Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

pig slut lisa posted:

Also I know in this thread we sometimes debate the nature of Bad With Money. Are there some things that are per se Bad With Money, no matter the purchaser's income, or is every potential purchase defensible if the purchaser's wealth/income is high enough and their basic needs are taken care of?

I feel like "$9,000 box of sound dirt" is a strong point in favor of the first camp.

I think there are some things that are simply bad with money regardless. Like no matter how much money you have, giving your friend a pile of money for his totes-legit business venture with no paperwork and no plan is BWM, and so is wiring thousands of dollars to a woman on a sugardaddy site. Sometimes you can be BWM in a way that isn't significant to your finances, but it doesn't make it a good idea or, in some cases, defensible, it just doesn't ruin you.

If you are a millionaire and so BWM that you do easily avoided stuff like that, you are probably also hitting a whole bunch of higher-tier exploits that regular people cannot aspire to, successfully overshadowing your more pedestrian mistakes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread, but my old man is an audiophile, and it drives me nuts. Silver-plated this, asynchronous that, power regulator in the corner, fancy cables hither thither and yon.

I do electrical engineering for a living and he doesn't believe me when I tell him that a digital signal will pass just as fine through a $10 cable as a $1000 cable. "I can hear the difference!"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

I think I've mentioned this before in this thread, but my old man is an audiophile, and it drives me nuts. Silver-plated this, asynchronous that, power regulator in the corner, fancy cables hither thither and yon.

I do electrical engineering for a living and he doesn't believe me when I tell him that a digital signal will pass just as fine through a $10 cable as a $1000 cable. "I can hear the difference!"

It makes the bytes happier and everyone knows that happier bytes have a richer, fuller sound :colbert:

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster
My roommate buys MP3's "recorded from the original vinyl" for $3-4 a song.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Not a Children posted:

My favorite are the people who buy 00 gauge solid power cables for their amps and other equipment. Yeah, I'm sure that last three feet of wire makes all the difference.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Not a Children posted:

The placebo effect is very real, but only if the person believes. People who are religious about audio quality (or anything else) may in fact experience qualitatively better sound quality through $1000 cables.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

baquerd posted:

The placebo effect is very real, but only if the person believes. People who are religious about audio quality (or anything else) may in fact experience qualitatively better sound quality through $1000 cables.

In that fplus episode I linked there's a bunch of them that make up bullshit reasons about how their $1000 thingy interacts with your quantum brain waves and only works if it gets reenforcing positive vibes so if your friends listen to it and don't hear anything it's their fault for not believing hard enough

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"audiophile" forums often ban any discussion of double blind or other objective testing lmao

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

brugroffil posted:

"audiophile" forums often ban any discussion of double blind or other objective testing lmao

http://gizmodo.com/363154/audiophile-deathmatch-monster-cables-vs-a-coat-hanger

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
I'm embarrassed to say that I used to frequent head-fi.org when I was in high school/college.

I had a "rig." :ohdear:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

Is there a community of artists who insist that only certain dyes or mediums can produce, "the best color red?" If so, lmao. If not, somebody needs to get on that. I guess TV and monitor enthusiasts are the closest you can get.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
What's worse with money? Audiophiles buying silver cables and power cleaners in pursuit of the perfect subjective experience, or those car audio guys who compete to make the loudest noise possible using the "burp" sound and measure it with dB meters, like so:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bIhTeyGnPMw

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal

Residency Evil posted:

I'm embarrassed to say that I used to frequent head-fi.org when I was in high school/college.

I had a "rig." :ohdear:

Having interest in good audio isn't inherently embarrassing. It's a totally reasonable pursuit to want to have good sound reproduction. It's also a good way to test your teenage mind as to whether you can quickly suss out bullshit/scams or not. If buying one $100 Monster Cable is all it takes to make you not fall for that poo poo again, not that bad of a lesson.

However, if it leads to $9000 boxes of dirt, you're a dumbass.

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Leon Trotsky 2012 posted:

My roommate buys MP3's "recorded from the original vinyl" for $3-4 a song.

What kind of ghetto audiphile listens to mp3s? lol if you don't listen to lossless studio quality 600 MB files burned to a CD-R played on a cheap Playstation.

That one I'll never figure out. Why does so many audiophiles use an ordinary Playstation console for playback?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Foxhound posted:

Why does so many audiophiles use an ordinary Playstation console for playback?

Didn't it have a really good DAC?

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Okay I've heard of that and talked to my dad about it and even HE said putting your cds in a ps1 was bullshit.

On the other hand, he did get one of those markers that you line your cds with and a cd spinner to "shake out the static" so idek what the limits are there.

I'm just thankful that most of his bs at least amounts to SOMETHING in the world of analog, even if it is so minute as to be physically imperceptible

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Not a Children posted:

"shake out the static"

No human, of any age or mental incapacity, actually believes this. He's making GBS threads you. Right?

Foxhound
Sep 5, 2007

Subjunctive posted:

No human, of any age or mental incapacity, actually believes this. He's making GBS threads you. Right?

Well you see the CD/DVD rewinder produces a lot of static so the destatifier gets rid of it.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

My father is a successful professional at the top of his field with a terminal degree

He believes that spinning a CD really fast before you play it makes it sound better

He also has an "anti-static gun" that he uses on his vinyl. I have no idea if it actually does anything and I'm not going to bother thinking about it

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

To up the stakes on this kind of thinking, remember when a company made a killing selling 'bomb detectors' to security forces in Iraq and other countries, and they were just plastic handles with a stick attached?

And then people kept using them for years after the whole thing unraveled and the makers were prosecuted. :smith:

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Not a Children posted:

My father is a successful professional at the top of his field with a terminal degree

He believes that spinning a CD really fast before you play it makes it sound better

He also has an "anti-static gun" that he uses on his vinyl. I have no idea if it actually does anything and I'm not going to bother thinking about it

I'm *pretty* sure that static on vinyls was a real actual issue, and the anti-static guns generally do actually do things (I've used them before, at the very least I was able to shock myself with it so it's not just an empty plastic case). At the very least, static would cause dust to settle on the vinyl and scratch it up, and I'd imagine a static charge would gently caress with the stylus in weird ways too.

Also I think "apply the same logic that worked for vinyl to CD's" like in the case of the CD anti-static... thing is at least 30% of the audiophile bullshit market.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hoodwinker posted:

Is there a community of artists who insist that only certain dyes or mediums can produce, "the best color red?" If so, lmao. If not, somebody needs to get on that. I guess TV and monitor enthusiasts are the closest you can get.

I mean, Anish Kapoor is banned from using the world's pinkest pink.

:v:

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Subjunctive posted:

Didn't it have a really good DAC?

Not a Children posted:

Okay I've heard of that and talked to my dad about it and even HE said putting your cds in a ps1 was bullshit.

Well, at least it had some basis in reality: the DAC was a good chip for the time - though I have no doubt that the rest of the circuitry wasn't brilliant.

The idea that you can apply analogue tweaks to digital media is just poor thinking, though.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

I found an inexhaustible goldmine database of BWM stories, although most are just depressing:

https://www.consumerfinance.gov

Go to "Read Consumer Narratives" and select whichever category looks interesting. These are from the "Money Transfers and Virtual Currency" section.

these NUTS! Keep sending $50 and I'm sure this business venture will eventually return a profit

quote:

On XXXX, I was speaking to a young lady by the name ofXXXX XXXX about a business venture where I would pay her {$50.00} to get started and she would " run '' some numbers and send the profit back to me. This conversation happened Thursday XXXX and I ended up sending {$50.00} to her by Western Union on XXXX/XXXX/2015. Then I got several calls and texts from someone name XXXX XXXX and when i tried to call XXXX back, no answer. Every since then this XXXX XXXX has taken over stating that XXXX did n't complete the transaction correctly. Yesterday I ended up having to send anther {$50.00} to XXXX XXXX by XXXX and still no profit. I called last night and today asking and demanding my money and his response was " these NUTS. " I just want my {$110.00} ( Money sent plus fees ) Even though the money was sent to XXXX XXXX, the person receiving the money is XXXX XXXX.

I don't even understand how he thought this worked. A company that just pays you extra money for no reason?

quote:

A girl by the name of XXXX XXXX that I knew only from social networking via XXXX said she works for " XXXX '', an investment company that you can collect unclaimed taxes from. The deal was to MoneyGram her company XXXX $ and in return I would get XXXX payments of a total of {$5300.00}. I do n't know why I believed her but I did and I sent her the money to Illinois under the name " XXXX XXXX '' and shortly after some text messaging correspondence I never heard from her again. I just want my money back and I 'm doing anything I can do get it back. I have attached all supporting evidence I have. Thank you.

I hope he means that he realized it was a pyramid scam AFTER he sent them money, because it sounds like he thought he was just trying to get some of that sweet scam cash.

quote:

A group on XXXX created a group. I realized that it was a pyramid scam. I sent them money in hopes of getting more back. I did n't not receive any money in return and they will not send my money back.

:(

quote:

Am reporting in hopes of saving someone else more than thinking that I will ever get my money back. Was contacted this morning by a person claiming to be my son-in-law, allegedly in jail after crashing his truck into a utility pole. The voice and inflection of the voice did indeed sound like XXXX. He turned me over then to his alleged lawyer who explained the immediate need for {$2000.00} cash to get him released. Sent the money via MoneyGram to a XXXX XXXX in Delaware. Then got another phone call saying there was a new complication that another {$1800.00} was needed and realized at that point that I had been taken in. Rushed back to WalMart were I executed the MoneyGram transaction, they immediately check and the money had already been picked up. The MoneyGram reference number in this case is XXXX.

This person sounds like they were really close to getting scammed, but happy ending. Don't people wonder why the federal government would require you to use Walmart?

quote:

an incoming call from XXXX keeps calling me ... .5 times today alone ... to tell me that I am the recipient of a {$9700.00} grant from the US Gov't. They offer XXXX options to receive the money. Transfer to your bank account, transfer to a prepaid debit, or pick up cash in person at any MoneyGram location. They were persistent that I choose XXXX, or secondly a Walmart location??? They gave me a grant confirmation # of XXXX and told me to immediately call the senior accounting manager at XXXX. They also inform you that it takes XXXX to 40 mins to complete this call and transaction to get the money " approved ''. No less than 15 times, they stated that the Gov't wants me to have this grant money and that because it Is a grant, I do not need to pay this money back ... ..I then decided this was getting too fishy and declined their offer. They have since called 3 more times ( I did not answer ) after I was adamant that they place me on a do not call list.

Don't wire money to people who text you with offers?

quote:

I attempted to purchase baseball tickets advertised through XXXX. The purported seller contacted me via email and text, including instructions on sending payment through Moneygram. Long story short, she claimed the {$1400.00} I sent her, disappeared, and never sent the tickets.

:(

quote:

Somebody called from XXXX posing as police and threatened to arrest and XXXX despite having XXXX status. Then transfer the call to saying XXXX officer calling from a number listed on XXXX website as toll free number ( XXXX ). They took our all identity information including SSN. Then the posing officer said we were tracked and all our bank passport were frozen now and bank account were frozen. Then he said he talked official in our home country and as our background clear in US he ca n't put us behind bars and the XXXX govt has to do the background check and let them know within 3 days. But to do the background check XXXX govt wanted {$2400.00} as refundable security deposit. We were told to deposit the amount within XXXX hour as office is going to close and only moneygram can make it possible to transfer within XXXX hour. We panicked and did XXXX transfer. After depositing we realized about the fraud and complained to police in XXXX. The complain DC # XXXX. I called moneygram to cancel the transaction ( ref # XXXX ) and report the fraud, but they could not do anything about it as money has been picked up. Please help us to get the money back or bring these criminal people to trial. There are many cases like this involving moneygram. They should change their policy in favor of senders.

only $270 for a puppy to be flown out to you? what a deal!

quote:

i bought a puppy from an online site XXXX last night and the whole thing was a scam. We agreed on {$270.00} for the dog and the seller said he would pay all traveling expenses including flight ticket and delivery agency. At first he said i would pay the agency in person with cash when the puppy was delivered to my apartment but then a few hours later he requested that i pay using money order. After i sent the money order of {$270.00} a got a confirmation email saying they had received the money and the puppy was on the way. Within the next few hours i got another email saying the flight was delayed and would n't arrive until this morning at XXXX The owner said he would pay me {$30.00} because of the delay. This morning i got an email requesting that i pay an additional {$500.00} for insurance of the puppy 's delivery. The owner insisted i pay this or the puppy would n't be delivered. I replied with " I 'm not paying anymore money until i can see the puppy with my own eyes. He got very frustrated and began threatening me by saying he is going to press charges against me for animal cruelty. i told him how could i have done that when i have n't even seen the puppy? After all of this was over I realized it was a complete scam and they had taken my money. I have emails and texts from the seller and from the delivery agency to prove my case. I just want my money back. That 's it!

Getting hired for a job where you just buy things with your own money and mail them overseas... all as part of a 4 week "training"? Not a good sign if you don't feel comfortable giving your contact information to your own "employer".

quote:

while looking for employment I was approached via email XXXX for a XXXX XXXX Position. HR contacted me and passed this initial interview. I was then passed on to the HR trainer where 4 weeks of training would be conducted on line. XXXX 2 weeks I was learning policies, acronyms, processes, etc. and passing weekly tests. The XXXX week i was asked to purchased some equipment ( valued at {$7400.00} XXXX and send out of country to a new office being opened. Being careful throughout this whole process about identity theft, I provided no personal info, in fact the hiring company said a few times that no personal info was required untill I passed the 4 weeks of training and met the hiring manager for the final interview. So for the XXXX project I was issued XXXX that had an account # and routing # XXXX CHASE BANK XXXX with funds that were put into my name that were to be used to purchase the equipment. I was asked to use my personal CC at this time till I became full time employed. I transfered the funds from the account info provided into my personal CC and waited till the funds posted. Once posted a few days later I proceeded to purchase the requested equipment and ship out of country to the designated address. I was requested to use USPS priority international delivery. I was then asked to perform the exact same task a second time which is when I suspected something was n't right and asked a few more questions. At this time the response from XXXX XXXX was not acceptable and knew at this time something was wrong. I sent a final email declining the XXXX project / /purchase and also declined any employement with the company., I then proceeded to stop the shipment that was done earlier that morning with the USPS and was told that I was not able to stop it being it is an international shipment. I then contacted my credit card company " CHASE '' and explained the situation and was told the funds are OK and no issues. I have been checking my account daily to ensure no issues and on XXXX/XXXX/15, the posted amount of {$8000.00} was reversed from my credit card account. I do not understand how CHASE bank that the funds were transfered from did not know the account I was using to transfer funds does not have a check / balance process in place to review and detect scams like this. A phone call or text or something to the actual owner of the account. Besides the names being different on the accounts. Todays day and age with technology, banks should be able to detect scams like this.

$66,000!

quote:

I wire transfered {$66000.00} to a marketing company as an investment for commissions on small business loans that close. This company described themselves as a Network Marketing Company. But never delivered any service or products promised. In addition, all the contacts and phone numbers have been disconnected. I do have the banking routing info and am requesting the person/ people connected to this account be tracked and stopped. I would like to receive restitution and damages.

I don't think you need to have ventured outside the US to know not to wire money to random "businessmen" you encountered online.

quote:

I have been talking to a man for over a month that I met through XXXX. He lives XXXX I live XXXX. He is businessman opening up XXXX. He had to take a trip XXXX to purchase merchandise for his grand opening. He was to stop back XXXX to meet up for the first time. On the last day of his trip, he was attacked by armed men and missed his flight. He was in desperate need of {$650.00} to rebook his flight home. In previous conversation, I had asked him about siblings and parents and he is an only child with XXXX parents deceased. He started calling at XXXX and finally got hold of me by XXXX. I stupidly agreed to send him {$300.00} to help him out. I have never been outside the US so I have no idea how any of this works. He had me send this money XXXX ( whom he said was a ticket agent there in the airport ). He also tried getting me to send him the additional {$350.00} XXXX, thankfully there was a hold up and I got my money back from that transaction. I have done further research on this person who claims to be XXXX ( i have texted, emailed and spoken to him on phone ) he has a cell phone XXXX ( claims he used to work there XXXX - the number is XXXX XXXX. He has also called me several times from the following international number - XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX XXXX. The pictures he has portrayed as being him are found ( upon further searching on my part ) on a web site called XXXX XXXX as a scammer from XXXX possibly. He has a XXXX page as XXXX XXXX XXXX - with only XXXX friend, a female named XXXX I have tried messaging her to find more info, but she has not answered me back. On this XXXX website his picture is attached to XXXX website as XXXXXXXXXXXX He is emailing me from an XXXX on XXXX but wont answer my requests to snap a selfie and send to me and my daughter checked his email XXXXXXXXXXXX for I message but that app is suspiciously turned off.

Got scammed, so it's MoneyGram's fault?

quote:

MoneyGram, a money transfer company failed to protect me against fraud transactions. I was contacted by someone claiming to be from the IRS today stating that I owe back taxes and if I do not pay immediately, I will be arrested and detained for 72 hours. The caller was threatening to have me arrested if I do not pay within 40-45 minutes. As such, I made XXXX transactions to names in XXXX, IL through MoneyGram totaling {$5900.00}. I began to realize that this was a scam as I suspected that multiple transfers needed to be made. I called MoneyGram to stop the transactions but they could not refund me the 4 payments since it was already received. They did not have a process where they could have checked the background of the recipient or other preventive measures to avoid consumer fraud. I have complained to MoneyGram but they tell me they can not do anything about it. I am very upset, feel cheated, robbed and scammed. And I believe that MoneyGram is negligent and irresponsible by failing to protect the consumer. Please help!

If you're selling something, you probably shouldn't be the one wiring money to the "buyer"

quote:

'm selling a Minivan on XXXX, and guy text and says he will take it, but can only use XXXX. Get email from XXXX to wire fee thru XXXX XXXX and then I would receive payment. Called XXXX this morning and they said they would never ask for fees and to call police to file a report, plus contact XXXX to file fraud charges with them.

Not sure where to start with this one...

quote:

In XX/XX/2016, I received a call offer for an Amazon.com website free of charge, no obligation. I declined, however, the lady said I had been on a 2 year wait list and my number had just come up. The opportunity would n't be offered again for some time. So, with no obligation, I agreed to get a call back. XXXX called me. He told me I could make as much or more money than I was making at work right now by working with Amazon.com. Amazon would create a web site with any name I wanted and all of Amazon 's products would be on my site. Each time someone purchased from my site, I would earn a commission. Then came the special offer. I could get a Marketing person to help drive traffic to my Amazon address. He suggested I pay {$18000.00} and Amazon would match the XXXX or any amount I paid. He showed me a site with the name I requested ; XXXX. He had me click on a cd picture and walla!Amazon.com appeared. I did n't have XXXX. He said, I could put it on a credit card. I told him I would think about it. We had a few conversations and he seemed to put my mind at ease even after his boss, XXXX, called me to say he would never take my money. I spoke to XXXX again and he assured me XXXX was no one and XXXX would report him. Just writing this I 'm thinking good cop, bad cop. Another KICK! I mentioned I had balance transfer checks I may use, but had to check my availability. Then he said, if I paid with a check, I would actually save close to XXXX because Amazon would still give me the value of my XXXX and Amazon 's XXXX if I paid {$12000.00} by check. Always looking for a deal, I wrote two balance transfer checks, each for {$6300.00}. That was on XX/XX/2016. Someone was supposed to call me to get things set up and start the marketing process. Not hearing from anyone by XX/XX/XXXX, I called and left a message that I would be calling the XXXX if I did n't hear from someone. XX/XX/XXXX, I received an email and set up a time to speak with XXXX. XXXX called and walked me through how to open an electronic document to sign so I would get paid ( asked for name and SSN ). She also wanted me to eSign another form and provide my banking information. I refused, as XXXX said all commissions would be set up to pay back my Chase account with the daily commissions I would receive. XXXX was not the Marketing person. XXXX said someone would contact me for Marketing. XX/XX/XXXX, I still did n't hear from anyone. I went to " my '' website and searched for a product. Nothing appeared. I searched for another product, nothing appeared. Then I called Amazon.com and asked to speak to the Amazon.com Associate department. I talked to several people, none knew of an Associate department. After being transferred all over, I hung up and started searching the Internet, something I should have done in the beginning. There I found a complaint posted by lady who was taken for over $ XXXX. The story was identical to mine. She said she filed a complaint with the Attorney General. I sent her a message through the site, but have n't heard back. I filed a dispute with Chase and they took over 30 days to let me know I need to continue paying the monthly payments for the Advance checks. I want to expose this company and save anyone else that may fall prey to their scam. I 'm XXXX and got greedy thinking I could retire a little sooner. Looks much bleaker now. I look forward to hearing from you and helping in any way to close this company and possibly retrieve the {$12000.00}.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
People who believe in an unregulated market free of Big Government Interference need to be shown these excerpts. That's what no rules looks like.

My super controversial and fresh hot take: a whole lot of humans have no moral compass when it comes to making money.

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

KingSlime posted:

People who believe in an unregulated market free of Big Government Interference need to be shown these excerpts. That's what no rules looks like.

My super controversial and fresh hot take: a whole lot of humans have no moral compass when it comes to making money.
They know what it looks like. Their greed is greater than their sense, though, for thinking that they won't end up on the wrong side of a bum deal someday.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

Thesaurus posted:

Got scammed, so it's MoneyGram's fault?

To be fair, MoneyGram is all but actively complicit in thousands of wire fraud schemes, and settled with the DOJ to keep their executives out of jail after it was shown they were aware of many agent locations that did essentially nothing but receive fraudulent payments from US scam victims. I mean, their instant, effectively anonymous, non-reversible system to send money beyond the reach of US authorities is so perfect for scamming they even named the crime it enables "wire fraud"

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
I don't understand why we don't just completely do away with wire transfers (and loving money orders for that matter) and replace it with a system that is safer and more importantly, prevents scammers from financially ruining helpless seniors . These things happen so often to gullible people everywhere and I'm surprised we haven't attacked the heart of the problem: the unsecured nature of wire transfers. Scams still happen outside of this but isn't it obvious that 9/10 scams rely on wire transfers, and have done so for decades?

Like what the gently caress? It's 2017.

Disclaimer: I am not in finance

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
It's 2017, but that doesn't mean what you think it does for poorer countries where some people still need to wire money to their families from more developed countries.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

I've sent a decent amount of wires from work (mainly monthly ones to companies based in Israel and Romania) and in my experience they've been pretty painless. I don't really know how any alternatives would go since it was already the policy before I got here, though.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Nail Rat posted:

It's 2017, but that doesn't mean what you think it does for poorer countries where some people still need to wire money to their families from more developed countries.

Yeah, but White people don't need to wire money to poor countries. So do something to stop that.

Wiring money seems so antiquated, but odds are fraud totals are still just a rounding error on legitimate money transfers. And some of these places do try to warn customers, but it's tough to dissuade someone with dollar signs in their eyes.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KingSlime posted:

I don't understand why we don't just completely do away with wire transfers (and loving money orders for that matter) and replace it with a system that is safer and more importantly, prevents scammers from financially ruining helpless seniors . These things happen so often to gullible people everywhere and I'm surprised we haven't attacked the heart of the problem: the unsecured nature of wire transfers. Scams still happen outside of this but isn't it obvious that 9/10 scams rely on wire transfers, and have done so for decades?

Like what the gently caress? It's 2017.

Disclaimer: I am not in finance

wouldn't this simply be replaced with some sort of online transfer through paypal or venmo? it would only stop old people who aren't savvy enough to sign up for paypal.

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

brugroffil posted:

My favorite are the people who buy 00 gauge solid power cables for their amps and other equipment. Yeah, I'm sure that last three feet of wire makes all the difference.
Well yeah, those guys are idiots, they don't do anything about the power coming in to the house. Luckily, there is an answer:

http://gizmodo.com/obsessed-audiophiles-in-japan-are-installing-their-own-1785291714

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

wouldn't this simply be replaced with some sort of online transfer through paypal or venmo? it would only stop old people who aren't savvy enough to sign up for paypal.

Maybe but from what I understand there's all sorts of buyer protection implemented into PayPal (didn't get what I ordered, etc)

Of course this is null and void if you send cash as a gift, which is likely what the scammers would go for but overall PayPal seems more interested in protecting its customers (ha!) than poo poo like Western Union

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

KingSlime posted:

Maybe but from what I understand there's all sorts of buyer protection implemented into PayPal (didn't get what I ordered, etc)

Of course this is null and void if you send cash as a gift, which is likely what the scammers would go for but overall PayPal seems more interested in protecting its customers (ha!) than poo poo like Western Union

lol no they arent

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Hoodwinker posted:

Is there a community of artists who insist that only certain dyes or mediums can produce, "the best color red?" If so, lmao.

I know some artists and the pigments do make a difference. This site is a pretty basic intro, but dyes were treated like the spice trade at one point which should give you an idea about the lengths people went through to get the right one.

It's not so much "the best color red" but "this is the red which looks the most like what I am trying to represent." I mean you could use just any red for a sunset but at some point it's going to look like it should go into The Museum of Bad Art.

Don't ask anything more because I'm not an art history guy though from talking to friends who took art history classes, the scientist/engineer in me can see the appeal.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007

BraveUlysses posted:

lol no they arent

Are paypal scams as common as wire transfer scams? If not, would they be as easy to pull off on paypal if wire transfer went the way of the dodo?

Anyways that's the impression I got from using paypal for several years, thankfully I've never had to deal with any fraud or scams so for all I know it might be a false sense of safety on my end...

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

KingSlime posted:

"No you see if the free market were real then there would be private underwriters and insurance companies and Perfectly Rational Actors would demand to see the certification and insurance paperwork before agreeing that they had in fact won the Nigerian lottery"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also even if we don't fix international wire transfers can we at least make it so bank to bank transfers less than ~$10,000 are instant like in Europe instead of taking 1-3 business days like they have to mail a physical loving check

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Twerk from Home posted:

What's worse with money? Audiophiles buying silver cables and power cleaners in pursuit of the perfect subjective experience, or those car audio guys who compete to make the loudest noise possible using the "burp" sound and measure it with dB meters, like so:

Without a doubt the former.

It's like asking "what's worse with money, paying someone to teach you how to levitate, or participating in kitesurfing competitions?"

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Mar 29, 2017

• Locked thread