Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kuiperdolin
Sep 5, 2011

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

veni veni veni posted:

General Butt Naked

Now that's a waste of an excellent username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

thatbastardken posted:

I'm not sure what the relationship between Hancock Prospecting, CSR, and James Hardie was but they were all into that poo poo.

Capitalism

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
https://www.epa.gov/superfund/search-superfund-sites-where-you-live

Sleep easy

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
None near me, living in the boonies pays off once again. :smuggo:

As long as I ignore that I live within 20 miles of dozens of active and abandoned fracking wells. :shepface:

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Welp, I'm five miles from a Superfund site, a pesiticide place that closed 30 years ago. It's totally fine, though, the people in that area are connected to city water. They've replaced the grass, too, and brought in new dirt. :shepface:

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

quote:

The 4-acre Van Der Horst USA Corporation site is located in Terrell, Texas. A chromium and iron electroplating facility operated at the site from the 1950s until 2006. Plating operations generated spent kerosene, wastewater treatment sludge and chromium-contaminated wastewater. Facility operations contaminated soil, sediment and groundwater. Site investigations and long-term cleanup planning are ongoing.

Neat

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

Kitfox88 posted:

None near me yet, living in the boonies pays off once again. :smuggo:

As long as I ignore that I live within 20 miles of dozens of active and abandoned fracking wells. :shepface:

New sites are regularly discovered and added! All that wastewater ends up somewhere!

Kiebland
Feb 22, 2012
I live about 20 minutes from the Bluegrass Army Depot, where they store and destroy fun stuff like sarin and VX gas.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Kiebland posted:

I live about 20 minutes from the Bluegrass Army Depot, where they store and destroy fun stuff like sarin and VX gas.

I used to live just down the road from Camp Minden, where about 16 million pounds of artillery propellant was just kinda piled around in plastic bags and cardboard boxes. They brought it outside after an underground bunker-ful exploded in 2012 (~125,000 lbs; there was a mushroom cloud and everything), and then it just sat around until more exploded in 2016 (another 120,000 lbs), they “clean burned” several thousand pounds in 2017, and then another explosion in 2021.

That area was also heavily fracked and no one drank the tap water or well water if they could help it. And cancer rates are well above the national average.

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
https://www.chicagotribune.com/inve...-htmlstory.html

This was likely years and years ago, but didn't a goon at some point tip us off in another thread that her uncle may have been the Tylenol killer? Is this the same incident, and is this the same person?

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

I always wondered about that. This is an interesting article though, and that guy is hosed up and awful regardless of if he was the one that did it.

Well, I heard back on my foia requests and they were not what I hoped for. Both returned with the same response:

sandoval county sheriff office posted:

After conducting a search, the County has determined that it does not maintain or control records responsive to your request.

I don't know if it's time (20 years) or jurisdiction, but it's disappointing, I was hoping for more details on a couple of cases that were closed out that only had a couple paragraphs reported on.

Droogie has a new favorite as of 16:34 on Sep 22, 2022

Droogie
Mar 21, 2007

But what I do
I do
because I like to do.

Q=/=E

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

https://www.chicagotribune.com/inve...-htmlstory.html

This was likely years and years ago, but didn't a goon at some point tip us off in another thread that her uncle may have been the Tylenol killer? Is this the same incident, and is this the same person?

No, that goon said that his/her/their uncle had never been suspected, and Lewis has always been a suspect because of the extortion.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
I get wicked woozy from thinking about IVs because of a few different experiences with either IVs or blood draws/donation going very wrong, so my anger at this is tinged with vertigo and don’t read it if you (like Mr. Miller) are afraid of needles.

Alabama Just Botched the Execution of Alan Miller

Alabama authorities had to halt their attempt to kill a death row inmate Thursday after failing to find a vein which they could use to successfully inject the fatal cocktail.

The state began attempting to kill Alan Miller, 57, about three hours after the U.S. Supreme Court made a divided decision that he could be killed by lethal injection. Miller, who was convicted of three counts of murder in 1999, requested to be killed by nitrogen hypoxia (essentially suffocation) because he’s scared of needles. After the state said they weren't ready to use the untested method, a federal judge issued a halt in the execution order. The Supreme court reversed it in a 5-4 decision, ruling the state could kill Miller by lethal injection.

But the state called off Miller’s execution shortly before midnight because officials failed to find a vein they could use to kill Miller. According to the Guardian, Alabama Corrections Commissioner John Hamm said simply “accessing the veins was taking a little bit longer than we anticipated''.

The failed execution is just the latest in a series of high-profile botched executions in Alabama. In August, the longest execution in recorded American history took place when Alabama officials, trying to find an IV line, failed to kill Joe Nathan James Jr for three and a half hours. Maya Foa, the director of Reprieve U.S. which reviewed the execution, called the killing the “ the definition of cruel and unusual punishment.”

In 2018, Alabama’s attempt to kill Doyle Hamm, 61, had to be called off in a similar fashion to Miller’s after they took two and a half hours to find a vein. The execution was described as “gory” as the executioners caused Hamm to bleed so much that it leaked through his clothes and the pad he was sitting on. When it was finally called off Hamm collapsed and afterward, some described the execution attempt as “torture.” Hamm died in 2021 of lymphatic cancer.

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

My husband is from Haysville, Kansas. The cute little stream he played in as a kid?

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/28/state-waited-years-before-they-alerted-kansans-about-contaminated-drinking-water-report/

Yeah, speaking of dry cleaning chemicals here's a gem. I guess we don't have to wonder why he had super rare, non-genetic bone cancer starting at 17. Now he has a chunk of his spine missing and nerve damage in his back. Luckily it was slow growing and responded to chemo, and he was also lucky he was young and healthy otherwise. Glad we didn't want to have kids because who knows wtf would happen.

Scathach has a new favorite as of 02:56 on Sep 24, 2022

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Super glad the only thing in the creek I swam in as a little kid was discovered to be raw sewage

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

This is a photo of a 1962 Glasgow family atop a small hill. It was a popular place for the working class children of Glasgows' notoriously poor East End to play on. It wasn't a very big hill, nor did grass or trees grow on it, but there were very few parks in the area, which had suffered very badly from bombing in WWII, as the Germans targeted the Clydeside munitions, rail-yards and shipping hubs of the area. Adults know it was a big dump for slag and spoil from the mining/heavy industry of Glasgows' East End, but the kids didn't. It was just a good place to play.

Those children of the 1950s/60s called it The Sugarolly Mountains. There were three mountains, mainly composed of a brownish, almost crystalline powder up the top, with bigger lumps of dark-brown to black sticklike lumps down the bottom. (Sugar-allie water was a Scottish drink sometimes made from dissolving sugar and liquorice in water, one can see how the children got to the name from there).

The children used to go sledding down it on bits of scrap metal from the nearby railway sidings and the abandoned industrial works of the nearby Monklands Canal. Their mums would always be able to tell when the children had been playing on the Mountain, as they would be covered in fine brown powder. Or if they had been on it when it was raining, they would have streaks of greenish-brown on their skin and clothes.

With the expansion outwards from the overcrowded slums to large council estates on the old industrial lands of the East-End, the Sugarolly mountains were flattened, and atop them was build the housing estate of Cranhill. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranhill), high-rise flats that were supposed to provide a healthier, happier life for the poor residents of the city. (spoiler alert, it didn't, because dumping 10,000 people into an isolated estate without cars, public transport, shops or much in the way of entertainment rapidly makes the place go downhill and creates gang problems, rampant drug addiction and violence, a story repeated the world over in the 1960-1980s)

Cranhill had extra problems on top of that though. In winter, when it was very wet, a weird dark goo seeped up from between the cracks in the concrete paving around the high rise flats. When it rained, the puddles that had sat for a while turned a strange greenish colour. The Monklands Canal had been infilled by the 1970s by the M8 Motorway, but before it was filled in, it too was often that odd, unnatural green, residents remembered.

By the 1990s Cranhill and surrounding areas had been dubbed "Smack City" by the newspapers, with some of the highest levels of deprivation and drug use, and lowest life expectancy in Western Society (a mere 54 years old for men in the 90s!) It's been called "The Glasgow Effect" and there seems to be no one specific cause, more a perfect storm of a dozen different things.

But even so, people in Cranhill died very young. If it wasn't from heroin or gang violence, it was from cancer, or lung disease.

No one ever seems to have looked into what those strange green puddles were made of, what that black goo was, what those children of the 1950s and 60s' were breathing in atop the crystalline Sugarolly Mountains. They were the abject poor of Glasgows' East End. No one particularly cared.

In the early 2000s' the process of redeveloping the East End kicked in. By 2020 the substandard housing of Cranhill was mostly razed to the ground: the high-rise flats demolished and the bumpy, hilly land scraped flat, new topsoil brought in, and nice new houses built. By now it's impossible to know what was in the Sugarolly Mountains or the Monklands Canal, buried under motorway and concrete, and I strongly suspect Glasgow City Council would like to keep it that way.

But not too far away from Cranhill, there was another chemical processing plant, closed down in the 1960s and demolished, that fed into a small, culverted stream called The Polmadie Burn. Unlike Monklands, it was not drained and infilled, just covered over. It rises to the surface in a local park, and it too has the same unnatural green colour.

They tested it recently. What's in it?
Hexavalent Chromium. A notorious carcinogen...that is a brownish powder when dry, and is bright green dissolved in water.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
loving hell. Great post.

Roundup Ready
Mar 10, 2004

ACCIDENTAL SHIT POSTER

poo poo looks like it came straight from a troma film.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Irisi posted:

Hexavalent Chromium. A notorious carcinogen...that is a brownish powder when dry, and is bright green dissolved in water.

Ooh, the Erin Brockovich chemical

Tenkaris
Feb 10, 2006

I would really prefer if you would be quiet.

Busket Posket posted:

Miller, who was convicted of three counts of murder in 1999, requested to be killed by nitrogen hypoxia (essentially suffocation) because he’s scared of needles. After the state said they weren't ready to use the untested method, a federal judge issued a halt in the execution order.

Ahh yes, that's why we can't use the vastly more humane method of execution, it's UNTESTED. We just don't know what can go wrong with hypoxia!

Free Market Mambo
Jul 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Tenkaris posted:

Ahh yes, that's why we can't use the vastly more humane method of execution, it's UNTESTED. We just don't know what can go wrong with hypoxia!

The cruelty is the point.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Tenkaris posted:

There could be long-term health consequences that we won't know about for years.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Free Market Mambo posted:

The cruelty is the point.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

HopperUK posted:

loving hell. Great post.

Yeah, very good creeping tension and horror! The powerless anger and fury didn't hit at all till the end.

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Kitfox88 posted:

Yeah, very good creeping tension and horror! The powerless anger and fury didn't hit at all till the end.

Thanks to both of you for the kind words.

My dad was one of the children of the 1950s who played on the Sugarolly Mountains, and along the banks of the Monklands Canal. He's pushing 70 now, and it's from him I got most of the little details. He is in good health, though many, many of his friends from that era are either dead or chronically ill.

He also likes to point out the fact that a favourite game of the children was to go down the railway sidings where the WWII munitions were loaded and forage for various explosives and ingniter parts, various bits of ordnance , etc, and try and set them alight.

They would hide in a den made of bits of roof sheeting whilst they did this, combining all the known excitement of unstable decade-old bombs, with all the unknown excitement of playing with broken bits of asbestos laden sheeting.

I have no idea how he lived long enough to father children, to be honest.

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

This thread makes me think weird thoughts like “gee I hope more people are affected so deeply that they can write these amazing pieces about awful things!”

Seriously, that was an A++ post about a very infuriating situation.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

These excellent write-ups have me thinking about writing one about the lake in my hometown, Onondaga Lake. It's been called The Most Polluted Lake in the US, and regularly makes lists of Most Polluted Bodies of Water in the world.

To give a tease... as early as 1901, ice-harvesting was banned. Yes, over a century ago, with far less knowledge about pollution than we'd have for decades, people already knew the water was bad. Swimming was banned in 1940, and fishing --- not just for eating, but even sport --- banned in 1972.

I was born in 1974, so the lake has been a known hazard forever in my mind. Still, I grew up three blocks away, and went down to the park along the shoreline constantly as a kid/teen to sketch nature, collect cool rocks, and watch the few boaters from the local marina who braved the foul water.

Water so foul that scuba divers needed to wear safety orange suits for visibility (which was nil), and when they surfaced, their suits were pitch black and had to be trashed.

More when I'm not on my phone, if folks would like?

JacquelineDempsey has a new favorite as of 23:43 on Sep 25, 2022

TorpedoFish
Feb 19, 2006

Tingly.

JacquelineDempsey posted:

These excellent write-ups have me thinking about writing one about the lake in my hometown, Onondaga Lake. It's been called The Most Polluted Lake in the US, and regularly makes lists of Most Polluted Bodies of Water in the world.

To give a tease... as early as 1901, ice-harvesting was banned. Yes, over a century ago, with far less knowledge about pollution than we'd have for decades, people already knew the water was bad. Swimming was banned in 1940, and fishing --- not just for eating, but even sport --- banned in 1972.

I was born in 1974, so the lake has been a known hazard forever in my mind. Still, I grew up three blocks away, and went down to the park along the shoreline constantly as a kid/teen to sketch nature, collect cool rocks, and watch the few boaters from the local marina who braved the foul water.

Water so foul that scuba divers needed to wear safety orange suits for visibility (which was nil), and when they surfaced, their suits were pitch black and had to be trashed.

More when I'm not on my phone, if folks would like?
Hell yes, do it.

I did not expect that twist ending, how terrific. Love me some chrome-6 because Hollywood convinced even the weirdest of weirdos that it's a Very Bad Thing you don't want in your water.

Scathach posted:

My husband is from Haysville, Kansas. The cute little stream he played in as a kid?

https://www.salon.com/2018/08/28/state-waited-years-before-they-alerted-kansans-about-contaminated-drinking-water-report/

Yeah, speaking of dry cleaning chemicals here's a gem. I guess we don't have to wonder why he had super rare, non-genetic bone cancer starting at 17. Now he has a chunk of his spine missing and nerve damage in his back. Luckily it was slow growing and responded to chemo, and he was also lucky he was young and healthy otherwise. Glad we didn't want to have kids because who knows wtf would happen.
Fabulous. My dad has thankfully avoided any major health problems from it, but he had some minor abnormalities in routine blood work a year or two and was talking to me about it, and I insisted he call his GP that day and tell him about the dry cleaning connection. Good news is it's not multiple myeloma, but his doctor is keeping an extra eye on it given his age and presumed exposure. (Risk factors also include his father dying of cancer...but it was lung cancer, and he smoked his last cigarette a few hours before they removed one lung, so.)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Irisi posted:

This is a photo of a 1962 Glasgow family atop a small hill. It was a popular place for the working class children of Glasgows' notoriously poor East End to play on. It wasn't a very big hill, nor did grass or trees grow on it, but there were very few parks in the area, which had suffered very badly from bombing in WWII, as the Germans targeted the Clydeside munitions, rail-yards and shipping hubs of the area. Adults know it was a big dump for slag and spoil from the mining/heavy industry of Glasgows' East End, but the kids didn't. It was just a good place to play.

Those children of the 1950s/60s called it The Sugarolly Mountains. There were three mountains, mainly composed of a brownish, almost crystalline powder up the top, with bigger lumps of dark-brown to black sticklike lumps down the bottom. (Sugar-allie water was a Scottish drink sometimes made from dissolving sugar and liquorice in water, one can see how the children got to the name from there).

The children used to go sledding down it on bits of scrap metal from the nearby railway sidings and the abandoned industrial works of the nearby Monklands Canal. Their mums would always be able to tell when the children had been playing on the Mountain, as they would be covered in fine brown powder. Or if they had been on it when it was raining, they would have streaks of greenish-brown on their skin and clothes.

With the expansion outwards from the overcrowded slums to large council estates on the old industrial lands of the East-End, the Sugarolly mountains were flattened, and atop them was build the housing estate of Cranhill. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cranhill), high-rise flats that were supposed to provide a healthier, happier life for the poor residents of the city. (spoiler alert, it didn't, because dumping 10,000 people into an isolated estate without cars, public transport, shops or much in the way of entertainment rapidly makes the place go downhill and creates gang problems, rampant drug addiction and violence, a story repeated the world over in the 1960-1980s)

Cranhill had extra problems on top of that though. In winter, when it was very wet, a weird dark goo seeped up from between the cracks in the concrete paving around the high rise flats. When it rained, the puddles that had sat for a while turned a strange greenish colour. The Monklands Canal had been infilled by the 1970s by the M8 Motorway, but before it was filled in, it too was often that odd, unnatural green, residents remembered.

By the 1990s Cranhill and surrounding areas had been dubbed "Smack City" by the newspapers, with some of the highest levels of deprivation and drug use, and lowest life expectancy in Western Society (a mere 54 years old for men in the 90s!) It's been called "The Glasgow Effect" and there seems to be no one specific cause, more a perfect storm of a dozen different things.

But even so, people in Cranhill died very young. If it wasn't from heroin or gang violence, it was from cancer, or lung disease.

No one ever seems to have looked into what those strange green puddles were made of, what that black goo was, what those children of the 1950s and 60s' were breathing in atop the crystalline Sugarolly Mountains. They were the abject poor of Glasgows' East End. No one particularly cared.

In the early 2000s' the process of redeveloping the East End kicked in. By 2020 the substandard housing of Cranhill was mostly razed to the ground: the high-rise flats demolished and the bumpy, hilly land scraped flat, new topsoil brought in, and nice new houses built. By now it's impossible to know what was in the Sugarolly Mountains or the Monklands Canal, buried under motorway and concrete, and I strongly suspect Glasgow City Council would like to keep it that way.

But not too far away from Cranhill, there was another chemical processing plant, closed down in the 1960s and demolished, that fed into a small, culverted stream called The Polmadie Burn. Unlike Monklands, it was not drained and infilled, just covered over. It rises to the surface in a local park, and it too has the same unnatural green colour.

They tested it recently. What's in it?

Wow, that's grim indeed.
https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19260608.sepa-called-investigate-toxic-glasgow-burn/

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
That's incredible.

I had no idea the Germans were bombing glasgow in ww2

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's incredible.

Wait til you find out who invaded Glasgow with tanks!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

You can't drop a tank from an airplane silly

Irisi
Feb 18, 2009

Milo and POTUS posted:

That's incredible.

Glasgow was the main ship/aircraft/munitions hub of the UK in WW1 and WW2- it was primed to be so by the previous 200 years of large scale shipbuilding on the River Clyde at the massive yards that went from the city centre down through Clydebank, Greenock, Gourock and Port Glasgow.

The Nazis were desperate to shut down the production at the factories, obviously, and in my grandfathers memorable phrasing "bombed us tae gently caress".

The worst was undoubtedly The Clydebank Blitz, on the nights of 13 and 14 March 1941. The Luftwaffe were aiming at an Admirality Fuel Depot, and in their enthusiasm for their target, essentially wiped Clydebank, a small town just north-west of Glasgow, off the map.

Wikipedia gives the horrible facts: 440 Luftwaffe bombers dropped in excess of 1,650 incendiary containers and 272 tonnes of bombs. Out of approximately 12,000 houses, only eight remained undamaged — with 4,000 completely destroyed and 4,500 severely damaged. Over 35,000 people were made homeless. Over the two days 528 civilians were killed and over 617 people were seriously injured

And that was just one small town. Glasgows' densely populated East End - with rows upon rows of tight-packed tenement flats right up against the munitions factories- suffered almost as badly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clydebank_Blitz

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨
Maitland Parker, who grew up on Wittenoom’s outskirts during its heyday, remembers clouds of dust rising from a mine pumping with activity. Aboriginal children like him used to hitch rides atop the trucks transporting asbestos fibers, he said. His brother remembers chewing on the tailings like gum.

But it would take decades for people to realize what they had been breathing in. “We never had a clue, really,” Mr. Parker said.

The Last Days of an Outback Town Where Every Breath Can Be Toxic

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I looked up asbestos tailings and I'm still not sure what they were chewing "like gum"

Busket Posket
Feb 5, 2010

✨ⓡⓐⓨⓜⓞⓝⓓ✨

Brawnfire posted:

I looked up asbestos tailings and I'm still not sure what they were chewing "like gum"

This delicious, sticky mix of residual mining chemicals and blue asbestos bits. Like the edge of cotton candy that got wet and congealed, but more deadly.

Tungsten
Aug 10, 2004

Your Working Boy

Busket Posket posted:

This delicious, sticky mix of residual mining chemicals and blue asbestos bits. Like the edge of cotton candy that got wet and congealed, but more deadly.

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Huh! I admit, it does sound like a pleasant texture. Makes more sense than when my grandad used to chew tar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
I mean, gum comes from “let’s chew this stuff that’s oozing out of trees,” it’s not like tar or tailings is a huge step down