Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mrchina posted:

2008 ZX6R with 517 miles on it. Very excited to go from my SV650 to this.

She's a beauty. You've made the step I want to make in a few years once I graduate/get tired of the SV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziploc
Sep 19, 2006
MX-5
I wonder whats written under the bottom ring of the tach. You can just see the top of some writing in the ODO photo.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

mrchina posted:

2008 ZX6R with 517 miles on it. Very excited to go from my SV650 to this.

Who lowered it? Looks like the forks are pushed up 10-20mm and looking at the back it probably has a lowering link in there.

mrchina
Sep 8, 2004
Thanks everyone...

Great eye! The previous owner was a shorty... I have the original links and kickstand that I have to put on. What do you think I should do about the front end though? My SV was easy as pie to work on, I know nothing about this bike besides how to put miles on it! I'm going to take it to the dealership in the spring, as right now it's just sitting in my garage... but it does annoy the crap out of me that it was lowered.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Just jack up the front of the bike so the front tire is off the ground, then loosen the triple tree clamp around the forks and slide them down to where they should be. There should be a groove or some kind of marking on the fork tube that is meant to be flush with the surface of the triple tree. This, of course, is after you put the original link and kickstand back in.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

Just jack up the front of the bike so the front tire is off the ground, then loosen the triple tree clamp around the forks and slide them down to where they should be. There should be a groove or some kind of marking on the fork tube that is meant to be flush with the surface of the triple tree. This, of course, is after you put the original link and kickstand back in.

Yep, it should take you no time at all.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

And you can do that today, while you wait for/shop for regular (non-lowering) links...and have rake that goes all the way out to Sturgis. :)

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Jabs posted:

And you can do that today, while you wait for/shop for regular (non-lowering) links...and have rake that goes all the way out to Sturgis. :)

I rode through Sturgis Rd. this past weekend!

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Just bought a '93 Nighthawk 750 for $1500, a hair under 16k on the clock.

It's pretty clean, though has a few bumps and scratches, no big deal though. For a 17 year old bike, based on a 40 year old design, it's not too shabby.

jdonz
Jan 4, 2004

That Nighthawk looks like its in great shape for being 17 years old.

Cross-post from the dirt thread:

2011 WR250R

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Just bought my first real bike!

2007 Kawasaki KLX250R, for $4500 AUD. I know I shouldn't buy the first bike I go see, but there's not a lot of selection in this city. The only thing I don't like about it is the gigantic parrot beak mudguard (but that's on all dirtbikes) and the boxy headlight. I'm only going to have this for the first year of my license anyway, after that I can get something bigger.

It has an insanely low mileage of 1200 km, the previous owner is in the SAS or something so was rarely home and rarely got to ride it. However he did take it off-roading and dropped it at least once; there's a lot of dings and scratches on the left side. But I'll probably be adding to those myself.

The other downside is that I don't have my license yet, so it just sits there in the garage tempting me with forbidden love.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Just got back from a 120mile ride on the new bike. Way different then either the 250, or transalp.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Someone bought that NIghthawk and then didn't ride it for 17 years. How does that happen?

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

They were very kindly paying my depreciation expense.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

First Bike, as of a few weeks ago.

'99 Kawasaki ER5. "Rhea"

And in the background. My girlfriends Yamaha Virago 250.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Cool color, looks like British Racing Green to me.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010
Here is my previous ride (recently sold), a Honda ST-1300. It was a great bike, but just not comfortable for long trips.

I'm going to upgrade to a BMW K-1200 LT soon.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

What didn't you like about your ST1300 comfort wise? I thought they were supposed to be built for long distance comfort.

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

blugu64 posted:

What didn't you like about your ST1300 comfort wise? I thought they were supposed to be built for long distance comfort.

I think it depends on how old you are. :-) I'm 45, and not as flexible as I used to be. I loved the bike and the way it handled -- it had tons of power and was very nimble, but after about 2 hours or riding, my back would start to hurt. One guy told me that you need to support yourself with your stomach muscles. I tried that and it helped a little, but it was still uncomfortable on long rides. It is also not very well suited for a second rider.

I plugged my body size into that goon-made posture calculator. On an ST-1300, I am leaning about 15 degrees. On a K-1200 LT, I would be leaning about 2 degrees. That's enough to make a different over a long run. The K-1200 also has some back support vs none on the ST.

The BMW R-series is really the equivalent of an ST. I'm kind of stepping up to what is the (rough) equivalent in BMW of a Goldwing. However, it is a lot smaller. To me, it is kind of in-between a sport-touring bike like the ST and a Goldwing.

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
Got my first bike today. Dead-of-Winter in Northern Indiana deal on a 1980 Honda CB650 Custom. 8379 Miles, PO bought it to ride, but lost his license shortly afterwards while riding his other bike. Paid in cash, $900 (asking $1000, probably could've gone to $850)

The bike is stock aside from a 4-1 exhaust (was 4-2) and I'm assuming a replaced OEM-looking seat. There's a small ding in the tank where it tipped over into a wall in the guy's garage, but it's not crumpled and should pop out.

I haven't ridden anything 2-wheeled with a motor in over 15 years, just some time on a Dual Sport, mostly offroad/gravel. I'm planning on doing the MSF/ABATE course sometime in the spring/early summer, and just doing short rides around town until I get used to the bike.

Got my helmet already and shopping around at the moment for the rest of my gear.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Every time one of you posts an old bike a sound not unlike "aurgh" escapes from my mouth when my eyes rest on the part of the image with the handlebars in it.

designers from the 1980s, why? :(

robotsinmyhead
Nov 29, 2005

Dude, they oughta call you Piledriver!

Clever Betty
If I change anything on the bike, it'll be the bars. They're way too low.

Edit: by which, of course I mean swapping on 8ft apehangers or clipon drag bars. HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

robotsinmyhead fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Dec 27, 2010

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

robotsinmyhead posted:

If I change anything on the bike, it'll be the bars. They're way too low.

:barf:

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

robotsinmyhead posted:

Got my first bike today. Dead-of-Winter in Northern Indiana deal on a 1980 Honda CB650 Custom.

My best friend's first bike was a Honda Custom and I think they're pretty cool, they're about the only road bike I can think of (admittedly not many) other than road-trails or super expensive vintage naked bikes where you sit up straight. I don't know why, I'm a natural sloucher, but I hate the idea of even a CB or VTR where you have to lean forward even slightly.

edit: Wait, a Custom is a CB? It's like everything I know about bikes is wrong!

freebooter fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Dec 27, 2010

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

freebooter posted:

edit: Wait, a Custom is a CB? It's like everything I know about bikes is wrong!

Yep, it's a standard with a stepped seat, curly handlebars, a "peanut" tank, and extra chrome. The same is true for Kawasaki LTDs and L-model Suzukis.

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Went for a ride, some friends took some pick-chers. (my hosting)

2010 Triumph Street Triple R. Stock as a rock for now.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Wassup Triumph buddy :D

Picked up this gem tonight:

So, it came with 2 boxes of poo poo, including but not limited to:

The stock exhaust, stock levers, a HUGE tank bag, a battery tender, spare HID bulbs, a shop manual, warranty info, a brand spankin new (not on the bike) set of Corsa IIIs, a tuneboy (power commander like), spare windwhield (smoked) and a bunch of other crap I can't remember.

Frozen Pizza Party fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 29, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

SaNChEzZ posted:

So, it came with 2 boxes of poo poo, including but not limited to:

The stock exhaust, stock levers, a HUGE tank bag, a battery tender, spare HID bulbs, a shop manual, warranty info, a brand spankin new (not on the bike) set of Corsa IIIs, a tuneboy (power commander like), spare windwhield (smoked) and a bunch of other crap I can't remember.

Congrats! I've always liked the look and sound of the 675 but never have had the chance to ride one. Get some miles on that thing and give us a ride report!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Wanna ride that, bring it up here and let me thrash it!

Congrats on the new bike, I know you've been wanting one of those for awhile. :)

PuntCuncher
Apr 21, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

SaNChEzZ posted:

Wassup Triumph buddy :D

Great bikes, and was high up on my list before I purchased the Street Triple, but I wanted to move away from the more aggressive riding position.

Love the engine (obviously)

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010
My new ride: 2009 K-1200 LT. I picked it up with 320 miles on it. The guy bought it, rode it a little and then traded it in on a Harley. :roll: I got to take advantage of the depreciation.

I know this isn't the typical goon ride, but I love it. It just eats up the miles.

infraboy
Aug 15, 2002

Phungshwei!!!!!!1123
Sheesh trading the BMW for a Harley is like going from a modern jet fighter to a WW1 bi-plane.

def snow leppard
Sep 12, 2010

infraboy posted:

Sheesh trading the BMW for a Harley is like going from a modern jet fighter to a WW1 bi-plane.

No, its like going from a sissy bike to a REAL bike. :fella:

def snow leppard fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Dec 31, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Clank posted:

No, its like going from a sissy bike to a REAL bike. :fella:

Is that supposed to be a James Hetfield smiley or is it just coincidence?

That must have been a great deal, Mr Clownfish. I love integrated luggage - if only my commute was long enough to justify a tourer.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

infraboy posted:

You say that like it's supposed to be a joke. I can see the attraction of a biplane. :mmmhmm:

Mr Clownfish posted:

My new ride: 2009 K-1200 LT. I picked it up with 320 miles on it. The guy bought it, rode it a little and then traded it in on a Harley. :roll: I got to take advantage of the depreciation.

I know this isn't the typical goon ride, but I love it. It just eats up the miles.

That's a gorgeous bike! I want to see more pics!

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 31, 2010

Mr Clownfish
Jan 1, 2010

Saga posted:

That must have been a great deal, Mr Clownfish. I love integrated luggage - if only my commute was long enough to justify a tourer.

My commute is only about 4 miles. I mainly got it because I want to go on long trips comfortably. I really like the "trunk" It is much easier to keep things organized there than the saddlebags. The trunk also has a vanity mirror, which makes me laugh for some reason.

For example, I brought the bike back from Dallas yesterday and I took the long route (avoiding I-35). It took me 6 hours to make what would normally be a 3 hour trip. I stopped in this little town called Meridian, at the hole-in-the-wall convenience store. There was a group of about 10 old men just sitting around in the store, bullshitting. I sat down and chatted with them for a while; they were really friendly and had some great stores. Those are the kinds of experiences I am looking for.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

Doctor Zero posted:

You say that like it's supposed to be a joke. I can see the attraction of a biplane. :mmmhmm:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j6PnKUEFX8g

110hp, just like a modern harley! (only vrod, though)

top speed 104mph, just like a modern harley!

no throttle, rpm is controlled just by interrupting spark

just like a modern harley!

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

That is an amazing video! You should post it in the AI plane thread. I didn't know the Camel had the rotary engine and I didn't know it ran on interrupted ignition. Part of me admires it, part of me is revolted by it. It's a beautiful abomination.

edit: They should put it back on the market. Call it the Sopwith Heritage Custom Screaming Teapot Camel.

Dagen H
Mar 19, 2009

Hogertrafikomlaggningen

Saga posted:

It's WWE superstar Sheamus. Fella.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Ola posted:

That is an amazing video! You should post it in the AI plane thread. I didn't know the Camel had the rotary engine and I didn't know it ran on interrupted ignition. Part of me admires it, part of me is revolted by it. It's a beautiful abomination.

edit: They should put it back on the market. Call it the Sopwith Heritage Custom Screaming Teapot Camel.

Yes, and just like Harleys, they're VFR only. :allears:

:corsair: Mid life crisis control, Dethblayde 666 declaring an emergency! I have encountered a raindrop and my autosol levels are critical.

:frog: Dethblayde, we have two upmarket coffee shops and the underside of a flyover cleared for you. What are your intentions?

:corsair: Control, Dethblayde 666, am encountering multiple raindrops and a complete loss of H.O.G. credibility. [paint warning and resale value klaxon sounds, heavy breathing] It's no good...sometimes you just gotta lay 'er down.

[sound of impact, rupturing Harley (TM) spray on deodorant canisters]

:frogsiren: