Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

ravenkult posted:

What faction are ya'll siding with?

Brotherhood, because I want the Fanatical Tin Men to rule the world, even though they'll probably clash with the NCR and get stomped like the Brotherhood on the East Coast did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

EvilHawk posted:

Quick question - does the game warn you when you head intot he end game-quests like 3 and NV? I feel like I'm getting to that stage and I want to make sure I know what I'm getting in to.

The end game quests aren't the same kind of point of no return. At least for the path I did I just bumped off the leaders of the railroad, then brought down the brotherhood airship then Father said great, well done, that's it, wasteland saved. Unless I'm missing something, anyway. The final faction missions against the other factions ruin their bases but apart from that there's not really any change.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why would you not use VATS? Even if you can aim fine, it builds up your crit meter. Saving a crit for a difficult enemy is pretty useful.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance
I can not tell you how helpful an infinite mag double barreled shotgun is. I was in some barracks with lots of ghouls, when suddenly a horde just comes running down the corridor including a legendary. After all my mines go off, the shotgun with a fire rate of 181 just cleans house. gently caress.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What category is the Gauss Rifle? A proper rifle or energy weapon?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Iceshade posted:

I'm not judging or smugging it up or anything. This is just my experience. Swimming in ammo, no scrounger perks. I loot everything, use semi-autos with rifleman perks. Lvl 20 now, but ammo has not been an ammo since level 5 or whatever. I was using .38 back then, and everyone dropped .38s and other things. Fought a bunch of synths, now I have 600 fusion things. The only thing I'm lacking is .44 ammo. :shrug:

The fact that you were using .38 a lot may be a big factor. I never found anything decent that took that ammo so it was real problem.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Internet Kraken posted:

Why would you not use VATS? Even if you can aim fine, it builds up your crit meter. Saving a crit for a difficult enemy is pretty useful.

I often get so immersed in the combat that VATS sort of breaks the flow and rhythm. I do use it, but not as much as I potentially could (or should).

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

Broken Cog posted:

"Kneecapper" is also pretty broken. Get it on a shotgun, and you cripple anyone and anything in two shots.

I got the Kneecapper on a 10mm pistol and I've been using it for 20 levels to cripple deathclaws before finishing them off with melee to save ammo. I even crippled Swan and beat him to death with a sledgehammer without taking a single hit.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
So uh, knowing about some of the broken weapons you can buy or get as quest rewards for other categories... are there any cool/unique handguns that aren't random drops I don't know about?

I've seen Old Faithful (Diamond City gun shop) and the 44 revolver from a story quest (Kellogg's), and that's about it.

Where are my pistols at cowboy goons

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

Kimmalah posted:

The fact that you were using .38 a lot may be a big factor. I never found anything decent that took that ammo so it was real problem.

I just upgraded my pipe rifle until it was no longer competitive. However, the musket is an absolute beast, the 10mm is pretty good, the shotgun is great (although 2 rounds with a slow reload is a problem), and the hunting rifle is very powerful. These are all ubiquitous from the very moment you leave the vault. I certainly had no lack of guns to play with, and that spreads out your ammunition usage as well. By the time I finally found a .45 submachine gun I had hundreds of rounds for it (but it's garbage and soon found a combat rifle instead).

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Iceshade posted:

I just upgraded my pipe rifle until it was no longer competitive. However, the musket is an absolute beast, the 10mm is pretty good, the shotgun is great (although 2 rounds with a slow reload is a problem), and the hunting rifle is very powerful. I certainly had no lack of guns to play with, and that spreads out your ammunition usage as well. By the time I finally found a .45 submachine gun I had hundreds of rounds for it (but it's garbage and soon found a combat rifle instead).

I don't know, even upgraded all the .38 stuff I had was just too lovely. I never found the musket because I was too far away to hear when Garvey's dialogue triggered and when I came back later it had either been picked up or blown really far away from where it was supposed to be.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

JoshTheStampede posted:

They use ammo for guns other than their default. If they run out of ammo they'll go back to their original gun.

Even if it takes the same ammo? Well that sucks.

Also I now have a Two-Shot SMG and it fucks things hard.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Are the double barrel and standard combat shotgun the only two shotguns in the game? I mean, you don't really NEED more than that because they cover most of the bases with moddability (turning the double barrel into a hunting shotgun with the long barrel/stock, etc), but I would like a cool old-school pump action or something.

Luke Smith
Aug 6, 2015

by Cowcaster
Lol the synth courser in the mission where you have to clear the flotilla was engaging a brotherhood gang with a full power armor dude as I strolled up, I just sat back and let the unkillable npc waste them all and grabbed a free set of model B power armor with a couple cool mods.

What level do gauss weapons start dropping?

Also why isn't there a long plasma barrel?

Party In My Diapee
Jan 24, 2014
I feel low level enemies like raiders die too easily, while the scary stuff are bullet sponges to the max. Maybe a balance mod will fix me up one day.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Zombies' Downfall posted:

So uh, knowing about some of the broken weapons you can buy or get as quest rewards for other categories... are there any cool/unique handguns that aren't random drops I don't know about?

I've seen Old Faithful (Diamond City gun shop) and the 44 revolver from a story quest (Kellogg's), and that's about it.

Where are my pistols at cowboy goons

You get a pretty decent one from Nick's companion quest if I remember correctly.

Sikreci
Mar 23, 2006

Back To 99 posted:

I feel low level enemies like raiders die too easily, while the scary stuff are bullet sponges to the max. Maybe a balance mod will fix me up one day.
Yeah this is my experience. I can one-shot body shot most raiders and stuff (on Very Hard) with my combat rifle, but even in my full power armor Deathclaws, Radscorpions, and Legendary Bloatflies can wreck my poo poo. At least on Very Hard legendary raiders, which still die fast, will kill me almost equally as fast (outside of power armor which I usually don't wear). It actually ends up being kind of fun to be in shootouts where both of us can die really quickly.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I'm assuming at one point in the game there will be an institute quest to off the leadership of the railroad. Can I just start their questline, murder them in cold blood, and have the endgame autoresolve?

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

evilmiera posted:

What category is the Gauss Rifle? A proper rifle or energy weapon?

It's kinda both, because you need level 4 gun nut for some of the mods on it, and also level 2 science.

Iceshade
Sep 15, 2007
Tactical Ignorance

CJacobs posted:

Are the double barrel and standard combat shotgun the only two shotguns in the game? I mean, you don't really NEED more than that because they cover most of the bases with moddability (turning the double barrel into a hunting shotgun with the long barrel/stock, etc), but I would like a cool old-school pump action or something.

You can also put a .. splitter? on laser weapons. I've not actually done it myself, but it says it spreads out the beams over an area. I guess that would be a laser shotgun. Damage won't be as good, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

How do you start companion quests btw? Wait for high enough relationship then talk to them?

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:

RBA Starblade posted:

How do you start companion quests btw? Wait for high enough relationship then talk to them?

Yep, they'll try to grab your attention when your relationship is high enough and from there you can get their quest.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

jfood posted:

Maybe it's a difficulty level thing, on VH I'm having to sell guns just to feed my bullet addiction.

The 'Endless' series of legendary weapons make great companion guns.

When you give companions different weapons do you need to give them ammo for it?

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Back To 99 posted:

This is pretty typical of the Bethesda RPG experience. Also includes killing a whole zone full of weak enemies only to be destroyed by a superpowered boss at the end.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Kimmalah posted:

This is pretty typical of the Bethesda RPG experience. Also includes killing a whole zone full of weak enemies only to be destroyed by a superpowered boss at the end.

The charter school full of ghouls was exactly this for me. All babby pink slime ghouls who die in one shot from a 10mm pistol, followed by a skull-level putrid glowing one boss that took 30 shotgun rounds to the head. :geno:

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

To ammo-struggling dudes, I want to confirm what the Goon who suggested picking up enemy weapons said. You'll get whats in their mag, which needless to say can be a loving ton for certain weapons (automatics generally with big mags etc).

Tolstojevski
Apr 10, 2009
Really happy that power armor is not something that you gotta use sparingly. Made a toon aiming just for that playstyle, crazy fun. High int for the perk the lengthens core life, high charisma so I can buy the cores for like 340 a pop atm and 1 endurance because it aint like I get out of the power armor much any old way.

Nearing level 20 now, a laser shotty for close range, a 5 crank musket and rocket launcher for anything else. Playing on hard, and its just the right amount of challenge for me.

Ripping the core out of the armor when getting out is a drill that is in my muscle memory by now as I had three counts of stragglers jumping into my power armor and bashing my skull in with pipes and whatnot while I was doing a sweep after a firefight. Still love that move tho :) .

Gorefluff
Aug 19, 2004
cuddly minotaur

Dandywalken posted:

To ammo-struggling dudes, I want to confirm what the Goon who suggested picking up enemy weapons said. You'll get whats in their mag, which needless to say can be a loving ton for certain weapons (automatics generally with big mags etc).

Shiiiiiiit this is a game changer. Unless I'm near a weapons bench to break weapons down I ignore an enemy's gear. Goonspeed.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

:eyepop:

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So does Perception no longer grant you "vision" of where enemies are unless they are alerted in 4?

I find myself taking a blind shots to force caution mode while in stealth so I can see where they are.

Also gently caress feral ghouls. The mad dash before they attack is harrowing and I find their strafing skitter awful. :gonk:

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003
the heavens shined for the game to be stable for an hour and I got to Concord and I think it's bullshit to force you to fight a loving Deathclaw so early in the game.

ghosTTy
Sep 22, 2008

how the gently caress am i supposed to kill a mirelurk queen with a melee build?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

ThePriceIsRight posted:

how the gently caress am i supposed to kill a mirelurk queen with a melee build?

Lots of drugs.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Mooseontheloose posted:

the heavens shined for the game to be stable for an hour and I got to Concord and I think it's bullshit to force you to fight a loving Deathclaw so early in the game.

A few random encounters in Fallout 3 involved Deathclaws so it was possible to be wiped out by a Deathclaw the moment you stepped out of Vault 101.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Judge Tesla posted:

A few random encounters in Fallout 3 involved Deathclaws so it was possible to be wiped out by a Deathclaw the moment you stepped out of Vault 101.

I ran into one at Meresti Station when I was just starting out. I snuck by very carefully because gently caress. :stonk:

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Fans posted:

Lots of drugs.

Also, explosives. Plant a whole load of mines at the breach where she'll enter, which is probably going to cripple her legs as well as take off a good chunk of health. Then I guess try darting in and out when she can't keep up with you.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Judge Tesla posted:

I am just lucky the game played for an hour before it crashed and now won't start again.

overdesigned
Apr 10, 2003

We are compassion...
Lipstick Apathy
I am like 36 hours into the game and have barely touched the main story.

Too busy building my sweet split-level wasteland mansion

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

The settlers in my primary base are constantly complaining about there not being enough beds even though there are 27 of them to split between the population of 17. Do you people just want me to build the walls out of beds instead? Use beds as tables, and beds for decoration? What more do you want from me?!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

I haven't done a drat thing but wander around and maybe complete random Minuteman quests when it's convenient (because I wandered into the area). My Shaun's going to be waiting a very long time for mom.

• Locked thread