fake edit: I thought a 403b was also for government employees, but apparently I'm wrong. It's for schools, churches, non-profits, and "certain ministers." It's still a good idea to ask them about your future money and how future you will be able to get it.

there's a pension plan with the city, I think it's something like mandatory 12% input.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Rainbow Knight posted:

so since we don't get paid if we're out with covid anymore, one of my coworkers has decided to just come in. "I have bills to pay" she says, which I get, but what an rear end in a top hat lol.

Get a 6 foot stick and jab her with it every time she gets close to you.

Hi, thread, I'm on my annual "vacation" (5 days I take in October for my anniversary/a break before the holidays) and I have shingles so i called out Tuesday. Shingles fuckin' sucks.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

This week some nice gentlemen from IT came and replaced all our registers and associated scanners, printers, monitors etc with shiny new ones.

The new generation receipt printers now pause for about 10-20 seconds before printing the last inch or so of the receipt.

The new generation tills have a rearranged interior, ruining 20 years of muscle memory, and the ones with a flip up top (some registers are flip up, some are slide out) don’t open completely, making it awkward to get money out.

But the monitors, the monitors are special. The company has invested in newfangled widescreen monitors. It would appear, however, that such an extraordinary eventually never occurred to whoever wrote our POS software, so we are faced with the choice of either having the screens set to 4:3 with black bars down each side, or having the 4:3 image stretched across the 16:9 monitor.

The computers are locked down, so this choice has been made for us by the IT department, however it would appear they couldn’t decide which option they preferred, so half the registers have black bars, and the other half are stretched.

I guess at least I can choose which torment I prefer.

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
They finally replaced our 10+ year old credit card pads, but now they beep so quietly that nobody hears the beeps to remove the card.... Except me. The incessant beeping.

Definitely not replacing the 20+ year old POS terminals though. That'd just be crazy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

New promotion launched at work, with a new sauce canister. Apparently within 2 days head office sent round a message that they were getting rid of it. I’ve cut myself on it multiple times and the valves on it don’t handle the thick sauce well so they get stuck open and just leak sauce everywhere. So about 20% of any given canister gets wasted. Triumph of R&D all round.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
No news about the interview. She said they would let me know in a few days but who knows.

And other news, today out of the four drivers from my location, two of us had no orders at all. The other two of us were finished by noon. So two of us are currently waiting at our base location, and 30 minutes before our shifts are over, we get a panic message from dispatch asking if any of us want to stay late because in order was submitted at 2:30. Now this order has been at this location for several hours, and the store is not been that busy and we know this because we've been in the center several times, so there's not much reason this order wasn't completed earlier.

Apparently there is a real slow drag in the submission process, because the order was submitted at 2:40, and at 2:55/3:00 we got the panicked message about it needing to be delivered today. I'm sure there's going to be some interesting emails if none of the four of us pick it up, but I can also guarantee that one of the four drivers is currently at his house swimming, another driver has left the lot, and it's just me and one other waiting for the time to take down. If it wasn't a 30 minute drive one way through some of the worst traffic, I would do it.

Our boss actually sent an email out a few weeks ago letting everyone know that they should never be more than 5 minutes away from there store when they have nothing to do. Because apparently several drivers are clocking in, seeing they have nothing on route, and then just driving home, Wait out the day, and then drive back to base a few minutes before we clock out.b One driver for my location says he's constantly going home and swimming, or having movie marathons, or just relaxing and not worrying about anything while the rest of us losers hang around the store.

I don't understand how he keeps getting away with this, our phones and vans both have GPS so they can find us at any point of the day, but I suppose nothing should surprise me anymore if most of us have no work for anywhere between 6:00 and 8 hours of our shifts.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

One of my buddies has a Faraday bag he uses for his work phone when he needs to leave a store to go do something.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I wrote this note on this tray of product last Thursday and today I found the product on the shelf with the note still on it. The store does not touch vendor products so it had to be someone from my company.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Cowslips Warren posted:

When you hopefully get it, go to BFC finance thread and they can tell you exactly, but literally it’s just transfer to a 401k under your name. Vanguard and Fidelity are both great options. BFC can also give you recommendations on what funds , portfolio balance, etc.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Sadly I don't think it matters as it's been a week and I've heard nothing.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Motherfuckers. HR told you before they told me that I was getting that promotion and you were losing me. You had since the beginning of the month to suck my brain dry of any knowledge I could have given. Instead you talked about your plans to do so and then just left me in the corner where I could goof off and do my job without teaching anyone.

You knew since the 15th that my start date had been moved forward. You also knew since that date I was taking some time off to celebrate.

Which is why on the very last day y'all yeeted a learning ambassador and two potential trainees at me to suck out what I could transfer in a job who's primary role can be taught in 15 minutes and then has 1,001 exceptions you have to learn and a new one nearly every month as Amazon updates its systems and new edge cases develop. I had about 2 hours to do what I little I could do, including transferring a couple of super secret apps ISS/ICQA gave me.

Anyways I'm out now. 6 days off, gonna get up to date on my COVID and flu shots in that time, then I report to another local Amazon facility to basically be pair hourly to sit down and study for my CDL for the next 5 weeks.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Oh nice, not just promoted, but gone from the facility for a month and a half. I bet there will be some fun stories to come back to, providing you are returning to the same location.

Not that anyone isn’t replaceable at an operation like Amazon, but it’s always fun to watch managers never learn who their load bearing employees are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Orvin posted:

Oh nice, not just promoted, but gone from the facility for a month and a half. I bet there will be some fun stories to come back to, providing you are returning to the same location.

Not that anyone isn’t replaceable at an operation like Amazon, but it’s always fun to watch managers never learn who their load bearing employees are.

Oh they very clearly knew I was load bearing. My latest manager (they change 1-2 times a year) had straight up been told "Put Alky in the corner: it's a dull, boring but absolutely required station we have to fill. He's responsible and he's an introvert that actually likes being left in the corner. Anyone else we put there won't do the job as well and is likely to leave after a few months."

It's just they had all the warning and time in the world to have me help train a few replacements. Nope, last minute "OH GOD WHAT DO YOU KNOW!?" and now I'm out for 6 days. Gone for at least a month and even when I come back (I should come back to the same location) I'll be out in the dock yard and not loving about on the 3rd floor.

I just got my latest covid/flu shots and plan to spend a good chunk of the next six days just being miserable for my future health.

Alkydere fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Oct 24, 2023