Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

GreenNight posted:

Here, new employees right out of college get 2 weeks starting, experienced hires get 3 weeks. The 2 week people get a 3rd week after 5 years. 4th week after 15 years and 5 weeks at 25 years.

That's about what it was at my first job, along with zero holidays. I laughed when I saw it. They hadn't even given COL adjustments in years, so so knew almost nobody was hanging around that long.

Now it's 4 weeks shared vacation/sick days and 10 holidays including a floating day. I don't know how I'm going to use that before the use of or lose it date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
In the spirit of not giving a poo poo I checked the payroll website, saw that I'd only taken one day off this year (a sick day) so I put in a request for M-T-W of next week. Just because. I'll probably stay home the whole time to read and nap.

If I don't get fired I might get bold and request a week. But I would probably go crazy from that much time at home. It's been like... 14 years since I was away from work for that long.

DONT TOUCH THE PC
Jul 15, 2001

You should try it, it's a real buzz.

Avenging_Mikon posted:

I have no idea how I'd take off 5 weeks in a year, it absolutely boggles me.

Up until now i had 10 weeks of PTO, i'll miss those 5 weeks (but the raise makes up for it).

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

drat, I'm pretty sure I could finagle the use of 10 weeks of PTO so I didn't actually accomplish anything all year.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
Replying to emails, specifically thank you emails. Do you guys reply to them, ignore them, reply to some but not others? Any criteria you use?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

H110Hawk posted:

Take a month off at a stretch. It's an amazing way to relax and enjoy life. Go somewhere, build a shed, whatever you like to do but don't have time to in a short vacation.

Pretty sure I'd get fired or at the very least a real lovely performance eval if I tried to do this. :/

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

I have a "rule" where anything that is sent to me where I'm in the the "to" line I respond within two business days or a task is created and I'm notified.

Anything where I'm on the cc line is 3 days and goes into a separate folder.

The only exception is anything from my immediate supervisor is less than a day and flagged.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Security hired a contractor to pen test our static website, it generated 32,000 alert emails in two minutes and crashed everyone's Outlook lmao

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Email is bad for alerting

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Thanks Ants posted:

What is good for alerting?

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

A gong.

EDIT: Struck 32,000 times over two minutes! :shepicide:

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

We use PRTG (which sucks) for monitoring but these are generated by another system for web page errors

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Sickening posted:

A hand buzzer

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
User complaints

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

Thanks Ants posted:

Shock collar synced up with the production server.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

skipdogg posted:

drat, I'm pretty sure I could finagle the use of 10 weeks of PTO so I didn't actually accomplish anything all year.

I don't need 10 weeks of PTO for that!

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Sickening posted:

This morning our production database BSOD'd and one of the devs came over to tell us about it before PRTG got enough failed polls to send out alert emails.

So, that.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

This is a good answer.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

The good old "scream test." :byodood:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

:toot:

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Nice! Congrats!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

:bravo:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:cheers:

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?
Month of the job! :yotj:

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

:cheers:

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

:yotj:

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I tender resignation this coming Monday. Background check info has been submitted and should be proceed within the next couple of days. I've accepted the verbal offer and all that remains is to sign off on the the offer sheet via web portal.

It feels so good, guys... so good.

Took about a 5% pay cut but it balances out with travel/state benefits.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:toot: congrats.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
What are the kids doing these days around server inventory lifecycle management that isn't something Oracle sells? I'm going to be doing some googling and reading and all that crap, but actual in-use reviews are always better.

My goal is a source of truth around servers, their configuration, their roles, their state (up, down, broken, dead), and where they exist. The last 15 years I've worked at places (2) who built their own, but at the time nothing worked or existed which handled this. Extensible is a huge plus. Needs to handle 10,000 servers, the concept of VM's on physicals is a plus, VM's in the cloud, and physicals not hindered with a VM are required. Paid is fine.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy
Does Dark Helmut ever come here anymore?

I found a job posting from the employer's website and applied to it. I have also seen it pop up on three separate recruiters' postings with the employer's name removed and replaced with a vague description.

I'm trying to decide how normal this is and if there's any advantage at all (for me) to also applying via the recruiters' postings. I understand when companies want recruiting firms to handle their postings and how recruiters can (theoretically) expedite the process for both parties but this appears to me - as someone ignorant in the process - to be a situation where they're just scraping publicly-posted listings and inserting themselves as middlemen. I've never seen a posting that was easily found via the employer that had multiple different recruiters also soliciting for it. So far I haven't bothered applying to the other postings and I don't think I will.

Judge Schnoopy
Nov 2, 2005

dont even TRY it, pal
Certainly can't hurt. The employer wouldn't know you sent that resume to all three recruiter firms. You're just casting a wider net, with 4 parties looking over your resume instead of one.

Maybe three pass on it but one believes it's a good fit and calls you back. Maybe three call you up and you tell them "I'm already working with another recruiter on this posting".

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And I've no condemnation to those who take vacation either. I just don't think I could do it.

This is so sad.

Dick Trauma posted:

If I don't get fired I might get bold and request a week. But I would probably go crazy from that much time at home. It's been like... 14 years since I was away from work for that long.

This too.

Portland Sucks
Dec 21, 2004
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
I think I posted this in the wrong thread so I'm reposting it here.

So I got hired straight out of college (BS C.S.) a few months back as a "systems engineer" into a oldie manufacturing company who is slowly but (at least from our departmental view) desperately wanting to move into the 21st century. My day to day tasks have been about 50% self initiated following general guidance regarding the kinds of things my boss wants us to be doing. The development I've been doing has mostly been working on their legacy applications that interact with their production systems on request and some data warehousing and automation of data collection from sensors and whatnot. We're in the research department so I'm mostly in a support capacity for the researchers on that end.

Their production systems guys have been developing code in house for the last 10+ years and are pretty dependent on it, but it's a mess. On my own initiative I've rolled out a demonstration development server with a source control/CI workflow, have been creating upgraded versions of current applications to run side by side to introduce them to some potential areas we can improve on, and have been slowly cataloging all of the crippling issues regarding our network. The people who matter have received the idea of it with a lot of enthusiasm and healthy bits of caution (I can't be the only one capable of interacting with the system, we need to develop more talent, etc..).

Without getting to into the weeds about how this came about, there apparently was an internal feud a while back with the net result being that their IT department (under the CFO) said "gently caress it we're not touching it" to their entire production network years ago and gave full control (everything but domain admin) of it over to their systems engineers. So obviously there are dozens of web facing servers running every different type of MS Server you could imagine that haven't been patched in years and heaps of vulnerabilities everywhere. Everyone's known about this but they've just treated it as a sort of non issue because no one has the time to do anything about it, but they don't want IT all in their stuff "slowing things down."

Like an idiot I decided to write up a summary threat analysis of their production servers and had a conversation with my boss about it. The reaction I got was actually really positive and mostly just "well seeing it all in one place like that makes me feel pretty dumb about ignoring this for 10 years. This is a full time job isn't it?" So now the idea of creating a production sysadmin/devops/security full time position is on the table. If they decide to go ahead on it I'm thinking of asking them to pay for me to train up on the standard networking certs (I've got funding for training on the books) and pivoting into that role and having them backfill my position instead. So given an ample supply of corporate funding what would be the ideal way for someone with a standard BS C.S. background to train up in that area?

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

gently caress you too? I rent an apartment so no renovation or repairs, no lawn so no building, I'm off work by 3:45 so I have afternoon and evening every day to do stuff. What the hell do I need 5 weeks off for?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
The condo life is truly the good life. Clean the kitchen instead of mow the lawn. More AC in there.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Avenging_Mikon posted:

And I've no condemnation to those who take vacation either. I just don't think I could do it.

You....don't take vacations?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Avenging_Mikon posted:

gently caress you too? I rent an apartment so no renovation or repairs, no lawn so no building, I'm off work by 3:45 so I have afternoon and evening every day to do stuff. What the hell do I need 5 weeks off for?

To get out of dodge. Go on a vacation.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Whichever one of you that I just talked to on the phone is cool and good and thank you.
I called Faxback support and they fixed a whole shitload of issues for me.

...all but one. They couldn't apply my new server ID number or whatever because we don't have one. :D
When the tech asked me who I called, I said, "I didn't. I emailed. You called me."
Then he told me that we are out of support and I agreed, adding "yeah we've been out of support for like a year."

It was a bit sneaky but there was a good reason I saved that question for last. Anywho, I'm calling their sales people in the morning and getting that support agreement all ironed out.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Try it sometime. It feels good to know that for the next week you can do whatever you want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Avenging_Mikon posted:

To leave your immediate vicinity and see other parts of the world? To take a break from thinking about work for an extended period of time and focus on a hobby or other interest or just enjoy being unencumbered?

I don't even know how to answer this because "why would I want an extended break from work" is such a bizarre question. It's like asking why you'd ever want to eat more than top ramen when it tastes good and keeps you alive?