Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Nice! Does it work? I've been considering picking up an old TV from craigslist (I see free ones fairly regularly) and turning it into an oscilloscope to hook into my turntable.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 6, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

BANME.sh posted:

There's probably a dozen vintage cabinets up for sale on craigslist/kijiji at any given time, usually for cheap. I bought a vintage cabinet for $20 and resurfaced it.

Not in the American Northeast (unless, maybe, you live north of Vermont or something). Almost everything that's worth buying and could be sold under the "vintage/midcentury/vinyl" monikers gets a healthy markup.

If you're willing to spend in the hundreds on used finds then it's also worth looking at the credenza options from CB2 and other similar companies, IMO.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Not in the American Northeast (unless, maybe, you live north of Vermont or something). Almost everything that's worth buying and could be sold under the "vintage/midcentury/vinyl" monikers gets a healthy markup.

If you're willing to spend in the hundreds on used finds then it's also worth looking at the credenza options from CB2 and other similar companies, IMO.

That's not really true at all. Yard sales, estate sales, thrift stores and goodwill are all sources for bargains. If you watch Craigslist every single day and throw a wide net you'll find something you want for the right price. Maybe free.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.

dik-dik posted:

Nice! Does it work? I've been considering picking up an old TV from craigslist (I see free ones fairly regularly) and turning it into an oscilloscope to hook into my turntable.

Unfortunately not. Someone let the magic smoke out before I got it. Main picture tube looks alright, will be getting it checked out soon.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

That is awesome. I have several old larger console tv's that would look great on. The bad news is that I don't know much of anything about electricity and am kind-of scared of it.

How are you liking it? I have a similar model and it sounds great

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Yeah, I loving love Yamahas. They often get ignored by vintage-heads but I think they have the most timeless and classy design out of the whole '70s lot.

Their sound is totally clean (which I think contributes to their being sidelined by Pioneer and Marantz stuff in the resale game)- like high quality modern amps- but with gobs of power behind it.

I have a CR-2040 (one generation newer from the ones we've been talking about) that's my pride and joy but I've been lusting over something from the CR-xx20 line for some time now. They're functionally almost the same but they look different enough to warrant a desire for both.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Yeah I like the sound, but still prefer my Denon or Sansui over it, so I will be selling them soon.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Yeah I like the sound, but still prefer my Denon or Sansui over it, so I will be selling them soon.

Ooh. Keep me in mind? The CR-2020 might be a bit rich for me, but the 1020 might be just what I'm looking for if the price is good.

outofnowhere05
Oct 14, 2004

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
I have the following carts to use between my two turntables (Sanyo TP825D & Marantz 6200).

Shure M97XE (Currently on the Sanyo)
Audio Technica AT95E (Currently on the Marantz)
Signet TK3EA w/ 7EA stylus (came with Marantz, probably last used in the 80's, tested on some of my cheaper records)
Shure R25XT (not in use)

I am interested in at least one stylus upgrade (to start at least). What would be my best bet? I like the sound of all 3. I'm guessing the Shure and the Signet would benefit the most from an upgrade.

Any experience with upgrading these carts?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I put a jico sas stylus on my m97xe and I've been pretty happy with the result

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I've never been able to get rid of the IGD on the m97, would be interested to know if this is a result of lovely QC and third party styli overcome this issue.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I would think that's a stylus and table setup issue more than the cart itself, but I'm not an engineer, so I dunno.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Not too sure, I didn't give up without a fight... with an alignment protractor. Table is SL-1200. I've read elsewhere that this particular arm and cart aren't a great match.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Huh, that's my setup. I just used the technics overhang adjustment dealie and it sounds fine to me. I have the tracking force set to 1ish, anti-skate about the same

What I am saying is, it's all sorcery

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down
Just bought a pair of Dali 2A speakers at a flea market, and man do they ever sound nice. i guess my next upgrade is a better stereo for them, since the cheap hitachi i'm using right now may not exactly be the best quality. They're replacing my other pair of Dali speakers that i also found at a flea market :)

both speakers hooked up. ran a bass test from spotify and everything came out crisp. please ignore my other decorations, i'm a shameless nerd.

EDIT: a quick bit of research revealed that they're from about 86. they're older than me :v

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Oct 11, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

I'm looking to upgrade the cart on my AT-LP120. Currently the Shure M97XE, which can be found for about $70, and the Ortofon 2M Red, which can be found for about $100. Any thoughts on this? It seems most people recommend the Ortofon over the Shure, and for only $30 more it seems like a great deal, assuming that I would be able to hear an improvement between the two. Or is my turntable so cheap that that extra $30 would basically be a waste?

CannedMacabre
Jul 6, 2007

In space, no one
can hear you fart.

Frobbe posted:

EDIT: a quick bit of research revealed that they're from about 86. they're older than me :v

drat kids! :bahgawd:

Frobbe
Jan 19, 2007

Calm Down

Only by one year!!!

EDIT: might as well use this post for something. the current stereo i use is a hitachi micro stereo, and it's all very nice, but i could probably get nicer sound out of nicer gear. who makes a good micro stereo amp or similar? the only feature i use a lot in the current one is the DAB radio, and i could probably do all this much easier via spotify or my own NAS played via that netbook i've got.

so should i look for a micro stereo amp or something more "exotic" like a dedicated amp with usb input and nothing else?

Frobbe fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Oct 12, 2014

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I have a Technics SL-D3 with a Audio Technica CN5625AL .7 mil Conical Half-inch cartridge on it.

A few weeks ago I came home to find my turntable spinning with the needle on the bare platter. Either I must have accidentally hit the auto-start before I left for work, or my dog must have somehow hit it while I was gone. Probably the first one. Which means my needle was dragging on a bare platter for like 8-10 hours. Enough to make a circular mark on the platter. That was easy enough to clean off, but it's not the platter I'm worried about.

I took the headshell off to try and inspect the needle, and it looked surprisingly ok. Not bent left or right or anything, which is really the only thing I could think of to look for. I tried playing one of my old crappy records, and it sounded fine, or at least no crappier than that record normally sounds.

What's the likelihood that I hosed up my needle here? I did try playing one of my better records, and it also sounded fine. But I'm worried that I did something like blunted the tip of the needle and I'm doing irreparable damage to my records by continuing to use it.

I looked up a replacement needle for my cartridge, and it's nearly the same price I paid for the cartridge itself in the first place. So I figure maybe this is a good excuse to upgrade my cartridge. In a lot of reviews for my table, I keep seeing mention of making sure that the cartridge you pick is a good fit for the type of table/tonearm you have. Is there any merit to this? People keep recommending the Shure M97XE (out of my price range) and the AT95E. The 95E seems like a fine cartridge and is in my price range, but I was leaning towards the Ortofon Omega. It's a bit cheaper than the AT, and I like the look of it better than the AT. How can I find out if this cartridge is a good "match" for my table, if that's even a thing and not just audiophile mumbo jumbo?

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
It's mostly audiophile mumbo jumbo. Realistically the only concern you need to have is that the cartridge weight is correct for your tonearm specs, but any common cartridge will be anyway. You only run into incompatibilities once you get into more exotic carts.

The AT95E will be fine.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So should I assume my old needle is hosed?

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

OldSenileGuy posted:

There are a lot of threads on AudioKarma about this (google around using phrases like "when should I replace my stylus" and the like), and the general concensus from what I've read is that the best way to check your needle is to play a record and see how it sounds. Since you've done that and it sounded fine I would guess that it probably is fine.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

OldSenileGuy posted:

If it plays fine and sounds fine, then it's probably fine. A lot of people recommend swapping the needle on a used turntable even if it sounds good, but that has more to do with not knowing what its care/environment/oxidation situation has been and wanting to protect your LPs from damage than for sound quality issues (though I guess it can also be worth doing if you've never heard a particular cart before and want to make sure you're hearing it "at its best"). Generally it's pretty noticeable when your stylus has failed.

All of that said- in my purely anecdotal experience, I had the very same cartridge you do and replaced it with an AT95e after the needle broke. To my ears there was a notable upgrade in sound quality, particularly in the separation between the left and right channels. It's been my "daily driver" for almost two years at this point. I think it's a fantastic cartridge and haven't seen any reason to upgrade. Couldn't tell you about the Ortofon, but I've heard that the M97XE has had quality control issues.

As an aside, I'd argue that switching from a basement-level cart with a conical stylus to an inexpensive one with an elliptical stylus for an extra $20 is going to give you way more ROI than switching from an AT95e to something costing several times as much.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

While we're on the topic of damaged styluses (styli?), is it possible for a damaged stylus to cause sibilance? I accidentally caused my cartridge (AT95E) to drag across the felt mat (don't ask :( ), and now I get a really annoying fuzziness whenever the music has any loud s sounds, which I think is sibilance? Anyway, I re-aligned my cart using the free protractor from vinylengine.com, and the sibilance didn't seem to change much, if at all.

Should I just get a new needle?

E: Wtf why are complete AT95E cartridges cheaper than the stylus on its own????

I actually have a new—different—cartridge coming in in a few days so I'll probably just wait until that gets here, swap it out, and see if it helps, but I also want to know what's happening.

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 16, 2014

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

On old stereo receivers: Are TAPE REC and TAPE MON basically like AUX out ports?

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

dik-dik posted:

On old stereo receivers: Are TAPE REC and TAPE MON basically like AUX out ports?

You can use them like that, yeah.

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

Sweet. Thanks! I found a cheap old receiver on craigslist and I wanted to see if I can use it with my current powered speakers while I shop around for some bookshelf speakers. (not that I would let the inability to use it with my powered monitors stop me—I just wanted to make sure I could before I potentially drove myself crazy trying to do something impossible)

E: GODDAMMIT Don't loving post in the craigslist for a city over an hour away from you :argh:

dik-dik fucked around with this message at 02:07 on Oct 20, 2014

Corez
Dec 3, 2007
I've been hunting for a vintage system for about a year and I just pulled the trigger on a Sansui 8080DB. It's a great unit, I'm really happy with it so far.

The Dolby noise reduction feature is really great for cleaning up lovely recordings that are mixed with lots of background noise / hiss. I find myself using it a lot more than I was expecting to.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Looks sweet. What speakers are you running. B&Ws?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

dik-dik posted:

TAPE REC is line out
TAPE MON is line in

All together known as the tape loop.

Corez
Dec 3, 2007

BigFactory posted:

Looks sweet. What speakers are you running. B&Ws?

They are PSB Image T5s. Picked them up used on CanuckAudioMart last year and they've been treating me pretty well.

jhcain
Nov 8, 2005

EXCEEDING THE LIMIT? I'LL RUN YOUR ASS OFF THE ROAD 'CUZ I'M A PASSIVE-AGRESSIVE SPHINCTER-SUCKER. I FEEL INADEQUATE AS A MAN.

Frobbe posted:

Just bought a pair of Dali 2A speakers at a flea market, and man do they ever sound nice. i guess my next upgrade is a better stereo for them, since the cheap hitachi i'm using right now may not exactly be the best quality. They're replacing my other pair of Dali speakers that i also found at a flea market :)

both speakers hooked up. ran a bass test from spotify and everything came out crisp. please ignore my other decorations, i'm a shameless nerd.

Zoinks! I sold those back in the 80's. The Dali IV was a great setup - those look like the III's; I guess they changed the model #'s around at some point. Any pictures with the grilles off?

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
Okay, I'm on the hunt again for a vintage stereo receiver and probably some vintage speakers to pair with it for setting up my turntable in our living room. Ideally I'm looking at refurbished 1970's Sansui, or Marantz, Pioneer, etc.

Budget is less than $200 but if I can find a bargain deal on craigslist and have it restored w/out paying an arm and a leg then that'd be good too. I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for aesthetics but I don't need a top of the line quad receiver or something high-powered as it just needs to be loud enough to power some smaller speakers for our living room.

My priorities are:
1) sounds good
2) looks good

My questions are... can anybody tell me what the minimum wattage I should be looking for is? What are some good classic speakers I should be keeping an eye out for? Is there an easy explanation somewhere of model numbers for Marantz, Sansui, etc, so I know what to keep an eye out for?

Also looking for a good record player stand/console if anybody has seen any online.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MMD3 posted:

Okay, I'm on the hunt again for a vintage stereo receiver and probably some vintage speakers to pair with it for setting up my turntable in our living room. Ideally I'm looking at refurbished 1970's Sansui, or Marantz, Pioneer, etc.

Budget is less than $200 but if I can find a bargain deal on craigslist and have it restored w/out paying an arm and a leg then that'd be good too. I'm willing to pay a bit of a premium for aesthetics but I don't need a top of the line quad receiver or something high-powered as it just needs to be loud enough to power some smaller speakers for our living room.

My priorities are:
1) sounds good
2) looks good

My questions are... can anybody tell me what the minimum wattage I should be looking for is? What are some good classic speakers I should be keeping an eye out for? Is there an easy explanation somewhere of model numbers for Marantz, Sansui, etc, so I know what to keep an eye out for?

Also looking for a good record player stand/console if anybody has seen any online.

Hopefully you're posting from 2007, otherwise $200 seems like a really short budget for Marantz, Sansui or Pioneer and speakers, refurbished or not.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland

BigFactory posted:

Hopefully you're posting from 2007, otherwise $200 seems like a really short budget for Marantz, Sansui or Pioneer and speakers, refurbished or not.

hmmm...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4713078436.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4723446901.html

There's a record shop in town that actually has a side business refurbing old home stereo equipment and they regularly have them in that price range. Unfortunately their current stock is high end models and quad channel stuff so it's more in the ~$300 range.

If I knew what i was looking at and found the right thing my budget could go up, I just don't feel like I need a flagship model.

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

You can always get lucky. I got my pioneer for 20 bucks in a thrift store and it's pretty perfect

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Ah, you're in Portland. I have no idea why, but that place has huge amounts of vintage gear floating around. You should be able to get better than average prices.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
You've got a shot. Especially if you're willing to go low-wattage. I have a Pioneer SX-690 that I got cleaned and serviced for $80. The 30 WPC rating sounds dinky on paper but it gets just as loud as my 120 WPC Yamaha from the same era (at least within the tolerances I'm willing to test them at) and totally has the same Pioneer sound coloration that the bigger ones do.

With this clade of receivers, WPC has a more noticeable effect on dynamic range than loudness. Most low-wattage vintage amps will provide more than enough power to sound good in a room through most decent speakers and those are often priced to sell when compared to their monster brethren.

Also, you should be open to other, less sought-after manufacturers. I know that all I ever do is talk about Yamaha, but they're a great example of a top-notch brand that's a little off the beaten path and usually less pricey used than the Pioneers/Marantz/etc, though Yamaha's design language and sound profile are admittedly quite a bit different. There are plenty of other companies like Sony and Technics that made good gear and should be considered if the option arises and the price is right.

The same (sorta) goes for speakers too, though you might have an easier time getting some half-decent modern speakers.

My recommendation is to browse Craigslist and google anything of interest to see what the reviews are like. Anything worth thinking about should have an AudioKarma thread.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

MMD3 posted:

hmmm...

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4713078436.html

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/ele/4723446901.html

There's a record shop in town that actually has a side business refurbing old home stereo equipment and they regularly have them in that price range. Unfortunately their current stock is high end models and quad channel stuff so it's more in the ~$300 range.

If I knew what i was looking at and found the right thing my budget could go up, I just don't feel like I need a flagship model.

If you want to add a pair of $15 speakers to those, knock yourself out. I'd rather spend $150 on speakers and find a bargain receiver like a Nikko or something.

Search audiokarma with every model you come across. You'll see some patterns soon enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dik-dik
Feb 21, 2009

You can also look into getting an integrated amp instead of a receiver if you don't care about radio (or if your phone has a radio tuner :pseudo:). You could probably get something like the Philips SA 5200 for about $20.