Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
I don't know if anyone wants it, but I have a coupon to NewEnough.com for 10% off your next order. It can be used till November 16th. Anyone interested?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xan!
Aug 17, 2004

by elpintogrande

mrchina posted:

I don't know if anyone wants it, but I have a coupon to NewEnough.com for 10% off your next order. It can be used till November 16th. Anyone interested?

I wish you posted this a week ago when I ordered a $500 jacket.

makka-setan
Jan 21, 2004

Happy camping.
I bought some gear at an off-season sale in Stockholm, Sweden. First I got a Held Cosmo. It's jacket with CE-approved armor at the elbows and shoulders. The only jacket i tried that actually fit me really well. Plus it looks awesome!

Then I got a pair of waterproof Cordura pants with CE-approved knee protectors and some foam at the hips. I'll use them as overpants, they fit well with either a pair of jeans or shorts underneath.

I also got a KBC VR-1x fiberglass helmet with a ECE 22.05 safety rating. Atually this paintjob.

I got 20% off on everything which made a pretty sweet deal. All I need now is boots, gloves, back protector and a hi-vis rain jacket. ...And of course a bike and a license :)

Click here for the full 403x604 image.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Anyone familiar with fieldsheer branded bags? I'm looking at this
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/fieldsheer/expander_motorcycle_tail_bag.html
plus it's saddlebag counterparts. Anyone have one of these? Can you fit a helmet or jacket into this bag? I'd love to know before I buy it and realize its too small to really be useful for carrying boots/pants/whatever around when I'm off the bike.

Thanks!

I also don't have that specific Fieldsheer, but I do have their Contour Tank Bag, which I have crammed a medium EXO-700 helmet in just barely when it was expanded. That tail bag you linked is larger in length and width, and just a little taller as well when its expanded.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Dear CA,

I am tall and skinny (6' and ~150 lbs). I stopped by the local Cycle Gear to try on some gear (jackets, boots, gloves, helmets), and I confirmed what I had suspected. That is, the smallest sizes that they kept in the store for jackets (size 40 in Alpinestar) are way too loose in the torso. One of the guys at Cycle Gear mentioned that A* jackets do come as small as a size 36 and 38

For now, I'm a student so I haven't picked up a bike since getting my license (after completing the MSF), but I would prefer to have my gear in order before getting a bike. Ultimately, I would like to go to some track days, so I'm looking for leather gear, not textiles. Does anyone around here have experience with similar sized gear?

Short of getting custom leathers made for me, do I have any hope of finding an off the shelf jacket and pants that will fit?

tzam
Mar 17, 2009
I have a size 38 Alpinestars Octane jacket - about the only jacket I could find that wasn't ridiculously oversize - finding jackets with arms that fit is difficult too, most seem to be made for bodybuilders or something.

I'm 155lb, at 172cm (5'7), and its a good length for me - I don't know if they do tall sizes.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Well, picked up a little more gear last weekend :). I got the Vergigo boots per Z3n's recommendation and because it was pretty goddamn cold I snaged a pair of Cortech Scarab winter gloves. The are definitely warmer than my A* GP Plus gloves, at the expense of control feel. Not bad though, and they kept my hands significantly more comfortable in the cold weather.

If anyone is on the lookout for some gently used Dainese 2pc leathers let me know. They're just too big for me. The shoulders of the jacket are just about right but it's huge through the torso. The pants are just flat out huge on me. I want to say the jacket is a 49 and the pants are 52, I will check on this tonight. I'll get some pics and whatever other info I can offer later tonight.

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

MetaJew posted:

Dear CA,

I am tall and skinny (6' and ~150 lbs). I stopped by the local Cycle Gear to try on some gear (jackets, boots, gloves, helmets), and I confirmed what I had suspected. That is, the smallest sizes that they kept in the store for jackets (size 40 in Alpinestar) are way too loose in the torso. One of the guys at Cycle Gear mentioned that A* jackets do come as small as a size 36 and 38

For now, I'm a student so I haven't picked up a bike since getting my license (after completing the MSF), but I would prefer to have my gear in order before getting a bike. Ultimately, I would like to go to some track days, so I'm looking for leather gear, not textiles. Does anyone around here have experience with similar sized gear?

Short of getting custom leathers made for me, do I have any hope of finding an off the shelf jacket and pants that will fit?

Rev'it has a slim european fit to most of their jackets, you should check them out. Also Hein Gerieke has a slim and tall fit too.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

PlasticSun posted:

Rev'it has a slim european fit to most of their jackets, you should check them out. Also Hein Gerieke has a slim and tall fit too.

I'll take a look at Rev'it; I'm not sure who sells their gear in the US. I just glanced at the Hein Gerieke website, but just going off that it seems like most of their gear are textiles and not leather. Am I wrong?

Gay Nudist Dad
Dec 12, 2006

asshole on a scooter
Dainese also has small sizes; my chest measures 37" and I have a textile jacket in a 48 from them. I just bought a Scorpion textile jacket that fit me, but I had to size down from their chart (said I should be an S, I'm an XS)

PlasticSun
Feb 12, 2002

Unnaturally Good

MetaJew posted:

I'll take a look at Rev'it; I'm not sure who sells their gear in the US. I just glanced at the Hein Gerieke website, but just going off that it seems like most of their gear are textiles and not leather. Am I wrong?

Huh you're right Hein Gerieke seems to have transistioned to full textiles, sad their leather stuff was really amazing. I have a Paris Dakar jacket of theirs that's just beautiful.

http://www.revzilla.com/ is a very reputable online dealer that carries just about all of Rev'it's catalog.

Edit: I bet if you sent your measurements over to someone at Revzilla they could send you back a collection of links that would be ideal fits.

PlasticSun fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 3, 2009

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe
Finally, my mecha-samurai costume is complete.

I wonder if anyone has ever sat down and determined whether all the goofy poo poo they stick on gloves is actually protective in any way.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Fats posted:

I wonder if anyone has ever sat down and determined whether all the goofy poo poo they stick on gloves is actually protective in any way.

If those actually help prevent hyperextension, that's pretty awesome. Plus they use the BOA lacing system which I like a lot. Same thing as the boots I pine over. Shame that its only being used in a couple boots so far.

UserNotFound
May 7, 2006
???
I know we've mentioned headphones a few times, but i thought today's deal at https://www.woot.com looked pretty good. One for yourself and one for a riding buddy's xmas present! Review here: http://www.webbikeworld.com/Earplugs/blockade-earbuds/

I ordered, but really have no idea what to expect, other than that if they fit in my ears and my helmet comfortably, it'll be nice to finally be able to change the volume without stopping and pulling off a glove for my ipod...

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

BotchedLobotomy posted:

Anyone familiar with fieldsheer branded bags? I'm looking at this
http://www.newenoughhp.com/luggage/tail_bags/fieldsheer/expander_motorcycle_tail_bag.html
plus it's saddlebag counterparts. Anyone have one of these? Can you fit a helmet or jacket into this bag? I'd love to know before I buy it and realize its too small to really be useful for carrying boots/pants/whatever around when I'm off the bike.

Thanks!

I actually bought that very bag from NE for $28 shipped with some bike bux and a closeout deal (why're they still selling it, then?). For that price, I couldn't say no--especially since most tail bags are 100 to 200 bucks.

Unfortunately, the bungees + plastic hooks don't exactly attach anywhere convenient on my Triumph Scrambler, and I can hook them to the plastic mudguard, but I'm kind of scared of them cracking the plastic or something after vibrating for many, many miles. :confused: I can't use the saddlebags with the high pipes, so I can't help you with that...

As for storage, a jacket might fit and I'll have to get back to you on the helmet (I lock mine to the passenger peg or carry it). It definitely seems like a decent amount of room after you expand it, though. I might even be able to post some pics for you later.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Gonna do a gear review on stuff I've owned for a long time now, toes to head. I rode about 3 hours at around 60 mph and the temps were in the mid-40's on a naked cruiser with no wind protection.

Feet:
Redwing boots (similar to these) and two pairs of socks. These boots are not made for cold, but with the double socks, only my toes got cold. For the most part I was okay with the feet, but I would like to have better boots (more warmth and more protection).

Legs:
Olympia Ranger 2 pants without the liner over jeans. My legs were pretty much okay. A little chill, but not complaining. I wish I brought the liner or long underwear for more warmth in general, but it wasn't necessary.

Torso:
Olympia AST Jacket with the liner in, thick long sleeve shirt, and a long sleeve undershirt. I was getting a bit chilly by the end and could have used a sweater underneath, but it was bearable. As soon as I stopped or slowed down, I warmed right back up, so I was okay as long as I took some breaks.

Hands:
Alpinestars SP-2 gloves (an older model than the one I linked) over Tour Master glove liners. This setup was useless, especially for my right hand which I couldn't take off the throttle and out of the wind. Plus, I had no feel of the controls. I also had some JR insulated gloves I picked up cheap (similar to these) which I should have tried out. A little more feel in them, but I don't know how warm they would have been. Would have blocked more wind, at least.

I also used a couple of hand warmers that I bought at Wal-Mart. These were okay, but I thought they would have been hotter. I kept them in the gloves while working around the house later and worked fine. So, good in the cold but not good when battling wind chill.

Head:
HJC CL-15 helmet over a $20 fleece balaclava. My head was the most comfortable. I only got a bit chilly around the eyes and a bit of a cold-induced headache at the end. I ended up not putting the balaclava under my jacket, which seems to have slightly cooled my neck, but also stopped a great deal of air from entering my jacket. The only complaint with the setup is the balaclava made my helmet fit tight and noticeably higher on my head. They had another design with the same fleece material around the neck but a thin material over the head which would fit better under a helmet at the sacrifice of some warmth.

I'm glad I bought the balaclava to replace this HJC one. The HJC one is much thinner and fits really tight. New Enough says it fits up to XL helmet size, but I wear a M and it's tight. Also, the eye portal is smaller on the HJC one, which actually reduces my peripheral vision.

Does anyone know of a product that would hold hand warmers up against your neck? I figure a couple on your carotid artery would keep you really warm. The balaclava couldn't do it and I don't think a scarf would hold up either.

All in all, I was okay as long as I remembered to stop and warm up ("Trucker's Breakfast" (eggs, hash browns, and biscuits & gravy) at a rest stop is a good way of getting a lot of calories in you quickly). My hands were by far the worst part and I will need to get good cold weather gloves next year. I was stiff and had a bit of a headache at the end, but I survived.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Nov 4, 2009

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
HEY ILL HAV 2 TXT U L8TR I JUST DROVE IN 2 A DAYCARE AND SCRATCHED MY RAZR

Uthor posted:

:v: I stole all of dietcokefiend's gear.

Jesus christ, we both must have read the same advice or something, since I have SP-2 gloves, an AST jacket, ranger 2 pants, and the HJC CL-15 helmet.

I can say I agree with the cold hands, but I think you might be better off with a thicker balaclava for your neck. I will let you know how a newer one I am getting turns out. It is two part, where the part around the top of the head is thinner, and the part around your face and neck are thicker. This means more warmth, but no helmet clearance issues.

This is the one I got:

Bikers Comfort ST Wind PLUS Balaclava

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/bikers+comfort_st+wind+plus+balaclava+-+no+returns

Up until now I have been using a bikers (read bicycle riders) balaclava. Works well, but not really designed for 70-80mph wind ;)

Also those gloves are trash for cold weather. Your hands turn into numb blobs after a while. Even a cheap set of winter gloves would be better.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

dietcokefiend posted:

Bikers Comfort ST Wind PLUS Balaclava

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/motorcycle+rain+gear/bikers+comfort_st+wind+plus+balaclava+-+no+returns

Also those gloves are trash for cold weather. Your hands turn into numb blobs after a while. Even a cheap set of winter gloves would be better.

That's a loving huge Balaclava. I got the best thing I could find at Chicago Cycle because I had a gift card. I gift card I realized I left at home when checking out.

I'm really regretting not trying the JR gloves I have. My fingers are still a bit cool five hours and a hot shower after I got home.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Fats posted:

Wonder how much these will cost. I'm thinking new gear for myself this Christmas since I can't afford another bike.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004
Got my new Shark RSR2 today... loving huge step up from the HJC CL-15.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

MetaJew posted:

Dear CA,

I've got the same build as you, only even thinner (6' and 141lbs). I found that Teknic jackets fit me very well, quite slim and well fitting.

Jolci
Mar 29, 2004
deliberate
Anyone have recommendations for some decent, relatively inexpensive bike covers? Cold weather is starting to come around, and I'm tired of having leaves and other poo poo blown all over my bike..

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Tsaven Nava posted:

I've got the same build as you, only even thinner (6' and 141lbs). I found that Teknic jackets fit me very well, quite slim and well fitting.

That sounds promising. What size jacket in that brand fits you?

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

MetaJew posted:

That sounds promising. What size jacket in that brand fits you?

The jacket I have is a size 44. It's a good fit, it's not skin-tight, but it fits overall very well. It was the first thing I tried on that actually fit.

The jacket I have is their Super-Vent Pro, and they're not kidding when they say it's vented. Any cooler outside then ~80f is uncomfortable in it, you're too cold (at least on my cruiser-style bike with no fairings or windshield). I didn't try on any of their other jackets.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
Just picked up a new helmet. I had a Shoei RF-1000 before and after selling it and not riding for about 4 months, I got back into motorcycles and had to borrow a friend's spare Scorpion EXO-700.

What an upgrade from that crap Scorpion. The Scorpion would be noisy, fog up, the shield gave me constant glare, and bits and pieces were glued on and would fall off. Not to mention terrible venting where I had a jet of air shoot straight into my right eye.

So I finally found a great deal on a Shoei RF-1100. Shoei has always fit my head perfectly whereas the Arai Quantum II has a slight squeezing effect near the top of my head. I picked it up from Cycle gear in Matte Black, size small, for $332 after taxes. The DMV motorcycle handbook has a 20% off coupon on the inside cover and I had price matched the helmet from $399.99 to $379.99.

Haven't had too much time to test the helmet yet but I'm glad I'm riding with a Shoei again.

Skier
Apr 24, 2003

Fuck yeah.
Fan of Britches
After wearing my HJC CL-15 for only a month or two, I gotta say the build quality is poo poo compared to my old CL-14. The whole thing feels cheap, vents are bad, visor mechanism is meh.

For the $85 I spent it's not terrible, but I think I'll spring for a leftover RF-1000 if I can find one after Christmas.

dietcokefiend
Apr 28, 2004

Skier posted:

After wearing my HJC CL-15 for only a month or two, I gotta say the build quality is poo poo compared to my old CL-14. The whole thing feels cheap, vents are bad, visor mechanism is meh.

For the $85 I spent it's not terrible, but I think I'll spring for a leftover RF-1000 if I can find one after Christmas.

Shark RSR2 ;)

Tsaven Nava
Dec 31, 2008

by elpintogrande

Skier posted:

Yeah, just for fun I wore my HJC $80 helmet yesterday on a two-hour ride from Chicago to Milwaukee. Wow, there's a huge difference between it and my Nolan N102.

Granted, I got the HJC for people riding bitch, mostly so when all the girls start pestering me for rides on the bike, I can oblige them :)

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Having only worn a CL-15, I've never had any cause to complain (other than the useless vents). It goes on my head, keeps the wind out of my eyes, and that's all I expected it to do. I guess I'll be in absolute heaven when I buy something different. The HJC has served me for four years, so I think it's about time to look for something new.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

Uthor posted:

Having only worn a CL-15, I've never had any cause to complain (other than the useless vents). It goes on my head, keeps the wind out of my eyes, and that's all I expected it to do. I guess I'll be in absolute heaven when I buy something different. The HJC has served me for four years, so I think it's about time to look for something new.

Nothing wrong with CL-15s. I have one and went down in it. Protected my noggin just fine. A little noisy and the shell was a little big. Also the vents were completely useless.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Edit: Coupon out the door. Thanks for playing.

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 8, 2009

M4gic
Aug 23, 2005

They say...hunger is the best spice!

MetaJew posted:

Dear CA,

I am tall and skinny (6' and ~150 lbs).....

I'm pretty much screwed like you at 6' 6" and ~160 lbs. All I can say is good luck finding anything with sleeves long enough so your arms don't stick out. On a side note, I bought a fairly decent leather jacket from a local shop but the only problem is it doesn't have any CE armor in it. Has anyone tried putting CE armor in anything? How bad would it be to just buy a couple elbow/shoulder/back protector and velcro them in it?

M4gic fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Nov 8, 2009

broadwayLamb
Apr 3, 2009

Just ordered myself a new helmet. Scorpion EXO 700:

I already own an EXO 1000, But it's taken a beating over 16,000 miles. I decided on the 700 as as replacement because the fit is good even without the 1000's air-pump fit thingy, and I don't really use the 1000's sun visor too much anymore. Plus I was able to get this one for about $110 versus around $300 for the EXO 1000.

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

phishnut posted:

I might even be able to post some pics for you later.
Well, here it is: the Fieldsheer Expander Tailbag.

EvilCrayon
Dec 30, 2007
I don't know if this has been talked about before but what do you guys think of the Dainese Bubble liner? Does it work all right? People say that it's an all around good liner for most days...

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Anyone use a Shock Doctor Eject system? It's a bladder that fits in the top of your helmet which would allow relatively easy removal in the event of an accident. It seems like a great thing on the track, but I doubt there'd be enough street use for an EMT to recognize the system and know how to use it.

Drunk Pledge Driver
Nov 10, 2004

phishnut posted:

Well, here it is: the Fieldsheer Expander Tailbag.

Hello fellow Triumph owner with Caberg 104 helmet.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE

broadwayLamb posted:

Just ordered myself a new helmet. Scorpion EXO 700:

I already own an EXO 1000, But it's taken a beating over 16,000 miles. I decided on the 700 as as replacement because the fit is good even without the 1000's air-pump fit thingy, and I don't really use the 1000's sun visor too much anymore. Plus I was able to get this one for about $110 versus around $300 for the EXO 1000.

I've been riding and commuting with this helmet for 3 years and totally love it. Fits perfectly still, the padding is as good as day 1, the vents are decent, and I've been swapping the clear visor to smoke most days I've ridden and the mechanism is still is great shape and takes 20 seconds to swap.

I've only had to remove and wash the liner once and that was pretty easy too. Get the Aero blocker for the chin though.

My only issues are that is a little heavy from what I hear and the wind noise is kinda high.

Here it is in action. Bonus z3n in the background

phishnut
Apr 28, 2002

HO HO HO

Drunk Pledge Driver posted:

Hello fellow Triumph owner with Caberg 104 helmet.

Actually, uh, it's a V2R that I had shipped over from Britain... :ssh:

Caberg needs to get it together and find a distributor in the US. The V2R has a 5-star safety rating from SHARP, is only £110, and has a bitching flip-down sun visor. It's also a pain in the rear end to have shipped from another continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kallikrates
Jul 7, 2002
Pro Lurker
Im about return some gear that fits me pretty badly and I need help finding replacements

Tour Master Flex Pants to tight around the waist, to long and baggy everywhere else.
Tour Master Coaster II Jacket to tight around the waist big in the chest and upper arms.

The flex pants seemed nice with all the options you get but I don't need something so warm where I live currently(I just need mesh with the option of a windbreak+layers), and at the end of the day they give me birthing hips

The jacket wasn't perforated which is my bad since i knew what i was getting into but I don't get what type of body the jack was designed for someone with a 28" waist and a 39" chest. I am not a fat guy. but I do run smaller in size.

Also any recommendations for some knee pads to wear under jeans? since I think that sounds way more comfortable.