Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I've apparently enlisted in the Touch Bar Brigade. Apple didn't want to give me the 2015 15" rMBP as an AppleCare replacement for my late-2013 15" rMBP since it's not "like for like features" because it doesn't have discrete video memory.

I'll be living the dongle lifestyle in a couple days when my cross-shipped laptop arrives. :unsmith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

goondolences. I would sell it and buy a 2015 model at bhphoto

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

goondolences. I would sell it and buy a 2015 model at bhphoto

Housh
Jul 9, 2001

Displayport is awesome. I have a gaming Windows 10 mini-itx hooked through my 27" iMac. Playing gears of war 4 in ultra on this beautiful apple display using a DS4 controller made my night. Also, adobe cs runs like a dream. I can't believe I can layer sound too. I can have my iTunes playing from the iMac and Command+F2 to the PC I can still hear my music playing. I hear iMessage go off and I can cmd+f2 back into osx. This is sick and I'm glad how much life I got out of this old 2010 iMac despite the failing GPU.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

rear end Catchcum posted:

Biggest reveal in tech in a decade?

"...arguably been the biggest reveal in tech each year for almost a decade"

I'm not sure what other tech product gets as much attention each year. Even more so with each new number iteration. Apple doesn't leave anything to chance which mean multiple people read that ridiculous statement about courage and thought, "hmmm, this sounds great."

IanTheM
May 22, 2007
He came from across the Atlantic. . .

rear end Catchcum posted:

If you all just switched to the iPad Pro this would be easier.

Honestly, if I didn't need to do video work, an iPad would be the perfect thing to lug around and do laptop type work on.

Anyway, the Mac division at Apple must be pretty disgruntled. These are some pretty major leaks, and most Mac fans will be really disappointed 'cause it does sound like they're giving up on OS X and setting their sights on iOS taking over, maybe even on desktops. It's also telling how the battery tech didn't really work out and they had to compensate hard, they probably wouldn't have pursued that much more thinness if they hadn't bet the farm on the new batteries working. At least the laptops aren't bursting in flames like Samsung phones.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
I wish that I didn't feel like my commitment to OS X is going to end up being a huge waste of time and effort. I genuinely can't imagine having to use Windows or Linux full time, much less any non-Macbook laptop.

turn left apple noooo...

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Deeds not Words.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I just got a 15" 2016. It's fine. The keyboard is clicky and fun and the touchbar is neat. Fingerprint scanner is awesome. I have a dongle at my desk now that gives me video, USB-A, and power over one port as opposed to the tangle of poo poo I had plugged in before. The screen is eye burning on full brightness. The only thing I miss is the little wings on the power brick that let me wrap up the cord.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

8ender posted:

The only thing I miss is the little wings on the power brick that let me wrap up the cord.

whaaaat nooooooo

Going to USB-C charging, not having a hardwired proprietary connector and being able to use third-party chargers is going to save the average Macbook owner around a hundred bucks over the lifespan of the machine. Every normal person I know has blown the cable out in some fashion and had to buy the whole thing from Apple.

eames
May 9, 2009

New 5k/4k/P3/USB-C Monitor designed by LG in partnership with Apple:

New 4k/95% P3/HDR10/USB-C Monitor designed by LG:

:confuoot:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

whaaaat nooooooo

Going to USB-C charging, not having a hardwired proprietary connector and being able to use third-party chargers is going to save the average Macbook owner around a hundred bucks over the lifespan of the machine. Every normal person I know has blown the cable out in some fashion and had to buy the whole thing from Apple.

I wish they just had invented Lightening 2.0 which would really just have been a proprietary USB 3.1 Gen 2 Physical Plug and Connection.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

eames posted:

Why is this monitor upside-down?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

eames posted:

New 4k/95% P3/HDR10/USB-C Monitor designed by LG:

Both of those stands are loving gross

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Krispy Kareem posted:

Silly SourKraut...

If you're looking to make your desktop sleeker, more courageous, and with fewer holes you get rid of speakers, not headphone ports.
No holes = fully waterproof (regardless of it being a desktop, and a feature no-one wants, it's the future!)

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

spookygonk posted:

No holes = fully waterproof (regardless of it being a desktop, and a feature no-one wants, it's the future!)

Cooling a workstation with the handicap of no air exchange would be an interesting feat, in a Superior German Engineering kind of way.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Good, they can spend the $100 on dongles

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

8ender posted:

The only thing I miss is the little wings on the power brick that let me wrap up the cord.

Apple considers this a third party opportunity. Probably. There's tons of cord management products out there.

Housh posted:

Displayport is awesome :words:

.. This is sick and I'm glad how much life I got out of this old 2010 iMac despite the failing GPU.

More in the trend of Apple taking away things that are nifty. What's so pissy is that Target Display Mode is only supported on 27-inch iMac Late 2009, 27-inch Mid 2010, then all 2012-2014 iMacs, then was promptly killed off ever since the first Retina 4K Late 2014 iMac, never to re-appear since.

Oh yeah, you know how some folks said they were able to get Apple to give them a break when their machines failed within a week or two of the warranty? Apple has closed that hole. Techies at the Fruity Hall will say right off the bat 'we can't do anything at the store level' and tell you to call AppleCare, who will listen politely and still refuse to give you a break. I bet too many people tried that defense and now ruined it for future gens.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

One of my mbp fans is making a subtle but higher pitched whine than the other. Which is bringing up great memories of when one of my 2007 mbp fans developed a whine and then failed

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

So should I even consider buying a Mac? Like a 2012 iMac or Mini?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

For what?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Binary Badger posted:

Apple considers this a third party opportunity. Probably. There's tons of cord management products out there.

The MacBook is just a bigger iPad now. You don't have the little arms on the iPad charger. Heck you probably don't bring it with you unless you're leaving for a couple days.

Also remember that the USB-C charger cable is detachable where it wasn't before. So you can just take it off, coil it up, and then put it in your bag with the charger.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

nitsuga posted:

So should I even consider buying a Mac? Like a 2012 iMac or Mini?

No, don't buy a Mac right now, their computers are in a real bad place currently but supposedly that is going to change next year.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

I saw some 2012 iMacs for ~$500. A new one is definitely out of my range. It would be for general purpose stuff, plus recording some guitar, games on Steam, etc. I'm on the fence between building my own and springing for a Mac of some kind.

Can you dual boot with Linux at all?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

KingEup posted:

Why is this monitor upside-down?

Top bezel has the camera. I imagine the speakers are stuffed up there as well.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

nitsuga posted:

It can be done, but I've never done it. I'm not sure how much of a pain in the rear end it is to set up.

Personally, since macOS is UNIX certified, and I can install almost all the open source tools I want using home brew, I've never bothered.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

nitsuga posted:

Just run it in Parallels/VMware

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bob Morales posted:

Just run it in Parallels/VMware
Or Veertu which is pretty great for the price (free)

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Cool. Any recommendations for or against a Mini? I figure 2011-2012 with an i5 and 8GB should be pretty decent, looks like you get a little more kit out of those too.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

nitsuga posted:

Cool. Any recommendations for or against a Mini? I figure 2011-2012 with an i5 and 8GB should be pretty decent, looks like you get a little more kit out of those too.

How much is the Mini? You originally said $500 for an iMac which might be a good deal. $500 for a 5 year old Mini is not a good deal.

I have a 2011 Mini that's still runs fine on the latest OS. If you max out the RAM and put in a SSD they're good machines.

That's if you can get past the whole, 'putting a SSD in a Mini' problem.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

I have a 2011 Mini that's still runs fine on the latest OS. If you max out the RAM and put in a SSD they're good machines.
At this point specs don't matter too much with older Minis. They're great for lots of tasks. The biggest concern is how much life you'll get out of it at this point due to macOS dropping support for it.

My grandparents have two Minis: my grandpa has a late-2009 that he uses every day with a speedy C2D that I upgraded to 8GB of RAM and an SSD. Grandma has a 2010 (aluminum unibody) with a slower Core 2 Duo, 4GB of RAM, and a traditional HDD since all she uses it for is to look at her photos on a bigger screen.

Apple dropped his better-spec'd (albeit older) 2009 Mini from macOS compatibility this year, and I expect the 2010 will lose out next year. That's a pretty great lifespan for a personal computer, but I'm still bummed that a perfectly capable machine lost out on support (technically he's still getting security patches at least). OS compatibility is something to keep in mind if you're looking at something like a 2011 Mini.

The writing on the wall for my 2010 27" iMac was one of the motivations for selling it while I could still say it ran the latest macOS release.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 21, 2016

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Krispy Kareem posted:

How much is the Mini? You originally said $500 for an iMac which might be a good deal. $500 for a 5 year old Mini is not a good deal.

That's if you can get past the whole, 'putting a SSD in a Mini' problem.

Yeah, this is why I'm glad I grabbed the base i7 2012 mini when it came back on the refurb store. I put in 16 GB and a 1 TB 850 EVO and it flies.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

I said come in! posted:

No, don't buy a Mac right now, their computers are in a real bad place currently but supposedly that is going to change next year.

How the hell does this have any bearing on a ~2012ish used Mac? Except for suddenly having Apple stuff be SUPER UNCOOL all of a sudden?

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Meanwhile, Apple has quietly issued what is most likely to be the last firmware upgrade ever for the Airport Extreme Base Station 802.11ac..

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1901?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

poo poo, even their graphic is outdated, the pic on their page is of the previous 802.11n second generation AEBS.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

nitsuga posted:

There's one in SA-Mart right now: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3801892

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Or Veertu which is pretty great for the price (free)

Thanks for this!

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

https://twitter.com/amotion/status/811393816108400641

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Not work safe.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

All right, so here's a little bit of what I've found:

https://eshop.macsales.com/item/Apple/112359XX8GC/

http://www.ebay.com/itm/iMac-13-1-21-5-Quad-Core-i5-3335S-2-7GHz-8GB-RAM-500GB-HDD-A1418-19884-/401235868201?hash=item5d6b857a29

I have seen the Mini in SA-Mart, but like I said I'm still on the fence. Do I build a pretty dang decent computer for $400 and run Linux (or Windows) on it? Do I take my chances on a used Mac? Or do I do something else completely? I guess that's for me to ponder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Depends how much you like OS X, and what you like doing with your machine. For casual use, I would never want a Linux box personally, and I like to leave Windows as the OS I have in the workplace so it's not a hard choice for me. Plus having an iPhone I want all my services to work nicely while using Googles products as little as possible.