Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Captain Monkey posted:

Traffic does not affect the damage from the hardness of the surface your head hits, the speed of your bike does. If you're biking solely at like sub casual jog speeds then sure, but almost nobody does. Traffic can exacerbate, but helmets are good and cool unless you're biking across Nerf terrain.

no, it only becomes an issue if you bike at high speeds, like lycra guys do. at speeds around 20kmh or lower the chance of that happening, with properly organized traffic, is very low

im not pulling this out of my rear end either, making helmets mandatory is a question that occasionally comes up here and the effects of it have been very thoroughly researched, the conclusion is always that it wouldn't actually save lives: https://www.hln.be/binnenland/fiets...ckduckgo.com%2F (run through google translator, probably works fine)

quote:

Examples from other countries demonstrate that when bike helmets are made mandatory, the amount of cyclists drop and fewer people cycle, which negatively affects the 'safety by numbers' effect, which is the phenomenon where cycling becomes safer the more cyclists there are. "Making helmets mandatory leads to cycling becoming the domain of macho men, instead we should make the situation safer so anybody can ride a bike, the second model is clearly the better choice"

helmets are part of the anglo fallacy where everything is improved only by individualizing and professionalizing it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Manager Hoyden posted:

I do think music should be mandatory all the way through k-12 the same way language classes are. It's a kind of literacy that can't truly be picked up later in life.

We’ve humored music teachers way to long. Now we’re reaping what we sowed and finding that the music must go on even in a pandemic.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

i also know the difference because i spent a few years cycling to work in other places like the uk, and all the other commuters are just a bunch of sad looking old men wearing lycra, a helmet and 20 lights going as fast as they can while im just enjoying my ride and minding my surroundings. if you dont wear a helmet people look at you funny, you also hardly see any schoolkids or women on bikes, it's literally all just men with bad attitudes, because anglo societies are tribal and turn traffic into essentially an armed contest

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

Wearing a helmet is safer than not wearing one, but making helmets mandatory (for normal adults) is a terrible idea.

People occasionally trip while walking and fall on their heads, should pedestrians therefore wear helmets and knee pads?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I was more sympathetic to the anti-helmet arguments before I heard basically the same arguments from anti-maskers.

At least you can’t infect me with your brain injury.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Shibawanko posted:

no, it only becomes an issue if you bike at high speeds, like lycra guys do. at speeds around 20kmh or lower the chance of that happening, with properly organized traffic, is very low

My crash was at about 20 km/h on a wide-open street with zero car traffic around. Your advice would have gotten me killed and could still kill people in the future who are foolish enough to listen to it.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Powered Descent posted:

My crash was at about 20 km/h on a wide-open street with zero car traffic around. Your advice would have gotten me killed and could still kill people in the future who are foolish enough to listen to it.

lol i didnt tell you you cant wear a helmet, just that it's foolish to make it a general rule and go "EVERYBODY SHOULD WEAR ONE"

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

I was more sympathetic to the anti-helmet arguments before I heard basically the same arguments from anti-maskers.

i started wearing a mask before anyone else did and still wear one now while most people dont anymore, but helmets aren't the same thing as masks, surprisingly

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

I wear a helmet on my bike but I dont think helmets should be mandatory for bikers or cyclists. There's enough stupid people in the world

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

you fool they got hurt they have the high ground

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

My god is UK bike commutimg culture can be insufferable (as someone who commutes a few days a week on a bike). Full of lycra wankers tearing through red lights and weaving round pedestrians.

The worst thing is when there's a genuine decent bike lane (which the city has been really good at building recently) but captain lycra cycles in the four lane road at rush hour anyway because he wants to go FAST.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

My god is UK bike commutimg culture can be insufferable (as someone who commutes a few days a week on a bike). Full of lycra wankers tearing through red lights and weaving round pedestrians.

The worst thing is when there's a genuine decent bike lane (which the city has been really good at building recently) but captain lycra cycles in the four lane road at rush hour anyway because he wants to go FAST.

haha yeah, edinburgh has this beautiful shared cycling/pedestrian path that i would usually take to go to work, it wasn't even shared with cars so it should just be perfect, and it was except for the moron lycramen and their imaginary time trial, all kitted out because they thought that would magically turn them into better cyclists

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Strategic Tea posted:

But I want to go fast!

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Shibawanko posted:

because anglo societies are tribal and turn traffic into essentially an armed contest

What

pidan
Nov 6, 2012

I guess my unpopular opinion is that lycra roadbike dudes are perfectly fine. They probably cause less trouble for pedestrians than most cyclists, because they prefer to ride on the road. They're doing something for their health and they don't mind looking dorky while they're at it. They probably keep bike shops in business by buying expensive accessories. You go, lycra guy (but please put some real clothes on when you arrive).

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

the uk and the usa have this weird thing about traffic where it's basically cyclists vs cars, where cars are aggressive against cyclists and find them annoying while cyclists get all uppity and cultish instead of just existing in a system of traffic and going around. this isn't a general thing, it's a specific issue in the uk and the usa that doesn't exist to the same degree in other places

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You ever seen mad max? That's not a movie, it's a documentary.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

pidan posted:

I guess my unpopular opinion is that lycra roadbike dudes are perfectly fine. They probably cause less trouble for pedestrians than most cyclists, because they prefer to ride on the road. They're doing something for their health and they don't mind looking dorky while they're at it. They probably keep bike shops in business by buying expensive accessories. You go, lycra guy (but please put some real clothes on when you arrive).

there are some that are okay but if you're doing it for your health you might as well just ride a normal bike relatively fast, exercise is about forming a habit and if you just commute to work by bike and eat healthy you will be healthy. riding on the road is dumb though, you should ride on the bike path if it's there, why the hell would you ride on the road itself if there's another option?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

This group of people are all alike and different than Shibs therefore bad. Shibs is unironically calling them out for tribalism.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Shibawanko posted:

why the hell would you ride on the road itself if there's another option?

They’re doing it just to bother you. There cannot possibly be legitimate reasons to for them to take the street.

silence_kit
Jul 14, 2011

by the sex ghost

pidan posted:

I remember walking on the Golden Gate Bridge, a major tourist destination with a lot of pedestrians, and seeing bike-shorted cyclists trying to go at max speed across the bridge and them getting audibly frustrated that they couldn't go 30 mph across the bridge and had to yield to the tourist pedestrians. Bicyclists in the US are terrible--I will agree with Shibawanko there.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Platystemon posted:

They’re doing it just to bother you. There cannot possibly be legitimate reasons to for them to take the street.

They have every legal right to be there as much as a car but I mean there's an obvious safe option and a far riskier one that is like a minute faster. Half the time I catch up to them at the next set of lights.

They're piloting their vehicle dangerously, I'm basically just moaning about bad driving.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Platystemon posted:

im not bothered by it i just dont get it, if there's a cycling path it's just more comfortable to cycle there

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

Platystemon posted:

This is dumb. In one case, studies show that wearing the thing = more safety for the group without really doing much to protect the individual wearing it on its own. In the other, studies show that not requiring wearing of the thing = more safety for the group with little effect on the safety of the individual.

The lesson of masks isn't "always wear more stuff on your head", it's pay attention to evidence and understand that measures can impact group safety while not making much difference on an individual level.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

Captain Monkey posted:

This group of people are all alike and different than Shibs therefore bad. Shibs is unironically calling them out for tribalism.

What's it called when a white guy thinks his ultra-white nation is superior to another it's on the tip of my tongue

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Manager Hoyden posted:

What's it called when a white guy thinks his ultra-white nation is superior to another it's on the tip of my tongue

scandinavian posting

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

cargohills posted:

This is dumb. In one case, studies show that wearing the thing = more safety for the group without really doing much to protect the individual wearing it on its own. In the other, studies show that not requiring wearing of the thing = more safety for the group with little effect on the safety of the individual.

The lesson of masks isn't "always wear more stuff on your head", it's pay attention to evidence and understand that measures can impact group safety while not making much difference on an individual level.

They’re both working backwards from “I don’t want to do the thing” and grasping at anything to justify it. Some of it is really tortured like “making kids wear helmets will make them hate biking, get fat, and buy a house in the suburbs”.

But you at least recognize that masks are not great protection for the wearer, which puts you way above certain moderators on this site and everyone saying “it’s totally fine to lift the mask mandates because children and the immunocompromised can just wear their own masks if they’re so gosh durn worried”, so I can’t be too hard on you.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Some of it is really tortured like “making kids wear helmets will make them hate biking, get fat, and buy a house in the suburbs”.

This makes sense but you can literally immediately de-bunk it by going outside or even looking out the window and seeing kids quite happily riding bicycles while wearing helmets.

So anyone advancing that idea is literally:

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I have never seen a child wearing a helmet

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

My point exactly.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Gaius Marius posted:

You’ll never be a mod with that attitude.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I used to wear a helmet when I was learning to ride, and I still would now if I wanted to do bike riding in general.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Gaius Marius posted:

Turn off your monitor.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I took a fall at slow speed on my bike when I was 14 or so and when I got up there was a golf ball sized indention in the helmet my parents forced me to wear. Just happened to fall in the perfectly wrong way and there was a small rock where my head landed. I’ve been a believer in helmets ever since.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019

Josef bugman posted:

I can post some more hot takes on stuff?

PHUO: Sometimes we don't, and shouldn't, move on from grief. Sometimes things like that define us, and whilst it might not be healthy it can be just as valid as "moving on and healing".

just to move away from the helmet chat for a moment lol

over the last year i've grown to hate the word "healing" with a passion. it's almost always being used in some kind of vaguely gaslighting capacity, it feels like. kind of like "unity" has been

and also, i don't think one can truly "move on" from grief, not really - one can learn to live with it and to cope with it though. that's not a bad thing in and of itself - grief is a part of life, and just like any other part of life you can't really wish it away or make it go away via some kind of nebulous "healing"

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

you're misunderstanding the argument i made. you should probably wear a helmet if the infrastructure sucks and people drive like morons like in the US, but then the helmet is really just a stopgap measure for a deeper issue with the way traffic is organized, it doesn't actually solve the problem

Never been to the Netherlands but in general people in the US (and Canada) ((and Mexico)) are way better drivers than people in Europe, OP

Badactura
Feb 14, 2019

My wish lives in the future.
Well yeah Euros are biking everywhere

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Never been to the Netherlands but in general people in the US (and Canada) ((and Mexico)) are way better drivers than people in Europe, OP

Having driven across the Mexico, Iceland, Finland, Austria, and the US, the US has far and away the best drivers of the lot. And it’s not even close. Mexico is a distant second but there’s an enormous gap before any European country is listed.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

nurmie posted:

just to move away from the helmet chat for a moment lol

over the last year i've grown to hate the word "healing" with a passion. it's almost always being used in some kind of vaguely gaslighting capacity, it feels like. kind of like "unity" has been

and also, i don't think one can truly "move on" from grief, not really - one can learn to live with it and to cope with it though. that's not a bad thing in and of itself - grief is a part of life, and just like any other part of life you can't really wish it away or make it go away via some kind of nebulous "healing"

i think you mean you are taking the space to heal from helmet chat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
We got lots of open space to make good roads. Europe is stuck using their garbage poo poo roads they can never improve or layout properly. Some pig farmer in 1215 decided to build a shed, right loving there, forcing the road to narrow, then some famous Cardinal in 1410 blessed the pig shack or something so now it's a landmark and Pig Farm Road can never be widened from when it was a horse lane even though its the only way into or out of the city center.