Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.
So I've had an SV650SA for the last couple years, but I didn't get to put a lot of miles on it, mainly because of the ergos. I love bombing around town and the pull from a stop is amazing, but I found I was getting uncomfortable after 30 minutes, and couldn't ride for more than an hour without stopping. I don't want to get rid of the bike, but I also don't want to spend a pile of time and money trying to make it more comfortable, only to find it devalued later if I have to sell it for one reason or another.

In hindsight I should've just gotten a Naked SV, but barring a trade for one, what other bikes would you guys consider equivalent to the SV650?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

Abe Froman posted:

Dumb question: is that "split" below the bolt supposed to be there? It looks to neat to be accidental, but I thought I'd ask anyway because it's not on the other side.

Yes, that's so your pinch bolts can clamp on the axle.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Abe Froman posted:

Dumb question: is that "split" below the bolt supposed to be there? It looks to neat to be accidental, but I thought I'd ask anyway because it's not on the other side.

Yes, the bolt on the right pinches that part shut around the axle. Remove the nut on the other side, loosen the pinch point and out it slides.

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib

HammerOfHope posted:

In hindsight I should've just gotten a Naked SV, but barring a trade for one, what other bikes would you guys consider equivalent to the SV650?

All faster or more expensive, but here are bike I would look at to replace my SV650 if I wanted a similar style:

Triumph Street Triple !!
Yamaha Hornet
Ducati Monster
Aprilia shiver

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

spandexcajun posted:

All faster or more expensive, but here are bike I would look at to replace my SV650 if I wanted a similar style:

Triumph Street Triple !!
Yamaha Hornet
Ducati Monster
Aprilia shiver

There's a Yamaha Hornet? I thought it was Honda Hornet?

spandexcajun
Feb 28, 2005

Suck the head for a little extra cajun flavor
Fallen Rib
Wow, I was thinking of the Yamaha naked 1000, you know the Z1000? (the Z1000 is a Kawasaki, so I was completely wrong on all fronts...)

So, uh, add Kawasaki Z1000 to the list :)

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
--the creator of awesome--
I installed a handlebar conversion kit on my SV650S last weekend. I bought the rather expensive one from "Cool-n-comfy" or topyokes.com. It's a nice kit and I absolutely LOVE the change. It's a huge difference from the clipons. I didn't end up using the extended throttle cables, so hit me up if you want some (brand new, of course!).

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

The Sausage King of Chicago
I've been thinking about picking up a Sargent seat. How much better are they than the stock seat? I'm not really put off by the $275 cost, as I am beginning to think that the stock seat has something to do with my recent diagnosis of foot drop. I haven't had anything traumatic happen to cause it. It may be all coincidence, but I rode a lot last summer on my Ninja 250 without issue. I bought the SV650 in early May this year and a month later I have problems flexing my ankle upward. I don't think it's all that severe and will get better with some physical therapy. It may have nothing to do with compressing the nerve in my leg from the seat - it could be in my spine. I just want to do everything I can avoid a repeat performance.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

Abe Froman posted:

I've been thinking about picking up a Sargent seat. How much better are they than the stock seat? I'm not really put off by the $275 cost, as I am beginning to think that the stock seat has something to do with my recent diagnosis of foot drop. I haven't had anything traumatic happen to cause it. It may be all coincidence, but I rode a lot last summer on my Ninja 250 without issue. I bought the SV650 in early May this year and a month later I have problems flexing my ankle upward. I don't think it's all that severe and will get better with some physical therapy. It may have nothing to do with compressing the nerve in my leg from the seat - it could be in my spine. I just want to do everything I can avoid a repeat performance.

I have the Sargent and, in my opinion, it is way better than stock and shockingly inexpensive. My butt and legs immediately stopped falling asleep on rides greater than 20 miles. I also came from a Ninja 250 and had no issues with it, so I think you'll like it.

kenny powerzzz
Jan 20, 2010

Abe Froman posted:

For me the stock seat wanted to shift my weight down balls first into the tank anytime I wasn't on the gas. It also made my rear end sore pretty quickly. I had to constantly shift my weight to avoid sore spots , which to be fair you should do anyway. As soon as I put the Sargent on it was like taking off a pair of really tight shoes and putting on a new pair that fit right. It eliminated all the forward pitch and I can ride for quite a while before I feel the need to shift my weight. Install was dead simple . The only negatives I can say is they are a little pricey, they lower seat height a bit ( I'm tall and it's only an inch or so lower so may be a plus for some), and to keep the pillion seat matching you have to install a cover on your old pillion. I didn't do it but it really doesn't bother me much as they're pretty close of a pattern. All in all it's my favorite mod I've done to the bike and I would suggest it to anyone with any discomfort on an sv.

HammerOfHope
Apr 21, 2003

Pounding away since 1984.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

I installed a handlebar conversion kit on my SV650S last weekend. I bought the rather expensive one from "Cool-n-comfy" or topyokes.com. It's a nice kit and I absolutely LOVE the change. It's a huge difference from the clipons. I didn't end up using the extended throttle cables, so hit me up if you want some (brand new, of course!).

I've heard of this kit, but how did you manage to install it without the throttle cables? Would you say it's worth buying all together or cheaper to source aftermarket parts from a few locations?

spandexcajun posted:

Triumph Street Triple !!
Yamaha Hornet
Ducati Monster
Aprilia shiver

Those are all good options, and I've even been looking at bikes from the 80s and 90s before clip-ons came standard on most bikes.

HammerOfHope fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jun 24, 2013

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Thanks XYLOPAGUS and kenny powerzzz for the input. I'm going to order the Sargent soon. Though I spoke with my cousin's fiance, who is a doctor, today at their engagement party and based upon his superior anatomical knowledge and the fact he rides, concluded that riding has nothing to do with my problem.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Did you make sure to do a full handlebar lock from left to right to make sure it doesn't bind or rev the engine? I'd be concerned about not having used the extended cables for these reasons.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
Turning the handlebar full lock to the right, it does pull on the cable a tiny bit (making the throttle slow on return but does not open the throttle), but I never ride at full lock, so I consider it fine. If you look at the throttle cables they come out on top in their stock orientation, but I rotated them to the bottom, which gave me more room. When I installed the longer cables, they were way long and I couldn't get the throttle to snap shut.

If I'm super bored one day, I might try to install them again, but I had a bunch of trouble with them, so I'll just hang onto them for now.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Ah I see. Just wanted to make sure you wouldn't have to find out the hard way that your cables are too short while mid-turn.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

XYLOPAGUS posted:

Turning the handlebar full lock to the right, it does pull on the cable a tiny bit (making the throttle slow on return but does not open the throttle), but I never ride at full lock, so I consider it fine. If you look at the throttle cables they come out on top in their stock orientation, but I rotated them to the bottom, which gave me more room. When I installed the longer cables, they were way long and I couldn't get the throttle to snap shut.

If I'm super bored one day, I might try to install them again, but I had a bunch of trouble with them, so I'll just hang onto them for now.

My bike is like that and it's fine. I crashed it and swapped to a naked setup, if it's warming up and I rev it full lock right then in sticks, left not so bad. But normal running it's no sweat.

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006

yergacheffe posted:

Ah I see. Just wanted to make sure you wouldn't have to find out the hard way that your cables are too short while mid-turn.

Thanks for the concern, though! :hfive:

XYLOPAGUS
Aug 23, 2006
So, after I installed my new handlebars, I noticed that my front end seems to want to undulate a little more. Like unsettling in turns and such. Is this due to the new handlebars?

full disclosure: while disassembling the bike, I stupidly removed one of the caps on my forks. I re-installed it, but could that have caused them to get out of whack? Possibly with the spring pre-tension thing?

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

I just got new tires put on my SV650 and have what is probably a dumb question.

The dark line on the tires, which I am assuming is where the contact is being made when I'm going straight, is off to the left on the rear tire and off to the right on the front (if looking at the tire from behind). Is this an alignment problem?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Dark line has to do with something electricity, maybe thunder? I can't really remember but it's totally ok.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
It's an anti-static strip, check out this post in the tire thread;

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3174783&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=20#post414209445

Abe Froman
Jul 2, 2003

Thanks for the quick response guys. My paranoia is quelled.

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I'm going to be doing a full exhaust replacement on my '01 650. Does anyone in the NYC area (I'm in Tenafly) with the tools want to wrench it with me? I'm in the area for the next month for work and would really like to not take it to a shop.

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.

vs Dinosaurs posted:

I'm going to be doing a full exhaust replacement on my '01 650. Does anyone in the NYC area (I'm in Tenafly) with the tools want to wrench it with me? I'm in the area for the next month for work and would really like to not take it to a shop.

If you own a 12mm socket and wrench you can literally do 99% of the work required. I don't know if it's actually 12mm but it's dead simple to replace exhausts. It's literally "remove bolt A" and so on. Just jump into it and you'll come out ok.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

for sale custom bike over a billion invested

College Slice
Getting them off isn't the hard part, but it took me forever to get mine back on because of how inaccessible the rear pipe is.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Double postin'

Over the last couple days, I've noticed my SV making what I can only describe as a teeth chattering noise from 2k-3k rpm. I can't say for sure if it continues higher in the rev range due to exhaust noise, but I don't think it does. It's independent of movement, so it's an engine noise, but I don't know if it's just the valvetrain (I did my adjustment ~1000 miles ago and set to the loose end) or something else. Any ideas? The bike has approximately 25k miles on it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Chain?

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice

AncientTV posted:

It's independent of movement

Probably should have been more clear; it still happens when I'm at a dead stop and just rev to the offending range.

xd
Sep 28, 2001

glorifying my tragic destiny..
Cam chain tensioner?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

AncientTV posted:

Probably should have been more clear; it still happens when I'm at a dead stop and just rev to the offending range.

Ahh, whoops, should have read closer. I'd lean towards CCT as well. Remove and inspect that it's not stuck or something.

AncientTV
Jun 1, 2006

College Slice
Ah, it actually does sound a lot like my 250s noisey tensioner, I didn't even think of that. I'll check them out tonight, thanks guys.

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
My '07 is leaking coolant from what I think is the water pump vent hose. What should I be watching out for? I'm hoping it's nothing serious. :(

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

There shouldnt be a hose on the water pump. Where are you seeing it leaking from?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house
That's what I get for Googling. I'll take a picture after work. There's a little open ended hose next to where the oil gauge is, on the right side of the bike, if that helps.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

internet inc posted:

That's what I get for Googling. I'll take a picture after work. There's a little open ended hose next to where the oil gauge is, on the right side of the bike, if that helps.

Is your coolant overflow overfull?

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Z3n posted:

Is your coolant overflow overfull?

It looks like it is. I haven't added any coolant recently and the coolant puddles have been happening for a week or so. :ohdear:

You probably figured it out by now, but the term I was looking for earlier, I believe, is the overflow hose.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

internet inc posted:

It looks like it is. I haven't added any coolant recently and the coolant puddles have been happening for a week or so. :ohdear:

You probably figured it out by now, but the term I was looking for earlier, I believe, is the overflow hose.

Might have just been too full and if it's been hot lately, the coolant is expanding, flowing into the overflow, and ending up on the ground. Check your radiator cap, if it's full, just siphon out some from the overflow container.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Hey if anyone is interested in a SV650 in Atlanta mines up for sale.

quote:

Haven't done anything in the way of engine/power upgrades as this thing will haul plenty fast enough for me. However, the suspension and brakes have been upgraded to a complete 2006 gsxr600 front end with LSL top triple and a Pro Taper handlebar. Woodcraft rearsets, complete with levers, have replaced the stock pegs. Added Blair lowering plates to rear sets to make them more comfortable. The rear wheel is from a CBR600 and is slightly wider to fit a 180/55 R17 tire. Brake lines front and rear are Galfer stainless steel. Also has a gear indicator.

There is nothing machined, cut, or modified on this bike that will not allow you to go back to stock. Any spacers and modifications are on the added parts. There are quite a few other neat bits I've added as I came a cross them and you can see some in the pics (i.e., billet rear brake reservoir, swingarm spools, integrated tail light). In the last few years I've replaced the sprockets and chain, new clutch cable. Tire in back is two years old and tire in front was new last year. Again, needs nothing and is ready to ride. I have the title, no liens, bike has around 24,000 miles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

internet inc
Jun 13, 2005

brb
taking pictures
of ur house

Z3n posted:

Might have just been too full and if it's been hot lately, the coolant is expanding, flowing into the overflow, and ending up on the ground. Check your radiator cap, if it's full, just siphon out some from the overflow container.

It had definitely been hot. Now that the temperatures are back to normal, it doesn't drip anymore. I siphon small amounts before I ride and check the overflow level once it's cooled down. Eventually I'll get it between the lines. Thanks! :)

Today I tilted the handlebar towards me to try and find a better riding position for my back. Turns out not too bad, but I'm not sure my wrists will like it in the long run. Maybe I'll tilt it back a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

The oem gen 2 bar is poo poo. The sweep is insanely drawn back and it killed my wrists. Moving to a flatter sweep made things way better.

• Locked thread