Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Himuro posted:

You don't have to lose your poo poo at him.

I didn't I'm sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Butt Ghost posted:

I'm all for playing as a woman in a GTA game. That could be super interesting. My only beef with that though is that I don't trust people to not then turn around and go "The female GTA protagonist is portrayed in a negative light!" Because GTA protagonists are terrible people.

That is exactly what would happen too at least to some degree. Personally, I would be disappointed if a female in a GTA game was not portrayed in a negative light because then it would feel like a boring shoehorned character instead of a GTA game whose protagonist just happens to be female.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Xavier434 posted:

That is exactly what would happen too at least to some degree. Personally, I would be disappointed if a female in a GTA game was not portrayed in a negative light because then it would feel like a boring shoehorned character instead of a GTA game whose protagonist just happens to be female.

I'd hope they'd write someone as ruthless as Catalina :allears:

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think Rockstar would care if a few clickbait sites threw tantrums over a perceived "bad" female character. The majority of people who buy GTA probably don't even know what a Kotaku or Polygon is.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Their problem isn't with a female character being portrayed in a negative light, their problem is that they feel like the character is being portrayed in a sexist way. If your dude characters are hosed up in unique and interesting ways based on their characters and then all your female characters are 'shrieking deceitful prostitute' then yeah, you can call sexism.

I am not saying that's the case in GTA5, because I haven't even played the game, but I'm saying that 'all the characters are bad people!' isn't really a valid defense on its own.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Himuro posted:

Mass Effect folows the classic adage of show don't tell. FFXIII is a complete 180. It doesn't show you poo poo. You have to read everything.

What are you smoking , did you somehow forget the literal final scene of the entire series is an exposition dump revealing everything that's happened, everything that will happen, and your role in the proceeding events

Or how literally everyone you meet is willing to tell you their long and involved backstory for no adequately explained reason

Arguably the only thing in mass effect that was shown and not told is like, the genophage stuff and Javik

I mean I love mass effect but thats text dump exposition the game

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Like the problem with ffxiii if there even is one (I think it's great tbh) is the exact opposite of show not tell, in that the game does a lot of in media res and not explaining what's going on or who characters are off the bat (which I think is justified by it's use of flashback and it's conceit of characters being on the run)

That's literally the exact opposite approach of show not tell, if it was told it'd be the intro to mass effect where you learn exactly who lightning is and you meet serah and her fiancé snow and oh this is the world that they live in, and you'd have lightning meet some sort of wise mentor character who would explain exactly who she is (a la captain Anderson in me)

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Toxxupation posted:

What are you smoking , did you somehow forget the literal final scene of the entire series is an exposition dump revealing everything that's happened, everything that will happen, and your role in the proceeding events

Or how literally everyone you meet is willing to tell you their long and involved backstory for no adequately explained reason

Arguably the only thing in mass effect that was shown and not told is like, the genophage stuff and Javik

I mean I love mass effect but thats text dump exposition the game

I haven't played Mass Effect 3.

Toxxupation posted:

Like the problem with ffxiii if there even is one (I think it's great tbh) is the exact opposite of show not tell, in that the game does a lot of in media res and not explaining what's going on or who characters are off the bat (which I think is justified by it's use of flashback and it's conceit of characters being on the run)

That's literally the exact opposite approach of show not tell, if it was told it'd be the intro to mass effect where you learn exactly who lightning is and you meet serah and her fiancé snow and oh this is the world that they live in, and you'd have lightning meet some sort of wise mentor character who would explain exactly who she is (a la captain Anderson in me)

But it also has lots of codex information that's only available within the codex that doesn't even see the light of day outside of it. Wouldn't it be right to say that FFXIII suffers from both?

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Sep 22, 2014

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I wish you could create party sets in Curtain Call. Really annoying to swap out members constantly.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Sunning posted:

Besides, everyone knows FFXV is aimed at yaoi fangirls anyway.

Female characters(love interests in general?) in videogames pretty much always fall under one of three tropes, and Noctis has three guys accompanying him so if you see them falling in to the 3 female tropes...

Either way I'd be really surprised if anyone tries to stir some "drat SE and their all male brofest ignoring womyn" poo poo because they'd have to either ignore FFX-2 or simply have no clue that it exists. Given the state of gaming journalism as a whole, the latter isn't too hard to see though.

Terper posted:

So you're saying they used decade-old assets for Duke Nukem Forever?

My point is that the game we'll get has been in development for two years. We'll not get a game that has been in development since '06, just like DNF wasn't. They were announced waaayy to early and were both in development hell and that's a thing to be peeved about, for sure. But the game hasn't been in development for some eight-odd years and only has 50% to show for it, which is what the poster insinuated.

Your point is well meant but it still ignores how development works. DNF might not have used decade-old assets but that doesn't make the time and money spent on the numerous discarded assets any less real and the idea of "well the clock resets to the version that came out" is willfully ignorance of the development process that lead to said version eventually making it out. Sure, Tabata can say the current FF15 'started' 2 years ago but it's just a thin attempt at trying to brush an entire console generation's lifespan of development time and failure under the rug or magically make those years of failure not disappoint fans as much as it did.

So yes, if you buy FF15 you are buying a game that has been in development since 2006 and part of that development process included replacing high-ranking staff and scrapping a lot of work. You've bought other games that have scrapped code and assets you just don't realize it because it didn't take a decade (or more) to get the game out.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

I hope XV has DLC or an expansion about Stella's road trip to get Noctis some hair gel or Regis' road trip as he flees from gun pope. Or roll those into a single road trip with Regis sharing soup recipes and telling Stella that he wants a shitload of grandbabies while Stella's all like :staredog:

Dammit, I hope Noctis' dad survives XV. He's a cool dad.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Level Slide posted:

I hope XV has DLC or an expansion about Stella's road trip to get Noctis some hair gel or Regis' road trip as he flees from gun pope. Or roll those into a single road trip with Regis sharing soup recipes and telling Stella that he wants a shitload of grandbabies while Stella's all like :staredog:

Dammit, I hope Noctis' dad survives XV. He's a cool dad.

It's a retelling of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, except with generations of the Lucis Calum family. Regis was a true gentleman, but he was dead as soon as he let Stella into his kingdom.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Toxxupation posted:

Like the problem with ffxiii if there even is one (I think it's great tbh)

Hahaha.

Himuro posted:

But it also has lots of codex information that's only available within the codex that doesn't even see the light of day outside of it. Wouldn't it be right to say that FFXIII suffers from both?

Yes. It would.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
Multiple new pages had me excited about new XV details, but instead it's just Himuro saying something idiotic. Again.

Also if you want a female lead in a GTA game play Saints Row. Much better games anyway.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Evil Fluffy posted:

Your point is well meant but it still ignores how development works. DNF might not have used decade-old assets but that doesn't make the time and money spent on the numerous discarded assets any less real and the idea of "well the clock resets to the version that came out" is willfully ignorance of the development process that lead to said version eventually making it out. Sure, Tabata can say the current FF15 'started' 2 years ago but it's just a thin attempt at trying to brush an entire console generation's lifespan of development time and failure under the rug or magically make those years of failure not disappoint fans as much as it did.

So yes, if you buy FF15 you are buying a game that has been in development since 2006 and part of that development process included replacing high-ranking staff and scrapping a lot of work. You've bought other games that have scrapped code and assets you just don't realize it because it didn't take a decade (or more) to get the game out.

Are you disappointed that the game is taking so long to make?

If so, then that's fine. You can absolutely use these 8 long years to say "The game is taking forever to come out and I'm mad about that", but you cannot say "Well the game's been in development for 8 years, so it should be out like, next month". You absolutely cannot use the 6 years prior to Tabata coming on as director to judge the length of this game, Final Fantasy XV's, development. Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been for all intents and purposes cancelled, and out of it's ashes rose Final Fantasy XV, a game that is similar but at the same time very different.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Mischitary posted:

If so, then that's fine. You can absolutely use these 8 long years to say "The game is taking forever to come out and I'm mad about that", but you cannot say "Well the game's been in development for 8 years, so it should be out like, next month". You absolutely cannot use the 6 years prior to Tabata coming on as director to judge the length of this game, Final Fantasy XV's, development. Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been for all intents and purposes cancelled, and out of it's ashes rose Final Fantasy XV, a game that is similar but at the same time very different.

A similar thing happened with Duke Nukem Forever, didn't it? Remained in development limbo for years until another studio picked up and released it to a hugely negative response.

That's partly why I'm still not optimistic about FF15 being good.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Mega64 posted:

A similar thing happened with Duke Nukem Forever, didn't it? Remained in development limbo for years until another studio picked up and released it to a hugely negative response.

It probably won't be, but DNF was a slightly different story. The game was mostly completed after a long and troubled development, but then the company went under and the game sat there for a few years. Then another publisher bought the rights and basically did the minimum needed to make it run and released it. The game was horribly outdated half-assed.

Meanwhile, this game basically sat on a back-burner for years, then they scrapped what they had and started over 2 years ago. I see it more as starting from scratch with a new game that seems to be progressing at a much more normal pace (if not speedy). It could end up being a FFXIV instead of a DNF.... I hope.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

"Pyroxene Stigma" posted:

Also if you want a female lead in a GTA game play Saints Row. Much better games anyway.

This. But I stopped buying them when the stopped including the latina voice. It just isn't the same without it.

I'm in the "they made FFX-2 and FFXIII-3 so I'm curious to see what they do with this" - field myself.

Then again the all female games aren't really part of the main series. Then again, neither was Versus :v:

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Sep 23, 2014

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Schwartzcough posted:

It probably won't be, but DNF was a slightly different story. The game was mostly completed after a long and troubled development, but then the company went under and the game sat there for a few years. Then another publisher bought the rights and basically did the minimum needed to make it run and released it. The game was horribly outdated half-assed.

Not to mention a stark departure from what Duke 3D and its expansions were like, both in gameplay and tone.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mega64 posted:

It also happened with Metal Gear Rising though.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I guess the question is whether or not Square Enix is lucky enough to have two Yoshi-Ps ready to save the day.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Finally got Curtain Call and it looks like it'll be just as effective, if not more, as its predecessor at eating up hours of my time.

And now my only problem is picking my favourite four characters to use long-term.

Haven't tried all the songs, but I am slightly disappointed Maybe I'm a Lion doesn't have vocals.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I am kind of sad that the Black Mages' music is not on the tracklist nor are more of the vocal music from the rest of the series, but I'm sure there's some legal rights keeping them from doing certain ones.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

Mega64 posted:

There's many games that have a similar story as FFXV, many of them classics. Resident Evil 4, Resident Evil 2, Fallout 3, Morrowind, Prey. Some of them end up turning into pretty competent or even great games like Metal Gear Rising. Many games change completely and are entirely scrapped. It's just that they don't take as long as XV and often, we don't hear about them. Duke Nukem Forever also isn't a good comparison because the final release was a finished product from a troubled studio made with multiple builds from years of development. XV is starting from the ground up.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:23 on Sep 23, 2014

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

ImpAtom posted:

To be fair at least it isn't underage girls in fetish outfits, the other choice for JRPGs these days.

Pretty much.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
One thing I really hope is that they manage to pull off the feel of brotherhood and friendship extremely well. I'm so sick and tired of people constantly saying "this is homoerotic" whenever two dudes do anything in anything Japanese ever. Granted, that will happen anyway, but I just want four guys just being...four guys being best friends.

Also, you guys are all shouting about muh female representation, but I would play a Kingdom Hearts game that's nothing but Goofy and four goofs being goofy on a goofy goofer.

Mischitary
Oct 9, 2007

Mega64 posted:

A long, troubled development is no guarantee that a game will be good or that a game will be bad. Game design is about making choices and then implementing those choices. So far, I've liked everything I've heard about the game, although certain things like returning to a slower paced, less action-focused style is a little bit disappointing it's nothing major. The only question for me is how they go about implementing those choices, which will be answered in time when the demo becomes available.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005
You all getting excited because a game "features" zero playable women are goddamn weird. And likely contribute in no small way to the problems real women face daily.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Gologle posted:

I'm so sick and tired of people constantly saying "this is homoerotic" whenever two dudes do anything in anything Japanese ever.
Yeah, I really don't get how people get anything homoerotic from final fantasy. This is the straightest series there is.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
No, I mean, that's part of it, where there's clearly something homo erotic there. I just want a friendship. I guess what I'm asking for is Stand by Me or Shawshank Redemption as a video game. Actually, considering the road trip, just Stand by Me.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
what's gonna happen in ffxv:

"oh man the car broke down. can you go collect six garula tusks so i can fix it?"

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

It's okay buddy, I used to be afraid of those strange feelings too, but they're totally natural.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Gologle posted:

No, I mean, that's part of it, where there's clearly something homo erotic there. I just want a friendship. I guess what I'm asking for is Stand by Me or Shawshank Redemption as a video game. Actually, considering the road trip, just Stand by Me.

Homoeroticism is the best part of male friendship, hth

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

There is no way to do a close male (or close female) friendship without people calling it homosexual. It doesn't matter if you're Frodo Baggins or Batman, someone out there is gonna read it as gay.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
In my experience, I call one of my best buds "partner" all the time. He hates it, and I'll admit I do it mostly because he hates it because people always assume he's gay, and i'm secure enough to let them believe that we're a couple.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

There is no way to do a close male (or close female) friendship without people calling it homosexual. It doesn't matter if you're Frodo Baggins or Batman, someone out there is gonna read it as gay.
And honestly, I don't see the problem with that. It's wish fulfillment of one kind or another. It'd be one thing if there were tons of straight-out gay main characters in media, but there kind of aren't, especially if you want something that isn't a drama or comedy built around the homosexuality.

Gologle posted:

In my experience, I call one of my best buds "partner" all the time. He hates it, and I'll admit I do it mostly because he hates it because people always assume he's gay, and i'm secure enough to let them believe that we're a couple.

Are you and your friend Souji and Yosuke from Persona 4?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Mischitary posted:

The time they're spending to make the game is irrelevant to me. I might never bother playing it (like FF13) whenever it does come out.

Nobody's saying it should come out next month (I'm not, anyways). I'm saying people who are trying to make claims like "oh well it's not the same game now that it was for the past 6 years so it's really only been 2 years" are being dumb as hell. That SE has rebranded the project from FF Versus 13 to FF15 doesn't change the fact that this project has been underway for nearly a decade and scrapping a build to start over doesn't reset the clock or give the company a do-over. For the better part of a decade a project went nowhere and to salvage it changes were made including replacing leadership and rebranding the project. The "well it's only been 2 years" thing is a PR face-saving attempt.

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Evil Fluffy posted:

The time they're spending to make the game is irrelevant to me. I might never bother playing it (like FF13) whenever it does come out.

Nobody's saying it should come out next month (I'm not, anyways). I'm saying people who are trying to make claims like "oh well it's not the same game now that it was for the past 6 years so it's really only been 2 years" are being dumb as hell. That SE has rebranded the project from FF Versus 13 to FF15 doesn't change the fact that this project has been underway for nearly a decade and scrapping a build to start over doesn't reset the clock or give the company a do-over. For the better part of a decade a project went nowhere and to salvage it changes were made including replacing leadership and rebranding the project. The "well it's only been 2 years" thing is a PR face-saving attempt.

And nobody was saying the game hasn't been "in development" in some sense since 2006- people were talking about the 55% complete figure that the director gave in interviews. As in, that 55% figure was basically reached in two years from when SE went "gently caress it, let's start over," rather than taking 8 years, which would imply completing the game would require another 7 or 8 years.

taichara
May 9, 2013

c:\>erase c:\reality.sys copy a:\gigacity\*.* c:

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

You all getting excited because a game "features" zero playable women are goddamn weird. And likely contribute in no small way to the problems real women face daily.

Why I do believe here we have someone trying to make a mountain out of a molehill!

For the record, I am not male and I am cheerfully looking forward to playing FFXV with no playable female characters in it. Why? Because I want to. Simple as that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I might be :tinfoil:-ing here, but I feel like part of the reason they're going with an all male cast is so that Lightning can still be the "face" of female Final Fantasy heroines. It would be really funny if she ends up as a DLC party member or guest. (I actually think it would be neat).

PunkBoy fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Sep 23, 2014